Start by marking “Crime Scene (Clay Edison #1)” as Want to Read:
Crime Scene (Clay Edison #1)

Crime Scene

(Clay Edison #1)

Natural causes or foul play? That's the question Clay Edison must answer each time he examines a body. Figuring out motives and chasing down suspects aren't part of his beat--not until a seemingly open-and-shut case proves to be more than meets his highly trained eye.

Eccentric, reclusive Walter Rennert lies cold at the bottom of his stairs. At first glance the scene looks
Published August 1st 2017 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Crime Scene, please sign up.
Marta
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kaceey
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Great new series from father and son team Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman!

There are 5 manners of death. It’s up to the investigators in the Coroner's office to determine what category they each fall into.

Deputy Sheriff Clay Edison of the Coroner's office is called to a home in the Berkeley area to investigate a seemingly accidental death. A body at the bottom of the stair case. Simple enough - people trip and fall down the stairs all the time, right? Well, the dead mans’ daughter Tatiana is on the
Matt
Dec 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
In another joint effort, Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman seek to hit the reset button after a miserable writing venture about monsters and other such inane topics. After taking a breather, this piece allows their true colours to shine through, crafting a superior series debut novel. Clay Edison has quite the life as a deputy sheriff with the county coroner’s office. Edison attends crime scenes to help move along the manner of death and working to notify families of loss, when appropriate. While the ...more
Mackey
Sep 25, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 rounded up to be nice

Years ago I was a devoted Jonathan Kellerman fan and even read some of his wife's books. Kellerman has a way with prose that is so easy, flowing and gentle that you simply go merrily along from beginning to end. Which, unfortunately, was my problem. I like a bit of a challenge in my reading, whether it's a classic, a comedy or a cozy mystery. Excite me, teach me, tell me something I don't know. Sadly, Kellerman's books are so formulaic that they all just blend together.
Jill McGill
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book does not disappoint! A solid thriller!

Crime Scene by father and son duo, Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman, is the first book in a new exciting series that features Clay Edison, a Deputy Sheriff with the Coroner's Office, and former basketball star. Clay will easily become a fan favorite with his winning personality and strong character.

Clay Edison finds himself drawn into a complicated investigation, the death of Walter Rennert, a retired psychology professor. His death brings on multiple
Carrie
Jul 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Clay Edison is an investigator for coroner’s office of the sheriff's department when he gets a call to come investigate a possibly suspicious death. Arriving at the scene the victim's daughter, Tatiana, has insisted that her father was pushed down his stairway and that it couldn't possibly have been an accident. Tatiana insists her father has been living in fear of a man from his past for years that had already killed someone else.

After digging into the scene and the evidence including an autop
Maureen Carden
Gosh that Jonathan Kellerman fella sure can write. I can tell from all of the awards he has won over the years.
Seriously now, wife Faye Kellerman is also an outstanding writer, so son Jesse has some serious writing chops in his background. Jonathan and Jesse have teamed up to write the first in a series featuring Clay Edison, a deputy assigned as a death investigator with the Coroner's bureau of Alameda County in California.
Edison's job is strictly to help determine the manner of death whethe
Monnie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If the name Kellerman is on it, it's a pretty sure bet I'll like it. Over many years, I've devoured just about every book by Jonathan, his wife Faye, and their son Jesse. I've also learned, though, that collaborations don't always live up to their hype, and sometimes the first book in a series falls flat. But neither am I one to look a gift horse in the mouth: Pass up an opportunity to read an advance copy of anything written by favorite authors in exchange for an honest review? Just ain't gonna ...more
Kathi Defranc
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A police procedural from a different perspective, from the Coroner..Wonderful writing by Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman, father and son! I have long been a fan pf anything Jonathan wrote and this story is no exception. Deputy Sheriff Clay Edison works in the coroners office, where he tries to put peoples minds at ease when investigating the death of a loved one. Called to a 'fall' death, he meets the daughter of the deceased, a young woman who believes her dad was pushed/murdered. This starts an i ...more
Bookread2day
I liked The Murder Book one of Jonathan Kellerman's earlier books, much better than this one. The paperback Crime Scene I'm sorry to say I just didn't get into.
Paige Turner
Aug 13, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Two words. Boring and disappointing. I am a big fan of Jonathan Kellerman, his wife Faye and his son Jesse, but this book did not live up to the Kellerman family reputation. It plodded a long. Took me three days to get through it because I kept putting it down out of boredom. There is very little, if any, suspense and the ending is blah. The book flap says "The twisting trail Clay follows will lead him into the darkest corners of the human soul. It's his job to listen to the tales of the dead. B ...more
Sharon Grutsch
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. I liked the mix of psychology and forensics. The characters are likable , at least the ones you’re supposed to like are. I’ll read more. Definitely.
Yellagirlgc
This book was VERY different from the usual Kellerman books. It was really a story about going above and beyond the call of duty for no other reason but it being the right reason. Deputy coroner Clay Edison was a charmer that I could clearly visualize from the words written about him. I hope this isn't the only glimpse into his life that I'll get.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my copy to review.
BrotherSkip
Sep 13, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Started off good but fell flat. More boring then exciting.
Angela Holtz
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it
**I was given a free digital copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.**

