Start by marking “A Tale of Two Kitties (A Magical Cats Mystery, #9)” as Want to Read:
A Tale of Two Kitties (A Magical Cats Mystery, #9)

A Tale of Two Kitties

(Magical Cats Mystery #9)

In this charming mystery from the bestselling author of Paws and Effect, two magical cats have powers of detection that prove indispensable to librarian Kathleen Paulson…

Published September 5th 2017 by Berkeley

To ask other readers questions about A Tale of Two Kitties, please sign up.
Darla I apologize for the lateness of my answer. I hope it still provides some help for you. This book can be read on its own and you'd probably enjoy it;…moreI apologize for the lateness of my answer. I hope it still provides some help for you. This book can be read on its own and you'd probably enjoy it; however, you'd get a better feel for the town and the characters after reading the previous eight books. The books all add up to let you get to know who everyone is and how things came to be.(less)
Darla While it is an adult book, there isn't anything truly suggestive in it. I would feel comfortable having my teenaged granddaughter read it. That being…moreWhile it is an adult book, there isn't anything truly suggestive in it. I would feel comfortable having my teenaged granddaughter read it. That being said though, I wouldn't go any younger than late teens or a mature mid-teenager.(less)

LORI CASWELL
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
Dollycas’s Thoughts

These adorable kitties will steal your heart forever. This intuitive pair, Hercules and Owen, are each magical in their own way and totally devoted to their person, Kathleen. They try to go everywhere she goes and sometimes stow themselves away when she refuses to take them along. The usually go one at a time though, together, away from home, could be a bit of a handful. They understand her both in what she says and what she feels. They do an excellent job at judging other peo
Yvonne
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen Paulson’s friend, Simon Janes, is in the midst of an old family scandal when both his father and uncle show up in Mayville Heights. Unfortunately, Kathleen finds Simon’s father, Leo, dead and she’s right in the middle of it all. She knows Simon would never hurt his father, but the police don’t agree. Not even her detective boyfriend agrees with her. Kathleen vows to prove Simon’s innocence but it’s not easy.

Kathleen uncovers some deeply hidden Mayville Heights secrets. With the help of
Juli
Sep 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Magical Cats books are easily in my top three favorite cozy mystery series. I enjoy the characters, the antics of the cats, and the interesting problems that pop up in Mayville Heights, MN. Head Librarian Kathleen Paulson came to town to help with renovations to the city library, and 9 books later she is a vital part of the small community. Her cats, Owen and Hercules, are amazing. Not only do they seem to understand what people say to them, but they have strange powers. Owen can become invi ...more
Betsy
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another home run by Sofie Kelly.

Book #9 in Magical Cat series. This is probably my most loved cozy series. I love all the characters especially Owen and Hercules. The interaction between them and the MC is what makes the books for me. It does not hurt the the MC is a librarian. Highly recommended. 4 stars
Lisa Ks Book Reviews
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another magically fun visit with Hercules and Owen!

In A TALE OF TWO KITTIES, author Sofie Kelly’s talent for writing, and amazing imagination shine their brightest. Book nine is every bit as wonderful as the eight that came before.

I loved the interaction between protagonist, Kathleen and her furry housemates, Owen and Hercules. They’re the coolest cats in town, and some of the best crime solvers out there. Their antics and abilities always make for an entertaining read.

Mystery and intrigue wer
Kevin
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This series and this book in particular is a lot of fun, it was just released this week and I haven't heard of another book coming but I sure hope that the series hasn't ended, I love the characters and I'd like to see more books in the future. The book has a bonus short story so that alone is good news!
Terry ~ Huntress of Erudition
This is a pleasant contrast to fast paced murder mysteries - the narrative seems to be very close to the Mitford series by Jan Karon. I love the "Mrrr" sound her cats make, just like mine. It is a cosy mystery to read with tea and cookies before bedtime.
Karen
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Such a charming series! Sofie Kelly has a lovely cozy mystery series with two magical cats that add a hint of magic in each case. Librarian Kathleen has her finger on the pulse of the community and library but even she gets caught up in very old family drama and town history, before she knows it she is knee deep in not just the troubles in the past but in a very troubling discovery. With lots of heart and a great capacity for curiosity, the mystery starts to unfold. I enjoyed this story and Kath ...more
Katie
There were more strangers than usual, so that was good. It was a bigger pool of suspects and victims!

