Start by marking “The Shadow Hour” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Shadow Hour

Melissa Grey

The Shadow Hour

(The Girl at Midnight #2)

The much-anticipated sequel to The Girl at Midnight, the book Danielle Page, bestselling author of Dorothy Must Die, called "inventive, gorgeous, and epic."

"Catnip for fans of Cassandra Clare." --BookPage.com on The Girl at Midnight

Everything in Echo's life changed in a blinding flash when she learned the startling truth: she is the firebird, the creature of light that is said to brin/>/>"Catnip
Published June 6th 2017 by Ember (first published July 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow Hour

Start your review of The Shadow Hour
Alyssa
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
3.5 stars. Not as good as the first, and there is a cliffhanger, but solid.

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

The Shadow Hour by Melissa Grey
Book Two of The Girl at Midnight series
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Publication Date: July 12, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Official Summary:

Everything in Echo's life changed in a blinding flash when she learned the startling truth: she is the firebird, the creature of light that is said to bring peace.

The firebird has come into the world, but it
Cece ❀Rants, Raves &Reviews❀
“Echo hadn’t just found the firebird. She was the firebird. Holy. Shit.”
This is the second book where all the separate adventures and pieces of the first book finally come together.... yay

I was a little worried about all the different characters. I mean the first book was great for the characters and I didn't want them to lose that spark. The group dynamic was wonderfully written, and each character kept their unique perspective while learning to tolerate each other.

Of course there were some bumps in
Kiki
Feb 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So in lieu of the upcoming menthol cigarette ban across the UK, coming to a much-beloved Tesco tobacco counter near you, my sister and I decided to start trying e-cigarettes. Neither of us have stopped smoking cigarettes, but are supplementing with real tobacco and fake tobacco, both to cut down on cost and to prepare for the eventual switch over (dun dun DUN).

But here's the thing. Vaping is not really smoking. Vaping is to smoking what coconut sorbet is to ice cream. It's okay, but sort of thin and
Trina (Between Chapters)
I didn't enjoy this as much as the first book, but I think a large part of that had to do with the audiobook format. I wasn't a fan of the voices the narrator used for most of the male characters, they all sounded the same and I often couldn't tell which character was speaking. Also, an element I loved so much about the first book was all of the travel, and listening instead of reading caused me to miss some of the details. I often didn't know where the characters were because they move around s ...more
Kristin Hackett (SuperSpaceChick)
Originally posted on Super Space Chick:

The Shadow Hour by Melissa Grey is the second book in The Girl at Midnight series which picks up right where book one ends. The Girl at Midnight was one of my favorite reads of 2015 so I was HIGHLY anticipating The Shadow Hour and I’m so happy to report that it completely blew my expectations out of the water! At the end of The Girl at Midnight, Echo was just beginning to learn more about herself as the Firebird and in The Shadow Hour we see her explore
mith
Happy to report that this doesn't have second-book syndrome. It was equally as exciting and adventurous and amazing as the first novel. And funny, too. The characters in this series are absolutely a breath of fresh air and I love them all so much.
---
@ the person who controls release dates, why must you make this come out in july??
@ netgalley/edelweiss, hook me up w/ an ARC when you can please, thank you.

COVER COVER COVER COVER YAY

oooh! title already! do want
Eric Smith
May 14, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy

Now.
Alaina

THIS BOOK WAS AMAZING BUT WHAT THE HELL KIND OF ENDING WAS THAT!?!?

a bullshit one.

Seriously, I'm freaking out so freaking much that I can't stop freaking out!!

(view spoiler) ...more
MORE adventure,
MORE kisses,
Yes please!

description

Just MORE. I need it, gimme!
Sara (Freadom Library)
Actual rating 4.5 stars
The plot has moved along but it wasn't as exciting or action packed as the first book. Though I can't wait to see how it ends!

This review was originally posted at https://freadomlibrary.wordpress.com/

Critically
Plot – 4.5 out of 5 stars
I’m a little sad to say that I kind of felt like this book was more of a filler. Not a lot happens plot wise, it was more about creating, challenging and building relationships between the characters. It’s more about self-discovery, not only for the main/>
JAIME
There is a love triangle afoot. I don't do love triangles. They piss me off. This one pisses me off more becuase after the events of the last book, one could assume that one point of the triangle would no longer be of issue.

Sigh. But apparently he still loves her. I mean he never told her before, but he totally does now. Okaaaaay.

Meanwhile, our annoying heroine has been hooking up with the former Dragon Prince. Clearly thinking that her previous relationship had died with that bitch Ruby. But then R
Ash
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
OCT 2015: I thought waiting for APRIL was bad but now its been pushed back 3 months!?!? This is not okay.

