Start by marking “The Terror of St.Trinian's and Other Drawings” as Want to Read:
The Terror of St.Trinian's and Other Drawings

The Terror of St.Trinian's and Other Drawings

Ronald Searle takes us back to the world of the Gothic Public School in The Terror of St Trinian's. In this gloriously anarchic academy for young ladies we witness shootings, knifings, torture and witchcraft, as well as many maidenly arts. The subject of many evergreen films, St Trinian's is synonymous with the sort of outrageous behaviour that would make a convict blench. ...more
Published November 2nd 2000 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about The Terror of St.Trinian's and Other Drawings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terror of St.Trinian's and Other Drawings

Bill
Sep 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, humour
I enjoyed this book very much, the humour, the drawings and the story. St Trinians were originally a cartoon series, featuring a nasty girl's school in England where the girls were armed and dangerous. There were a number of books and also a number of movies. The plot of this story, The Terror of St Trinian's doesn't really matter, but basically, it's a competition between gang leader, one Angela Menace and Head Girl, Chloe Languish, over the rights to handsome Board of Education inspector, Rupe ...more
Sam Quixote
Jan 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book contains the works of "St Trinians", "from Merry England, etc", "The Hand of Authority", "Souls in Torment", a selection from "Molesworth", and "The Rake's Progress".

Ronald Searle is one of the 20th century's most influential and revered cartoonists. His work influenced Korky Paul and Quentin Blake, and his work on "St Trinians" is similar in style and scope to that of his American contemporary Charles Addams' "Addams Family" cartoons.

"St Trinians" is a one joke cartoon where a gothic

"St Trinians" is a one joke cartoon where a gothic
Sally
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pictures, funny, e-read
Enjoyable and funny, but I am not going to count this in my books of 2011 list because it's only pictures and looking at it doesn't really count as "reading" something.

I loved the film The Belles of St. Trinian's so I knew what to expect of the girls, but the (e)book still made me laugh out loud on many occasions!
Elizabeth
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this. It is a collection of illustrations and they're all pretty good and I found myself enjoying the whole thing as a whole. I really liked the St. Trinian's illustrations as well as the The Rake's Progress. There was also one illustration that looked like two penguins (the logo) who were tired, with one asking the other "Read any good books lately?". I really appreciated that one.
Courtney
Interesting. I think I'll stick to the movies though.

I found a few of the comics funny, and there were a few I didn't really get. Not sure if it's a cultural thing or generational... probably the latter.
David
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy-humor
I'd thought I was fairly familiar with Searle's cartoons. Apparently I was wrong. All the cartoons collected here were new to me. The St. Trinian's section is the best. The rest were dull, a bit dated.
Lynne
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sadly dated, particularly in its depictions of 'the girls' and the pursuit of the perfect Prince Charming, but Searle's drawings remain an utter delight.
Mckinley
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics-graphic
Horrors and terrors - mostly the school students. Along with other sets of illustrations.
Hoang-Anh
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
witty and poignant, too good for a gloomy afternoon reading time
Valerie
I think this is the edition I read. If so, it contains the cartoon "Hand up the girl who burned down the East Wing last night."
Katrina
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is amazingly similar to the 1960s films. A bit of a hoot and great illustrations by Ronald Searle.
Vicky Waterfield
Oct 29, 2017
Lilly Piri
Aug 13, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ronald William Fordham Searle, CBE, RDI, is an influential English artist and cartoonist. Best known as the creator of St Trinian's School (the subject of several books and seven full-length films). He is also the co-author (with Geoffrey Willans) of the Molesworth series.

He started drawing at the age of five and left school at the age of 15. In April 1939, realizing that war was inevitable, he ab