Start by marking “Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!” as Want to Read:
Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!

Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!

(Boy, Were We Wrong #2)

Some people used to think that Earth was smack-dab in the middle of the universe, with all the stars and planets held in the sky by giant glass balls. Boy, were they wrong! In this follow-up to the award-winning Boy, Were We Wrong About Dinosaurs!, Kathleen Kudlinski and John Rocco look at the mistakes, mishaps, and creativity that are part of scientific discovery. From ...more
Published September 18th 2008 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!

Start your review of Boy, Were We Wrong About the Solar System!
Abigail
Nov 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Not So Much...
After reading and greatly enjoying Kathleen V. Kudlinski's Boy, Were We Wrong About Dinosaurs! , which set out some of the ways in which earlier generations of scientists and thinkers got it wrong, when it came to prehistoric life, I immediately added this follow-up title to my to-be-read shelf. A general overview of the progression of astronomical knowledge, from the days when people believed the earth was flat to the time when they knew better, from their belief that the earth was at the ...more
Dolly
Feb 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful book that explains a lot about space and our solar system, but has a very simple narrative that doesn't go overboard with information and details. I love that it shows how we've discovered how flawed our ancestors' hypotheses were throughout history and how someday our decendents will look back and laugh at how flawed our ideas are. The illustrations are fun and really help convey the magic and mystery that is our solar system.
Rebecca Caufman
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the fact that it showed how as scientists learned more they CHANGED their views. I wish it would have used more names than just calling people scientists. I was happy to find that they did use the scientist names at the end on the timeline.
D.L.
Mar 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Full of interesting facts, though some definitely above the level of my four year old. He still snorted every time the line, "Boy, were we wrong!" was read. Laugh out loud fun.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Genre: Non-Fiction (Astronomy)

Summary: The author tells the story of how Earthlings (like you and me) discovered and learned about how our solar system works. She starts with how people thought that the sun and moon moved around the Earth and ends with the fact that we will continue to learn new things about our solar system. The author explains how people discovered different things about the solar system (like how they discovered that planets were different than stars, and how they discovered
Diana
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: space-books
The author tells the story of how people discovered and learned how the solar system works. She starts with how people thought that the sun and moon moved around the Earth, how the different people in history learned bout the solar system, gravity, and the discovery of the planets. The book concludes with the author saying that we will keep learning about the solar system as time moves forward. I like the fact that this book takes a difficult context and creates an interesting story that recites ...more
Alice
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked this book for my 6 & 7 year olds who are learning about astronomy. I like the point that scientists make mistakes and that we are always learning new things and improving our understanding of the world. My only complaint is that it doesn't give important names. It says "one man" and "another astronomer" and "a digital telescope." Even at a young age, I'd rather them hear "Copernicus" "Galileo" and "Hubble Telescope." There is a timeline at the end, but I didn't see it until I ...more
Heather
Jul 20, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a fun and informative book about the evolution of the theories regarding the solar system. The text is written in a sans serif font, which assists with ease of reading, and the vocabulary is easy for young readers/listeners to understand. The illustrations, beautifully drawn by award winning artist John Rocco, beautifully reinforce the text and add interest for the readers. Adding value to the book is the last page, which contains a time line, along with a short list of resources that ...more
ABC
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a great book, chockful of information. It almost has a little too much info and can be a little confusing. I found myself explaining things using my own words. For example, the first page shows ship sailing off a flat earth-but it doesn't really explain this. So I asked my son about it and told him they used to think the earth was flat and now we know it is round. (Although later in the book, it says the Ancient Greeks knew the earth was round because they could see its shadow against ...more
Dawn
Jun 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 5 - 7
Shelves: childrens
Nice little introductory picture book about how much science has been wrong about our solar system. Great for kindergarten age group, for kids that have some knowledge of our solar system. My 6yo got a kick out of some of the ideas we used to have and seemed fascinated. My 3yo wasn't interested in the story but seemed to like the illustrations and kept trying to interrupt to ask questions about the pictures.
Kay
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great kid book about the history of astronomers. Loved the premise (implied by the title) and even how the author points out at the end that one day we'll look back and know that we were wrong about the things we now 'know' about the universe. Great 'living book' about science. Would even be fun to use with older students who have learned about Galileo, Corpernicus, and Newton to see if they could identify the unnamed characters as they appear in the book.
Ashlyn
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I read this with a second grade girl and a kindergarten boy. The story was nice because it gave the history about the solar system, however, the book seemed kind of long and lost both of their interest part way through. I ended up having to read half of the book to them because they thought it was too long to read.
Paige
Nov 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a good book that has a lot of good information about the Solar System that children will be learning about in elementary school. It would be good to use in a classroom to teach about the Solar system because it gives tons of information but does not give too much as to where it would be boring for the students to read.
Ms. B
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, nonfiction, picture
Four years before he won a Caldecott Honor for Blackout in 2012, John Rocco illustrated this book. A well-written book that shows how science changes and evolves as new discoveries are made. A good introduction to the solar system. We might laugh at what they thought in the past, yet future generations will probably be laughing at us.
N
Apr 22, 2009 rated it liked it
A brief history of scientific findings about space, and their respective refutations.

It was interesting for the first few pages, but I started nodding off there towards the middle notwithstanding the humourous illustrations.
Zonia
Apr 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-school
Great book to use when talking about the theories that we have found false about the solar system. Ends with a discussion about what theories might change in the future. Last page has a Solar System Discovery timeline.
Darcie Caswell
Great for early elementary, presents the history of the understanding of space as well as recent exploration and findings in a story format, which is more engaging for some children than the books which focus on the facts of the planets.
Michele Knott
Love seeing how the author show that our thinking is always changing as we learn new information.
Danica Midlil
This book did the opposite of name dropping. It kept talking about what scientists in history had discovered but never mentioned their Names!! Totally annoying.
Mandy
Oct 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
Very basic overview of the discoveries about our solar system. Brief timeline and short list of resources.
Mary Lee
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Must-read for 5th grade science!
Andrea
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book makes the history of scientific progress in the field of astronomy accessible to little kids.
Jaimee
Mar 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
For an non-fiction picture book it is really good. It goes through the history of Astronomy and explains the theory clearly. I really liked this book but I'm also a bit of a science nerd.
Kevin
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful illustrations. Great book for kids!
Kate Hastings
Nov 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-3 space science
A brief history of man's views about the solar system and how new equipment and research constantly leads us to learn new things and change our beliefs.
Morgan Groth
Sep 24, 2016 added it
Shelves: aims, science
Great book to use at the beginning of the year to show students that making a mistake is okay. Also good to use to introduce the solar system.
Kathleen
Julian
Dec 24, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Air Is All Around You
  • Is There Life in Outer Space? (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science, Stage 1)
  • On the Moon
  • Peppa Pig: Stars
  • Floating in Space
  • شارع الأميرات
  • The Knight Who Said "No!"
  • Just Because
  • Strictly No Elephants
  • Looking for Yesterday
  • I Love My Glam-Ma!
  • Three Billy-Goats
  • We Completely Must Go to London (Charlie and Lola)

Kathleen Kudlinski is the author of 40 children’s books. Her works range from picture books to the YA level and include natural history, biographies and historical novels.
When not writing, she is a popular speaker and writing instructor. Building on a BS in Biology and six years of classroom teaching experience, Kathleen later trained as a “Master Teaching Artist” with the Connecticut Commission

Boy, Were We Wrong (4 books)
  • Boy, Were  We Wrong About Dinosaurs!
  • Boy, Were We Wrong About the Weather!
  • Boy, Were We Wrong About the Human Body!