Start by marking “How Not to Kill Your Houseplant: Survival Tips for the Horticulturally Challenged” as Want to Read:

Can't keep a houseplant alive, no matter how hard you try and how good your intentions are? This is the book for you. You need this book. Give plants a chance.

Help your plant live with survival tips and learn the simple ways not to kill your plants.With over 50 different types of popular houseplants, How Not to Kill Your Houseplant summarizes what type of care your plants
Published August 15th 2017 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about How Not to Kill Your Houseplant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Not to Kill Your Houseplant

Start your review of How Not to Kill Your Houseplant: Survival Tips for the Horticulturally Challenged
ALLEN
Nov 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
HOW NOT TO KILL YOUR HOUSEPLANT (subtitle "Survival Tips for the Horticulturally Challenged") is not primarily, despite its title, a book about how to cope with a black thumb. Nor is it a "coffee-table" format book, but instead an attractive case-wrapped volume of about six by eight inches in size (15 x 20 cm) that offers nicely illustrated drawings of the most popular house plants like Maidenhead Fern, English Ivy, Jade Plant, Coleus, Christmas Cactus, and the hard-to-kill Inch Plant (often ...more
Annie ⚜️
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this little book. Simple, straight-forward, clear and concise advice with full color pictures on every page. Great reference for a novice or amateur plant lover on up.
Macklin R
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm gonna have plants in my new apartment, and I'm not going to kill them dammit

In all seriousness, this is a good starter guide. As someone who is truly "horticulturally challenged," I wish some of the steps were explained in more detail. For instance, often when the book discusses watering schedules for plants, it will mention "draining" as one of the steps. How do you drain a plant? Does it drain itself? That being said, I really enjoyed this book. The photographs looked really nice, and I
Colona Public Library
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: april, non-fiction
This was an excellent book for anyone who enjoys houseplants or plants in general, who want to keep them alive. The pictures were amazing and really catchy. The book covered quite a lot of different variety of plants. Each plant had do's and don't and tip on how to keep it alive plus similar suggestions on other plants if you like a particular type. This book also listed common problems associated with each plant and how to remedy them.

If you like plants this should be on your bookshelf, just
Eli Claire
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Really detailed and thorough book, with detailed tips on how to make sure every type of houseplant survives! This would’ve been so helpful, but for one thing ... notes on which plants are harmful to pets or not! I ended up returning the book without using much of it, but will hopefully pick it up again when I have a better idea of what I can have with cats in the house.
Ava
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was exactly what I was looking for! It did a great job giving you the details of growing and I enjoyed it very much. On the downside, it only features certain plants and I am in need of a wider variety.
Kat
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the houseplant book I have always been looking for!
Carol
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
A quick reference guide. Short but sweet.
Emmy
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: green-thumb
A nice overview of houseplants and how to care for them. I really like the "hook" of "how not to kill it," which was funny and very relatable (as someone with a history of killing plants--accidentally, of course!). After all, what works for one plant might not work for another. My lucky bamboo is never happier than when its roots are completely submerged in water, but that sort of treatment would kill my succulents!

Would recommend to anyone who is interested in getting houseplants, since it
Kylie
This is a sweet little book with bite-sized bits of information on how to care for a variety of houseplants. The photographs are gorgeous and if you're anything like me, once you adopt one plant you'll find yourself going back for more. My only criticism is that I wish this book also included info on which plants may be toxic to pets.
Jill
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
How Not to Kill Your Houseplant is just what it sounds like--a gorgeously illustrated guide to not killing houseplants. This is something I need, and I know I'm not alone in that.

Veronica Peerless and DK Publishing have put together a beautiful, amazingly helpful primer on houseplants. From knowing which plants to buy to how to feed and water them to how to love them and help them thrive, this book includes so much information to help you get started that you'll be able to go straight to the
Tatiana Dengo
Aug 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I’ve been browsing through this book for over a year now and it’s finally safe to say I have read it from cover to cover multiple times and can definitely recommend it to beginner houseplant caretakers.

It includes advice for 119 common and popular house plants that you can find at any nursery.

Each two-page spread focuses on a single plant. There's a large picture in the center, which is surrounded by text boxes with common problems the plant may face, followed by clear solutions to each one.
Ness
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How could I not love a book with such a great (and appropriate to me) title? I saw it at the library, and had to pick it up to text a pic of it to one of my best friends, who lived with me and my black thumbs and likes to remind me of my unfortunate experiences with "unlucky" bamboo. Truly I only meant to take a pic and put it back, but as I flipped through the pages, I noted a number of plants that I had (and I few more that I had previously... i.e. they died on me...). So I decided to pick it ...more
Annie
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

How Not To Kill Your Houseplant is a beautifully photographed and illustrated practical guide for the horticulturally challenged. Author Veronica Peerless has a friendly, upbeat, non-threatening manner which is like a 150 page pep talk (with pictures).

