Start by marking “Applesauce Day” as Want to Read:
Applesauce Day

Applesauce Day

Maria and her family visit an apple orchard and pick apples. Then it's time to turn the apples into applesauce! Every year they use the special pot that has been in the family for generations to make applesauce. First they wash the apples. Then Grandma cuts them into quarters. Follow each step in the process as everyone helps to make delicious applesauce!
Published August 1st 2017 by Albert Whitman Company

To ask other readers questions about Applesauce Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Applesauce Day

Start your review of Applesauce Day
Brittany
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book. It was such a sweet story about a family tradition and family heirloom (the large cooking pot) that was passed down through the generations. It reminded me of canning tomatoes with my grandpa as a child (especially the getting very messy and sticky part). Such a great book, plus it has a recipe and apple facts in the back. This would be a great book to use during a Johnny Appleseed lesson to show what all can be done with apples. Don't miss out on this book!
DeNae
Feb 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone with fond memories of making special food with generations of my family and who shares those traditions with my kids, this book was a delightful read that brought back fond memories.
Carrie Charley Brown
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tapping into background knowledge is paramount for children to make connections with a text. But what happens when a child has a limited amount of experience to draw from? You make applesauce. By incorporating every ingredient of an experience, a child can live through others in a book like Applesauce Day.

Every year, Maria’s family makes applesauce in the same pot that her mom and grandma used when they were little. Maria is old enough to know what to expect and now helps her siblings to unders
Nancy Sanders
Aug 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Growing up on a farm, the day we made applesauce was always a special treat. It was often the day AFTER we climbed the wild apple trees growing haphazardly in various pastures or along cow paths. They always offered us a delightful assortment of unnamed varieties of apples. Then would come the cooking and straining through the food mill—much like it explains here in this book.

This delightful book captures it all! (Except of course, the day we made applesauce and the baby goldfinch my brother had
Maria Marshall
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-picture
This book will bring back sweet, sticky, and tiring memories of childhoods spent canning and making applesauce. It also provides the suburban and urban kids a taste of what the countryside has to offer and where applesauce comes from.
​​After loading the car, the whole family heads to the orchard to pick apples. Then it's off to Grandma's house to make applesauce. While the apples cook, Mama and Grandma both remember their childhood days of making applesauce. The same special pot for applesauce
Kathy
Aug 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
APPLESAUCE DAY is a treat to read for many reasons! Author Lisa Amstutz shares a fun, lyrical intergenerational story of apple picking and applesauce making. Onomatopoeia adds a nice flavor for read aloud-ability. The main character, a young girl, understands by the story's end why this pot is so special. Someday she hopes to cook apple sin the special pot, too. Back matter includes an applesauce recipe and amazing apple facts. I recommend this as a family read aloud for fall, before apple picki ...more
Angie Quantrell
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Fall traditions will get me every single time. I love this story of a special pot and how generations have used it to make applesauce. (I can just smell and taste the warm applesauce now!) A family fun day turns into a special work day of harvesting apples and making applesauce with grandparents. I enjoyed the flashbacks (fun and well done in this picture book) of past generations using the same pot. Great fall (or anytime) read!
Kelly
Nice book about a little girl and her family who make a day of making applesauce. The themes are of family and tradition, which is very nice and also easy to follow. Bonus? An applesauce recipe in the back. I didn't like the illustrations.
Kathy
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of an apple-themed story time for four-year-olds. It is a sweet story about family and traditions, and the process of making applesauce. It reminded me of Jam Day by Barbara M. Joosse.
Jenna Grodzicki
Jan 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story evokes so many happy memories of picking apples with my family. My children enjoyed reading it and reminiscing about all our apple picking adventures throughout the past several years. This book has quickly become a family favorite.
Samantha
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A family picks apples together and then cooks homemade applesauce using a family heirloom: a large pot.

Back matter includes an applesauce recipe and facts about apples. Artwork is vintage inspired. PreK-2.
Rebecca Gomez
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A pleasant little story. I like that this book presents applesauce-making as something that people still do at home, and maybe it will encourage families to try it themselves!
Angie
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
The pictures are so cute and the text is simple
Lisa
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Picking apples as a family and making them into applesauce as a family. Wow. All American values. Nice. I highly recommend this book. It even touches on generations.
Norkett
Apr 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
We picked this one up as my brother eats applesauce every night after supper. We enjoyed it, especially the pieces surrounding family traditions.
Casandria
A great little story about making applesauce with family.
Apples
Robin
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Cozy story about a family food tradition. Great addition to autumn and apple curriculum units. Recommended for ages 4-6.
Shelley Kinder
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A sweet and cheerful book that makes me want to make applesauce. Love the illustrations too!
Mandy
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Picture book. I heard about this book in a webinar on accurate agricultural books for children. This book made me smile because my grandmother always bought bushels of apples and made applesauce for the family. It was always runnier and sweeter than the kind bought from the store. This book shows one family picking apples from the orchard and making a day out of making the applesauce. They make it with their grandmother, using the same pot that Grandma helped her mom make applesauce in. I love t ...more
Brian Spravka
Dec 22, 2017
Jennifer Rummel
Jul 23, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Why Do Leaves Change Color?
  • Apple Farmer Annie
  • Windows
  • Boats Go
  • Cars Go
  • Even Monsters Go to School
  • The Magic School Bus Explores the Senses (The Magic School Bus, #10)
  • Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of How a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes, and Cherries (and Children) Across the Plains
  • Too Many Pumpkins