Start by marking “You Know What?” as Want to Read:
You Know What?

You Know What?

Oliver should go to sleep. But there is so much he wants to tell his mother about: what happened that day, the things he read in books, everything he sees around him. A touching and familiar picture book about postponing the ritual of going to sleep."
Published September 1st 2017 by Clavis (first published December 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about You Know What?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Know What?

Start your review of You Know What?
Leslie Hecht-finger
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am a grandmother to a three and a half year old. I purchased this book because of the title " You Know What?" was just so intriguing. I brought it home and read it to my granddaughter. She not only loved the story and would follow up every page with saying to me, " Grandma, you know what?", but she loved the illustrations too and loved finding the bunny on each page, because she goes to sleep every night with a bunny of her own. Great story and have enjoyed reading this to her as often as poss ...more
Danielle
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Oliver's flood of observations and questions for his mother is delightful, as is his bunny companion in every scene. I really liked how this was all dialogue, and how that was handled, with Oliver's speech bolded. A sweet, relatable journey toward bedtime with a satisfying ending.
Christy
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely and funny true-to-life bedtime read. The author nails the child's voice and portrays a close and tender relationship between mother and child. Kids and parents will love reading this together.
Dilsh Wijesinghe
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
"An Advanced Review Copy provided by the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review."
Image result for cute gif pictures
Little Oliver had so much things to tell his mom... What he saw in that day, what he learnt, how he helped others, what he done that day, his imaginations, etc...... And indeed, he wants to spent his time with his loving mom. Here's you got Oliver's fabulous bed time story if you want to know the whole things happened to Oliver in that day. Absolutely sweet, cute bed time story for kids.
Image result for fabulous reading gif pictures
Sto
Storywraps
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every parent on the planet can relate to this story I'm sure. The day is done, Mom's tired, it's time for bed, but little Oliver is wound up and still going strong. His mantra at bedtime? "You know what?"

Now that he has his mother's full attention he starts unloading his day at her non-stop. There are so many interesting topics to tell her about: the things he read in books, what makes the toilet smelly, the discovery of hair up his nose as he
's brushing his teeth, an unmasking of an ant colony
Cheryl Malandrinos
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oliver knows it’s bedtime, but he’s had a busy day and wants to tell mommy all about it.

This is not the first book by Ekster that I’ve read, and I doubt it will be my last. As a former elementary school teacher, she is in tune with what resonates with young people. Oliver continues to toss out the same question to his mommy as he gets ready for bedtime. His tired, yet patient, mommy keeps on listening and encouraging him along the way. It’s a very sweet concept. I also truly enjoyed the artwork
Bonnie Grubman
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I will be reading this wonderful universal story over and over to my grandsons; especially at our sleepovers together. For curious sleepyheads everywhere who can't help but delay their sleep. Beautifully illustrated.
Deatrice
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We go through this!
Cathy Mealey
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Oliver, delightful, exuberant, bunny-toting Oliver, has SO much to tell his mother at the end of a busy day. Delving into the classic childhood technique for stalling the inevitable bedtime, Oliver's mother patiently parries each of his persistent inquiries regarding "You know what?"

While reading, bathing, brushing his teeth, Oliver's brain is whirling and whirring, conjuring new questions to pepper at his mother. When the routine ends, he then reaches back into his day's memories to discuss a t
Steff
Apr 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Our kids love this book. Our oldest has been reading it to our youngest. They love the repetitiveness of the "You know what?" question throughout and the rhythm helps them both follow along repeating. A fun read!
Valerie Bolling
An endearing story about an observant child who likes to share his “noticings” (“turtles poop,” “hairs up my nose”) with his patient mother who is willing to listen. The love between mother and child is evident. The book will connect with children who notice things that may seem obvious to adults, and it will also resonate with the adult reader of the many things children like to share and the questions they ask … often right before bedtime!
Kirsten
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
In this bedtime picture book, one little boy tries to put off the inevitable as long with a familiar refrain: "You know what?" Oliver moves through everyday bedtime routines including bathtime, reading, and getting that last drink of water before he's tucked safely in bed and mom finally gets a break. Readers will enjoy watching Oliver's rabbit and his journey too from waking to sleeping.
Carla Johnson-Hicks
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, netgalley
Oliver has been busy all day learning and wondering about many things. When it is time to go to bed, he wants to share all his news with his mother. "You know what?" starts off a new piece of information. The only problem is that he needs to get ready and climb into bed. A great bedtime book for any kid. I love the things he wants to share, and I am sure kids will too. Things like the smell if you don't flush the toilet and the fact that the hair in his nose doesn't stick out like his dad's does ...more
Paul Franco
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
When a story starts in the bathroom it can only go up from there. Little Oliver would rather talk than go to sleep, and luckily for him he has a patient mom! Especially for a redhead. He’s also got all kinds of cute stuffed animals, which made it easy to understand why he wasn’t afraid of what was under the bed; good reveal of what was really going on under there.
“For little chatterboxes age 4 and up.” Perfect description.
Incredibly cute in all ways.
Rachel Parrott
Sep 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
A child's curiosity and enthusiasm paired with colorful, delightful pictures, "You Know What?" makes for a great bedtime story.

