Start by marking “Mary Poppins” as Want to Read:
Mary Poppins

Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  94,521 Ratings  ·  3,750 Reviews
Life was never the same again for the Banks family after the astonishing Mary Poppins blew in with the east wind. This revised edition introduces some delightful new characters. “Delightful nonsense that defies an age boundary of appreciation.”--Booklist
Published September 15th 1997 by Harcourt Childrens Books (first published 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Mary Poppins, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Any children's book that doesn't appeal to adult readers as well, probably has limited appeal to children too. Note that the great children's classics…moreAny children's book that doesn't appeal to adult readers as well, probably has limited appeal to children too. Note that the great children's classics are loved and re-read by adults who first read them as kids (or had them read aloud).

I do think that many of today's children won't understand that in those days well-bred English kids, both boys and girls, wore hats and gloves when they went out; they also might have trouble with the vocabulary and the idea of "high tea"--other than that, if the child has an adult around to ask questions, they should be fine. (less)
Conor Nally I don't think they are OFFICIALLY connected but Nanny McPhee I think is a rip-off of Mary Poppins. By the way Chapter Six is called "Bad Tuesday" and…moreI don't think they are OFFICIALLY connected but Nanny McPhee I think is a rip-off of Mary Poppins. By the way Chapter Six is called "Bad Tuesday" and not "Naughty Tuesday".(less)

Miranda Reads
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
"I’ll stay till the wind changes," she said.
The naughty Banks siblings (having just ran off their previous nanny) are in for the surprise of a lifetime.

Their new nanny, Mary Poppins, is quite unlike anything they've ever seen. She slides up banisters, uses a compass to travel the world, talks to dogs and buys them gingerbread from stores that aren't even there. In short, she's perfect.
“Mary Poppins,” he cried, “you’ll never leave us, will you?”
Reading about Mary Poppins - nanny extraordina
Wendy Darling
Reread for our classics discussion on the blog! http://www.themidnightgarden.net/2015...
--------------------------------------

If you've never read Mary Poppins, you're missing out on one of the great classics of children's literature. It's been a long time since I've read these books that I loved so much as a child, but I immediately felt as though I was visiting with old friends.

The thing of it is, I'm quite sure that I felt this way the very first time I read the book as well. P.L. Travers wr
Banny Kirsten Marie Reviews
I have been thinking long and hard about my review for Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers… This book was all wrong and not what i had expected it to be and i would like to share my thoughts and feelings with you. So lets all sit back, relax, and talk Poppins… As the movie version ofMary Poppins would say...

Spit spot and off we go…

First lets start with the summary… Mary Poppins by P.L Travers takes place in England on the street Cherry Tree Lane... Inside 173 Cherry Tree lane holds a family of six Mr
Stephanie
Sep 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: enjoy being mean to children
OK, here's the thing: P.L. Travers's Mary Poppins is not Walt Disney's Mary Poppins. Weirdly, I love both versions equally, although Travers's portrayal of adult-child relationships is more accurate, I think. In the book, the kids clearly inhabit a fantasy world of which their parents are completely oblivious. Mary Poppins, an acid-tongued nanny, serves as a conduit to these fantasy worlds, which are often quite dangerous. Under Mary's protection, the Banks children explore some dark, glorious w ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
Story of the world's most beloved nanny, Mary Poppins (Mary Poppins #1), P.L. Travers, Mary Shepard (Illustrator)
Mary Poppins is a series of eight children's books written by P. L. Travers and published over the period 1934 to 1988. Mary Shepard was the illustrator throughout the series. The books centre on the magical English nanny Mary Poppins, who is blown by the East wind to Number 17 Cherry Tree Lane, London, and into the Banks's household to care for their children. Encounters with pavemen
C.G. Drews
I feel terrible right now. I mean THIS IS THE MARY POPPINS BOOK THAT IS SO FAMOUS ALL OVER THE UNIVERSE. And I'm rating it 2-stars?! What is wrong with me?! So right now, I'm mortally embarrassed and a little ashamed, but if I'm going to review books honestly, I have to go in this direction.

