Start by marking “You Are Enough” as Want to Read:
You Are Enough

You Are Enough

This nonfiction self-help book for young readers with disordered eating and body image problems delivers real talk about eating disorders and body image, tools and information for recovery, and suggestions for dealing with the media messages that contribute so much to disordered eating.

You Are Enough answers questions like:
• What are eating disorders?
• What types of treatm
Published February 19th 2019 by Feiwel and Friends

To ask other readers questions about You Are Enough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Are Enough

Start your review of You Are Enough
Kelly
Feb 18, 2019 added it
This should be a staple in every library, counselor's office, and any other place that works with middle schoolers. It's about eating disorder recovery and how the road is bumpy and confusing, but in addition, it's also very much accessible for anyone struggling with our Diet Culture. Petro-Roy has a great voice and never speaks down to her audience; more, she infuses her own personal experiences of recovery with research and insight from other experts. It's exceptionally inclusive and notes upf ...more
Paul  Hankins
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sharing out for librarians, counselors, and teachers who share books with their middle grade and young adult readers. This is a copy of my review for Petro-Roy's GOOD ENOUGH. I want my comments here to be in the spirit of companionship as the two texts are.

In February 2019, Jen Petro-Roy brings us the story of Riley Logan, a twelve-year old who goes into treatment for anorexia. Told through journal entries that span the course of two months, we see the main character observing the world through
Abby Johnson
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, teen
This excellent guide to eating disorders and recovery is a must-purchase for library shelves. Written from Jen's experience and a TON of research, YOU ARE ENOUGH remains relateable and approachable in its language and inclusivity. This is a guide that is relevant to teens' experiences and never talks down to them. Jen is free about sharing her own experiences, while constantly assuring the reader that her experiences do not stand for everyone's experiences.

This book explores eating disorders an
Andy
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Essentially a self-help book for tweens about body image, I'd recommend for ages 10-15. I appreciate how intentional the book is about the language they use, it is really trying to provide an intersectional view of body image and eating disorders.
Barbara
This book is a 3.5 for me, and I would suggest that all middle grade and high school libraries add it to their collection. Not only does the author write honestly from her own experience with perfectionism and eating disorders, but the book offers many helpful resources and exercises to help readers with the recovery process. Part of that, of course, is recognizing that "You are enough," as the title reminds readers and that perfection is impossible. The chapters are short but contain nuggets of ...more
Arielfranchakyahoo.com
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jen Petro-Roy understands eating disorders and anxiety and reaches out to the middle grade reader with practical and realistic advice, research and personal anecdotes. This book could not possibly be more inclusive and accessible. Petro-Roy goes out of her way to reach out to every possible individual with an eating disorder and even has a chapter dedicated to the language she uses in the book to be “as clear and welcoming as possible.” The entire book is welcoming, from the language Petro-Roy u ...more
Kristin Crouch
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Feiwel & Friends and the author for providing #Collabookation with an ARC to review.
You Are Enough is a book geared toward teenagers struggling with disordered eating or an unhealthy self-concept. However, this book spoke to me in all the best ways. I think many people who grew up during the 70s and 80s have some ingrained ideas about what people 'should' look like. I bought into these ideas for a long time, accepting the privilege of fitting into the mold until I had my second chi
Kelly
Kaylee Holcomb
This book is truly one of a kind. It’s written so if you feel like skipping a part that doesn’t apply to you, it won’t affect anything you read elsewhere in the book. This book covers everything you need to know about recovering from multiple types of eating disorders, and ways you can stop feeling self conscious about your body. I don’t have an eating disorder, but I do have a severe lack of self confidence. After reading this book, I believe that I can change the way I think about myself and b ...more
Fanna
Jan 24, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2019-releases
|| Self-help
|| Real talk about Eating Disorders & Body Image
|| Mental Health

LISTS OR POSTS I'VE MENTIONED THIS BOOK IN

8 MOST ANTICIPATED NON-FICTION BOOKS RELEASING IN 2019 || HELP YOURSELF & LEARN THROUGH THESE BOOKS

Blog/Website | Twitter | Tumblr | Instagram |
Erin Logan
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
From the author of Good Enough comes a guide to understanding and discovering desirable qualities in one's self. This book isn't a fix-all manual but can easily serve as a guide to a young person (or older for that matter) struggling with self-acceptance on many levels. Jen Petro-Roy reveals raw details of herself while offering tips on understanding that You Are Enough. I feel like this is a pretty essential title for any secondary library.
Susan
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YOU ARE ENOUGH is an invaluable nonfiction resource which offers a quickly referenced, detailed table of contents of the answers to any and all questions about eating disorders. It’s a great resource for anyone who is affected by an eating disorder in anyway. This needs to be on library shelves and in every counselor’s and social worker’s office.
Ms. Yingling
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

This nonfiction self-help book is an excellent companion to Good Enough. Again, it is an #ownvoices book, and Petro-Roy draws on her own experiences with an eating disorder to address a number of concerns that people in recovery might have. She is very good about being inclusive about the types of people who might need this information; even though most novels about anorexia depict middle class, white, cis-gendered characters, the reality is that many different people su
Michelle
Jan 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Filled with the bland platitudes that well meaning parents hope their struggling children will take to heart.