BUT!!!! There is a COVER NOW....and the SYNOPSIS!!! AH, I LOVE IT! [Don't read the synopsis if you haven't read the first book though!!!!!!!!!!]
Carly
Hmm. I'm not sure what the main plot of this book was. I don't feel like I would be able to plot it out on a plot line either. But maybe that's a good thing.... It's something different and unexpected. I honestly could not even begin to guess what was going to happen next. I don't know. It wasn't my style. I like the typical intro, inciting incident, rising actions, climax, falling actions denouement, and I don't feel like this book did that. The characters were still great, but some of the deve ...more
Ally
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
SO MANY FUCKING TRIANGLES!! THIS IS YA, NOT A GEOMETRY CLASS!! CUT THE SHAPES!!

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH

In the span of a few months, she had gone from unfortunate stray to a weapon of mass destruction. War was on the horizon, and the firebird had to play its part. Echo had a very strong feeling that, just as Excalibur had been created on an isle of magic and mystery, Avalon was where she would be forged into a weapon.

Okay, first up The Shadow Hour, needs to pipe the fuck down and take several seats. It's hella melodramatic and violently corny. Second, I'm waSHAPES!!
In
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
The Girl At Midnight was a lyrically beautiful, atmospheric and likened to the beloved Daughter of Smoke and Bone series. Although I enjoyed The Shadow Hour, it didn't hold me captive as the first book in the series had. The mystery surrounding the Firebird is now know to both Avicen and Drakharin alike. Seen as a weapon in a centuries long war, Echo has the power to decimate and destroy, making her a valuable commodity. One aspect I was delighted to explore was the tentative bond shared between ...more
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
3.5 stars. This definitely wasn't as good as the first book but I did like it. Just didn't love it. It kinda had some "middle book syndrome" going on but not enough for me to not finish it. I did like the character development and Caius of course!
These Violent Delights (Robin)
I absolutely loved this book!

The characters were amazing, I especially love Echo (the main character). I really love Ivy & Dorian & Jasper & Rowan & Ala & even Cauis. I honestly still don't know who I ship Echo with.

I loved where the plot/story went in this book. I definitely was intrigued. This world is so fascinating.
I just really want all my babies to have a happily ever after, is that just too much to ask?
Anyways, I wholly recommend this trilogy!
Ashley Daviau
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn’t think it could get better after the first book in the series but this book absolutely proved me wrong. The world that Grey has created is so beautiful and stunning yet dark at the same time. I love how she blends both light and darkness together, it’s part of what makes this story so enjoyable!
And I just love the cast of characters. Each is so unique and different but they come together to make the perfect band of misfits that you can’t help but fall in love with and root for!
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
3.7/5 ~ Okay compared to the first one I found it way less exciting honestly. I got what I wanted though, even if they are barely mentioned here, I wanted so much more of those two!
Let's see what happens in the finale...
Carina Olsen
Oh. I'm not sure where to begin with this book. So I'm starting by saying that I'm really disappointed in it. I can't even deal with thinking about this book. It took me days to finish it. And I wanted to quit it a few times. Which makes me so, so sad. Because I wanted to love this book so badly. But that was just impossible.

I pretty much adored book one. I have now read it twice. And I like it a whole bunch. But there was the beginning of a love triangle. And I feared it would be mo
nick
May 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, arc, fantasy

3.5/5

“When she was leaning against the roof’s cold concrete with Caius just inches from her, she didn’t feel like a person of interest, or a chess piece in the war between the Avicen and the Drakharin. She was just a girl, lying next to a boy, gazing up at the stars.”

Last year, I fell in love with Melissa Grey’s debut, The Girl at Midnight. It was a book that was fun, rich in its world building and had characters that I wanted to befriend. Needless to say, I was eagerly anticipating the s/>“When
Aly (In Wonderland)

(The Queen literally has the best resting bitch face ever.)

The bird that sings at midnight from within its cage of bone
will rise from blood and ashes, to greet the truth unknown.

Although I really enjoyed The Shadow Hour whilst reading, it took me a long time to get round to reviewing it. Firstly, because my laptop broke and the loaner I was using was awful -- clunky, chunky and slow as anything -- and then because... well, it wasn't memorable. Unlike The Girl At Midnight, The Shadow Hour doesn't hold the same magever.)
Sophie
I received an Advance Reader Copy from the publisher. This in no way impacted on my view.