I read The Golem of Hollywood by this father-son duo, and I loved it. Not surprising, my favorite fiction couple is Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis (psychiatrist and police detective duo from the mind of Jonathan Kellerman).

But I felt like I struggled through more of this story than I would like. The characters felt one sided and the crime solving was making such big leaps that even the other characters were tell
Michelle
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read a few of the Alex Delaware series but I kind of lost interest. I was hesitant to read this book written with his son but the reviews seem to like it so I gave it a shot. I’m glad I did I really enjoyed it. It was quick paced and I found the main character quite interesting. This series definitely seems promising.
Vontel
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Would give it a 2.5. Co-written with his son Jesse, the start of a new series featuring Clay Edison, a deputy coroner in Alameda County in California. Will have to see how it goes as I am reading through the book. It's different from solo books by Jonathan, much looser. I have always enjoyed the Alex Delaware books. Alex Delaware had a cameo in chapter 12, which was the extent of his connection to this story.

The book would have benefitted from some serious editing. It wandered, so I found it har
Alisa
Hhmm.....I liked it but didn't love it. Full review to come.
Deb Jones
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
The plot was very slow to start. By page 98 I was wondering whether reading on was worth the effort. I did continue and the action picked up a bit, but I never felt as if this an "edge of your seat" story.

Protagonist Clay Edison is a likable character; his job as a deputy sheriff in the coroner's office the basis of the action. He becomes personally embroiled in what clearly appears to be a natural death when he beds the decedent's daughter. The route to justice is long and winding.
Shannon
Very good book from father/son writing team! I have love Jonthan Kllerman books and now I am gonna love his sons book too
Thomas Bruso
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Father and son authors Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman collaborate on a thrilling new mystery, “Crime Scene,” the first in a new series.

Former star athlete turned deputy coroner Clay Edison is presented with a case of accidental death — or so it seems to the young deputy at first glance. It is one of many peculiar cases that land in the deputy’s hands.

Reclusive, eccentric, once-respected psychology professor Walter Rennert lies dead at the foot of his staircase. What looks like a case of booze and
Donna Davis
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kellerman's fans, discounted, used, or library
Crime Scene is the first in the Clay Edison series, written by a father and son team. Big thanks to Net Galley and Random House Ballantine for the DRC, which I received in exchange for this honest review. I rate this mystery 3.5 stars and round it upward.

Edison is a coroner’s investigator, and he finds himself drawn into an ugly, complicated murder, seduced by the lovely Tatiana, who I find myself disliking much earlier than the protagonist does. There’s the psychological component here that’s
Elaine Tomasso
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Headline for a review copy of Crime Scene, the first novel to feature Coroner's Deputy Clay Edison, set in the Bay Area.

