Start by marking “Indigo (Water Tales, #2)” as Want to Read:
Indigo (Water Tales, #2)

Indigo (Water Tales #2)

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  1,795 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Oak Grove is a dry, dusty town haunted by the memories of a past flood. Everyone dreads water--everyone except two brothers, Trevor and Eli McGill. Nicknamed Trout and Eel for their darting quickness and the thin webbing between their fingers and toes, the boys dream of the farthest seas and of a mysterious past they only half remember. In helping them reach their hearts' ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Egmont Books Ltd (first published January 1st 2002)

Emily Ann
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, but I thought that the author tried to do too many things in too short of a book and it came out jumpy and disjointed. It is a very quick read (even for YA books), so perfectly worth it if you are interested in the concept. However, while I felt like I was shown some brief flashes of insights into characters/back stories/etc, they never followed through. I was left feeling like I walked through the middle of a conversation and never understood what was really happening.

Julie Suzanne
More like a long, mediocre short story about discovering who you are, despite what society or parents try to mold you into. It was okay, and the reason I'll keep it in my classroom library and maybe recommend it to a reluctant, low-level reader, is that they would be able to get through it, which may inspire them to keep reading novels. It's nothing that will change anyone's life, though.

A bit of fantasy in an unrealistic story that is supposed to seem realistic.
Lisa James
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a short quick novella written for the YA audience. It's about dreams, family, & friendship, as well as mermaid magic. It hooks you quick, & teaches the very valuable lesson, be who you ARE. Embrace your individuality, what is special about yourself. Those who love you will treasure it.
Brooklyn Billington
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Personal Response:
I personally liked this book a lot. I loved the story line behind it. My favorite part was the end when the brothers saved the town. I only wished it was more detailed!

Plot Summary:
This book is about two brothers Trevor and Eli McGill and their best friend Martha Glimmer. The Boys nicknames are Trout and Eel for their quickness and the thin webbing between their fingers and toes. They live in a town called Oak Grove where every one dreads water unlike the brothers. The McGill b
Discoverylover
Jan 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: water lovers
Recommended to Discoverylover by: WingedMan
A really good friend sent me this last April because we are both huge water lovers! A really charming (short) children's book, I re-read this every so often just because :-)

"Oak Grove is a dry, dusty town haunted by memories of a past flood. Everyone dreads the water - except two brothers, Trevor and Eli McGill. Nicknamed Trout and Eel for their darting quickness and the thin webbing between their fingers and toes, the boys dream of the farthest seas of a mysterious past they barely remember.

Mar
Kimberly
Feb 05, 2008 rated it liked it
I kept on reading when Aquamarine was finished in the book I have that has both stories. The quote "A real friend believes in you when you don't believe in yourself..." immediatly struck me. I'll keep reading. . . .

Two more quotes struck me this afternoon while reading:
"sometimes words spoken are the ones you've been afraid to think, but once they're said aloud there's no way to make them disappear."

"...of how hard it was to leave behind the people you loved, even if the life you wanted wasn't
Cheryl
Mar 31, 2018 rated it liked it
I picked this for one of my 2018 reading challenges (favorite color in the title). I enjoy Hoffman's writing and chose this one without realizing it was a kid book. Needless to say it was a quick read.

I didn't know this was a 2nd book in a series, but I don't feel like I missed too much by not reading the first. Maybe I'll go back and find it just because. It took me less than an hour to read this one so it isn't like it would be time consuming to do so.

The story was sweet, but I feel like it wo
Naomi Campbell
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
This is the kind of book you read in the middle of the night because you don't have to think and it's just a pleasant little book. Not boring at all. Great characters. Makes you want to go swimming and make a difference in the world, even your own little world, if not the big ol' world. Makes you appreciate the little weirdnesses everybody has that make us "different" or "weird" and wonder how you would be if you had this characteristic or that, and what you would do with them if you did have th ...more
C.J. Milbrandt
Martha's two best friends are the McGill brothers, Trevor and Eli, better known as Trout and Eel. They're teased by other kids in their small town for having webbed fingers and toes. Different. But Martha intends to stick with them no matter what ... even going so far as to help Trevor fulfill his life's dream of visiting the ocean.

Grieving daughter and adopted sons. Fish pie and too many casseroles. Dancing under stars and dreaming of the ocean. A mother's love and being a family.
Kimberly
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a story about two boys who were adopted by a family who kept them away from water well the two boys longed to see the ocean so they "ran away" with their bestfriend to go to the ocean well on there way a storm came and her arm broke when a branch fell on it so they turned back but it turns out the town had flooded and the two boys find out their mother was a mermaid and thats why they had webbed hands and could swim really fast
Becki
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent book about belonging to the sea -- a fitting read to end 2017, the year that I birthed a Pisces.
Lydia
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Slightly better than the first in characters.
Claire
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the longing for water.
Lena Riemersma
Feb 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
Adolescent novella about three friends who have lost their mothers at young ages and do not feel like they fit in to their small coastal town because of mysterious birth circumstances.
Shelli
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
No thanks.
Kayla
May 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
This story was short and just not a lot happened...
Erin Schyck
Mar 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent short story.
Sophia
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Even in a tiny MG tome, Hoffman will make me cry repeatedly.
Jenny
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book for work. Short and sweet. Cute story. Completely predictable but the 7th graders enjoyed it.
Diane
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Trout and Eel McGill long to see the ocean; Is it calling them back?
Kris
Jun 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
I am a huge fan of Alice Hoffman’s books for adults like Practical Magic, The Probable Future and Here on Earth. I was so excited to see her in the juvenile fiction stacks. It is a short book, less than 100 pages, but a full tale where Hoffman covers a range of emotions and rich details in this book.

