Start by marking “Dragons of Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Dragons of Tomorrow

Dragons of Tomorrow

After the collapse of civilization Nora and her family live a quiet life in the Midwestern Plains until a great fiery god of the sky descends and makes her an irresistible offer-an offer that will take her away from those she loves forever. "Dragons of Tomorrow" is a standalone story by the author of the Stranje House series, available now from Tor Teen.

At the Publisher's
Published December 14th 2016 by Tor Books (first published November 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Dragons of Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragons of Tomorrow

Start your review of Dragons of Tomorrow
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. In this post-apocalyptic tale, Nora lives with her mother and her brother Robbie on an isolated farm in the U.S. Midwestern plains, where they eke out a hand-to-mouth existence. Cities have been burned and millions killed by some beings of intense light that the humans call dragons. As the story begins, Nora and Robbie are being chased by a dragon, terrified that they'll be killed. But the dragon just wants to talk ...

This short story fell flat for me: Only part of the overall story
Amber
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty good short story about a young girl who is told by dragons that she is one of them and that one day she will go with them to see other worlds. Check it out here at this link:

Alina
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It promises a story, but doesn't really deliver it - for me, it seemed more of an idea for a novel, than an actual complete story. Its premises are clearly interesting, the writing is good, but it leaves far too many questions for it to seem finished.

3+ for making me interested in the author's other works :)

L.E. Unfortunately, she writes mostly romance, even worse - seems like YA romance, so I'll probably skip it...
Athena
Dec 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: younger SF readers
An interesting snippet of a short story that reads like a writing experiment or an idea for a novel. It doesn't go much of anywhere, but was an entertaining read. Young Adult.

Read for free at: Dragons of Tomorrow
Yvonne
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoy a decent short story and this was a fairly decent short story. It wasn't mind blowing fun like what one finds in one of the old children's classic books nor did it hit me at a deep profound or emotional level, but it was enjoyable.

I feel as though the author was trying to convey a deeper meaning to the story and I could feel it, it was right there, but I just couldn't find it.

While I like dragons these aren't the typical traditional dragons you find in other stories so if that is what
Sandra
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, free, pnr-uf
A Tor free read.

Speculative fiction.

Pretty damn good and very interesting.
Brenda Lower
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dragons, dystopian
Great short story about possibilities. Liked it a lot.
Kat W
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A lovely, somewhat melancholic, short story open to interpretation and written in a simple, lyrical style. There are no clear answers in this story, but I liked that quality. What are these dragons? Are they dragons? Angels? Is this about death and rebirth? What is it that Nora is a part of?

The setting and image descriptions are bleak yet beautiful. For me, the descriptions really won me over.

The gods circle high above us in a never-ending ring of fire. Winged creatures that occasionally
Heaven Morrow
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was blown away by the imagination of this author. The form the “dragons” take really take advantage of the written word, leaving room for interpretation in the mind of the reader, which I enjoyed. These dragons were the most fantastic beasts I had ever tried to imagine, and the plight of the protagonist left me wondering what I would do and how I would feel about the end.
Joe
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quality writing, however abrupt.
The Idle Woman
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

This strange, dreamlike story looks forward to a future where civilisation has crumbled away, melted and burned to a husk by the fiery beings who have come out of nowhere into the skies. As these creatures – not dragons, nor gods – carve their everlasting fiery circles into the heavens, Nora and her brother Robbie scrabble for survival on the bleak Midwestern farm where they live with their mother. One day, an unexpected meeting opens up a whole new world of possibilities. An odd
Ulla
Jan 15, 2017 rated it liked it
The dragons (though they don't want to be called so in the story) have taken over the earth.

The story is told from the perspective of a 16 year old girl. She and her brother flee across the prairie followed by one of the fiery creatures. When she realizes they can't both escape she tells her brother to run to the next outcrop and hide while she faces the dragon.

Very interesting and exciting at the beginning, the encounter with the dragon and the telepathy like talk between him and the girl very
Cecilia
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Dragons of Tomorrow is an enjoyable, thought-provoking short story that unfortunately leads nowhere. It reads more as a prologue than a story of its own, and I'm disappointed to find it has no continuation, no way of strengthening its message. While I understand the author probably chose to publish it this way to be open to interpretation, I feel in this case it was not quite effective. Still, it is imaginative and well-written, and if Baldwin ever decides to add to this little pocket of a ...more
karenbee
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tor-short
The massive being alights on the ground with the grace of a butterfly landing on a rose petal. The earth does not split open. The grass barely stirs, but the creature burns so hot and white I must shade my eyes with my arm.

