Start by marking “Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure” as Want to Read:
Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure

Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure

(Taldra)

This revised version of Duane Simolke's science fiction adventure Degranon features more gay characters and a sharper focus on diversity themes. On the planet Valchondria, no illness exists, gay marriage is legal, and everyone is a person of color. However, a group called "the Maintainers" carefully monitors everyone's speech, actions, and weight; the Maintainers also forc ...more
Published June 9th 2004 by iUniverse (first published January 28th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Degranon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Degranon

Elisa Rolle
Admitedly sci-fiction is not my cup of tea and that is a big gap if you want to read Degranon, since I think the main inspiration for this novel are the old fashioned classics of sci-fiction, ’70 and ’80 style. In those year, due to the political climate, people were trying to understand the right level of government influence in your everyday life, and to do that utopian worlds were developed on fictional novels (as often happen).

Degranon has an interesting approach: is the world a better plac
Susan
The writing in this book is a bit uneven, perhaps because the author wrote it over the space of nearly 20 years, beginning when he was only 15. But the plot is intriguing, and the characters are complicated and real. The themes are important ones like diversity and government control vs freedom.

There are two versions of this book, both hard to find in paper format. The one I read was the second, in which Simolke has changed a few of the main characters to incorporate a same-gendered relationship
Lathia Vishant
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
it is a very very good
book
Ike Rose
Feb 27, 2011 is currently reading it
Bought it from Kobo (my e-reader is connected to them) and it's loaded. The first few pages were interesting at 3AM.
Vanessa Kings
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This very rich sci-fi story captivated me from the beginning. From the main topic of a land where there are no minorities, no differences between races or sexual orientations, to the writing style that transports you into the story in an effortless way, I read this book in record time, unable to put it down.

It’s amazing how the author managed to create such complex society, with characters that felt real, with real struggles, doubts, and concerns. I personally found Taldra’s character fascinatin
Susan65
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
I must be on a roll, because this is the third sci-fi “Star Treky” kind of story that I’ve read in the past month…and I am not normally a sci-fi kind of girl. This story, however, is very well written and fun. I’m pretty sure I got the updated version because I saw a few earlier reviews mentioning a stilted and choppy story, and this was anything but.

Degranon takes place in an alternate universe where everyone is a person of some color and all have black hair. The skins tones are red, brown, or
Kurtis Mcdowell
May 02, 2018 rated it liked it
DEGRANON is sci-fi that warrants attention. A thought provoking read revolving around queer culture, advanced technology, and distant planets of alien worlds that mirror our own. It's a wealth of ideas that revolve around well-constructed narrative and intriguing characters.

I have been gifted this book and chose to leave a voluntary review. The review and ratings are solely my opinions. Thanks NetGalley for the arc in exchange for my honest review.
Michael Joseph
Jul 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay-sci-fi
You can read my review of Degranon at my web site.
va komaisavai
Jul 05, 2011
Diversity-Themed SciFi 1 2 Aug 13, 2014 10:49AM
Gay Science Fiction: Price Lowered for Degranon eBook 3 18 Apr 02, 2014 01:52PM
Gay Science Fiction: Current Top 10 Lit at OutVoice 1 27 Mar 16, 2014 07:54PM
Sci-fi and Heroic...: Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure 3 37 Dec 21, 2013 09:03AM
Degranon Sequel at Goodreads. Beta Readers Needed. 2 4 Nov 30, 2013 08:37AM
Gays in science fiction and fantasy 3 24 May 02, 2012 08:17AM
Talk about places, jargon, and more in Degranon 1 2 Sep 17, 2011 06:27AM
My writing spans genres, but my most popular books are Degranon: A Science Fiction Adventure and the West Texas fiction collection The Acorn Stories. I live in Lubbock, Texas.

Duane Simolke (pronounced “Dwain Smoky”). Education: Belmont University (B.A., ‘89, Nashville, TN), Hardin-Simmons University (M.A., ‘91, Abilene, TX), and Texas Tech University (Ph.D., ‘96, Lubbock, TX), all with a major in

Taldra (3 books)