Start by marking “Creating Stories” as Want to Read:
Creating Stories

Creating Stories

This book has everything I've learned about creating stories over a twenty year career. Here is the book blurb.
Do you want to write fiction, but don’t know how to go about it? Puzzled by creating characters and creating plots? Creating Stories has the answers. Hank Quense, an author of more than twenty books, tells you how to do it. He demystifies fiction writing. Quense b
Published April 1st 2017 by Strange Worlds Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Creating Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creating Stories

Stuart Aken
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This writing manual is about making stories; the creative process and the practical work involved in getting the story from mind to page.
As a fairly ancient and experienced writer, I’ve come across quite a few books about writing, so it’s difficult for an author to present something new for me. In this volume, Hank Quense uses his own experience to develop ideas on a way of approaching the issue of actually creating a story that readers will want to read. He presents his subject matter in access
Terri E Curtis
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read my share of books on writing techniques and new ideas on writing methods in my life, so it was with mixed feelings that I decided to read and review Hank Quense's "Creating Stories". I felt some trepidation wondering what Quense could possibly write about that I haven't read before. I am the author of two children's books which have been published and have been searching for help in moving on to adult writing.

Quense presents many of the same ideas that I've read in other self-help wr
Crystal Reed
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the Foreword, the author says, "Story design and storytelling techniques are much more important that the ability to write well." Even though I don't necessarily agree with that assertion across the board, I decided to read the book and see what the author could deliver related to this premise.

And as you'll notice, I've given the book 5 stars.

The author is extremely thorough in his instruction about how to plan and develop the essential elements of a good story, whether that story is in the f
Writingwellresr
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creating Stories is an excellent discourse on the essential elements of story crafting. Hank Quense has a wonderful ability to make complex concepts simple and easy to understand. The author builds an enjoyable read frosted with bits of humor and dialog. It is a thorough examination of the story design process, which if followed, will lead the writer to success. This book should be an essential part of every writing library.

I was provided with a complimentary copy of this book, through Reading
Mary Blowers
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hank Quense has penned a masterpiece in Creating Stories. The structure of a story, whether it be long or short, story or book, is outlined with detailed instructions on how to make each of these sections work. For instance, rather than being made up of chapters a book is really made up of scenes. There is a standard outline for any story, but very briefly you are introduced to the main characters, and then there’s a conflict, then there is resolution of the conflict.

There are several helpful gr
Rebekaneongirlyahoo.com
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This affordable guide provides a good overview of writing terminology, techniques, and tricks of the trade. However, Hank Quense believes that prospective writers need to complete a great many tasks before tackling their first drafts. This makes perfect sense if you are creating a historical novel, which would naturally require a lot of research as a matter of course. It seems like overkill in other genres.

Historical fiction or time travel novels aside, all you really need is a solid plot outli
Yvonne Glasgow
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Full of diagrams and written almost like a step-by-step guide for authors, 'Creating Stories' is a must-read book if you're a new author or you've been struggling at all with writing your next novel. This is a guidebook for novel writers and short story writers. It covers character development, plot development, and more. In fact, it even gets down to the nitty-gritty of things. I like that it even touches base on things like comedy writing and satire.

As a short story writer myself, I found the
Nana Marie
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book from Reading Deals and I have to admit that I am very thankful for that. It is very helpful, excellent guide for anybody who wants to write: writers, bloggers even marketers using storytelling. You can find there step-by-step instructions, explanations and clarifications how to create a good story. I fully recommend this book!
Pat Garcia
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I started taking my writing career seriously, the book Creating Stories by Hank Quense would have been a great book to have, but that was some years ago.

Writers are people who evolve. We are in a constant process of learning and implementing. We never stop, and so as I began to read Quense’s Creating Stories I found myself treasuring the way he presented his expertise about the writing process.

Creating Stories is a precious jewel, which shows the beginner writer what he or she needs to h
Destiny Brown
Apr 23, 2017
Jon Ureña
Apr 29, 2017
Hank Quense
Jun 18, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fiction-writing
Jun 24, 2019
Authors & Reviewers: Beta Viewers 3 16 Aug 23, 2019 01:27PM
Goodreads Authors...: Beta viewers 1 9 Aug 09, 2019 07:19AM
Indie and Self-Pu...: Fiction writing videos 1 6 Aug 09, 2019 07:12AM
Goodreads Authors...: New Book on Writing Available For Review - Creating Stories 1 8 Feb 02, 2017 09:18AM
Hank Quense writes satirical fantasy and sci-fi.
Early in his writing career, he was strongly influenced by two authors: Douglas Adams and his Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and Joseph Heller’s Catch-22. Happily, Hank has never quite recovered from those experiences.

He lives with his wife in northern New Jersey, a mere 20 miles from Manhattan, thecenter of the galaxy (according to those who live i