Start by marking “The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)

The Land of Night

(Scarlet and the White Wolf #3)

Struggling to come to terms with his new life in Rshan na Ostre, young Scarlet is trying to find his place in a decadent, foreign society that bears an ancient hatred for all Hilurin. As Liall is pulled away from Scarlet and into the jaded intrigues of a royal court, the young pedlar wonders if they've made a terrible mistake in journeying to Rshan. Each passing day, Liall ...more
Published 2007 by Torquere Press

To ask other readers questions about The Land of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Land of Night

Start your review of The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
Karen
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-read
I'm not really sure there's anything left unsaid about this series so I'm not going to try because honestly my skills are no where near adequate for this one so I'm just going to say...

"I love Scarlet, I love Liall, I freaking loved this series. Start to finish it was freaking fantastic. Add my name to the list of those who are anxiously awaiting the next book because when it's released I am so there."

Also...thanks M'rella for kicking my ass to the e-reader on this one.
Bookwatcher
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Snapshot of me... reading the end of the book

NOW HERE'S SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERYDAY ...... a fantasy book that (view spoiler)

anxiously waiting for the next book

and oh yeah, 5 stars and no doubt! THIS ONE is my favorite book of the
LenaLena
Sep 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: omg-wtf-bbq, fantasy
My honest opinion about this series: not so good.
The story has potential, but the writing is just... I dunno.... not good. There is a lot of telling how people are, but not showing us by their actions. Scarlet is supposed to be a temperamental guy, but hardly ever acts it. We also are told at least 3 or 4 times in as many pages that his race, the Hilurin, has black hair, pale skin and black eyes. Things like that.

The first 50 pages of the first book introduce all these lands and races of people
TL
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to TL by: Cristina Monica
There is plenty of intrigue and hidden/not-so hidden danger in the court of Rshan, and plenty of secrets, spying, and even some double crossing *cough*VLADEI*cough*

Scarlet and Liall are both trying to navigate this hotbed in their own ways. Liall is trying to help uphold his brothers' claim to to the throne, and has tread carefully, specially with a certain family member.

There was one scene with Scarlet on the snow bear hunt and near the end where my heart was in my throat, saying over and over
Konstantina P.
The author manages to save face with this book after the previous one in the series. Lots of intrigue and power games make "The Land of Night" an interesting and enjoyable read.

The romance between the two main characters seems to dwindle as more attention is given to the politics. Not a very good balance there.

As for the writing, it keeps being repetitive and tedious at places. The whole story could be told in two books instead of four (and a fifth supposedly coming soon).
Kristen Burns
4 Stars

Review:
*I received an ecopy of this book from the author. This has not influenced my review.*

This book surprised me. I'm not a big fan of books about royal courts and intrigue, so I feared I wouldn't like this book as much as the others, but it ended up being my favorite in the series so far. It wasn't as intimate and quaint as the others, but it had more action while still maintaining the character and relationship development that's made the previous books so enjoyable.

Scarlet got on my
Ilhem
Oct 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
2,5 stars
I really liked the beginning that settled a great ambiance of court machinations in an icy, labyrinthic castle and I thought : wow, fantasy Medici in a fantasy Louvre!
Sadly, I steadily lost interest until the bear hunt that occurred at approximately 60% and was breathtaking, lost it again and finally read the last 30% with mild interest but no thrill.

3 stars for the whole series
I liked the first book very much : the light characterization and exploration of the characters’ relationshi
Damon Suede
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A dazzling conclusion to this trilogy.

Crow opts to focus on royal machinations of the I, Claudius and Claudius the God variety in this slam-bang finish to her series. As always, she deepends the growth and intimacy between her protagonists and refracts their development with event and incident that force thrilling, terrible choices from all. Breathtaking romantic writing.

This is a bar by which to measure other gay romance fantasies. I am only sad that I've finished, except that now I can go back
Swati
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!

I liked it more than the last book, I'm really curious to see what happens next :D
Rating 3,5
I thought when I picked this, that it would be a vastly different than the other fantasy book I read this month, that the only similarity would be a gay main character. BUT NO! This one ALSO decided to add in a sci-fi element of an alien race and while there won't be risk of me confusing the two, it's still quite the coincidence.

I wasn't bored the in the first half this time, which has been the case for the previous two. And while the action parts weren't entirely unpredictable, I was
Sibil
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
To be honest, this one was the less favourite in the series... It's not that I am really complaining, I enjoyed the reading (view spoiler) and I am not disappointed in it, but the first two books were better.
(view spoiler)
Arthur
Nov 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
Nicky
Dec 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, queer
The Land of Night is a bit longer than the first two books, and there's a lot going on -- it's much more political than the first book, and more evenly paced than the second. There were a lot more likeable characters than in the second book, too -- Nadiushka, Cestimir, Jochi... It isn't at all gentle with those characters, so of course I got my heart bruised a little, but still -- it was better with them than if they hadn't been present or if they'd been unlikeable.

The world-building does come t
Mel
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genre-sff
Review in the first book, Scarlet and the White Wolf.