Let's have some positives first, though, shall we?

I love how magical the story is! The adventures Mary Poppins takes the children on? They're incredible! Only a few were in the movie, so most of them wer
Julie
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wait. . . hold on. . . Mary Poppins is snarky?

You mean. . . she doesn't have rosy cheeks, a fresh shimmer of newly applied lipstick, or break out into overly saccharine songs?

She's not Julie Andrews?!

Okay, let me make the mental adjustment and open my heart to this edgy Plain Jane nanny who uses an early version of Jedi mind control to persuade her new employers to increase her pay and give her extra time off. Pisses off most of the people around her, too.

Let me wave goodbye to A Spoonful of Sug
Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Pride and Prejudice (1) versus Mary Poppins (32)

NARRATOR: It is a truth universally acknowledged, that an impecunious father with four unmarried daughters is in urgent need of a magic nanny. And so it came to pass that Miss Mary Poppins took up residence in the Bennet household...

Scene 1

[Breakfast at the Bennets. The four sisters are laughing, talking loudly, reaching after toast etc]

MARY POPPINS: Lydia, don't slouch! Slouching is generally regar
Rachel
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Like many others, I wanted to read Mary Poppins prior to watching Saving Mr. Banks so that I could see what PL Travers arguments would be about Walt Disney changing her work. I have to say that I am glad that Disney changed it! In the story, Mary Poppins was not a likeable character to me. I just wanted to get through the story to see if she would change any from the vain and frankly, mean, woman that she started out to be. She did not. Usually, I like books better than the movie adaptations, in ...more
AMEERA
perfect book to make you sleep
Kathryn
I've wanted to read "Mary Poppins" for years now. My mom read me many classic children's novels when I was a kid, and then I discovered some on my own in later years, but this is one that somehow slipped through the cracks. Not that Mary Poppins hasn't been an important figure in my life, thanks to the magic of the movie. I just always pictured her as a smiling, rosy-cheeked, singing, magical lady who looks like Julie Andrews! I was somewhat prepared for the differences between the book and movi ...more
Katie  Hanna
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is 1000% my aesthetic, and I love it to the moon and back.

I can't believe it's been fifteen years since I last read it. FIFTEEN YEARS, PEOPLE. That's a heck of a long time--but as soon as I started reading, I remembered everything. All the sights and sounds and colors, and even specific words and phrases on specific pages; it all came rushing back.

Raspberry jam cakes and gilt gingerbread and strawberry ice and smooth green lawns; peeling paint and golden snakeskin and soft yellow dan
Lp
Aug 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I know it's not unusual for Disney to eviscerate classics, but I was really surprised when I finally read this book to my children how little it resembled the Disney movie (which I liked!).

I adore this book. Mary is vain and crabby and a bit of a mystic, and bizarre things happen when she is around. But it's really about the ephemeral magic of childhood. I laughed out loud and wept openly when I read this to my kids. It is a wonderful book. I wish I'd read it earlier.
Duane
There is a dark undercurrent in this novel and in this character that I found disturbing. And a few of the other characters that you encounter I would describe as bizarre, like the old gingerbread lady, and the King Cobra at the zoo who likes to kiss your cheeks (no thank you). The movie, I understand, is different (I haven't seen it). As classic children novels go this one, for me, was not very likable, so three stars is the best I can do.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister
Quick review of the audio! This seemed a little different than what I remember of my book and record set I wore out from overuse back in the 80s (my poor parents! It was Mary Poppins all day, every day!)! I think my copy was the Walt Disney version and based on the movie with Julie Andrews, which made Mary Poppins not quite so temperamental! It was still fun and enjoyable, and I hope to listen to more in the series.
Marnie  Krüger
I've only ever watched the Walt Disney Movie, and to be very honest I didn't even know it was based on a book.