My copy was a gift through Goodreads First Reads.
Jane
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book made me smile throughout. The child's questions and the mother's reactions are very believable, and the cumulative effect is funny. Charming text and illustrations make a great bedtime read.
Tara
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received this ARC from netgalley for an honest review.
This book is really about all the questions moms receive from their inquisitive kids. This book kept me laughing and reminded me of my childhood. I think most parents would get a kick out of this, teachers too.
C
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a truly sweet bedtime book to read with any child that has one more question, needs one more hug, or just one more sip of water before bed. Little Oliver has so much he wants to tell his mom before he goes to sleep and you know what? It is so cute!

This would be a great book to read to smaller children or to read as a call and response story with skilled earlier readers.
Renee Delcourt
May 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Parents with hound kids
I feel for the mom in You know What? Like really feel. This is something every mom has to contend with when it comes to small children. I think the concept is adorable, but some mom's will find this amusing and others may just find the book irritating. I think I was in between both. However, my son's found it funny. At one point my son said "Mama,it's like us!"

The illustrations were perfect in this book. Bright and yet still very calm and soothing. My youngest enjoyed just looking at the pictur
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, net-galley
This sweet little story is about Oliver, who is so full to the brim of things he wants to share with his mum that he has learned and discovered throughout the day. It's a nice short story with a little bit of humour, with some beautiful illustrations. Some of the statements and questions that Oliver makes I'm sure parents and children can both relate to! Recommended as a little bit of light relief and humour before bed.
Megan
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
You Know What? is a sweet picture book about a boy who has lots to tell Mom in order to postpone bedtime. Any parent can relate to this story. The illustrations are cute. The story is just okay. I received a free ARC from NetGalley.
molliekay
An incredibly accurate portrayal of my life with my 3.5 year old.
Bookworm Blogger
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is very colourful and the illustrations are very engaging. I can see a lot of children (and parents!) relating to this bedtime ritual. A nice short story with a few humorous moments as well.
Kirsti Call
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a darling bedtime book that will have you and your kids laughing! The fun text combined with expressive illustrations make for a super fun read-aloud.
Barbara
I simply cannot imagine a parent or teacher of preschoolers or early elementary grades who won't relate to this picture book. Some may smile in recognition of the familiar refrain of "...you know what?" (unpaged) while others may shudder as they recall hours spent trying to put a loquacious child to bed while he/she still has so much more left to share about his/her day or some interesting factual tidbit to share. Honestly, Oliver's mother is more than patient as she responds to his comments. Th ...more
Becky B
Oliver shares various discoveries and thoughts with his mother as he gets ready for bed. Each thought is started with “You know what?”

Oliver’s mother is super patient with her verbose little one. That doesn’t mean she lets him get away with things, though. I like how she offers direction and even says no when it’s for his best. But she lets him have fun too. Oliver’s commentary is certainly random, he goes from thoughts about poop to what’s under his bed to things that happened earlier in the da
Marcia
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This colorful book about a curious little boy makes a fun bedtime story. Like many children, Oliver has a lot of interesting questions, especially when asking those questions delays bedtime. His sleepy mother does her best to keep up the conversation and is rewarded by his last words. Children will enjoy finding the comical bunny in each double spread of this sweet story.
Josh
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A terrific read-aloud story about the time-honored ritual of delaying bedtime with just one more question (and then another and another...). Its a story that will feel very true to any parents or grandparents of young children. Kids will see themselves in Oliver, the curious little boy who doesn't want to go to sleep. Very charming and highly recommended.
Kristen Schroeder
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
YOU KNOW WHAT, by Carol Gordon Ekster, combines two things we see and hear from children so often, curiousity and a desire to stay up later. There is simply not enough time in the day for Oliver to share all of his observations and questions with his mom. Very relatable and fun book, perfect for bedtime.
Kelly
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This sweet story of an inquisitive child who extends those moments before bedtime will resonate with parents and children alike. Peppered with bits of humor, this story’s heart shines throughout. It’s a true keeper that kids will want to return to again and again—and will perhaps incorporate into their own bedtime ritual.

• Library’s Most Wanted
  • For Spacious Skies: Katharine Lee Bates and the Inspiration for "America the Beautiful"
  • Piglette
  • Don't Feed the Bear
  • Rex the . . . We-Don’t-Know
  • The Book of Longings
  • Captain Green and the Plastic Scene
  • All the Way to the Top: How One Girl's Fight for Americans with Disabilities Changed Everything
  • Keep It Moving: Lessons for the Rest of Your Life
  • Amy's Choice
  • The Raindrop Who Couldn't Fall
  • Dusk Explorers
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
Carol Gordon Ekster’s first published children’s book, Where Am I Sleeping Tonight?-A Story of Divorce, Boulden Publishing, 2008, was inspired by one special former student who lived the schedule described in the book. It was an About.com Readers' Choice 2012 finalist for Best Children's Book for Single Parents. Another of her stories was in Library Sparks magazine, February 2010. Her second book, ...more