Start by marking “The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Kill (The Forbidden Game, #3)

The Kill

(The Forbidden Game #3)

The bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries now completes her terrifying romantic horror trilogy. Before disappearing into the Shadow World, Julian takes Jenny Thornton's boyfriend and cousin. To get them back, she must go on a treasure hunt. To lose means paying the devil himself. Consumer sweepstakes.
Published July 1st 1994 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about The Kill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kill

Kayla
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own
In this final book of the series, Jenny must play another game with Julian in order to save Tom and her cousin, Zach, who were captured in the last book. She and her remaining friends travel to Pittsburgh to her grandfather's house where she was first exposed to the Shadow Men. They transport themselves to the Shadow Realm and must navigate a creepy amusement park and collect tokens in order to win "the treasure" of having their friends released. The stakes are higher here as there are other Sha ...more
Starry
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kim M
Feb 05, 2018 rated it liked it
I actually liked this book better than the first one. The reason I'm giving it 3 instead of 4 stars is that the whole story could have ended after the first book and again after the second book. The story is dragged on and not much more is added with each new book, and I got a little tired of reading the same premise three times in a row.

That being said, I liked the amusement park/treasure hunt aspect of this book, and the additions of P.C. and Slug and the grandpa were CREEPY. Most of all, thou
Mada Linx
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a bit sad with the way it ended...doesn’t feel completed to me...I need more
Sakura Koneko
Aug 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who likes the supernatural
Shelves: favorites
I actually picked this up at the same time that I picked up the second book. My father had bought me them with one rule set in place: Do not read these in one night. Sadly, I did not follow his rule, but I don't think he found out (at the time I read a lot, so thusly I cost him a lot of money since I was fond of owning the books rather than getting them on loan from a library).

This was a very exciting end to this series, which also ended up tying up some loose ends and giving a little relief to
Chrissie
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-retro-horror
The amusement theme park was a fun and campy setting for Julian's latest game. Everything gets resolved in the bittersweet end.
Keertana
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished The Kill less than five minutes ago and my mind is still reeling from the sheer perfection of it. I think the hardest part about writing a series - or even a book for that matter - is finding a way to wrap everything up perfectly. Rowling is one of the few authors who has been able to write a completely satisfactory ending, and I am proud to add L.J. Smith to that category as well. (Did anyone else notice how their names have two initials and then their last name...coincidence much? ...more
Tatiana
Aug 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Вот и финал. Отличная серия!
Vanessa
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A great finale!

This was probably my favourite book in the trilogy, which, normaly it does not happen often that the last one is my favourite!

I still cannot understand why Jenny would chose Tom over Julian, but oh well...

Jenny still became stronger in this final instalment and she sort of grew to become the leader of their small group of friends. It was nice seeing how the others trusted her blindly and didn't question her decisions anymore in the end. They understood that - even though not psy
Astoria
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Still crying my eyes out, the last chapters, were amazingly beautiful and bitter sweet.
I dislike Tom very much.

Julian was the real hero in this book.

"No, I'll dream another dream," he said. "I've made up so many things, now I'll just go into one. I'll be part of it."

I really wish there was a sequel to this, or that someone would carve his name , so he would come back.
Veronica Morfi
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5/5

The Kill is the third and final book in The Forbidden Game Trilogy and for me it was also the best one. In this book Jenny and her friends are once again faced against Julian's Games and nightmares for one final time, and they have to win in order to save Tom and Zach from the Shadow World. The Game this time is a Treasure Hunt and it takes place in an amusement park. That was by far the scariest setting, with so many creepy possibilities.

I loved that in the final book we got to se
Jenna
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Paranormal fans
What a series ender! May I say that it was Unexpected but it was a real good ending! Seriously. The KILL is the BEST ADVENTURE and game of the 3. I loved that the book explained a lot of history etc. Kinda wrapped up the series when Michael (?) said the FIRST game was a race since it was time-constrained. SEcOnD game was like solving puzzles as they try to make out of the riddles and try to save each lives, the LAST game was treasure hunting, as they search for gold doubloons (coins) to be able ...more
Yasi
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Very good! THIS WAS THE BEST PART OF STORY. I liked it. A nice and sad ending. Nice chalenges ... liked it
قشنگ بود و خوشحال بودم که از حالت تکراری کتاب در اومده و مثل قسمت های قبل نیست. واقعا جالب بود و هیجانش به مراتب از قسمت های قبل بیشتر بود .
اگر بخوام کابوس خودم رو بگم، من از جادوگرهای پیگشویی واقعا میترسم. از آن پلاستیکیا که باید پول بدهی و... با وجود داستان باحلش توی ویزاردز آف ویورلی پلیس،
)wizards of viurly (?) Place)
ترسناکن. از هکر های زنجیره ایه بزرگ هم میترسم. یه کابوس قدیمیم دارم که
Abbie
Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars
This was a brilliant end to the series.

I loved that it was set in an amusement park. It made the story even creepier.
Leo defiantly gave me the creeps!

I remembered what happened at the end (The main part, anyway) so i should have been more prepared for it... but i still found it really sad! (view spoiler)

I'm really looking forward to re-reading L.J Smiths other fantastic books!
Hanim
Sep 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who loves a good book, especially with fantasy, supernatural or mysterious undertones..
Recommended to Hanim by: a friend in middle school (Vanessa or Stacy)
This entire series is amazing, the imagery is wonderful and sucks you into the story. It is right up there with Christopher Pike and R.L. Stine's top books from the early 90s, fashioned towards the young female readers bordering middle school and high school.
I had these books for years until the mysteriously disappeared (I bet my roommate in college DID take them) and have been looking for the author's info ever since.

