Start by marking “Hundred Miles to Nowhere: An Unlikely Love Story” as Want to Read:
Hundred Miles to Nowhere: An Unlikely Love Story

Hundred Miles to Nowhere: An Unlikely Love Story

Hundred Miles to Nowhere: An Unlikely Love Story explores what happens when a singer-songwriter moves from New York City to rural Minnesota for love, and finds there s more to life than music.

When Elisa Korenne took a month s break from New York City to be the resident singer-songwriter in middle-of-nowhere Minnesota, she didn't intend to stay. Then she fell in love with
Published June 6th 2017 by North Star Press of St. Cloud

Start your review of Hundred Miles to Nowhere: An Unlikely Love Story
Mary Aalgaard
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Elisa Korenne weaves an intimate tale of Big City Girl meets Rural Outdoorsy Boy. When Elisa gets accepted to an artist residency in New York Mills, MN, she welcomes the chance to leave her New York City apartment and experience the country atmosphere, hoping for inspiration. Wanting to have an authentic Minnesota experience, she books a canoe camping trip with Chris. What's fun about reading about their romance is how well Elisa describes the contrasts of their two worlds, how their ...more
Sue Ready
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It’s a hundred miles to nowhere
And nowhere’s where I’ve been
Can’t seem to get to somewhere
Though I keep trying

Though Elisa Korenne’s song describes being close to nowhere, Elisa has gotten somewhere with her newest project, a memoir called “Hundred Miles to Nowhere: An Unlikely Love Story.” She is an author, writer songwriter and performer. Elisa specializes in live performances where she performs stories based on her oddball character studies.

Elisa’s music and writing portray the independent
Krista Rolfzen Soukup
I loved reading this book! It was interesting to read her perspective as a Jewish New Yorker moving to rural Minnesota and how she inevitably decides to stay. Stories of canoeing, Minnesota quirks, natural disasters, difficult neighbors, family and above all finding love. A humorous and sometimes raw introspective on how we as humans second guess and doubt, but find our way.
Arthur Blume
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's why you should buy this book:
[1] It's one of the most evocative depictions I've ever read of the journey from one world to another.
[2] The author is *funny*. She writes the way Bridget Jones would if Bridget Jones were real and as funny as Helen Fielding.
[3] It's a fast-paced, fun read with far more than its share of genuinely touching moments.
After you read this book you'll be looking forward to Korenne's next.
Bonnie G.
I am a nice Jewish (middle-aged) girl who moved to Fargo in 2016 from Atlanta, after having lived in Philadelphia, DC and Brooklyn. For those who haven't read the book, Fargo is the "nowhere" the author is 100 miles from. The rabbi who officiated at her wedding is MY rabbi (hi Janeen!) Like the author I have had the experience of returning to New York and not knowing whether to laugh or cry when I realized I had lost my edge and felt like a tourist.

When my book club chose this for our January
Kelly
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this first book by Elisa Korenne. It was so fun to follow her in her journey to an unknown state and land and get to know herself in the process. I hope she continues to write more as I enjoy her as an author!
Charles Johnson
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: HUNDRED MILES TO NOWHERE: An Unlikely Love Story
By Elisa Korenne
Published by North Star Press of St. Cloud, Minnesota
ISBN: 978-1-68201-064-8 (Paperback); 978-1-86201-080-8 (Ebook)
328 pages (Reader’s Guide and an Afterword follow the text)

In her memoir of her transition from Big City Girl to Small Town Citizen, Elisa Korenne describes her presence in central Minnesota as she transplants herself, a musician from New York City looking to improve her songwriting skills, to a small artsy
Reader Views
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Kimberly Luyckx for Reader Views (1/18)

“Hundred Miles to Nowhere” is a fun, leisurely-paced tale of girl meets boy - boy meets girl. This is the author’s own story and it begins when Elisa Korenne accepts an artist-in-residence appointment as a singer/songwriter in New York Mills, Minnesota. Although the small town name resembles that of her home base, New York City, the two environments could not be more different. Elisa finds the lifestyle, values and people of this rural community
Jayme Holmes
Dec 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Having grown up near New York Mills, I could really relate to so many things the author wrote about. Knowing that when I was young, the thought of marrying someone outside of your family's religious faith (a Lutheran marry a Catholic??? Hard to imagine!), I could understand her stress leading up to the wedding.

