Start by marking “Beastchild” as Want to Read:
Beastchild

Beastchild

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Naoli came to Earth as conquerors, while the last men skulked through the ruins of their civilization. The two races, Human and Naoli, were the most powerful intelligences in the galaxy -- and destined to be immediate and perpetual enemies! The adult Hulann met the boy Leo ... and each became a traitor to his race. For it was only through treason that the future of eac ...more
Published 1970 by Lancer Books

To ask other readers questions about Beastchild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beastchild

Jody Austin
Feb 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
When this books was republished in 1992. Dean Koontz wrote an introduction as to what was happening in the world in 1969 when he was writing this story. Many of the fears and concerns he had about the world in general are similar to what some of the characters are feeling. This book is pure science fiction, but shows the action and suspense that Dean Koontz is famous for today.

In the story, Earth has been overtaken by a race of aliens called the naoli, lizard-like creatures. Most humans have be
Jim C
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is by Dean Koontz and is a science fiction book. Yes, before Koontz made it big with his suspense novels he authored science fiction novels. In this one, there has been a war between humans and naoli and humankind is essentially wiped out. Hulann who is a naoli finds a human and instead of fighting they become friends and so much more.

Slowly I have been going thru Dean Koontz early works when I can find one for a decent price. This has to be the best one yet that I have read. I loved t
TK421
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
An amazing antiwar novel than can be applied today... A hunter has no soul.
Ralph Carlson
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I believe this to be one of the best of Koontz's early science fiction novels.
Nigel
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good early story in the career of Koontz. This was has multiple facets to it. It has obvious Sci-Fi overtones dealing as it does with an alien invasion of earth. It does however go beyond a novel comprising simply of an alien versus humanity war. In my opinion at its heart this is book about discovering similarities between disparate peoples. When one of the alien invaders discovers an 11 year old human boy on the archaeological dig site he is working on, it is duty to hand him over to ...more
Ghoule
Aug 04, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
J'ai longtemps pensé que Dean Koontz était un sous-Stephen King, un écrivain de second ordre, sans avoir la moindre preuve de cette pensée.

J'ai dû voir deux ou trois des adaptations cinématographiques tirées des oeuvres de cet auteur, ce qui ne veut pas dire grand chose dans les faits puisque lui-même les renie.

Curieusement, ce qu'il renie aussi, si je me fie à mes lectures sur à ce sujet, ce sont ses oeuvres publiées dans les années 70.

La seule que j'ai lue de lui, c'est cette traduction de "
Al
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it

The text has been typeset from the authors restored original manuscript with a new authors preface. The illustrations are printed on Lustro Gloss and the limitation sheet has been printed letterpress on Fabriano Ingres. When Dean checked the proofs for this book he wanted to know why Charnel House felt the need to rewrite his twenty year old novel. It turned out that the publisher of the paperback original did and it was this source that was used as manuscript that the proofs were made from. Eve

Mary
Jul 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: koontz, sci-fi
I have been trying to work my way through early Dean Koontz books and have enjoyed them. This one was a semi-science fiction story but what my focus ended up on was that wars can be fought for total MISunderstandings--that your enemy just may be your friend...I am glad that Koontz basically left science fiction behind and went for suspense but many of his later books manage to throw in a bit of weird stuff that I guess is a bit like science fiction. As always I have to say that his writing impro ...more
Kim Dallmeier
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sci fi enthusiast
I really enjoyed this Dean Koontz 70's Sci Fi novel about a galactic war between Humans and Naolis, the Lizard People, and the fact that the story is told by a Human-Sympathizer Lizard.

I also really loved how Koontz thoroughly described the Alien Race's behavioral patterns such as how they manifest fear, by rolling their tails around their thighs,... which really gave the story even more depth and general interest. Very enjoyable novel to read.
Yves
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Ce roman raconte l'histoire de la rencontre entre Léo, un jeune humain et Hulann, un Naoli. Les Naoli ont exterminé presque entièrement les humains et l'alliance entre ces deux personnages pourraient éviter l'élimination totale.

Je n'avais aucune attente face à ce livre et je dois dire que j'ai été très agréablement surpris. Il y a longtemps que je n'avais pas lu un aussi bon roman de science-fiction. Le livre me rappelais les bons romans d'Asimov. Je l'ai dévoré en trois jours.
Janall
Aug 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: my-ebooks
Decent read. Humans have found the way to routinely travel the stars, and unwittingly create a war because and the astronauts represent the worst of humanity (emotionless arrogant, cold). Now humans are on the verge of extinction because of a misunderstanding.
Pam Larson
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Early Koontz sci fi. Interesting point of view, that of an alien archeologist attached to the invasion force. Fast-paced.
Simeonberesford
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science, fiction
There are supposedly major differences between the two versions
Takedown
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Very cool book, remind me of The Avatar in some things.
Simon Gelling
Dec 15, 2013
Yesenia
Jul 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Fall of the Dream Machine / The Star Venturers (Ace Double, 22600)
  • Children of the Storm
  • Surrounded (Tucker Series, Book 2)
  • Dragonfly
  • House of Ghosts
  • Hitler's Panzers: The Lightning Attacks that Revolutionized Warfare
  • Dean Koontz: A Writer's Biography

Dean R. Koontz has also published under the na
More about Dean Koontz...