Start by marking “Don't Save Anything: The Uncollected Writings of James Salter” as Want to Read:
Don't Save Anything: The Uncollected Writings of James Salter

Don't Save Anything: The Uncollected Writings of James Salter

James Salter is recognized as one of America’s most important writers. The author of many memorable works of fiction—including Dusk and Other Stories, which won the PEN/Faulkner Award—he is also celebrated for his memoirs and many non-fiction essays.

In her preface, Kay Salter writes,“Don’t Save Anything is a volume of the best of Jim’s non-fiction—articles published but n
Published November 14th 2017 by Counterpoint Press LLC

To ask other readers questions about Don't Save Anything, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Save Anything

Start your review of Don't Save Anything: The Uncollected Writings of James Salter
John Thorndike
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Salter often writes about luxuriant and sophisticated lives—portraits of Aspen, of Paris, of serious downhill skiing—but I’ve never felt that he writes to build himself up. Rather (as Michael Colby quotes in his excellent review), he writes to find “the incredible joy of putting into words the essence of what you for the moment understand.” He writes because words are essential, because without them we’d be lost: “it is write or disappear.”

Without language, he says, we’d have nothing. “There is
Dax
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars, nonfiction
Profiles on prominant figures, essays on writing and writers, thoughts on pop culture, and reflections on experiences in France and Aspen- all in the unmatched prose of James Salter. I just don’t come across writing like Salter’s very often, and so I savor every word he puts down on paper. Excellent.
Liina Bachmann
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
Maybe not for everyone but I am fairly sure fans of Salter would enjoy it. Some of the pieces were not interesting for me as the subject matter leaves me cold (some of the military ones, as well as few of the literary profiles) however the ones on writing, Paris and Aspen were again very enjoyable. Overall, the style is pure gold, of course.
Michael Colby
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading James Salter has always been pitch-perfect to my ear, an almost exasperating level of craft and story, leaving no clues or fingerprints behind. After his passing a couple of years ago, his wife, Kay Eldredge Salter, began curating his nonfiction work. It is an enormous collection, as Salter wrote for all kinds of publications, from Outside to the New Yorker and Food & Wine in between. The collection – “Don’t Save Anything” -- is out now, and it’s a tremendous offering.

Salter could have
Franc
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don't Save Anything like most posthumous collections of magazine pieces, is mixed nuts. Mostly peanuts written for glossies like Life, Conde Nast Traveler, People (James Salter published an interview with the Nabokovs in People?!). There are few Brazil nuts to be skipped and discarded, and many tasty cashews. The best of these bracket the book: a couple of opening why-I-write essays, and to close the book, a collection of beautiful and curmudgeonly beware-of-the-military-industrial-complex valed ...more
Beth
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: essays
I wasn't interested in all of the essay topics, but I just love reading Salter's clear, pure prose. I'm about to track down Dusk and Other Stories, which won the PEN/Faulkner award.
Will
May 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Salter is Salter, but People Magazine pieces are People Magazine pieces. You know?
Abby
Feb 04, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: essays, nonfiction
Love his novels; found this collection a bit dull.
Matthew Vaughan
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful writing. Can't recommend enough. I will be reading more Salter, for sure.
Catrien Deys
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Even some subjects that aren't that interesting to me, are worth reading when written by James Salter
Karen Roberts
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Each of his collected writings are absolute gems from start to finish. I treasure this collection.
Connie Kronlokken
Lovely writing, especially about mountaineering and skiing.
Anne, Unfinished Woman
Wonderful essays on D'Annuncio and on what literature is today, particularly relevant to the Henry V seminar I am currently taking, spoken versus written language.
tatiana

• The Beautiful Ones
  • The Cost of Living: A Working Autobiography
  • Stalingrad: The Fateful Siege, 1942–1943
  • The Mother of All Questions
  • The Last of His Kind: The Life and Adventures of Bradford Washburn, America's Boldest Mountaineer
  • Curzon: Imperial Statesman
  • No Way Down: Life and Death on K2
  • Freedom Climbers
  • Arnhem: The Battle for the Bridges, 1944
  • Why the Allies Won
James Salter (1925 - 2015) was a novelist, short story writer, and screenwriter. Salter grew up in New York City and was a career officer and Air Force pilot until his mid-thirties, when the success of his first novel (The Hunters, 1957) led to a fulltime writing career. Salter’s potent, lyrical prose earned him acclaim from critics, readers, and fellow novelists. His novel A Sport and a Pastime ( ...more

News & Interviews

“Gertrude Stein, when asked why she wrote, replied "For praise." Lorca said he wrote to be loved. Faulkner said a writer wrote for glory. I may at times have written for those reasons, it's hard to know. Overall I write because I see the world in a certain way that no dialogue or series of them can begin to describe, that no book can fully render, though the greatest books thrill in their attempt.
A great book may be an accident, but a good one is a possibility, and it is thinking of that that one writes. In short, to achieve. The rest takes care of itself, and so much praise is given to insignificant things that there is hardly any sense in striving for it.
In the end, writing is like a prison, an island from which you will never be released but which is a kind of paradise: the solitude, the thoughts, the incredible joy of putting into words the essence of what you for the moment understand and with your whole heart want to believe.”
1 likes