While reading The Fireman; Joe Hill's protagonist adores Mary Poppins and Julie Andrews. So obviously I had to see the movie again - actually I think I last saw it as a little girl. As an adult I've come to read the credits of the films more carefully; thus discovering this movie was based on books by P. L. Travers. I went on a hunt and got hold of the first book.
MP
This was very, very diff
Paul Bryant
Winnie the Pooh is wandering around outside the beautiful church of St Martin-in-the-Fields disconsolately. He appears slightly lost. Just a few yards away, perched on the low wall which surrounds Trafalgar Square, a smartly dressed woman is singing sweetly :

Feed the bear, tuppence a bag
Tuppence... tuppence... tuppence a bag

Two small children wander up to her.

"Please Miss, we want to feed the bear"

She smiles at the little girl. "Very well, she says. She takes their tuppence and gives them a sma
Rebecca McNutt
This was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. A true classic and the inspiration for the Disney film adaptation, Mary Poppins is still just as magical as I remembered it being. :)
Anna
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
supercalifragilisticexpialidocious... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRFHX...

Χρόνια πολλά και Καλά Χριστούγεννα αγαπητοί goodreads friends!!!

Σοκαρισμένη αντιλαμβάνομαι ότι δεν έχω γράψει κριτική γι' αυτό το αγαπημένο παιδικό ανάγνωσμα.. βέβαια τι να γράψω, όπως όλα τα παιδάκια μεγάλωσα με την ιστορία της αγαπημένης νταντάς που καταφέρνει να βάλει τα παραμελημένα-κακομαθημένα παιδιά της οικογένειας Μπανκς σε τάξη και να ενώσει την οικογένεια

Ταξιδέψτε στα μαγικά σοκάκια με τη Μαίρη Πόπινς, πίνοντ
Lesley
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
A one of a kind children's classic. You can watch my full review here - http://youtu.be/MsQ-7Xbf7PM
Diane
This was a delight. I liked the Disney movie when I was a kid, but after watching "Saving Mr. Banks," which focused on P.L. Travers' childhood and her difficult relationship with Walt Disney, I wanted to read the original stories.

Other reviews had warned that the Mary Poppins character in the book is quite different from the Julie Andrews version, but that didn't bother me. I could enjoy both forms.

Of all the imaginative stories in this first collection, my favorites were The Day Out, in which M
Hilary
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hilary by: Alexandra
We loved this book and can't wait to read more of the series. The story and characters are very different from the Disney film. Mary Poppins is stern which I suspect is normal for that era and I do appreciate a character portrayed as flawed and I do dislike the way Disney characters if they are mean they are old, ugly and cross looking whereas the good character is young, beautiful and smiley which I think very misleading for children.

We loved the magic in these stories, it's great to hear voice
April (Aprilius Maximus)
This review contains spoilers for the end of the book!

Characters: ★
The characters in this book are so weird. Sure, the kids would have been relatable at the time this was written but Mary Poppins was an extremely unlikeable character who just awful and bizarre, and not in the good way either. None of the characters stood out to me and they all felt really flat.

Plot: ★
The plot was just awful. Nothing happened. Mary Poppins came and was horrible to the children; they went on a couple of weird adv
Michael Finocchiaro
I read this one to my kids this year. Of course, they had seen the Disney classic and loved the character. What was surprising in the book was that Poppins comes off as far more bizarre, detached and haughty than she does in the film. It isn't that she doesn't adore the kids, but she also doesn't hesitate to put them in their place and sometimes her anger is more about her own station in life than some misbehavior of the children. There are of course adorable moments and funny incidents in this ...more
Gypsy
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: نوستالژی
مری پاپینز رو واسه اون نوستالژی ناب بچگیام خریدم. البته برا خواهر کوچیکمم خریدم ولی برا سن اونم زیادی بچگونهس. :)) ولی میخواستم اونم این حسو داشته باشه. حسی که من و داداشم با فیلم مری پاپینز داشتیم. فیلمش بهنظرم بهتر بود. شایدم من الان ببینم نظرم عوض شه و بفهمم رو حال و هوای بچگیم این حرفو زدم. بههرحال، چیز زیادی نمتونم بگم. چون فقط برا کِیفش خوندم و بهش یه جورایی احتیاج داشتم. یه سری چیزای ظریف و قشنگی داشت. مثل اینکه با باد شرقی میآد و هروقت باد غربی بوزه، میره. ...more
Cyndi
Apr 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book! If you loved this book half as much as I did, read more of the series. You will love them, too.