I’ve heard tales that looking directly at one of them will melt a man into a charred puddle. This is the end of me anyway, so I dare to look, blinking as I strain to peer into the brightness. “What are you?” I whisper to myself, knowing the answer will not be given. Long ago
Maggie Gordon
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
There's a difference between a short story that leaves you wondering about the world, and one that simply isn't much of a story at all. Dragons of Tomorrow offers readers a glimpse of... something. Who really knows what that something is. "Dragons" tell our protagonist that she's one of them. One of what, exactly? If they aren't dragons? And why do I care? Because no one has a character yet. There's a set-up for a story in this, but not actually a story which makes it an unfulfilling read.
Kim Teeple
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
Dragons of Tomorrow is an interesting philosophical view on what humans may face someday if we ever have to share Earth with another sentient species. The main character is memorable as a coming of age woman still trying to find her own identity. This short story would make a great prologue for a book about how humans cope while under constant duress. Would we evolve or die?
An Odd1
Mar 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
After the "dragons" burn down cities and more, flying above to threaten survivors, one offers girl Nora mystifying riddles. (view spoiler) I wondered if after death, souls of good people joined the burning flyers who travel stars, but feel maybe I missed the moral? the point? Is there one?
Gerchia
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars!

Wonderful. And hopelessly too short. Felt like an extended blurb than a proper short story. The descriptions of the "dragons" were so beautifully vivid I found myself straining and imagining what they really look like. Honestly this was such a tease. Why write something so great and not continue it. I want to know the answers to all the loose ends this little jewel of a story left behind. I know that it'd be great.

NEED MORE.
Merit
Jan 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Interesting idea with evocative imagery – the rings of fire in the sky are pretty memorable. I liked that the 'dragons' were never really explained and you were left wondering about these bright, shining creatures. The story seems like a fragment of a larger story at times and Nora's story only really beginning. Lovely art as well!
Marco
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
After the collapse of civilization Nora and her family live a quiet life in the Midwestern Plains until a great fiery god of the sky descends and makes her an irresistible offer, an offer that will take her away from those she loves forever.
Rachael Abude
Beautify imagery, but felt unfinished. I'm sure that was intentional but it left me wanting more, like I started a book of 100 pages, got to page 10 and realized the last 90 were missing. I would love to see it expanded.
Erika
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, fantasy
All I can say is.... "That's IT??"
Remy
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love

I am so intrigued with this story, but I want more!!! Can someone tell me where to find the rest of this story?
Denise
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This seemed more like an idea for a story/book, that a complete story
Aleighsha
2.5/5 stars
Hanneleele
Mulle meeldis see, see tekitas tüüneid tundeid.
A. Flores
Mar 26, 2017 rated it liked it
cool concept... but I really don't like the lack of conclusion in this kind of short stories
Aditi
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5.
Ely
Dec 30, 2016 rated it liked it
I really liked this, but I wish it had more of an ending—it just felt very abrupt, and I wanted to know more about these characters and their world.
James
Dec 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Lady Astronaut of Mars
  • The Library of Lost Things
  • A Pest Most Fiendish
  • The Three Lives of Sonata James
  • Waiting on a Bright Moon
  • The Olympian Affair (The Cinder Spires, #2)
  • Triquetra
  • A Kiss With Teeth
  • A Fist of Permutations in Lightning and Wildflowers
  • Deadly Sting (Elemental Assassin, #8)
  • Into the Gray
  • The Burning World  (Warm Bodies, #2)
  • Somewhere Only We Know
  • Lagoon
  • Binti (Binti, #1)
  • The Virtual Swallows of Hog Island
  • The Story of Kao Yu
  • The Martian Obelisk
Award-winning author Kathleen Baldwin loves adventure in books and in real life. She taught rock climbing in the Rockies, survival camped in the desert, was stalked by a mountain lion, lost an argument with a rattlesnake, enjoyed way too many classes in college, fell in love at least a dozen times, and married her very own hero. They’ve raised four free-spirited adventurous children.
Find more