Start by marking “Blue Demon” as Want to Read:
Blue Demon

Blue Demon

When the meek need defending, they call on Blue Demon, a guardian of bloodshed and retribution. Its loyalty is forever, as long as you remain righteous. For those that oppress the demon’s flock, life grows short. It kills in the most brutal fashion, and maims those it most despises. It has no feelings, only loyalty and devotion for the ones it protects. Of course, this is ...more
Published December 15th 2016 by Sinister Grin Press (first published November 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Demon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Demon

Kimberly
Graeme Rodaughan
A brutal novella with trials, tribulations and revenge on center stage.

Was it scary? No. Did I cringe? Yes.

Lots of graphic violence and some graphic sex. The short format didn't give much time for character development.

Well written for the subject matter, but not really my cup of tea.

3.5 stars.
David Brian
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Oh, boy, it sucks to be Cal Langston!
Blue Demon's opening pages introduce us to Dan Langston, a father desperate to secure a Blue Demon action figure for his young son, Cal. Blue Demon was a much-loved cartoon character from Dan's childhood, and now the TV series has been re-issued on dvd, and this has allowed Dan and Cal to find a shared enjoyment in the exploits of the vengeful demon.

A series of tragic events follow, each one demonstrating just how much it sucks to be Cal Langston,
Ken McKinley
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, own-kindle
The Blue Demon is a cartoon character that Dan used to watch when he was a child. The cartoon only lasted three years, but when he stumbled upon the series many years later, he immediately wanted to share it with his son, Cal. Cal loved it and this became something that father and son could bond over. The Blue Demon exacted revenge on the enemies of those it protected, at least that's how story goes. The rumor has it that the Blue Demon legend was around long before the cartoon came out. So, whe ...more
Glenn Rolfe
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderfully entertaining and ruthless novella.

David Bernstein's BLUE DEMON is about a blue demon action figure that holds the ability to exact revenge upon command. It's a fun idea that Bernstein runs with and executes like a boss.

The main character here is Cal Langston. He suffers a horrible amount of shitty things in the 100-plus page story. There were multiple times I found myself saying, "Holy shit, Bernstein!" There's two scenes in the hospital that got me for different reason. The
Frank Errington
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review copy

David Bernstein is rapidly becoming a MUST READ author for me. His stuff tends to be raw, gripping, compelling, and above all imaginative. Sometimes played for fun, but more often for vengeance.

Blue Demon was Dan's favorite cartoon growing up, so much so he purchased the complete 3-season DVD collection as an adult and introduced it to his nine-year-old son, Cal.

Blue Demon was a deity that could be called upon to defend people in need, to right injustices and to make sure the people o
John
3.5 Stars

This story was satisfying, in a horrible sort of way. And I really liked it... until the end. I feel that if the ending had gone another way, it would have made the story more poignant.

It's worth a read, in any case.

Disclaimer - This book was given by the author, narrator, or publisher at no cost in exchange for an unbiased review.
Karl
This hardcover book is number 14 of 52 copies printed signed by David Bernstein.
Andrew
*** I received this book from the author in exchange of an honest review. ***

The story begins with Dan, father of Cal, determined to make a gift to his son for his academic progress. Together they used to watch a TV series that Dan loved as a child, Blue Demon and therefore he chooses to buy him the action figure.

I find that the story doesn’t causing fear for the atmosphere created, the characters or the supernatural. It’s definitely a raw and brutal story, well written, with violent episodes an
Rachel
This book has a fun premise of a demonic action figure coming to life to avenge those who have been wronged. However, I decided to give the overall story 2 stars because of its execution. The first half of the book seemed clunky to me. During the first half of the book, there is a lot of back-and-forth with the plot to catch the reader up with everything that's happened. I feel like the backstory with the father and the Blue Demon action figure could have happened more quickly. Because the book ...more
Kelly B
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was an "okay" read for me.

The premise is very interesting: an action figure comes to life, and wreaks revenge on anyone who hurts the main character, Cal, if Cal asks it to. This results in several bloody scenes. I felt for Cal, who has more than his fair share of tough times.

I personally didn't find the book scary. There is a bit of gore, but nothing extreme. For some reason, I just didn't ever connect with this book. It's short, and to me read more like a short story than a novel.
The Grim Reader
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
‘Blue Demon’ is another winner for writer David Bernstein and definitely my favourite novella from him that I have read thus far. The story starts off with young Cal, a boy who loses his father in a car accident. His old man is trying to secure him a pricey action figure (the Blue Demon) but becomes involved in an accident with a character that plays a large part in the rest of the story. The bad news for young Cal doesn’t stop there! He then finds that he has a malignant tumour in his foot (whi ...more
Joshua Polk
2.5 stars.

This book was an extremely quick, but entertaining read. The author did not break any new ground in the horror genre, but I had some fun with the story.

Suggestions for the author: I would have liked to see a relationship develop between the demon and its ward. The evolution of Cal's use of the demon could have taken some more sinister turns, but the author dropped the story a little too soon to draw out any surprises from Cal. For a short story, the premise and execution of this book
Troy
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I received a review copy of this book for an honest review (spoiler-free).

Blue Demon is a horror novella about the Langston family--Dan, Jackie and Cal--and their shocking story of unimaginative suffering, familial love, and vengeance.

Gory and thrilling at times, heartbreaking and moving at others. Solid character development and well-paced writing rolled into a unique story. This is the first book I've read by David Bernstein, and I'm excited to have discovered a new author I enjoy reading.