Just reread this book with my grandson. Read it to his mom, too, when she was young. Generations. A good book lasts forever.
Carissa
I found myself quite torn as to whether I liked Mary Poppins or not. After all, I was raised, like most children, on the Disney film where Mary Poppins is a delightful creature who sings “A Spoonful of Sugar” and gives Jane and Michael the best possible care. So it was hard to reconcile my Mary Poppins with P. L. Travers’ Mary Poppins because the two are quite different.

First of all, the format of the book was a little odd, like reading Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh. It’s done rather in single chapt
notgettingenough
Celebrity Deathmatch review in which Mary Poppins is pitted against Pride and Prejudice.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" is the best word and deserves YOUR vote just for its existence.

Think of what Mary Poppins gave you in your childhood. Well, it's payback time. And, let's face it. If Jane Austen had been able to read Mary Poppins in her childhood, think how much more fun her books would have been.

I rest my case.

Kellyn Roth
Everyone's going to shoot me, but I love the movie more. *hides*
Beth Bonini
The Mary Poppins series was a firm favourite when I was a child, but I used to borrow the books from the library: I never owned them myself. My children were fully exposed to the Disney DVDs, and I'm pretty sure they only knew Mary Poppins and the Bank family and the infamous Bert (as played by Dick van Dyke) from the film. Which is kind of a shame. Julie Andrews, even when playing 'stern', was much too rosy and kind to ever embody the Mary Poppins of the book.

Reading this book again, so many ye
Bookwarts Club of...: Mary Poppins 14 14 Feb 03, 2018 07:17PM
Austentatious Boo...: Mary Poppins Discussion 17 320 Jan 05, 2018 12:38AM
Never too Late to...: * YA Book of the Month - June Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers 51 57 Aug 04, 2017 11:56PM
2018 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers 15 43 Oct 27, 2016 10:54PM
Catching up on Cl...: Mary Poppins - SPOILERS 13 66 Sep 18, 2016 02:36AM
The Better Book C...: July: Musicals 5 2 Sep 06, 2016 04:36AM
  • The 101 Dalmatians (The Hundred and One Dalmatians, #1)
  • Bedknob and Broomstick
  • Das doppelte Lottchen
  • The Rescuers (The Rescuers, #1)
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #1)
  • Happy Times in Noisy Village
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • Babe: The Gallant Pig
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • Finn Family Moomintroll (The Moomins, #3)
  • Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9)
  • Charlotte Sometimes
  • Hello, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #4)
  • Nurse Matilda
  • The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle (Doctor Dolittle, #2)
  • When We Were Very Young (Winnie-the-Pooh, #3)
Pamela Lyndon Travers was an Australian novelist, actress and journalist, popularly remembered for her series of children's novels about mystical nanny Mary Poppins.
She was born to bank manager Travers Robert Goff and Margaret Agnes. Her father died when she was seven, and although "epileptic seizure delirium" was given as the cause of death, Travers herself "always believed the underlying cause w
More about P.L. Travers

Mary Poppins (6 books)
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • Mary Poppins Opens the Door (Mary Poppins, #3)
  • Mary Poppins in the Park (Mary Poppins, #4)
  • Mary Poppins in Cherry Tree Lane (Mary Poppins, #5)
  • Mary Poppins and the House Next Door (Mary Poppins, #6)
“Don't you know that everybody's got a Fairyland of their own?” 216 likes