The intro pages include a pictorial index list with 8 full pages of color photos of common houseplants. The first bit is 'find your plant' with a page listing of culture info for each one explaining
Leslie
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book begins with a section called “The Basics”, which covers how to buy the plant, where to put it, how to water it, how to feed it, and how to spot pests and diseases. Don’t know the name of your plant? The beginning of the section has an eight page index of illustrations for you to look at to identify your plant and find it in the book. Each plant has several pages of information including full color photos and details on what that plants requires to survive indoors. My advice: Keep the ...more
Patty
May 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A really excellent how-to guide for houseplants, possibly the best book on the topic I've ever seen. It's split into two halves, with "The Basics" offering general tips and "The Houseplants" giving specific guidance on 119 common species. How Not to Kill Your Houseplant is aimed towards newbies, but it also included tricks that were new to me, such as how to save an overwatered plant by wrapping its soil in newspaper. I particularly liked the troubleshooting offered in "The Houseplants"; it ...more
Nadina
Nov 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I found this book after reading "Happy Cactus" and I really like the format of both (they have a similar format). It starts out with a general guide on choice and care of plants, and then goes into specific plants. Each specific plant has details on specific needs to care for the plant and pop-out bubbles coming off the plant that have troubleshooting tips for problems that may arise with your plant.
It's short and simple and I really like it. I had borrowed it from the library but it is one I
Debra Jeakins
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
HOW NOT TO KILL YOUR HOUSEPLANT:SURVIVAL TIPS FOR THE HORTICULTURALLY CHALLENGED BY VERONICA PEERLESS is a cute way to help people like me who ARE horticulturally challenged! I love houseplants and have several and even amusing as it is, gives us "plant killers" some hope and help in some of the common & not so common houseplants. The book provides advice and tips and commonsense information on how not to kill your plants.
Even though the title itself is amusing the book and its information
Victoria Peipert
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A great collection of information in the most popular house plants. Where I felt this book fell short was that a lot of the information felt the same and didn't get creative on ways to use the pages to be more informative and engaging. I realize that a lot of the plants will have similar conditions for care so I would've like to see the author take advantage of the pages to provide some other useful information (ways of potting and plantings, pots and characteristics, etc. )
Autumn
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've checked this out from the library, bought it for the library I work for, and checked it out again (should probably just buy my own copy)- just a great, fun little book to look through with some basic care instructions for most plants. It's really more for beginners, but is still a lot of fun to read and have around for a quick reference. Not very in-depth on requirements for each plant, but I like how it compares plants based on similar care requirements.
Kristina (msbunnyears)
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Of course, this is a guide, so I did not thoroughly read this from back to front.
It's a wonderful, short and simple guide to most common houseplants. It's definitely great, however not as specific as I would like. And I do have houseplants that aren't listed here so that's definitely a struggle.
However I am glad I have this on hand, it's definitely very helpful.
Linden
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This profusely-illustrated DK book for the “horticulturally challenged” offers information on common houseplants, a picture index in the front, and a traditional index in the back. It’s a good book as far as it goes, but I would have expected it to list the easiest care plants for those new to houseplants.
emyrose8
Mar 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a very well put together book! Just the right amount of pictures, fun colors, great page layout, not too much text. I love the pages titled “best plants for the... bathroom” or living room or office. Since I don’t have a ton of houseplants at this time, I don’t plan to buy the book, but it’s one I’ll come back to when I get more plants!
Jocelin
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’m a notorious plant killer, and I’m currently trying to keep 11 houseplants alive. I have read this resource guide cover to cover, and I am feeling much more confident. It offers easy to follow info with lots of pictures and specific care details for 119 plants. Perfect for someone trying to grow a green thumb.
Katie
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Obviously not one I've read cover-to-cover. Helpful, to the point information. Focuses on what could be wrong with the plant. Would like a little more detail about the plant generally, but this isn't that book, and that's okay.
Lisa
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I myself have a BLACK thumb, so this book for me is awesome. I don't know if it will help me not kill plants, but it is very complete. There are all kinds of helpful tidbits on every kind of plant that you can think of. I would totally buy this for myself.
Jaanika
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Nice little book that would find a place on every plant-lover home. It is good to check out basics before getting a new plant. However, it would be even nicer to have a little bit more information for every plant but maybe this not the point of this book.
Bailey Baker
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Provides a good overview for beginners wanting to have indoor plants. I would have liked some more detailed information, but it seems to offer a solid starting point for people who know absolutely nothing about plants (me) and need to start somewhere.
Michaela
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Perfect! for the novice in the world of houseplants, concise and approachable.
Emma
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easy to read. Not overwhelming. Helpful tips.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The New Plant Parent: Develop Your Green Thumb and Care for Your House-Plant Family
  • Happy Cactus: Cacti, Succulents, and More
  • The Indestructible Houseplant: 200 Beautiful Plants that Everyone Can Grow
  • At Home with Plants
  • Living With Plants
  • How to Houseplant: A Beginner's Guide to Making and Keeping Plant Friends
  • The Inspired Houseplant: Transform Your Home with Indoor Plants from Kokedama to Terrariums and Water Gardens to Edibles
  • Decorating with Plants: What to Choose, Ways to Style, and How to Make Them Thrive
  • How to Raise a Plant: and Make It Love You Back (A modern gardening book for a new generation of indoor gardeners)
  • Urban Botanics: An Indoor Plant Guide for Modern Gardeners
  • Houseplants for a Healthy Home: 50 Indoor Plants to Help You Breathe Better, Sleep Better, and Feel Better All Year Round
  • Plant Style: How to Greenify Your Space