Start by marking “The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change” as Want to Read:
The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change

The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change

Managing people is difficult wherever you work, but the tech industry as a whole is pretty bad at it. Tech companies in general lack the experience, tools, texts, and frameworks to do it well. And the handful of books that share tips and tricks of engineering management don t explain how to supervise employees in the face of growth and change.

In this book, author Camille F
Published April 2nd 2017 by O'Reilly Media

To ask other readers questions about The Manager's Path, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Manager's Path

Yevgeniy Brikman
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book does a good job of walking you through the typical career path of a software engineer, from individual contributor all the way up to senior executive. It's a great read for all programmers and not just managers. In fact, if you're still early in your career, you'll find this book especially valuable, as it's a great outline of what to expect later in your career, and some of the things you can do to accelerate your growth.

A few of my favorite insights from the book:

* As you move from
Rod Begbie
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having grown from being an engineer to manager to startup founder, this is probably the best book I’ve read on the topic of technical leadership and management, and one I wish I’d had available to me a decade ago! All those hard lessons I got from screwing up and learning from my mistakes could have been skipped if Camille’s book had existed then!

Though that dreaded word “manager” is in the title, it is not purely valuable to those who have a strong desire to engage in people management. Part of
Leonardo Andreucci
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The best book about management in software development I have ever read! A must read for managers and highly recommended even for individual contributors. It has helped me enormously!
Vicki
May 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
I'm somewhere between individual contributor and management in my career right now (mentoring and, at times, technical lead,) so this book was of interest to me.

I hate to say that this book was disappointing because I enjoy following the author on Twitter and have enjoyed lots of her clear, well-written blog posts about management and technical strategy, particularly ones like "how do individual contributors get stuck".

I think this book essentially tried to stretch those blog posts into an en
Rômulo Oliveira
Mar 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to anyone involved with software engineering management, from individual contributors - willing or not to a managing career move - to senior managers.

It gives a clear view and show countless real life situtations, from first level to CTO, with a perspective of who had experiencied all of it.

Whether or not you are looking for a management career, we as software engineers are going to live most (if not all) of the situtations described in each chapter, directly or indirectly.
Vinayak Hegde
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech-programming
Extremely well written book that takes you through the career progression of a software engineer to managing a small team to VP Engineering and CTO. It talks about the roles and responsibilities of each stage of the technical as well as the techno-managerial career.

The book illustrates the various situations that you will face when you navigate your career through a product startup. Several situations and their solutions resonated with me as I have faced them myself. This is a book written by so
Stephanie
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first "career" book and it was better than I expected. This is great even for non-managers if you happen to land a copy of this because of the chapters devoted to being a great IC and Tech Lead. It has concise advice supplemented by stories about different stages of an engineer's career for those on the manager track all the way up to the top.

Sidenote: I didn't finish as I stopped where it was relevant to my career, but still am considering this finished (for now).
Simon Eskildsen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Good book on the software engineering relevant parts of leadership. The author is well-read in management and leadership and seeks to supplement the existing works with a book more focused on the parts unique to software engineering. I think she does a good job pointing out the differences and similarities, but I wasn't blown away. I wish there wouldn't been more focus on managing projects, communicating with stakeholders, and prioritizing at the project-level. If you manage people and you're in ...more
Douglas Zuniga
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this is one of those must read books not only for those persuing a career in management but for those who day to day have to "deal" with a manager. Topics from what makes a good manager to what can a team member expect from that role.
G. Hussain
Aug 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's a book I give to all engineers and agitators who want people to do better and might see management as needing improvement - by them becoming managers (or at least having a managerial attitude).
Arkajit Dey
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could give this book 6 stars, I would. I rarely buy books, but I bought this one and am glad I did. The book is structured very well, following the career path of a technical employee from being an individual engineer all the way to the upper levels of senior technical management. I found it useful in understanding what the the management job is like at various stages of a typical career and what makes a good manager at each level — the answer, as you might expect, varies and changes with e ...more
Maurício Linhares
Camille's book on tech management is spot on, starts pointing out the basics of management, how tech management differs from management in other fields and the many levels you can find yourself (tech lead, manager, engineering manager, VP and CTO) and stuff you should worry about at all these levels.

She covers day to day work, stuff you will most likely face, problems along the road, ways to perform self evaluation, collect feedback, find blind spots (yeah, you'll figure out people don't tell yo
Sebastian Perez Saaibi
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Camille takes you through an exercise in empathy, clarification and understanding of what technical management entails. As a former technical co-founder and a current manager, this book has been instrumental in understanding the expectations and challenges at each level of seniority on the tech growth ladder. I'm excited about contributing to this content with my own journey. Thanks Camille!
Mindaugas Mozūras
A great book on navigating a career path from Individual Contributor to Manager. Doesn't go into depth on any topic, but provides a good overview. I'm adding to the list of recommendations for new tech leads. The full list:

- The Pragmatic Programmer

- The Elements of Style
- Crucial Conversations
Lei
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great read! Easy to get into and full of pragmatic advice and relatable challenges. I loved the actionable and immediate nature of the things Camille talked about. I found myself highlighting passages and jotting down notes throughout and even picked up a few practices I've already rolled into my day-to-day.
Tsvetomir
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It’s a nice book which walks you throug the career ladder of a sofware development company. The book includes a lot of practical advices for people just starting a job on specific position. I think it’s also useful for people who run their own companies and look for inspiration about building a company culture.