I know that some of this just comes with the territory in the cozy mystery genre., but I wish there was a litttttle more forward motion in the overall plot and characters. Specifically, (view spoiler)

The short story at the end was cute. I give it four stars.
Pamela
Kathleen sorts through the mystery of the death of her library aide's grandfather. Lots of suspects, twists and turns. With the help of her two 'magical' cats - Owen & Hercules - she's hot on the trail of the murderer. If you love cozies and cats, this is a very good read! I really enjoy this series and anxiously await the next!
Kelly
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**I voluntarily read this ARC**

I absolutely love the small town Minnesota setting. I also love how Owen and Hercules have actual distinct personalities. The mystery was great but slightly predictable. The way the past and present were woven together to tell the story was wonderful and made it feel more realistic.
Jenndian
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
So happy I won this ARC through Penguin's First to Read! I've been looking forward to reading this since the last book! Kelly did not disappoint. It's always great to catch up with Kathleen and her magical cats Owen and Hercules. A great mystery tied to Mail that has been lost for 20 years. Kelly creates a cast of well-thought out, believable characters and a good mystery full of twists and turns that keep the reader invested in finding out whodunit!
Lisa Morin
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
A Tale of Two Kitties by Sofie Kelly is an excellent book. You will find yourself on a wild adventure with Owen & Hercules running the show.
Mayville Heights is the setting for their current adventure and when they are digging into a twenty-year-old scandal, Kathleen needs their help more than ever.
The scandal includes Kathleen's good friend Simon, and when the police look at him as a suspect in a gruesome murder, Kathleen and her dynamic duo set off to find answers.

This series just gets bett
Mary Brown
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Synopsis:

With a well-placed paw on a keyboard or a pointed stare, Kathleen’s two cats, Hercules and Owen, have helped her to solve cases in the past—so she has learned to trust their instincts. But she will need to rely on them more than ever when a twenty-year-old scandal leads to murder…

The arrival of the Janes brothers has th
Carole Jarvis
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Reviewed at The Power of Words: http://bit.ly/2xS7bT2

A Tale of Two Kitties … enchanting, impressive, entertaining, humorous, enjoyable in every way. I am so thankful for the opportunity to review this book because I’ve discovered a new favorite author in the process. Sofie Kelly is an excellent storyteller and has crafted a charming cozy mystery series. Cat lovers like me will absolutely fall in love with Owen and Hercules – and that the protagonist is a librarian is an added bonus for avid read
Randee
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, 2017-wom
A Magical Cats Mystery is the very first cat cozy series I ever read, starting with the first one in the series "Curiosity Thrilled the Cat." I began it rather reluctantly because even though I like mysteries and I like mystery series (Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin being my all time favorite by Rex Stout), I thought a cat cozy with 'magical' cats would be cheesy, dumb, poorly written and perhaps even written with a target audience of below average IQ's. Wow.....was I wrong. I am glad I have an open ...more
Jessica Fischer
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I recently discovered this author via her Second Chance Cat Mystery series, written as Sofie Ryan. I fell in love with that series and knew I had to read this series as well.

Kathleen's temporary move to Mayville Heights has become permanent, and over the course of that happening she's made lots of friends in the close-knit town. One of those friends is Simon Janes, the dad of one of her employees, Mia. When Simon is a suspect in his father's murder, Kath knows he couldn't be responsible and that
Kacey/Kris
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very anticipated read. I love the writing style and familiar feelings the pages held. The author really brings out a good mystery with the use of her pet cats. When I read her last book I immediately wanted to read her next. You won’t be disappointed in the dynamic duo who help crack another case!
Amanda
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book 1) because of its perfect title and 2) I try to mix up my reading material and “magical cat mystery” is a genre into which I had not yet delved. Honestly, I expected to roll my eyes all the way through. I could not have been more wrong. I was charmed from the jump. The mystery I could take or leave, but I found myself very invested in how many marshmallows Kathleen was adding to her daily hot chocolate and who showed up for tai chi class. To be fair, as a librarian and cat ...more
Lesa
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Everyone who knows me knows I love cats. And, I frequently read mysteries involving cats. But, I'm not a pushover for every book about cats, especially magical cats. I've always been a little skeptical about Sofie Kelly's Magical Cats Mysteries. Yes, I can suspend disbelief. But, magical cats solving a mystery? I have to admit Kelly's A Tale of Two Kitties is an excellent mystery with likeable characters. I'm now fully on board with this series.

Minnesota librarian Kathleen Paulson doesn't know t
Pages: 336
Publisher: Berkeley
Date: September 5, 2017

Summary:

The arrival of the Janes brothers has the little town of Mayville Heights buzzing. Every
The Cozy Review
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A Tale of Two Kitties: Magical Cats Series
Author: Sofie Kelly
Publisher: Berkley

Kathleen Paulson’s two cats, Hercules and Owen, are very unusual and indispensable at times. They help her solve murder cases in their own unique way. So it is no surprise that she needs their help whether she asked for it or not to solve the latest murder.

Mayville Heights is filled with gossip and curious stares 3when the Janes brothers, Leo and Victor, are both back home after a long time away. Gossip rolls through
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Librarian Kathleen Paulson is enjoying the good life as librarian of her little town in Minnesota. She has a great boyfriend in Police Officer Marcus and the joy of living with two magical cats, Owen and Hercules.