Reco
JaeRavenClaw
A good quick gory read. Bernstein delivers a horror short that one could see being fan-made on Youtube with Blue Demon, a story about a family visited by misfortune, but with the "assistance" of Blue Demon, a cartoon and possible legend turned collectible figure, sees vigilante/executioner-type justice done to those who have wronged them. Perhaps there will be a Blue Demon Returns as Bernstein left the door pretty wide open for a sequel. I can dig it.
Josen
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-own
At less than 150 pages this is probably one of the shortest books I've ever read. In a nutshell, it's about an action figure, the Blue Demon, that comes to life and kills. I have never liked dolls and this just confirms it. Lol! I thought the story was good and definitely graphic. Even though it was short it was good enough to keep me interested. My only critique at this point is that I probably would've like it to be much longer. I feel like it was a good start to something that could've been b ...more
Angela Crawford
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this book for review purposes as part of the Blue Demon Publicity Tour hosted by the always awesome Erin Al-Mehairi. This is in no way reflected in my opinion of this novella. I did not receive any form of compensation for my review. Follow along the publicity tour with these hashtags: #BlueDemon, #SinisterGrinPress

Blue Demon is an emotional horror story that I didn't want to put down. Cal Langston has a happy family, until a series of horrific tragedies destroys it. He find
Eddie Generous
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Unnerving Magazine Review
Blue Demon opens to a man looking to reward his son’s positive turnaround at school. It’s a bit dull and mundane. The man is an everyday kind of fella and is on the hunt for a rare toy, he nostalgic, he’s loving, he’s a little boring, and… Hey now! And by design are we jarred from the simple calm instill by David Bernstein. Things roll out and begin on a similar path, slowing and drawing the reader in and then bam!
Ho! Get on the good foot-ah, the good foot!
Blue Demon is
Cats of Ulthar February Weird Fiction
Review: BLUE DEMON by David Bernstein

Who doesn't want justice served? Who doesn't think bullies, rapists, and murderers should be stopped, unable to commit further offenses?

BLUE DEMON is a story of justice taken to an extreme; of justice mutating into vengeance, of "an eye for an eye" doubled, even tripled. It's also the story of family strength, of loyalty, compassion, and love. The many tragedies that befall Dan, Jackie, and their son Cal are inexcusable and could have been avoidable (not by t
Robin Lee
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This my first time ever reading anything by author David Bernstein and it won’t be my last. This is a short novella which is a mix of supernatural/horror. It reminded me of an episode from the “Tales from the Darkside or “Twilight Zone” because I have heard this tale before. Even ourselves has small children calling upon a toy figure or doll to protect us in horrible times. That is what this story is about, except it’s an evil looking, action figure, called the Blue Demon.

Danny Myers and 9-year
Alon
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Sent to review.

This book was decent, and not much more then that for me.
The story was not only pretty predictable, but not too original too. It reminded me of an episode of the teen series "Haunted Hour".

It was written kinda weird, with neglects in the writing in some sentences, and that's without noticing how the grammar was lacking a lot, wasn't clear, and had a few mistakes i noticed that bugged me.

But there were good sides.
The story was a bit scary (not as scary as i like my stories, but sti
Daniel
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, novellas
"Blue Demon" offers an interesting premise with its attempt to fuse horror with a cartoon character/action figure, granting it a rather fresh scenario in a genre that seems to be stuck in the limbo endless repetition and subpar pastiches.

Given this, I was excited and quickly went to read once I received my copy. Unfortunately however the story has some major flaws that prevent it from being anything more than a quick mediocre read:

1. There is a LOT of telling instead of showing which is a) rath
J
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short, which is both a blessing and a curse. Also, there are lots of unanswered questions which I would have loved to see elaborated upon. For what it is, it serves its purpose and I was entertained. David Bernstein is good at skimming boring parts and creating vivid descriptions of both horror and violence. Visceral. I am thankful for the opportunity to read and review his work.
Ken Jensen
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first I've read anything by the author. I was given this book as part of the Horror Aficionado promotional group read. Overall I enjoyed the book. Some of the writing seemed off to me, maybe just not a style I'm used to. I liked the setup of the book and the last half. I felt some of it was a bit slow and repetitive, mostly the mom waiting in the hospital. I would recommend the book though, it's a quick read. A novella is perfect for this. You get enough character development and pl ...more
Mixofsunandcloud
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I received this ebook free for a promotional Group Read

It's a short, fast read. I read it in two sittings. Probably would have been one if I hadn't had to stop and go to work.

The basic premise is a character from an old cartoon show which will come out and avenge the wrongs done those it protects. I haven't decided which of the cartoon characters I watched I would like to do that. Think early '90s. There was some weird stuff. I'm currently leaning towards 'Freakazoid!'.

As I said, it's a short
Adam
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit short. Would have loved for it to be longer. I feel like something was missing. That perhaps there should have been consequences for using Blue Demon. Equivalent exchange or somethijg like it. It a wrapped up a bit too neat and tidy for me as well.
Nate Perrin
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
David Sharp
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As much as it pains me to say this, Blue Demon is not a good book. It isn't even remotely enjoyable. Having been a fan of Bernstein's work for several years now, I can unequivocally say his writing is better than this and I would ask that any person interested in his work start elsewhere.

Blue Demon is a tale that has been told a million times over, as seen in Amicus films and countless other books, movies, and television. When presented with such a heavily used subject, I expected something uni
Andrew Cairns
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this to be a very gripping and twisted tale. It felt like a mixture of Stephen King and Irvine Welsh. Perhaps a little on the short side, I think this could have been developed into a longer book, by filling out the characters a bit more, notably the villains. Overall though a good modern horror story.
Douglas Castagna
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just left with one question. Where can I get Blue Demon on DVD? Loved the premise and actually wish this was a real show. Loved the action and the graphic scenes in this short and nasty novella from Bernstein who never disappoints.
“She knew that after a person’s anxiety doorway was opened, that it was impossible to fully close again. The taxing condition could rear its ugly head at any time, and Jackie wanted to be prepared.” 0 likes