Start by marking “Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)” as Want to Read:
Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)

Terminal Alliance

(Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse #1)

In his hilarious new sci-fi series, Jim C. Hines introduces the unlikely heroes that may just save the galaxy: a crew of space janitors.

The Krakau came to Earth to invite humanity into a growing alliance of sentient species. However, they happened to arrive after a mutated plague wiped out half the planet, turned the rest into shambling, near-unstoppable animals, and basic
Published November 7th 2017 by DAW

To ask other readers questions about Terminal Alliance, please sign up.
Roberta I was just going to say I didn't have any problem ... but then I noticed that you're in Australia so you're ordering from a different version of Amazo…moreI was just going to say I didn't have any problem ... but then I noticed that you're in Australia so you're ordering from a different version of Amazon. (less)

Start your review of Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)
Phrynne
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5000-2019
This author's Magic ex Libris series is one of my favourite series ever so it was time for me to explore his other books and see if they are as good. In Terminal Alliance Hines is reaching out into Space Opera and he does it in style.

I just love this man's imagination! Humans are scarce now after the Apocalypse and cured, non feral ones are even rarer. They are employed by the Krakau in necessary jobs, thus Mops is in charge of a team of space janitors who get to do some really unpleasant tasks
Carolyn
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, sf, humour
Centuries in the future humans have survived the apocalypse but succumbed to a disease that turned them into feral zombie-like creatures that eat anything including the alien Krakau diplomats who arrived on Earth to make peace with them. Eventually the Krakau found a way to cure the humans, rescuing several thousand to train as soldiers and support staff for their battleships. Marian 'Mops' Adamopoulos is one such human in charge of a sanitation and hygiene crew who look after maintenance and pl ...more
Sherwood Smith
This is my favorite Jim Hines book to date.

His trademark sense of humor puts a janitorial crew aboard a cruiser in the middle of a mystery that turns into a plot that reveals far wider significance than anyone in this fascinating universe could conceive.

Basically, Earth's population was zombified, nearly obliterating itself before it was rescued by the Krakau, who managed to keep ten thousand humans alive. As humans are hardy and eat pretty much anything, they are useful for as a combination doc
Beth
A virus has decimated earth, leaving the humans mindless beast. Magnanimously, an alien race takes curing humans on, bringing them back to their previously cogitate being. Putting them in janitorial positions among their race on a starship. When the starship is attacked, it leaves the humans in charge, where they soon discover that the history they were told was not all they were lead to believe.

Lots of antic, humor and action make this a fast-paced entertaining romp through the galaxies.

Termina
Christine
I am the type of person who wonders where the bath rooms are on the Enterprise and the Death Star. Sure, the Falcon has neat hiding holes, but how are the toilet systems? Does the head have a seat beat? And how did Luke go to the bathroom on his way to Cloud City or wherever? Does the transporter take care of bodily functions?

In part this is curiosity, in part this is because I would be the one losing her lunch in the bathroom, so I really want to know.

Hines’ latest book is about those on suc
Lindsay
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Due to a self-inflicted bio-engineered plague, humanity has suffered a devastating regression to become non-sentient savages barely surviving in the ruins of our world. That's when the Krakau showed up and began the project to rehabilitate humanity, recreating our language and history from books in the ruins. Now there's 10,000 uplifted humans who the Krakau have put to work in the Earth Mercenary Corps and who act as shock troops for the Krakau Alliance. After all, humans are nearly unkillable, ...more
Catherine Schaff-Stump
The author was kind enough to send me an early review ARC, which I appreciate a great deal. I have read all of Hines's books, and the reason this book gets five stars from me is it is the author's most ambitious project to date.

Don't get me wrong. Hines is one of the most versatile authors working in speculative fiction today, and I love that he ranges far and wide in his take on the speculative. Terminal Alliance has so many moving parts. It makes the philosophical statements he makes in his Go
Juli
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A plague on Earth killed most of humanity, leaving the survivors feral. Feral humans are incredibly dangerous. An Alien species, the Krakau, had planned to invite humanity to join an alliance with other sentient alien species. But after the plague decimated Earth, the Krakau decided to save the human race from their new feral existence instead. The Krakau can give humans "rebirth", returning them to normal, but it is rumored that injury or severe stress can sometimes make humans revert to feral ...more
Deborah Blake
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse didn't sound like my kind of thing, to be honest. I read it simply because I love everything else Jim C. Hines has ever written. Well, I started reading it for that reason. I kept reading it because it was ridiculously un-put-downable. Apparently Jim C. Hines can be funny and clever in any genre. This book is like the deranged bastard lovechild of Douglas Adams and Elizabeth Moon. I'm already counting down the days until the sequel.
Leonie
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fun book, and its story is a fresh and original take on what could have been a real trope. The characters were marvellous, particularly 'Mops' and 'Kumar' and I loved the names that Jim Hines popped into the story at every opportunity.

