Start by marking “The Hope of Elantris (Elantris, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Hope of Elantris (Elantris, #1.5)

The Hope of Elantris

(Elantris #1.5)

This version is out of print. The story is now available in the Arcanum Unbounded collection.

The following is a short story I wrote in the Elantris world back in January of 2006. At that point, Elantris had only been out in stores for about seven or eight months, but I actually hadn't written anything new on the story or world since 2000, when I'd finished the first draft of th/>The
Kindle Edition
Published 2006 by Brandon Sanderson

Start your review of The Hope of Elantris (Elantris, #1.5)
Petrik
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mini review (I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

The Hope of Elantris is a really short story that took place straight and during the climax of Elantris. It’s only 25 pages and it featured the main character, Matisse, who had a role to take care of the children in the city of New Elantris. Overall, a good short story but this 10-15 minutes read doesn’t provide anything new to the main story of Elantris itself other than the first few and last paragraph.

This novella is more of a tribu
Kogiopsis
Yeah, so sue me. I thought it was sweet. Unpolished, but sweet, and a good hole to fill in the story. I was actually wondering about how the finale went on the inside, so it was nice to have this question answered. And the annotation.... SQUEEEEEEEE. Brandon Sanderson is slowly becoming my antidote to a bad day. The way he writes, the way he talks about writing, the way he interacts with fans - it makes me love the world again, even when I've spent my most recent classes learning about terribly ...more
Markus
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cosmere, fantasy
I almost feel guilty for criticising this story after reading Sanderson's postscript, including the reason for writing it in the first place. Apparently on a date with his eventual wife, Sanderson learned that one of her students had written a book report about Elantris. That the guy would then go on to write a short story dedicated to said student set in the same universe, shows yet again that he is a thoughtful writer who cares about those who read his work.

That being said, the story in its
Scott  Hitchcock
Read in Arcanum Unbounded.

Good story of what was happening back in Elantris while the main characters were fighting their climax in the main book.
Holden Johnson
A lovely, touching story of a woman who saved all the children. Nothing special, but good just the same.
Tommye Turner
I read this in the collection, 'Arcanum Unbounded'.

The postscript to this short story is beautiful - don't skip it. Sanderson's heart is the size of his cosmere - every writer should aspire to be this amazing with their fans. Anyway, I'll stop gushing!

This story is a nice little snippet into the lives of those left in Elantris when the fighting at the end of the book, 'Elantris', begins and ends. I won't give you any spoilers for Elantris or this short story, don't worry!

Claudia
A very short story, told by Ashe, about the Elantrian children and the ones who took care of them. To be read after Elantris.

It can be found here: http://brandonsanderson.com/Elantris-...
Doug
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A 20-page lackluster addition to the wonderful Elantris.

The Hope of Elantris is a (very) short story that works as a deleted scene of Elantris. The story is framed so that it takes place an undisclosed amount of time after Elantris, but one character is telling another the character the story-within-a-story, such that only about three paragraphs take place after the main story ended. The real story here is one that takes place at the same time as the climax of that book, and it follows a character we've never heard about./>The
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
(view spoiler)

Serinin devamı için merakla beklerken bu ufacık kısım tabii ki de kesmedi.

Elantris de sular durulmuyor, bizde öyle bekliyoruz n'olsun işte. :(
Avanti Mukhopadhaya
Hope of Elantris is a quick read, which lets us know of what went on behind the walls of Elantris during the final battle. It's remarkable to see an author care enough about his readers and his worlds to fill these little, seemingly unimportant, gaps.
Veronica Morfi
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute little story. We got to know what Ash was doing during the last chapters of Elantris. Also got a glimpse into what might come. I know it might be a few years before the next book is published but I am glad there are so many more worlds and stories by Sanderson to come.
Choko
*** 3 ***

This story is a very, very short 25 page one, is also from the World of Elantris and is called "The Hope of Elantris". It has some spoilers for the Elantris main book, but it is almost impossible to read and understand outside of the book's context. The main character is Matisse, who is charged with taking care of the children in the City of New Elantris while they are under siege. Nothing much new, just a slice of someone's life at that time. Not essential to the overall arc. Jus
Becky
3.5 Stars

This was a nice short story that filled in one of the gaps that I had wondered about (but dismissed) after reading Elantris.

This story centers around the children of Elantris during the Dakhor invasion. I liked the characters in this one, and thought that the action scenes were better done here than in the book - maybe because there's just less going on in this story due to its smaller range of focus.