But life’s about to take a twist in Mayville Heights when two brothers, Victor and Leo, return after a long absence. Leo’s son Simon, and his daughter, Mia, still live in Mayville Heights. But the arrival of Victor and Leo brings back old wounds. At one point Victor had an affair with L
OpenBookSociety.com

Synopsis:

Kristina
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, cozy-mysteries
A Tale of Two Kitties by Sofie Kelly is the ninth mystery in A Magical Cats Mystery series. Kathleen Paulson is a librarian in Mayville Heights, Minnesota and owns (well, as much as you can own a cat) two special cats named Owen and Hercules. When remodeling a local post office, undelivered mail and photos were discovered. The library has agreed to take possession of the photos. Kathleen wants to find a way to identify the people in the photos and get them in the hands of family. Twin brothers, ...more
Autumn
Oct 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“A Tale of Two Kitties” is the ninth installment in the charming and delightful “magical cats” series by Sofie Kelly. Librarian Kathleen Paulson is on the case yet again - this time solving the murder of Leo Janes, the grandfather of Mia, the high school student who works at the library. Leo has come to town to try to reconcile with his estranged twin brother, Victor, and is found dead a few days after his arrival.

I love this series and have not read the last two books, so I’ve been away from Ma
Jeanie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: obs
This was a fun read; I loved it! Kathleen is back with Owen, Hercules, and Fred the Funky Chicken, better than ever!

The grandfather of Mia, an intern at the library, has been murdered and her father Simon is the main suspect. It takes all of Kathleen's and boyfriend Marcus' investigating skills (separate, of course, since Detective Marcus can't share what he knows). Herc, Owen, and Kathleen's conversations with friends deliver the clues, but at the end of the day, is there anyone to have Kathlee
Gina
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I admit to not reading this series in about 3 years AND skipping over several books in the series in order to read this one, but with the quick run-down of backstory, I was able to jump right in and get reacquainted with the characters. Ms. Kelly makes sure that any new readers opening any of her Magical Cats books do not feel they need to read the series in order--which is a real blessing. However, I do recommend one does read this entire series... It's quite good!

That being said, I do love a d
Valerie
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this series. Kathleen, Hercules and Owen keep you entertained.
The cats are like mini detectives.
We got two mysteries going on. When twenty year old mail is found at the post office it ends up at the library for Kathleen to figure out whom it belongs to.
Simon's father Leo finally comes to town to visit. His twin brother, Victor shows up to try to reconcile with him, because he's sick and dying. But that might not be the only reason for his visit. Everyone remembers the scandal
Darla
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Kathleen along with her magic cats, Hercules and Owen, have another mystery to solve. The Leo and Victor Janes are in town and the town is buzzing. It seems that Victor is trying to reconcile with Leo after having had an affair with Leo's wife, Meredith, years ago. Shortly afterwards Meredith was killed in a car accident on her way back to town.

Kathleen finds Leo dead and the murder mystery begins. Marcus handles it from the police perspective while Kathleen and the cats work a different angle.
Goodreads Librari...: Please update page count 2 19 Sep 22, 2017 06:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add book cover 4 191 Mar 14, 2017 06:18PM
  • Telling Tails (Second Chance Cat Mystery, #4)
  • By Familiar Means (Witch's Cat Mystery, #2)
  • Not a Creature Was Purring (Paws & Claws Mystery #5)
  • Murder Go Round (Witch City Mystery, #4)
  • Arsenic and Old Books (Cat in the Stacks, #6)
  • Wrong Side of the Paw  (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #6)
  • To Catch a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery #8)
  • Twice Told Tail (Black Cat Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Hitting the Books (Library Lover's Mystery, #9)
Sofie Kelly is the pseudonym of young adult writer and mixed-media artist, Darlene Ryan. Sofie/Darlene lives on the east coast with her husband and daughter. In her spare time she practices Wu style tai chi and likes to prowl around thrift stores. And she admits to having a small crush on Matt Lauer.

She also writes as Sofie Ryan.

Magical Cats Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Curiosity Thrilled the Cat (A Magical Cats Mystery, #1)
  • Sleight of Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #2)
  • Copycat Killing (A Magical Cats Mystery, #3)
  • Cat Trick (A Magical Cats Mystery, #4)
  • Final Catcall (A Magical Cats Mystery, #5)
  • A Midwinter's Tail (A Magical Cats Mystery, #6)
  • Faux Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #7)
  • Paws and Effect (A Magical Cats Mystery, #8)
  • The Cats Came Back (A Magical Cats Mystery #10)
  • A Night's Tail (Magical Cats Book 11)
“Hitchcock said: ‘There is no terror in the bang, only in the anticipation of it.” 0 likes
“Being able to walk through walls or disappear weren't the only skills my cats had. They seemed to have an uncanny ability to, well, solve crime. They were like two small, furry Sherlock Holmeses.” 0 likes