There are all kinds of subtle themes running through the story, and the humour made me laugh out loud at times. I'm really looking forward to the next one.
Kara Babcock
Jim C. Hines has been on my radar for a long time, but I haven’t actually read any of his books until now! When I saw this on NetGalley, I was intrigued. I know Hines mostly as a fantasy writer, so I was curious to see how his science fiction would be. Turns out Hines’ Terminal Alliance reminds me a lot of John Scalzi’s Old Man’s War universe.

Side note: This book was published in early November, but I was only approved towards the end of last month.

Terminal Alliance is set in a future where
Jamesboggie
The moment I saw the cover of Terminal Alliance, I was sold. That gorgeous image of janitors in a hero pose on a space rock was irresistible. I was so down for space janitors. The actual book, however, did not quite match my mental image. And there was lots of room for nitpicking for anyone so inclined. My review may seem highly critical, but that’s only because I feel it was a good book that could have been great.

Terminal Alliance was not quite the story I had wanted. I really wanted to see wha
Audrey
This was a fun space adventure. Humans on earth have sort of devolved into zombies, so this alien race takes them out a few at a time, cures them, and gives them jobs on their spaceships. On one of these ships, a bio-weapon takes out the command staff and turns most of the humans into zombies. Only the Health and Sanitation crew comes out unscathed, and they take it upon themselves to investigate what happened and cure their crewmates.

It was funny to watch a group of janitors and plumbers learn
Meigan
Space-janitors, aliens, humor, and a plague of apocalyptic proportions? Yes, please. All of the above immediately captured my attention and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on this book.

When the apocalypse hits Earth and decimates much of the population leaving the remaining humans in something of a shambling, zombie-like state, an alien race swoops in to save the day. The Krakau have rebuilt the human race and the language, and now humans are pretty much human once again, only they’re now in sp
Carien
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun
Charles
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Flip, parody of a MIL-SF space opera/zombie apocalypse crossover with a galactic conspiracy lurking for the future series.

My e-book copy was a moderate 360 pages with a 2017 US copyright.

Jim C. Hines is an American writer of fantasy fiction. He has more than ten (10) published novels in several series and stand alone. This is the first book in his Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse Series series. I have not read any of his books in the past.

TL;DR Synopsis

A tongue-in-cheek space opera giving
Blodeuedd Finland
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: humour, sci-fi
Janitors in space, why not, I have seen it before (you have to watch Space Janitors, omg, looove that show).

Humans as always effed up and are now mindless beasts. The planet is kaputt. In comes aliens, saves a few and put them to work. As mercs and as janitors. One of those janitors is Mops, smart, resilient and really good at cleaning. And suddenly she is in charge of a space ship and what the, how does one even steer this thing? Ha, perfect.

I did have issues reading it, but that was ebook issu
Stewart Tame
Sep 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janitors in spaaaaaaaaaace!