Sam
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me ages to find this one in the shops but my god was it worth it, again one of the few PH books I've kept. It is a fantastic finale to the trilogy and has you gripped at every word and every turn of the page.
Olivia Hennis
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars with caveat of you really need to read the first 2, definitely not a standalone, but great and solid finish to the series. Check out the podcast episode where we chatted about it for more of my review: http://papercutspodcast.com/?p=1097
Ezgi Tülü
Dec 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebooks
He was—he was the most impossible—the most infuriating—
She had never met anyone as—as—
And he scared her. She didn’t want to try to imagine what he might do next.
Lorien
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this series over 20 years ago, but I remember being so into it. Julian was probably one of my first fictional crushes.
María
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Buen final. Mejor de lo que esperaba. Por lo menos, todo cierra y el sacrificio de Julián es la frutilla del postre: el mejor regalo es mostrar que siempre existe la bondad.
Me gustó el pensamiento final de Jenny: sí vuelve a nacer, desearle lo mejor...
Cindy
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Julian is playing one last game with Jenny and her friends. He has captured Tom and Zach and trapped them in the Shadow World. It is up to Jenny, Dee, Audrey, and Michael to find them and bring them back. But, as they previously learned, Julian doesn't like to lose. What will Julian do if Jenny wins? Will he step aside and let everyone go home or does he still have one more trick up his sleeve?

There is no doubt in my mind that this trilogy was inspired by Labyrinth. At lest a small part of it.

Th
C.
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, vintage, ya
Gorgeousness in the form of Romantic horror.
Summer
This one ended up being a little bit of a guilty pleasure... the incorporation of folklore and the overall writing of the various mystery and horror elements.... and even the sappy ending. I really enjoyed all those things.

That being said, the plot has some convenient holes and some useless characters, and honestly Jenny is a Mary-Sue.

But overall, it was a fun read.
Taryn
Isn't the point of reading a story to see how the characters survive some life changing ordeal and come out stronger for it? As in, things change? Someone obviously didn't mention that to L.J. Smith, because Jenny and her gang of misfits end up in the same place that they started, except now Julian isn't watching Jenny from the shadows.

Jenny and her friends go into the Shadow World to save Tom and Zach. Along the way, they find Summer, who I totally knew wasn't dead. The two guys that stole the
Meg
Feb 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was left a little disappointed with the first two books after I had built this series up in my head, but this third book made it all worthwhile. I began reading the series because I had heard that there were parallels between Julian and Jareth from Labyrinth, and I love Labyrinth, although obsess would be a more accurate verb, so I had to read the books. I wasn't disappointed on that score, which is why I still gave the first two books 4 stars. There was a lot to remind me of Labyrinth, which ...more
Nigham
This is for the second time that I wanted evil to live more.

Well, the story’s about seven friends, an evil force and a game... a forbidden one! A game for which you would have to sworn an oath... and that would be irrevocable...

Seven friends include Jenny, Tom, Audrey, Michael, Zach, Summer and Dee!

And the evil...??? Well, the evil is a shadow man who’s responsible for showing you, your darkest nightmares... but this time he wants more... He wants Jenny!!!

Why? Whyyyy??? Because...

He was evi
Bex
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Bex by: jazmine Pivott
Shelves: e-books, own
Rating: 4.5/5

When Julian took Tom and Zach to the Shadow world, Jenny was determined to follow and bring them back. Now she and her friends, Audrey, Dee and Michael, have come to her Grandfather's house to search for a way into Julian's Realm. But when they find themselves in Joyland Park, the amusement park Jenny loved as a kid; it seems their plan hasn't worked. However, like everything else in the Shadow World, nothing is as it seems and soon the four are involved in a treasure hunt for three
Kseniia Okhremenko
Книги серии не удивили своей толщиной, все такие же тощие и читаются буквально за два часа.
Начиная читать трилогию, я думала, что сюжет будет чем то походит на "Джуманджи": попали в игру и тут опасность, там опасность, везде опасность. Да, так оно и было, но тут главным героям пришлось разбираться не с придуманными создателем игры кошмарами, а своими собственными ужасными снами. Идея с кошмарами мне понравилась, но вот инструменты ее реализации слегка подкачали.
Персонажи. Как меня бесила эта Дж
Megan
Book 3 of 3. The Forbidden Game trilogy. Very good. Middle school level reading. However, has many classic themes that all ages will enjoy. Find, read, and re-read! (put on keeper shelf!)

This time the Game is a quest. Julian had taken Tom and Zach at the end of The Chase and invited the rest to the Shadow World. “If you want them, come on a treasure hunt. But remember: if you lose, there’s the devil to pay.” The only way Jenny knows to get to the Shadow World is through her grandfather’s basemen
  • Evil Thirst (The Last Vampire, #5)
  • Fatal Secrets (Point Horror, #24)
  • The Yearbook
  • Dream Date
  • The Dead Game (Point Horror)
  • Truth or Die (Nightmare Hall, #15)
I have a new blog about my Vampire Diaries fanfic.

L.J. SMITH, Lisa Jane Smith, is the New York Times #1 Bestselling author of The Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, The Forbidden Game, Dark Visions, Wildworld and Night World series. She has written over two dozen books for children and young adults, and has enjoyed writing every one of them. She lives in th

The Forbidden Game (3 books)
  • The Hunter (The Forbidden Game, #1)
  • The Chase (The Forbidden Game, #2)
“I love you," she said. "You made me fall in love with you. I don't care how tall you are or what color your hair is-I care about you. You make me laugh. You're smart. You're gentle. And you're real, you're a real person, not some jock with a facade that's going to fall apart when I get to know him. I know you already, and I love you, you idiot. I don't care what you do with toilet paper.” 245 likes
“You showed me what it was like to love. What the world could be like, if” 82 likes