Start by marking “Blackthorne (The Malorum Gates #2)” as Want to Read:
Blackthorne (The Malorum Gates #2)

Blackthorne

(The Malorum Gates #2)

In this sweeping sequel to the critically acclaimed Cold Iron—which NPR Books raved, “reminded me, pleasurably, of Robin Hobb’s Assassin’s Apprentice series”—the Kingdom of Eledore has fallen and Nel and Suvi lead a diaspora of their people to safety, but the magic that has kept the demon forces away is dwindling, and they must find a new way to protect themselves.

The Acra
Published August 8th 2017 by Saga Press

To ask other readers questions about Blackthorne, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blackthorne

Baal Of
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
I have been friends with Stina for well over 20 years so there is no way my opinions on this book can be taken as objective in any way. I've played in a D&D campaign that she ran based in this world. I've read an early version of this novel something like 10 years ago. There is a minor character in this book named after me. I am biased as all hell.
So anyway, this book is great. I read 100 pages the first night I cracked it open, and read no less than 100 pages a night from that point on. The
Greg
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed the first book Cold Iron. However I found this one a much more difficult read. I felt less connected to the characters and seemed to care less about what happened to them.

For some reason I found the politics and human/not human conflicts more disjointed and confusing than the first book.

I will most likely continue with the series but I am am a bit disappointed with this book.
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Earlier this year, I was looking for a proper fantasy book, and ended up picking up 'Cold Iron'. And I ADORED it. Honestly, I loved the plot, the characters, the writing...
Upon finishing the book, I immediately raced to my nearest bookseller and asked them when the sequel would be out, and, oh my god, it was going to be out in less than a month! Imagine my excitement!
Sadly, lots of stuff happened since then (including moving to two different countries), and even though I got the book the day i
Lydia
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy, urban fantasy
I was surprised by how much I liked this book. I had read the first one but I remember liking it fine, but not much of the plot. Leicht's world building is thorough but not overbearing. The characters are diverse in a way that feels grounded in reality. Race, gender, sexuality, ability, and motivation. There were a couple things I personally found annoying but they are small and nit-picky.

If you like fantasy of the urban other world with a 17/1800s feel (NOT STEAMPUNK THANK GOD!) then this book
Maria
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I wish this book did not suffer from middle-of-the-series-itus. I loved Cold Iron, but this sequel lacks focus. As is typical of contemporary, fat-fantasy novels, it jumps from character to character, never giving you any satisfying depth. Still, I really like certain characters—Nels and Suvi return from the first book, along with the new title character Blackthorne. I just wish the plot had been tighter and more coherent.
Ry Herman
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, war-stories
This book would have been a lot better if it had been significantly shorter. It was trying to achieve far too much at once, and as a result lacked both focus and depth. There were entire subplots and at least one fairly major character which seemed to be relatively pointless. It wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't nearly as good as Stina Leicht's other books, including the book that preceded this one in the series.
Alison Culhane
Jul 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: print-owned
Book 2 in a series, I was excited to continue reading this series. While Nels and Suvi are still main characters, a few new POV’s were added including Blackthorne and Drake. We get to see more of the human side of this world and the Eledoreans try to pick up the pieces of their country. Blackthorne is an interesting character and I enjoyed his arc. Drake on the other hand, not a fan. I will say the plot is a bit meandering in this series (I mean, each book is like 700 pages) and several storylin ...more
Gary
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written and a good story, but I had a hard time getting through it. Read several other books between chapters in this one, and that's unusual for me. The pace felt off, and the two distinct storylines rarely meshed.
Just_ann_now
This is secondary-world military fantasy, with complex and detailed worldbuilding. The titular is an escaped killing machine, now trying to decide how much of his psychological indoctrination he can discard, and what he will replace it with. It's the second part of a series, so I'm not sure how much of it would be comprehensible without the first book (Cold Iron), but if you've got the time and inclination for a couple big meaty books, these would be a good choice.
Evan Walker
Jan 26, 2018
Sima
Aug 12, 2017
Mickael
rated it did not like it
Sep 04, 2018
Natalie
May 08, 2018 marked it as did-not-finish
I lost most motivation to read the rest of book 2. I really liked this series, but it seems it is on hiatus. As per the author's blog, there is no 3rd book in the foreseeable future.

Not rated
Saq
Jul 06, 2018
Shivendra
Aug 22, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Deathblade
  • King's Crown (Chronicles of the Dragon-Bound #3)
  • The Girl on the Liar's Throne (Erebus Sequence, #3)
  • The Unbound Empire (Swords and Fire #3)
  • Dead to Rites (Mick Oberon, #3)
  • An Illusion of Thieves (Chimera, #1)
  • Lady's Pursuit (Knight & Rogue, #6)
  • Ward Against Disaster (Chronicles of a Reluctant Necromancer #3)
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)
  • Echoes of Understorey (Titan's Forest, #2)
  • Los Nefilim (Los Nefilim #1-3)
  • A Mage's Power (Journey to Chaos, #1)
  • Dead Empire (Black Wolves, #2)
  • Kingshold (The Wildfire Cycle #1)
  • The Broken Heavens (Worldbreaker Saga, #3)
  • Covenant (Hythrun Chronicles: War of the Gods, #3)
  • The Fall of the Dagger (The Forsaken Lands, #3)
  • The Bones of the Earth (Bound Gods #2)

The Malorum Gates (2 books)
  • Cold Iron (The Malorum Gates #1)
“Acrasian is spoken because the Acrasian speakers outnumber Eledorean speakers when you and your troops aren’t residing here. It’s merely a natural result of a cultural difference in the population of refugees versus New Eledore’s army—” “I didn’t say it was planned,” Nels said. “What I am saying is that we must make active decisions about what aspects of Old Eledore will thrive in New Eledore. Before the decision is taken from us.” 0 likes
“At its worst, the myth of the one savior is a lie told to the powerless. ‘Be good. Do as you’re told. And someone will come save you from your misery.’ It’s also a story intended to make the oppressors feel good about themselves. It allows them to believe that they have everything not due to an accident of birth but because they are more like that lone savior and more worthy than those who have nothing.” 0 likes