It was fun to read about Minnesota culture through a newcomers eyes. But I think you can read this story even if you are not from there - she does a great job of baring her soul of
Marcia
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a quick read and a fascinating story! I am a person who has lived in Indiana and Mississippi, as well as in Washington, DC , so I'm well aware of the differences between living in the country and living in a city. Elisa went through a lot of the same problems and dilemmas that I have had throughout my life. She chose differently and I hope that her choices work out for her ! Her experiences were similar to experiences that I had being a Jew in Indiana and in Mississippi . However, I ...more
Beverly Korkowski
Nov 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Our book club had a 'road trip' to meet Elisa in New York Mills, a mere hour from our homes. She was absolutely delightful! Our book club of 8 thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Her description of locations and customs was spot-on for all of us who were all born and raised in Minnesota farm country. It is a truly delightful story of big city girl comes to the country....a huge adjustment. A really fun read!
Theresa Krentz
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this story of Elisa Korenne and her journey as she adjusts from her former life in New York City to her new life and love in New York Mills. Her descriptions of life in the Midwest struck a very familiar note with those of us who grew up here. I would highly recommend the book to anyone who wants to know what life in a small town is like. Korenne's humor and descriptive storytelling make this just a delightful read.
Amy Orcutt
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being from Minnesota I appreciated Elisa's attention to detail and accurate descriptions of life in Minnesota and small towns. She nailed it! I must admit I am not always a big fan of Memoirs but I found this book to read more like fiction than a memoir. I admire the fairness with which she treated the characters depicted in the book, whether from New York or Minnesota, without losing any of the intrigue in this unlikely love story.
Susan
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Elisa had me from the start. Perceptive, funny, and engaging, she writes with honesty about her life and what it means to be a transplant, having the faith and courage to plunk yourself down in a place far from what you know --then looking through the clear eyes of the newcomer at the unfamiliar and shining a light on what's there, inside and out. Thank you, Elisa. (Stunning cover, by the way!)
Erica
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful romance between an unlikely couple. I love how Elisa shares the detail of her experience and how two soulmates were brought together. Elisa is such a joy to be around, of course her book would be delightful as her! Such a lucky community to have such talent living in the area. Loved the book!!
S. Collin
Jun 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Korenne, as a writer, accurately depicted all the emotions of moving to rural Minnesota and capture the true essence of the people. Her story is honest and moving.

The book's cover over sensationalized the reaction of Minnesotans to Korenne. Do not pay attention to the synopsis and just read the book.
Krista Rolfzen Soukup
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Not Boring Book Show
It takes a braver person to leave everything they know behind and start all over again. Listen to our interview with the incredibly brave Elisa Korenne here: http://www.thenotboringbookshow.com/2...
Sarah Green
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written. I finished the book in one night- it's captivating learning how she navigates between her world and a completely foreign place (to her). City girl meets country boy. Refreshing, honest, and truly just a pleasure to read. Highly recommended! Enjoy!
Joan
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I finished the book at our cabin in Otter Tail County so found it very fitting and funny. It was a very good read. There are times when "fitting in" does not work so you just have to "participate in" community. Find the joy.
Karen Midgarden
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

I could not put it down. She eloquently captures the essence of her place of origin and her new home.
Donald Hoffmann
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Almost finished reading this book. Loving it and not wanting it to end, but finding it difficult to put down. Very descriptive and engaging.
Annie
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SO GOOD! such a great read, I loved every word. Waiting for the next book: Song of a Woodturner
Kevin
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book from beginning to end. Full of humor, romance, mystery, and real life. A great read. Didn't want it to end.
Katie
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Light read about the New York Jew marrying the guy from New York Mills MN and finding her home. Chick lit.
Monica Lee
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hundred Miles to Nowhere is a love story, but the love is not just for a man, it's for a place.

I loved reading Elisa Korenne's memoir because it was well-written and well-paced but also because the place that's a hundred miles from nowhere is where I grew up: West Central Minnesota.

In Hundred Miles to Nowhere: An Unlikely Love Story, Korenne tells the story of how a New York City musician came to meet and fall in love with a man from New York Mills, Minnesota, a tiny town of 1,200 in west
Patty Fortier
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was love at first read! Only a few pages and I was in love with her writing.
Descriptive, engaging, humorous, and compassionate are only a few of the style of her writing. I will be her fan for life! I'm waiting for the next book to be published!! I highly recommend the book to any reader. If I could have given her 10 stars, I would have!
Library Lil
Oct 22, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

• Red Letter Challenge - A 40 Day Life Changing Experience
  • Give a Girl a Knife
  • Saving Parker (A Forever Home, #3)
  • Keep Calm And Carry On, Children
  • The Man Who Voted for Trump
  • Sarah and the Doctor (Prairie Tales, #1)
  • The Courageous Guardian of Her Heart
Elisa Korenne (Korentayer) is an award-winning performer, songwriter, and writer. She was educated at Yale University and the London School of Economics. Her memoir Hundred Miles to Nowhere will be released by North Star Press in June 2017.

Her writing has appeared in The Midwest Prairie Review, Lake Region Review, Red Dirt Review, Poetica Magazine, The Talking Stick, Lake Country Journal,