So, clearly we’re in science fiction territory. Earth has suffered a plague, reducing humanity to a mindless, feral state. The Krakau worked out a way to restore the intelligence of select humans, allowing them to become useful citizens of the Alliance. Lieutenant Marion “Mops” Adamopoulos is the head of Shipboard Hygiene and Sanitation aboard the Pufferfish, a starship crewed by the usual mix of races. They respond to a distress call, complications ensue, and Mops and
Jeffrey
Jim C. Hines "Terminal Alliance" is a fresh funny take on the classic science fiction trope of smart humans seizing their rightful place in a galactic universe controlled by a higher technologically alien races. Its slightly reminiscent of Andre Norton's "Star Guard", a classic sf novel originally published in 1955, in which Terrans have finally joined a galactic empire but are not allowed by the aliens who control the empire to go to the Stars on their own, but are only used as mercenaries beca ...more
Becca
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, liked-a-lot
A really fun, funny, sci-fi romp. I enjoyed it a lot! It's got a good balance of action and interpersonal character development. It hit the right balance between fluff and heavy plot, and brings the reader along for a fun ride.
Kim
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-me
I vacillate between 3 and 4 stars on this one. I really enjoyed the overall story arc but the humor got tiring at points. As a mom of 4 my quota for poop and butt jokes is filled outside of my recreational reading. I pondered giving up on the book but having read 2 other series by Mr. Hines that I enjoyed, I decided to stick it out. I'm happy I did. It is worth all the poop and butt jokes. I will be reading the next one when it comes along.
Jason Sanford
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Terminal Alliance: Book 1 of the Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse. The novel reads as if The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy & John Scalzi's Old Man's War series conceived an illegitimate child in the washroom of an Imperial Star Destroyer. Funny, exciting, insightful and Jim Hines' best novel to date. Can't wait for the sequel. ...more
Dan
Giving up after 187 pages - this one just couldn't hold my attention. Parts were funny, but most of the jokes felt forced and I didn't care enough about the characters or story to keep going.
However, I do enjoy Hines' Libriomancer books!
Meredith
Funny and fast-paced. I laughed out loud many times. Nicely complex plot with a team of heroic human sanitation workers and multiple alien races with a range of different biological features that added to the fun read. I’ll definitely pick up the next book in the series.
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
When a mysterious contagion turns most of the crew of the EMC Ship Pufferfish into feral zombies and kills the rest, Marion “Mops” Adamopoulos is left in charge of the few survivors. As a lowly human, she doesn’t have much access to the ship, but when Mops realizes that Krakau command intends to euthanize the human crew rather than try to save them, she commandeers the ship with the help of her minimal crew. Soon Mops uncovers a danger so big, it threatens the entire Krakau alliance, and she is ...more
Donna
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marion "Mops" Adamopoulus and her meager crew of spaceship janitors are the only ones left to save the ship after a disease that makes humans feral sweeps the rest of the crew.

This was fun! I was wary going into this because sometimes my sense of humor doesn't line up with 'humorous' books. This story had me grinning several times. Mops is an excellent character - she's top-notch at what she does and is able to broaden this custodial outlook on life to bigger problems like an alien attack on th
Vigasia
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
Starting this book I thought it's going to be a zombia apocalypse in space. And it was, though not only that. It is a fun, full of action space opera, great for fans of The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet or A Big Ship at The Edge of the Universe. I really liked that humans were portrayed here as hard to kill, it's often rather opposirte in space books. Also, very likable crew of sanitation workers.
Lexi
Oct 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
A delightful and humorous book about somewhat incompetent space janitors trying to save the human and other races. I enjoyed that the aliens were truly alien lifeforms and not just built on a humanoid form. The commentary on human culture including literature was amusing.
C. S.
Apr 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, audio
I'm flip-flopping between a 3 and a 4 here. This was a solid, enjoyable story, and I will be going on to the sequel. But not urgently, I wasn't left with the feeling if needing the sequel right this very minute. would definitely recommend for some light, entertaining reading.
Carolyn F.
Audiobook

Janitors in space - who would have thought their job would be the least bit interesting. But it is. Great book. Can't wait to read the next in the series.
My Book Review 1 8 Nov 06, 2017 11:17AM

• All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Endurance: The Complete Series
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space #1)
  • Stars Beyond
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Stars Uncharted
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Driving the Deep (Finder Chronicles, #2)
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Locked Tomb #1)
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Paladin's Grace
  • Artificial Condition (The Murderbot Diaries, #2)
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
Jim C. Hines is the author of the Magic ex Libris series, the Princess series of fairy tale retellings, the humorous Goblin Quest trilogy, and the Fable Legends tie-in Blood of Heroes. His latest novel is Terminal Uprising, book two in the humorous science fiction Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse trilogy. He’s an active blogger, and won the 2012 Hugo Award for Best Fan Writer. Jim lives in Michigan ...more

Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse (2 books)
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)

News & Interviews

“Most Krakau massed less than the average human. They were roughly tube-shaped, with nine tentacles—arms—limbs?” 0 likes
“Good.” Mops pulled out her cutting torch and brought the triangular flame to the tube leading from the tank through the ceiling. It was only half a meter in diameter, which meant she’d have to leave her equipment harness behind and crawl like a Glacidae, but she should be able to make it. Air sighed out from the cut, making the edges glow briefly orange. The emergency shutoff valve in the tank clunked automatically as it registered a leak. Good to know the mechanical safeguards were working, even if the electronics were dead. It took ten minutes to cut a vertical hole wide enough for her to squeeze inside.” 0 likes