I really enjoyed The Girl at Midnight when I read it last year, and couldn't wait to get my hands on book 2, so when I was sent a review copy, I was overjoyed. In The Shadow Hour, Echo and her merry bunch - Caius, Jasper, Ivy, and Dorian - are hiding out in an abandoned warehouse after the battle in Germany, in which Echo became the Firebird they had all been looking for. The only one from her ol
Once
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Shadow Hour is a good sequel to The Girl At Midnight. I am glad I was able to listen to the audiobook as I also listened to the first novel of this series. I loved how I was able to picture Echo in my head as the story was being read on my way to work. The Girl At Midnight was a bit of a cliffhanger and I liked how I was able to jump right in where the story left off. What I liked best about this sequel is that it provides me a recap of the previous story. Come on, who remembers every detail ...more
Gillian Berry
AHHH I love this series and this squad of dorks and I just WORRY about them. Tanith is life. It's possibly a bit slow (and I never trusted or understood a certain character but we'll get to that later) but honestly I love these characters so much that I don't really care if she spend bunches of time on their romantic entanglements because lbr this is what I'm here for. But the epicy action bits are VERY EPICY AND ACTIONY. (Also Caius. And Tanith. And Echo. My loves eternal.)
Alicia Garnier
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[CHRONIQUE] Un second tome tout en action !

==> http://moody-takeabook.com/2017/02/20...
Cassie-la
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: https://bibliomantics.com/2016/07/17/...

Melissa Grey's The Shadow Hour -- the thrilling follow-up to The Girl at Midnight -- continues the story of Echo, a runaway thief who is torn between two warring races of magical creatures: the feather-covered Avicen and the scaMelissa Grey's The Shadow Hour -- the thrilling follow-up to The Girl at Midnight -- continues the story of Echo, a runaway thief who is torn between two warring races of magical creatures: the feather-covered Avicen and the scale-laden Drakharin.<
Fatima
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-favorites
I loved this so much. This book defies the notion where readers claim that sequels are generally worse than the first book - and in many, many cases they are - but this is an incredible, beautiful, and magical exception.

This world that Grey has created is so effortless and so enchanting and so diverse and so complex, that it's really difficult to remember that it's fiction. Despite the magic, the madness, the mayhem, and the supernatural creatures, it's so easy to get sucked into this world and
Cheryl La Pa
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, fantasy, 2017-nov
Full of love, loyalty, betrayal and friendships, The Shadow Hour is the sequel to The Girl at Midnight. Echo is being hunted by a terrible darkness called Kucedra as well as The Dragon Prince. She must find a way to defeat both without endangering her friends or home.
I thoroughly enjoyed it though not quite as much as the first book. The tone was much darker and there was less humour, but it was full of action and I love how the characters & their relationships have developed. I have connected deep
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

After about 15 months and two publishing delays, the second book in Melissa Gray’s The Girl at Midnight trilogy is finally here. The expectations were high for those of us who liked the first book, but Gray justifies the long wait and the hype that follows the series. When the first book came out, many reviewers complained about the similarities between The Girl at Midnight and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. They continue in those elements that Gray borrowed, but otherwise the story takes a diffe

• Shadow
  • Siren's Song (Storm Siren, #3)
  • Rise of Fire (Reign of Shadows, #2)
  • Siren's Fury (Storm Siren, #2)
  • Soul of Stars (Heart of Iron, #2)
  • Wishing in the Dark
  • Aerie (Magonia, #2)
  • Nordic Tales: Folktales from Norway, Sweden, Finland, Iceland, and Denmark (Nordic Folklore and Stories, Illustrated Nordic Book for Teens and Adults)
  • Tarot
  • Steadfast (Spellcaster, #2)
  • Winter War Awakening (Blood Rose Rebelion #3)
  • A Poison Dark and Drowning (Kingdom on Fire, #2)
  • Vampires of Manhattan (The New Blue Bloods Coven, #1)
  • Assassin's Heart (Assassin's Heart, #1)
  • Ash Princess (Ash Princess Trilogy, #1)
  • Onyx and Ivory (Rime Chronicles, #1)
  • Finale (Caraval, #3)
  • Lion Heart (Scarlet, #3)
Melissa Grey penned her first short story at the age of twelve and hasn't stopped writing since. As an undergrad at Yale, she learned how ride a horse and shoot a bow and arrow at the same time. She also has a Masters in Art History but that's a much less useful skill.

She is the author of The Girl at Midnight, The Shadow Hour, and the Savage Dawn, out now from Random House.

To learn m

The Girl at Midnight (3 books)
  • The Girl at Midnight (The Girl at Midnight, #1)
  • The Savage Dawn (The Girl at Midnight, #3)
“You're a thief, Echo.' The Ala Squeezed her hand, her grip strong despite her frailty. 'Steal him back.” 16 likes
“The imagining of chaos was quite different from the reality of it.” 6 likes