Nothing is wrong with this book. The content is well researched, citing though leaders in eating disorder recovery. I'm merely of the opinion that those thought leaders said it more eloquently.

If this book does triumph in one way, it takes to task the stereotype of someone with an eating disorder and addresses black bodies, trans bodies, and larger bodies, as well as the thin cis white
Anne
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
This is an informational book about body image and eating disorder recovery. The author had an eating disorder so her voice comes through as caring, upbeat, chatty, and concerned. Information is authentic, also because of the author's experiences. Chapters are short and positive with suggestions and tips for how to be healthy. Also gives the signs and warnings for when you need more professional help and where to get it.

The voice sounds really young, which was off-putting to me, but readers may
Christine
This was a good nonfiction companion to Petro-Roy's Good Enough. I appreciated the use of inclusive language throughout. Petro-Roy was sensitive to the experiences of people who are ignored or underrepresented when discussing eating disorders (e.g., cisgender males, transgender and non-binary people, overweight individuals). I wished that there would had been a book like this one when I needed it fifteen years ago. As an adult, I found myself skimming some of the chapters because I knew the info ...more
Etchison
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
A caring, authentic, and practical book on the process of recovering from disordered eating and/or body image disorders. Includes information specifically for young people in the LGBTQ+ community, which I thought was incredibly helpful. Also addresses the stereotypes that exist around who has eating disorders (skinny, white, female), and how that is problematic for others who need treatment but don't fit those stereotypes.
Michelle
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Informative and appropriate for the target audience without dumbing down any of the information. Mentions populations not often addressed in literature such as fat people, LGBTQ+ teens, and boys. Subject handled with care; author knows not to mention anything that could be misconstrued as a tip or trick to somebody with an eating disorder.
Julie Kirchner
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a powerful informational book told in a conversational tone, sort of like you are getting advice from a trusted friend. The author has lived through and is in recovery for an eating disorder. She gives an honest account of her own experiences and shares her words of wisdom in an age appropriate manner with significant research and multiple resources for further support and learning.
Karen
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Non-fiction companion to 2020-2021 MSBA-nominated Good Enough, Petro-Roy offers this guide to overcoming eating disorders and developing a positive body image. This is a great book for those seeking help -- including resources and sources for scholarships, those doing research, and everyone who needs a little body positivity in their lives.
Dawn Ferencz
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great purchase for middle school and high school libraries. It is written in a kind and logical voice and provides important, accurative, and helpful information for any young person who might be dealing with an eating disorder or body image issues.
Reshamad
Non fiction self help around eating disorders. A VERY relevant and important topic but also very accessible to readers. Packed full of information, feels very authentic and provides much needed guidance to anyone who might be suffering from this.
Libby Lazar
Mar 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: recovery
This is a great book that reinforces DBT and CBT skills, and reminds the reader over and over again of their worth. My only complaint is this book can be triggering, and wouldn’t recommend this as an audiobook! If you’re reading this, remember, you ARE enough 💕
Jodi
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommend.
Joy
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Definitely aimed at a young adult audience.
Alexis
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I received this book as part of my Lit Review Crew.

I had not read a self-help on eating disorders before and I was not disappointed. This book had such great advice and connections with the author. I feel like it could help so many people battling an eating disorder or any mental health issues.
Jennifer Hottinger
Excellent read for students and adults with disordered eating tendencies, but also a reminder that You are Enough!
Teresa Grabs
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You Are Enough is a fascinating insight into the world of eating disorders, treatment, and recovery by someone who has been there. I have never had an eating disorder, but related to many things Petro-Roy stated in the book. Self-esteem, confidence, and one's relationship with food is universal. As a parent, many of the topics touched on in the book could serve as a "how to parent" so that healthy relationships with food can develop. As Petro-Roy wrote, there is no "normal" when it comes to food ...more
Clementine
Feb 20, 2019 added it
Shelves: ya, non-fiction, 2019, mg
So...I don't know. I think there's a lot of good stuff here, particularly related to anxiety and body image in general, but a lot of the science is...bad. And quoting people like Ragen Chastain feels really, really weird.

An inclusive resource to be sure, and full of up-to-date terminology about HAES and body positivity (including whatever that means to you), but the bad science gives me...a lot of pause.
Chari
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice informational book on eating disorders and tips to prevent them and deal with them. Much needed book for our teenage girls.

• Free Lunch
  • Some Places More Than Others
  • What Lane?
  • Start Here: A Parent's Guide to Helping Children and Teens through Mental Health Challenges
  • Kiss Number 8
  • Other Words for Home
  • Seven Days
  • When Stars Are Scattered
  • Clap When You Land
Jen Petro-Roy is the author of the middle grade contemporary novel P.S. I MISS YOU (releasing by Macmillan/Feiwel and Friends in Fall 2017). Jen is a teen librarian who lives with her husband and two daughters in Massachusetts.