In the afterword, Brandon Sanderson mentioned that he added a new charact
Rhi
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Short, sweet, and fills in a gap in the full-scale plot that had been missing before ... and such a GREAT backstory! You can find "The Hope of Elantris" on Brandon Sanderson's website, and I definitely suggest reading it after Elantris itself. The characters, setting, and situation just wouldn't make sense without the broader story. Also, don't miss reading the annotation Sanderson includes about how and why he came to pen this addendum. It all came about in the midst of working on the original Mistborn books a ...more
Tim
Warning: You must have read Elantris: Definitive Tenth Anniversary Edition first. This little story, for free on Sanderson's website (click here), reads like a left-out chapter. It takes place in the last moments of the final battle for survival between the Elantrians and the demons of Dilaf.

All in all, a very nice story. It doesn't really add anything, just offers a glimpse of what was going on back in Elantris
daisy
Oct 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't bad, but wasn't especially good either. Didn't really add all anything new to Elantris, a few lines here and there aside. It was just a quick, okay read.

However, reading the post-script made it seem a lot more sweet - I highly recommend reading it after you finish this little novella!

I know it's most likely just a coincidence (for once!), but the mention of Ati made me !!! hahaha
Artemas
Meh. Brandon Sanderson receives great reviews all of the time, but this story felt incredibly dull and almost pointless. Furthermore, it felt like the entire process for this story was comprised of Sanderson sitting down, thinking of an idea, and writing the story...all in less than an hour. The ending of Elantris left me wanting more to be added to the story. Sadly, this was not it.
Alexa
Jun 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Sweet short story set during the events at the end of Elantris. Great for getting a more in depth view of what was happening inside the city.
oshizu
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3-2019-read-in
A short story by Brandon Sanderson that's based in his Elantris world.
The story's real life backstory might be longer than the book itself.
sofia (sam willows)
this was sweet. i wish we got to know more of the other people in elantris, like matisse.
Syd the Kid
Sweet and short addition to the main novel "Elantris". You do not need to read this because it doesn't add anything but it's free to read on Sanderson's site so why not? :)
Arif
Apr 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun short (very short!). Nice to read another perspective of the Elantris climax. Sanderson's postscript makes it a little more special.
Kristalia
Final rating: 3/5 stars

This is a short story set during and after the last few chapters of Elantris. It is recommended to be read after reading Elantris, because one many find to be completely at loss at what is going on. The story behind the creaton of the short story was also cute and it was inspiring. It can be read online on Sanderson's site and it's worth doing it.

Even though it was short, I enjoyed looking at things from different character's POV about the life in Elantris and especially
Denisse
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Everyone has a job."

I was going to give it just 3 stars but it is free in the author's web page, and I like gifts :D
It feels great to go back into the Elantris world.

For anyone who already read Elantris, this short story gives you some extra scenes of the climax. And is very good. Plus; ASHE!

Nothing too important, but good addings :D
Britney (BookDrunkSloth)
This was a very short story about events that occurred during the end of Elantris. I spent literally 15 to 20 minutes reading it. It was a nice little side story about hope and bravery.

FYI it's free to read at brandonsanderson.com.
Dawn
Mar 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2012
Just a quick short story set in the Elantris world. Nothing mind blowing here.. But it did make me want to re-read Elantris. I love me some Sanderson!
Manisha
A short story set in the 'happy moments' after the first book, while reflecting on a hidden moment that occurred during the attack on New Elantris.

The story centers on Matisse, who took up the task of protecting the children. The story was related to Raoden later, by Ashe. It doesn't add anything to the overall story of Elantris, even though it did give us a information regarding something that I, personally, was never curious about. It is a quick read though. And you lose nothing by checking i
Shravanthi
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An emotionally and beautiful short story!
LittleBookDruid
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good, but postscript was what moved me close to tears.
Carrie
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novella
I would like more Elantris please.

• The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • Words of Radiance: The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson -- Sidekick
  • I, Night Angel (Night Angel, #3.5)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • Crossroads of Twilight (Wheel of Time, #10)
  • Royal Assassin (Farseer Trilogy, #2)
  • Assassin's Quest (Farseer Trilogy, #3)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Warrior of the Altaii
  • Winter's Heart (Wheel of Time, #9)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Last Wish (The Witcher, #0.5)
  • Knife of Dreams (Wheel of Time, #11)
  • Red Seas Under Red Skies (Gentleman Bastard, #2)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s Soul, Mistborn: Secret

Elantris (3 books)
  • Elantris (Elantris, #1)
  • Untitled (Elantris, #2)
  • Untitled (Elantris, #3)