Nikyta
Blackheart
Dec 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
It seemed like a great trilogy, and it was, up until the end. It's no fun when a poor conclusion to a great journey spoils the first impression from the series. It'd have been so much better if they left the land of night to see what the rest of the world has to offer and never came back.
Hugely dissapointed.
Tiamat
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Queen Nadiushka, mwahaha. Three stars only for that. If you want to use Russian names, do it right! It's like King Johnny or Queen Little Kathy, but worse XD
Also all the pseudo-Russian costumes made me uncomfortable. It was sweet but so confusing. Like a bad imitation of medieval Japanese culture, ya know, for a Japanese reader.
Carol
Aug 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay-romance
still awesome! And I am not getting bored yet. Only one book to go.
Mandapanda
Jul 10, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: various-romance
Darlene
This series just gets better as it goes along. The love between Liall and Scarlet is so deep and complicated. Liall being the Prince and Scarlet, a forgeiner not wanted by most to be in their country continues to cause much pain for each other.

The two constantly argue and make up. To very strong willed men and Scarlet doesn't understand the language of this new world nor its rules makes an exciting dangerous situation. This was a sad book as a murderous prince takes a life that's very dear to th
Janeylou
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maiko-chan [|]
This book could have had a lot more of an emotional impact on me than it already did (it's lucky I didn't cry more really), but Crow's foreshadowing helped soften the blow I took while reading this book. Honestly though, I expected a lot more tragedy throughout these books than I've gotten. A lot of that is because I've been comparing them to Mercedes Lackey's "the gay books" Valdemar: The Last Herald-Mage which is so full of angst that it makes your heart bleed if you fall in love with the ...more
Elizabetta
2 stars

3 stars for the series

(If you haven’t read Books 1 & 2 in the series, this review will/can/might contain spoilers. I’m so verklempt over it all, I can’t decide...)

Poor Scarlet. He started off such a dynamic, colorful character in book one -- full of wanderlust and chutzpah. There, he met up with the dashing Liall, a sexy, wolfish bandit leader. It is this initial dynamic that drew them to each other. So, it’s a shame that in this third installment, Scarlet becomes a shadow of himself, the
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
There's still a lot to do before this series is over, I think the end of the book is the point where a whole new storyline begins.

The first book is my favorite and it coincides with Scarlet's journey. In the second and in the third book I felt as if Scarlet's spirit was stifled in a claustrophobic ship or a labyrinthic palace. Except for the very last 20% of the book, where the protagonists are forced to wander outside again, the book was confined to small spaces. On one hand I'm sure it served
Adara
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'm confused. Is this not the last book? Because I do not see how this solves the succession problem in the slightest, merely postpones it. (view spoiler)

And what about Scarlet's wanderlust? Or was that line about "home is where he is" supposed to neatly tie that up? Yeah, not sure I'm buying that. (I sort of prefer how that issue
Absynthe
Oct 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, first-time
Emily G
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Matthew
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
More or less a satisfactory ending. Most of the mysteries were essentially resolved. However, in the style of a fantasy rather than romance book, the ending did not really give us a happily ever after - did not really resolve the tension in their relationship.

But it also did not really explore the potential of the magic system. In this plot, it does not entirely make sense for the magic system to be completely explained and the "spirits of the dead" plot device for explaining the amount Mr. Crow
Katka Heřmanová
Aug 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbt, fantasy
What can I say? This series captured me with its first two books, and it's just getting better and better. I still spend a lot of time swearing at Scarlet and Liall, but that doesn't change the fact that I love them both - now probably more than ever. I liked the plot (politics and intrigue in fantasy, yesss, gimme MORE) and the worldbuilding. It's been a really long time since a book made me lose track of time, but this whole series did. Yeah, nothing better than being up at 3 AM, knowing you h ...more
Don Bradshaw
Everyone's hopes and dreams get shot to hell in this awesome third installment of this great series. This book is full of good old soap opera like palace intrigue. People shuffle and lie for places of prominence as the old queen gets ready to pass the crown on to Cestimir. Lies threaten to tear Liall and Scarlet apart as the two men spend more and more time apart. It's difficult to write more without giving too much away. The story flowed perfectly and held my attention. The ending was a surpri ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lord of the White Hell, Book 2 (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Stalking Darkness (Nightrunner, #2)
  • The God Eaters
  • Counterpoint (Song of the Fallen, #1)
  • A Crown of Iron & Silver (Soulbound, #3)
  • Crescendo (Song of the Fallen, #2)
  • The Capital (The Knight and the Necromancer #1)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • The High King's Golden Tongue (Tales of the High Court, #1)
  • Thrown to the Wolves (Big Bad Wolf, #3)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Sebastian (Family of Lies, #1)
  • The Border (The Knight and the Necromancer #2)
  • The Alpha's Warlock (Mismatched Mates #1)
  • Lord of the White Hell, Book 1 (Lord of the White Hell, #1)
  • The Lightning-Struck Heart (Tales From Verania, #1)
  • Traitor's Moon (Nightrunner, #3)
  • The Necromancer's Reckoning (The Beacon Hill Sorcerer, #3)
Kirby Crow worked as an entertainment editor and ghostwriter for several years before happily giving it up to bake brownies, read yaoi, play video games, and write her own novels. Whenever she isn't slaying Orcs or flying a battleship for the glory of the Amarr Empire, she can be found in the kitchen, her vegetable garden, or at the keyboard, tapping away at her next book.

Kirby is a winner of the

Scarlet and the White Wolf (6 books)
  • The Pedlar and the Bandit King (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • The King of Forever (Scarlet and the White Wolf #4)
  • The Temple Road (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #5)
  • The Mountain of Many Stars (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #6)

News & Interviews

“What do you do when home is a person, Liall? Don't I have the right to fight for you?” 0 likes