Start by marking “Proper Goodbye” as Want to Read:
Proper Goodbye

Read Book* *Different edition

Proper Goodbye

Beebe Walker’s life changes when she learns about a secret buried in her father’s cemetery. The secret revolves around the burial of a homeless woman and, eventually, draws her home to Larkspur, Michigan, to renew a relationship with her father, Cliff.

Months earlier, Cliff stood back from that sparsely attended funeral, unaware the woman’s passing made him a widower. Clif

Published December 7th 2016 by Black Rose Writing

To ask other readers questions about Proper Goodbye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Proper Goodbye

Judi Easley
First response: This was excellent! I never know what to expect from books that are women's lit rather than romance or mystery or such. I'm never sure what direction it will take. Or if I'll like it. Well, I sure liked this one. I'll have to write a full review in the morning. I always seem to finish a book at bedtime...

My Review:

This is a sequel to Wild Raspberries, though it is a standalone as well. If you read Wild Raspberries, you may remember the grief counselor, Beebe Walker. This book, Pr
Bonnye Reed
GNAB I received a free electronic copy of this Christian novel from Netgalley, Connie Chappell, and Black Rose Writing in exchange for an honest review. Thank you all, for sharing your hard work with me.

This is an interesting novel, a fast read, and one that provokes mind games. Is Beebe's withdrawal from the church family a loss of faith, just a hiatus, or a necessary time out while she learns to handle the problems associated with her mother's long disappearance? Will she, like her father, win
LaDonna Lowe
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book that is well written and provides a great story with a secret to be solved in a typical small town in the Midwest. What a great idea to expand on the life of Beebe Walker, a minister and grief counselor that was introduced in the authors' first novel "Wild Raspberries". Instead of helping others, Beebe must now help herself and her father deal with loss, anger, heartbreak and mend their difficult relationship. I come from a small town and I find the characters (including ...more
Richelle
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book I have read by this author and I have enjoyed them both.

What I enjoyed the most about this book was the realism.  The characters and plot were realistic and I found myself sensing the emotions as I travelled through the pages.  As Bebee lost her position in the church and went though her own religious trials, I could feel her grief and the questioning of her choice of employment in the first instance.  Then she found out about the loss of her mother, whom had many issue
R J Mckay
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I received a copy of this book from Goodreads in exchange for a review.

When Beebe Walker returns home, it is to confront the ghosts of the past. It is also to help her Father to move on, but she didn’t know this when she returns to live with her Father in his little care-taker cottage on the edge of the town’s cemetery.

This story is about facing your emotions and finding a way to work through them. It’s about human nature and real emotion. It holds a mirror up to ourselves and dares us to look
Denise Levendoski
Thank you to Connie Chappell and Goodreads.com I won this book in a Giveaway.

Very original story, happiness and heartbreak included. This book is a "everyone comes into your life for a reason" and makes you truly ache for these characters that are all bound by one woman. One person can touch so many lives in such profoundly different ways.
Debbie Berris
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book

I loved this book about living and dying, about families and communities, about how we take care of our own. This was an in-depth and very human look at grief without being maudlin, and how the memories we keep give meaning to our living.
Wendy A. Webber
Well written novel, dragged quite a bit in the middle to late stages, I was reading on Kindle and kept checking how far until the end. But well developed characters and an interesting and emotionally complex story about who family really are to us when we don't know their full story.
Cathy  Slaubaugh
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. What a wonderful coming together of family, strangers & community.
Jackie
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My cousin is a amazing writer. Her books just get better and better.
Samantha
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this book from the Goodreads giveaway program. I found this book a bit boring at times as well as a bit depressing.
Kelly
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good Solid Story

Greatly written. Took a bit yo get into. Enjoyed it and freely it was very solidly written. I would recommend.
Kameron
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(review request submitted by the author for an honest critique)

Death, no matter how it happens, takes a toll on the living. It can bring people together or tear them apart. In the case of Abigail (also known as Terri), it helped reunite a father and daughter. Two people who were harboring a lot of anger and hurt, all centering around the abandonment of a wife and mother.

Abigail/Terri, like most of us, made some bad decisions in her life. In her case, she lost her family, job, respect, and her b
Joyce
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 Stars

This book is just okay.

It didn’t strike me as endearing or deeply moving. I got a little bored with it early on and it seemed to be a job just to get through the rest of the book. It really didn’t grab my attention. Just not for me, I guess.

Thanking Netgalley and Black Rose Writing for allowing me the opportunity to read this novel.
Shannon Whorton
Mar 19, 2017
Irene Frances Olson
I enjoyed this book very much. I admit, I purchased it because I wanted to see the types of books my new publisher, Black Rose Writing, took on and I wanted to see how their formatting compared to other publishers. Well, right from the start, I was impressed on all levels.

It's been awhile since I was grabbed by a story line right from the first page, but that did in deed occur with Proper Goodbye. The story and plot will appeal to both male and female readers. They will recognize the different
Sha Kirk
unknown
Oct 04, 2018
Karen
Apr 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Goodreads for the opportunity to read and review this book. This was a different type story for me to read, the characters were deep, they had their own flaws, but they were all good hearted, with the desire to help people. This was a very thought provoking book, with many deep hidden lessons of true love and forgiveness. I enjoyed this book and would reccomend it.
Sandy
Georgia Bridgman
Dec 29, 2018
Kim Cabrera
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Proper Goodbye is a poignant story of love and loss. A mother mysteriously disappears and the family left behind spends years wondering what happened. Resolution comes from an unlikely source.

Abigail Walker is mother to a nine-year old daughter, Beebe. Her husband works in a cemetery. Abigail becomes injured in an accident and becomes addicted to painkillers. Working as a nurse in the nearby hospital, she becomes the subject of a scandal when she is caught stealing drugs. She leaves town, never
Jan
Rhonda
Sandra Beck
Stacia Chappell
« previous 1 3 next »
Connie Chappell is a bestselling author of both literary fiction and the Wrenn Grayson Mystery series. The series titles are Deadly Homecoming at Rosemont, Designs on Ivy’s Locket, and most recently released, Lily White Lie. Designs on Ivy's Locket is the Silver Medalist in the Readers' Favorite 2018 International Book Awards Contest for Fiction-Mystery-General.

Wrenn Grayson is a historian-for-hir