Clay is called out to assess a death scene. Walter Rennert has apparently had a cardiac event and fallen down the stairs. His daughter, Tatiana, insists he was murdered and offers as evidence the fact that his former colleague and friend died in the same way. Although it is not his job Clay's attraction to Tatiana convinces him to take a look
Alasandra Alawine
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
When an old man, Walter Rennert, falls to his death after having a heart attack his attractive daughter informs Clay (the deputy coroner) that he was murdered and that a former colleague of his also fell to his death not to long ago after a killer who took part in one of their studies was released from prison.

Clay puts off ruling the death natural causes in order to appease the daughter that he soon starts sleeping with until he discovers that she is sleeping around. But by that time he is convi
Donna
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clay Edison, deputy coroner, heads to a call of a body at the bottom of a staircase. Preliminary contact with the scene seems to indicate an accidental fall. However, the man's daughter is there and insists her father has been pushed to his death. Clay doesn't really suspect murder but he finds a couple of items in the home that seem a little out of place and his gut feeling tells him there is more to this story.

I learned about the investigators in the coroner's office. I guess I've always equa
Laura Ruetz
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a tightly written thriller with a lot of elements that really work, from the characters to the plot. The pacing is steady, so it never feels like it lags or slows down. This looks like the first book of a series that I'm going to be a huge fan of. Solid thriller.
Nicole
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
I thought this was a good story. Wasn't as exciting as I had hoped for
Tgordon
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great start to a series I hope to continue to enjoy. The new hero of this book is a ME so constructing the dead back from death to life. Family is again a hinderance and somewhat maybe involved in the final days of the body. Can’t wait for the next!
Fredrick Danysh
Deputy Clay Elison works in the San Francisco corner's office. An accidental death leads him to question the results as well as two previous deaths. All are connected to a failed college research study. The Kellermans introduce a new series with a cameo appearance by Alex Deleware. Full of twists and turns.
Bob
Aug 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deputy Coroner Clay Edison has a case he is troubled over the cause of death and he decides to hold off closing it while he does some detective work and ends up with more then he bargained for.
Quillracer
Nov 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like Jonathan Kellerman so I was interested to see how his son would do.

In a word: poorly.

The secondary characters seemed to come straight out of central casting. We had the obnoxious rich wife, the temptress daughter, the alcoholic ex-detective, the doubting superior, and on and on. Clay Edison, the main character, had nothing to set him apart from the 140,000 other main characters.

Even the plot line – a police official (in this case a coroner’s investigator) continues to pursue a case he’s b

• Walking Shadows (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #25)
  • Alter Ego (Jonathan Stride #9)
  • City of Secrets: A Mystery
  • Slaughter (Frank Quinn, #10)
  • Every Second (Kate Page, #3)
  • Love in Amsterdam (Van Der Valk #1)
  • The Soprano Wore Falsettos (The Liturgical Mystery #4)
  • A June of Ordinary Murders (Joe Swallow, #1)
  • Murder in Passy (Aimee Leduc Investigations #11)
  • The Conjure-Man Dies: A Mystery Tale of Dark Harlem
  • The Executor
  • Ox Herding: A Secular Pilgrimage
  • The Wedding Soup Murder (An Italian Kitchen Mystery, #2)
  • Next of Kin (Detective Buddy Lock Mysteries #1)
  • Sweet Dreams Boxed Set
  • Last Girl Gone (Laura Chambers Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in the Museum
  • The Letter Writer
Jonathan Kellerman was born in New York City in 1949 and grew up in Los Angeles. He helped work his way through UCLA as an editorial cartoonist, columnist, editor and freelance musician. As a senior, at the age of 22, he won a Samuel Goldwyn Writing Award for fiction.

Like his fictional protagonist, Alex Delaware, Jonathan received at Ph.D. in psychology at the age of 24, with a specialty in the t

Clay Edison (3 books)
  • A Measure of Darkness (Clay Edison, #2)
  • Half Moon Bay (Clay Edison, #3)
“Family. It’s an incurable disease.” 1 likes