I enjoyed reading it and found some pieces of good advice.
Michael
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
A fantastic take on the world of tech management and progression within. I found myself completely empathising with the parts I've personally experienced and nodding along at common mistakes that I've made or experienced. Would recommend to any software engineer.
Andrew Anderson
Jul 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
The best management book for someone in software that I have read to date. The author walks through the various levels of leadership and illustrates how they build on each other, sharing useful anecdotes and helpful advice the entire way through.

Clear, concise, and not at all self-aggrandizing (which tends to be an issue in management books).
Olena Sovyn
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quite opinionated book, but still contains a lot of great insights. Definitely worth reading
Jeffrey
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. I learned a ton and have been putting lessons into practice. There's plenty of fodder for future roles to have me coming back.
Eric Mannes
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Useful even though I'm neither a manager nor primarily a software engineer.
Owen
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Useful advice through the steps of an engineering manager's development

I've tried many times to read books of advice for managers, and this is the first I've read that reflected my own experience as well as feeling concrete enough to be useful, rather than filled with management platitudes.

I love the fact that the author explicitly focuses on TECHNICAL management and the challenges inherent to leading groups of engineers. I also enjoyed the framing as a progression, with relevant advice for each
Julie
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, professional
This book was really useful to me as someone more interested in the technical leadership track than the people management track. The early chapters covered content useful to the track I'm interested in. The later chapters helped improve my understanding of how various levels of leadership work at tech companies and the various benefits/struggles/tradeoffs/etc., which are useful for better understanding and empathizing with both my immediate manager and people farther up the reporting chain.

I re
Xavier Shay
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Didn't get a heap personally out of it (not surprising, have read A LOT in this area), but good summary and I've already started a) quoting sections to people, and b) recommending to new managers. Much better, more focused, and relevant for new eng manager than something like High Output Management.

Wanasit Tanakitrungruang
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if this book could be the "Programming Pearl" for engineering management. The practicality of the lessons in this book remains to be seen with time.

However, reading this book as a new manager did make me think of reading "Programming Pearl" when I started being a programmer.
John Norman
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Camille Fournier's book The Manager's Path: A Guide for Tech Leaders Navigating Growth and Change is a wonderful guide to understanding the different roles and processes in engineering leadership. If you're in an engineering organization and have wondered about the distribution of responsibility, how and why different people do different things, and how to set up or change your organization: Read it. Some people may want to read this book because it delves into questions such as "what is a tech ...more
Michał Płachta
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book has a lot of content that is categorized in well-thought manner. It is targeted at engineers who want to pursuit management path - from mentors to CTOs. You definitely need to have some experience in the lower management to appreciate advice in the book, especially later chapters. It’s eye opening to see what kind of problems senior managers are struggling with. Author does decent job in delivering the problem descriptions and potential solutions, but more story-based approach would mak ...more
Christof Damian
I should start a list of books I wish I read earlier. This one would definitely be on that list. Thankfully it is fairly recent, so I don't have myself to blame.

Most people that I know in some kind of lead or management role stumbled into them. This was certainly the case for me. One day you are the lone developer in a small shop or start-up and without your fault it does start to grow. All is well until you have a handful of people in the team, suddenly there is a need for some structure and da
Christopher Litsinger
This book is a very short overview of the management career track -- it's probably of most use to an engineer debating making the switch between the technical and management track.
Generally, I agree with what Fournier is saying in the book, and I can see myself recommending it to folks. Fournier's Human centered approach includes great advice like this:
Do remember to be kind. It’s natural and perfectly human to want to be liked by other people. Many of us believe that the way to be liked is to b
Julian Dunn
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Manager's Path is probably the best book on management I have read recently. Note that I didn't qualify that with "engineering management" or "technical management". The recommendations that Fournier provides are applicable to the practice of modern management of high-functioning individuals everywhere, not just in technology. This book, however, provides a much-needed, practical guide for management practices in a field that has, for too long, undervalued or even mocked it as a necessary sk ...more

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
For the 19thC gynaecologist, see Camille Fournier.

Camille Fournier is the former chief technology officer of Rent The Runway and former vice president of technology at Goldman Sachs.

“As you go through various stages of your career, you’ll start to realize how much uncertainty there is in the world. It’s a pretty universal truth that once you get the job you thought you wanted, the enjoyment eventually fades and you find yourself looking for something else. You think you want to work for that cool startup, and you get there only to find it’s a mess. You think you want to be a manager, only to discover that the job is hard and not rewarding in the ways you expected. In all of this uncertainty, the only person you can rely on to pull through it is yourself.” 2 likes
“Listening is the first and most basic skill of managing people. Listening” 0 likes