Martha Glimmer has lost her mother. Her father is too sad to pay any real attention to her. They live in a town that was devastated by a flood many years ago. There is a real fear of water there amo
Nadira Syahidah
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
I found this book in English version on the campus library. It's not thick, only 84 pages and it took less than 1 hour to finish it.The story is simple but interesting. 3 teenagers who lived in a dry town called Oak Grove feel that this town is horrible. It's too dry and the fact is, it never rained in Oak Grove. Martha and 2 McGill brothers (Trout and Eel) hated being traped in that town. The McGill brothers always dream about ocean. Eel told that he never go to the beach even collected the sea ...more
Justin
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english-420
This fantasy follows the lives of one ordinary girl, named Martha Glimmer, and her friendship with two unordinary adopted brothers named Trevor and Eli McGill. Trevor and Eli, nicknamed Trout and Eel, are not like the other kids in town, they have webbing in between their fingers and toes. The town, after suffering from a devastating flood when the river overflowed, dammed up the river and are scared of having a large body of water in town. Trout and Eel's adoptive parents are very adamant that ...more
Lydia
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Don't let the slimness of this book fool you: it is a full, rich story told in a quick way and in a short amount of time. Every word and phrase is chosen carefully, and the characters are so intricately described and woven together, one will find oneself wishing for a sequel when the book finally comes to completion.

Martha Glimmer has had a terrible year. Her mother has died and a woman who doesn't like kids has taken over her grieving father's life. In addition, Martha has strange friends. One
Destiny Brown
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book Indigo is a fiction story. The theme of this book is your fate will catch up with you at some point in time.

At the beginning of the book you learn about two boys, Eli and Trevor McGill who were adopted. The boys moved to a town called Oak Grove. They met their best friend in that little town name Martha Glimmer. The three of them decided they were tired of that little town and decided to leave the town. They thought running away would be the best choice, so as the started to run away i
リサ
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
I was kinda lost when I found this book within amcor's shelves this afternoon. Not that kind of dramatic loss duh, I just found myself having no idea about what to do so I went to the campus library. I didn't know this novella was a part of a series and it is the second book yaela but I've read the half of the pages before I found out about it so I continue.
It might be the most light reading I've ever experienced however the story is, surprisingly, not lacked of meaning. The plot is super except
Nathan Burgoine
Mar 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This is another of the (three?) young adult novels written by Alice Hoffman, who is a favourite of mine (she wrote "Practical Magic," which is hands down one of my favourite books, ever). This is an even shorter tale than the first young adult Hoffman I read, "Green Angel."

Basically, the tale of "Indigo," is the tale of a young girl, Martha Glimmer, who is coming of age in a painful environment - her father is currently quite numb after the death of her mother nearly a year earlier, and her thir
James Mehl
Sep 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: english-420
Omar S.
Oct 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A book about 2 brothers who miss the ocean. They love the water in unimaginable ways. There is a reason behind it. The 2 brothers live in a very dry area where it almost never rains. They miss the ocean so the brothers beg their father, hoping to go back to the ocean. I think you should read it because it’s a really short but good book.

The point of the book was that 2 brothers miss the ocean. They want to go back but their father won’t let them. They beg and beg but they don’t get to go back.
B-zee
Tiga sahabat; Martha Glimmer, Trevor dan Eli McGill merasa Oak Grove bukan tempat mereka seharusnya berada. Martha punya mimpi untuk berada di kota-kota besar dan mengambangkan karir sebagai penari, sedangkan McGill bersaudara merindukan laut yang tak pernah mereka jumpai sejak hidup di Oak Grove yang tinggi dan kering.

Oak Grove sendiri punya sejarah yang suram berhubungan dengan air. Banjir besar membuat mereka membuat dinding yang melindungi kota itu dari air. Namun saat ketiga sahabat itu mem
  • The Mouse of Amherst: A Tale of Young Readers
  • Just Grace, Star on Stage (Just Grace, #9)
  • The Islander
  • Stormswept (Ingo, #5)
  • Summerhouse Time
  • Ophie Out of Oz
  • Empire State of Slime (The Zombie Chasers #4)
  • The Summer Sherman Loved Me
  • The Fourth Grade Wizards
  • Just Add Magic
  • Witch Twins (Witch Twins, #1)
  • Hope's Crossing
  • Fairy School Dropout
  • Trouble River
  • The Barn
  • Guarding the Princess
  • The Teashop Girls (Teashop Girls, #1)
  • Lucy (Daughters of the Sea, #3)
Alice Hoffman is the author of more than thirty works of fiction, including The Rules of Magic, The Marriage of Opposites, Practical Magic, The Red Garden, the Oprah’s Book Club selection Here on Earth, The Museum of Extraordinary Things, and The Dovekeepers. She lives near Boston.
More about Alice Hoffman

Water Tales (2 books)
  • Aquamarine (Water Tales, #1)
“He believed in dreams, in endings that people told you could never happen, in disappointments reversed and luck that lasted.” 16 likes
“At midnight the wind in the tress can sound like the ocean. The moonlight can make a road appear as endless as the sea.” 12 likes