Start by marking “After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again” as Want to Read:
After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again

After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again

4.50  ·  Rating details ·  5,701 ratings  ·  1,226 reviews
My name is Humpty Dumpty.
I'm famous for falling off a wall.

(You may have heard about it.)

But that's only half the story...
Because I decided to get back up.
And when I did, something amazing happened.

This story is about my life...
AFTER THE FALL.

Inspiring and unforgettable, this epilogue to the beloved classic nursery rhyme will encourage even the most afraid to overcome the
Hardcover, First Edition (US/CAN), 40 pages
Published October 3rd 2017 by Roaring Brook Press

To ask other readers questions about After the Fall, please sign up.
Dan Santat No. It's just about Humpty Dumpty overcoming his fear of heights

·  5,701 ratings  ·  1,226 reviews

Start your review of After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
Betsy
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes its easy to forget in the midst of all those picture books about farting dogs, night kitchens, and giant dance parties that initially literature for children had a primary purpose: To instruct. Specifically, to instill in young people a clear-cut sense of right and wrong. Learning to read was all well and good, but what’s the point if you can’t impart some wisdom of the elders along the way? And before you start feeling so superior in your 21st century fancypants, I would remind you th ...more
David Schaafsma
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #15 of 2017.

Tara: 4.5 stars. I loved it! Vert pretty, too.
Harry (12): (2.5 stars). I like how he transformed himself into a bird, but the story wasn't the best we read.
Hank (11): (3.7 stars). I like how he faced his fears and jumped with the birds.
Lyra (10): (4 stars). Beautiful
Donalyn
Beautiful and brilliant.
Calista
Inspiring! This book lifted my heart up. What happens after Humpty Dumpty fell off that wall. Well he was put back together and he became afraid. When he was on the wall, he was in the light. Now he lived in the shadows of the wall. He missed the light and the birds. Eventually, he builds a paper airplane and flies it. It lands on top of the wall in the light. So goes after it and transforms like a caterpillar into a bird free to fly. He can once again be free in the world of light.

This book is
Christopher
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
I can honestly say I loved everything about this book. The artwork, the story, that cereal box aisle - I just loved it all!
Hilary
Apr 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Hilary by: Found in the library
Very short story telling how after Humpty had a fall he was scared of high places. He conquered his fear by climbing to the top of the wall again. I didn't like the art work much and I felt the story didn't have much more than a you-can-do-it message. Personally I felt it wasn't a good wall to climb in the first place.
Manybooks
Considering that I have thus far not really been all that enamoured of Dan Santat as an illustrator (and actually have found even his Caldecott Hounour winning The Adventures of Beekle quite visually taxing and frustrating), I was indeed more than a bit leery with regard to After the Fall (and that amongst my Goodreads friends, the star rankings have vacillated between one star and five stars has also made me a trifle suspicious). However, as I had After the Fall downloaded on my Ipad and was no ...more
Kate
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I don't know if it's because the world is a messy pile of garbage right now, but this hit me just the right way and gave me a case of tears.
Lani
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, retelling
Great for little kids that might have anxiety issues. Or even adults that have a burning need to know what happened to Humpty after he fell.
Pamela
Aww.... Such an adorably delightful book!!! A contemporary retelling of the most famous egg in fiction: Humpty Dumpty!

Humpty finally gets the happily ever after he so deserves. Reminding us all, young and old alike, that a dream deferred, isn't the end of the world - if we keep on believing and rise to the challenge, breaking free, to be all we were meant to be. And FLY!

FIVE ***** Reimagined and Delightfully Retold, Beautifully Illustrated, Children's Picture Book, Bold ***** STARS to
Danielle
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is wonderful in every way.
Would pair very nicely with The Red Tree.
La Coccinelle
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Who knew Humpty Dumpty had PTSD?

This was a really cute book that takes place after the rhyme. What happened to Humpty Dumpty after that fall? Well, apparently, he developed a severe phobia that prevented him from enjoying his life the way he had before.

The message about facing your fears, one step at a time, is a nice one, complemented by some beautiful illustrations. At first, I wasn't really sure about the ending, but yeah, I guess it makes a sort of sense (you'll see when you read it).

All in
Carrie Gelson
Kind of impossible to talk about this book without giving anything away. I will just say this. I read a LOT of picture books. I often find books that touch an emotional nerve or inspire a sense of awe or make me laugh out loud. I am amazed at the calibre of titles that continue to be published. But I don’t often find myself completely surprised. This book surprised me. The ending caught me off guard and I loved it!
Cheryl
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-enjoy-again
omg
Yes, it's obviously inspirational, like a self-help book or an instant classic. But instead of being syrupy, it's hilarious. Check out, for one example, the shelves of cereal choices as the higher the shelf, the more tempting the cereal. And I love that there's a particular reason that this is the folk rhyme that was developed into this story....

