Start by marking “Oops, Caught (Expanding Horizon #1)” as Want to Read:
Oops, Caught (Expanding Horizon #1)

Oops, Caught

(Expanding Horizon #1)

3.07  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Mark Noland can’t figure out how he got into such a fix. How does an ex-mercenary (okay, an almost-reformed mercenary) get himself caught, stuck in a holding cell, on a hostile alien planet? Held captive by strange bug-like creatures who’d just as soon eat him as look at him. How can a simple mission go so awry? To make matters worse, Noland’s not alone. His fellow prisone ...more
Published January 2nd 2017 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about Oops, Caught, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oops, Caught

M'rella
More like 3.4, but at the same time I hate giving it 3 stars. Will elaborate later.

Darn it. Forgot to update. But as far as I recall, it's the same old "short story" problem where it feels more like a digest, than the whole thing.
Devann
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley

This was an okay story, but overall I feel like it was really just too short and the characters would have felt more real if there was some extra page time devoted to fleshing them out [I mean there is a bit at the end I guess but I would have preferred it more towards the beginning]. Still it was a fun story and I can only really handle sci-fi in short bursts usually anyway.
J.C. Long
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's a wonderful story. It starts off right away, throwing you in mid-scene, almost, and yet you never really feel lost thanks to the way that Alli Reshi weaves the story. The characters are believable and fun, and I enjoy the first person POV. My biggest complaint with the story is why did it end so fast?! I want to see more of the universe, more of the story, and really hope that Alli Reshi's next release is a longer one that I can really sink my eyes into!
Elaine White
Book – Oops, Caught (Expanding Horizon, 1)
Author – Alli Reshi
Star rating - ★★★★☆
No. of Pages – 50
Cover – Perfect!
POV – 1st person, one character
Would I read it again – Yes
Genre – LGBT, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Triggers – suicidal thoughts/actions, threat of cross-species alien cannibalism, PTSD

** COPY RECEIVED THROUGH NETGALLEY **

The book started with the main characters already captured and in prison, which wasn't what I was expecting, but once I got reading it, made for a good impact start to t
Ronnie
This review was originally posted on my blog, Paradise Found

I received a free ebook copy of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I would give the first half of this novella a higher rating than I'd give the second half. I rarely come across a situation like this but here it is. The first part deserved three stars (pineapples) in my book, the second, one. The overall result: a sad two-star rating.

Noland and Officer Gavnson are shut up in a cell together. A
Katie
With such a simple premise (two people captured together who have to escape, secretive pasts, sexual tension, etc), how good this book was truly depended on the execution. Unfortunately, I don't feel like it was executed very well, and I ended up quitting the book at about 50% (and based on the other reviews, it doesn't sound like I missed much).

I think one of the issues is that this book is so short. This isn't a problem in of itself, but if a book is that short, it has to really pack a punch
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, m-m
This book was provided to me via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

My rating: 2.5/5 stars.

To be fair, this is not actually a bad read. I was mostly just distracted by how much I felt like I was reading a Guardians of the Galaxy fanfic where the names and some details were changed.

Ex-criminal with a heart of gold who was raised by a crew of mercenaries? Check.

Team member who has the appearance of (what I assume) an Earth animal? Check. (Ken is a Nanaska fox.)

Badass lady on the team who
Olivia
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
**Copy provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

Overall, I enjoyed this book. It's short, which means you're dropped right into the middle without too much introduction so there wasn't much opportunity for me to get bored. The world building was good without dumping it in your lap and I enjoyed both characters. My only real issue is that, due to the length, the relationship at the end just felt too sudden for me, though it did leave me desperate to find out more about their backst
P Leslie
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi-mm

*I voluntarily read a Review Copy of this book. All opinion stated are solely my own and no one elses*

2- 2.5 stars

The beginning was intense and action packed but that’s pretty much all I liked about it.

The book itself was short, rushed and underdeveloped. Nolan and Gavnson’s interaction towards the end, felt forced. Gavnson’s issues were merely touched upon which was disappointing.

This book was ok but wasn’t to my taste.
Borderstar
2.5 stars - can't decide whether to round up or down. On the one hand I liked quite a bit of this, but then the ending was a little disappointing.

This was actually pretty good for the most part but then towards the end there was a lot of dialogue between Noland and Gavnson that just seemed forced/stilted and not natural at all. It ruined it a bit for me so I can't really rate it any higher. Quite a short read too at around 50pp.
Kristin
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a delightful and fun space romp, that really, had no actual romping.

Premise of the book is Noland and Gavnson find themselves behind bars after a covert option goes bad. Noland is a mercenary; Everien Gavnson is an officer in the Stella Corp. The two share a rocky history, but Noland is determined that no man will be left behind to get eaten by the bugs, and that includes the prickly officer. But what Gavnson eventually reveals startles even the Mercenary.

This was so much fun! I’m usu
Shee Reader
Jan 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review for Boy Meets Boy Reviews by Shee Reader

Rating 3.5 Hearts

Oops, Caught opens in a prison cell on a far off planet inhabited my giant horned insects that eat humanoids who have annoyed them! What an opening! I was dropped right into the story from the outset. The pair of prisoners are our main characters: Noland a mostly reformed mercenary, and Gavnson an Everian, and Stellar Corps officer. They are quite the unlikely couple and the bickering from the outset reminded me of growing up with s
Natosha Wilson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a short story that I would describe as finding a reason to hope again.

What do you do when you are caught and captured with the one person that you do not particularly care for, or at least on the outside appearance would say that you didn't? You try your hardest to not kill each other, try to find your way out, and hope your true feelings do not come out along the way.

Mark is an ex mercenary turned good guy theif. Him and Gavnson was captured on what was supposed to be an easy mission t
Ilona
Russ
Feb 06, 2018
Dolors
Mar 20, 2017

Expanding Horizon (2 books)
  • Bank Run  (Expanding Horizon #2)