Second read. Omg again.
Suad Shamma
Nov 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017, own
Wow, looks like I am literally the only one giving this book a bad review. I admit that makes me feel a little bad about doing this, but I can't really change my opinion because others felt differently.

I purchased this book after seeing it nominated for Best Picture Book as part of the goodreads Choice Awards 2017. I liked the concept, I liked the idea and my kid loves Humpty Dumpty so I thought it would be such fun reading this with him.

Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the quality of the b
Lesley Burnap
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sublime artistry in words and pictures. So much to unpack. Cannot do it here. Get this one for yourself, then share another copy with those you love, teach, care about...Thanks, Mr. Santat. ❤️

My 100th book for 2017.
Krissy
Jan 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-tristan
***Rated by my son***
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
Loved this! Not to often that you get a picture book about the after effects of trauma and even less often that it's actually enjoyable to read.

This is just fantastic. There wasn't an illustration I didn't love, but the page with the cereal was pretty great.
Samantha
Genius. A great story about dealing with the aftermath of an incident that profoundly affects your life. In this case, readers get a look at how Humpty Dumpty dealt with the aftermath of his fall from the wall. I really appreciated the way that after Humpty Dumpty was physically put back together readers were introduced to the ways in which he dealt with his mental reaction to the fall.

There is so much good here and the ending is incredibly uplifting. I predicted that I'd like this book, but I
Bookishrealm
This was so stinking cute! Everyone is familiar with the story of Humpty Dumpty and how he fell and was put back together, but this book explores what happens after that tragic incident. Like most of us who experience tragic events, Humpty Dumpty had a difficult time dealing with heights after the accident. He appeared to have anxiety and a certain level of fear when he had to do any activity that required him to climb off the ground. However, he comes to realize that he has to overcome these fe ...more
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Our beloved nursery rhyme friend Humpty Dumpty is not only physically pieced back together but also emotionally healed. This is a story about overcoming fear and anxiety so one can “get back on the horse,” so to speak, and sore through life with confidence!
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
The classic nursery rhyme Humpty Dumpty retold but with beautiful illustrations and a great story-line. We all need a little motivational story in our lives and this is definitely one of those reads!
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing

After the Fall is a 6 Star gem for me! It had the perfect blend of meaning and heart and unique-ness. I loved it!

We all know the tale….Humpty Dumpty had a “Great Fall”. But what happened to Humpty Dumpty after the fall? Our cute-as-can-be egg hero might look all put back together again, but---“There were some parts that couldn’t be healed with bandages and glue.” That face! Humpty’s look of sadness and fear broke my heart! Poor Humpty developed a fear of heights after his fall. A fear that keeps
jendlo
ONE OF *THE* BEST PICTURE BOOKS OF LATE!

...All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
Or, so the nursery rhyme goes.🤴🐴

In this tale (oh, the🥚🦅puns it lends itself to), Humpty apprises readers that the king's men were able to put him back together; only, "[t]here were some parts that couldn't be healed with bandages and glue."🤕 He was left emotionally scarred, afraid of heights.

Told with brevity, humor, and heart, it's an uplifting story of grit and conquering o
Kristen
So I read this to a group of 1st and 2nd graders today and was surprised by how emotional it made me. "When we fall, we get back up," I said at the end, with a crack in my voice and maybe a tear in my eye. There's something really powerful about this message and I think adults benefit from this message just as much as kids do.

I was a little worried the kids wouldn't think it was silly enough or be engaged by it, but they LOVED this. There was a clamor at the end for who would get to check it ou
Janet
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a funny, thoughtful book about fear and anxiety as well as resilience. Santat always knocks it out of the park when it comes to the art (you'll love the color choices on the pages where Humpty is shopping for cereal), and his tales are sensitive without losing their sense of humor.
Emma
May 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I freaking loved this. Fantastic artwork and a great story. And that ending!
paula
You know a picture book is exceptional when you finish it shaking your head and muttering a bunch of admiring expletives, then flip to the front and read it again. Holy moly.
Alyson (Kid Lit Frenzy)
Wow! What an emotionally inspiring and beautiful book. Dan outdid himself.

Deborah
Jul 20, 2017 added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Dan Santat has completely outdone himself with this book. Can't say much without spoiling, but... WOW.
Mock Caldecott 2021: * Our 2018 Mock Caldecott Award Winner is: 24 185 Feb 17, 2018 05:02PM

• The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
  • We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Jabari Jumps (Jabari, #1)
  • The Bad Seed (The Bad Seed, #1)
  • Be Quiet!
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!
  • A Different Pond
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • The Book of Mistakes
  • Alma and How She Got Her Name
  • A Perfect Day
  • The Wolf, the Duck, and the Mouse

Articles featuring this book

Have you already surpassed your 2018 Reading Challenge? That's fantastic. Congrats! But then this isn't for you. This is for the rest o...