Start by marking “A Tramp Abroad” as Want to Read:
A Tramp Abroad

A Tramp Abroad

Twain's abundant humor waxes as freely as ever; this time, however, his amusement bears a more cynical cast, as he regards the grand tourist sights of 'Innocents' through older and more experienced eyes.
Published November 1st 2006 by Echo Library (first published 1880)

Start your review of A Tramp Abroad
Lorenzo Berardi
Aug 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: american, 2011
I bought this book by mistake in one of those charity shops that make any idle and rainy Saturday in Oxford a treasure hunt.
What I thought I had found was actually "Innocents Abroad" by the same Mark Twain, but somehow the word "tramp" was left out of my raptorous glance.

Well, "A Tramp Abroad" revolves around pretty much the same topic of "Innocents Abroad" which is Mr Twain touring Europe proud of being an American but at the same time eager to get all that the Old Continent has to offer to
Hermien
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks, usa
Even after all those years still very amusing.
Calzean
There are some magic chapters in this rambling tale of Twain's rambles in Europe. His restaurant meeting with a young lady who knows they have never met but strings him along as he digs a hole deeper and deeper for himself. His descriptions of the violent German duels was surpassed by his slapstick version of a French duel. His ordering around of his travelling companion. His fondness for retelling unrelated stories or embellishing an event with impossibly unsuitable adjectives, adverbs or ...more
Rob
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First, I'm glad I've already read The Innocents Abroad, or else at some point I'd have little to no idea what Twain is talking about when he refers to incidents on that trip, which happens occasionally. This seems a slightly more 'serious' book than that, too, which shows me some of the changes (not to mention growth) in Twain himself, which adds interest.

Beyond that, there's no easy way to categorize this book: humorous travelogue, social critique of both Europe and the U.S. (in which neither
Lyn Elliott
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I found a 'part 1' on iBooks and read it in about an hour of a 3 hour plane trip. It was fun, made me laugh in parts. Clements was clearly fascinated by the student dueling culture in Heidelberg at the time, observing the rituals with keen interest and some excitement, I suspect. I'm not sure that I'll pursue later parts, but this was perfect in-air reading.
Joselito Honestly and Brilliantly
Funny, but not hilarious. Mostly tongue-in-cheek hyperboles, Mark Twain recounts here his 15-month walking trip through Central Europe and the Alps in 1878-1879. I have only one kind of test for humorous, or supposedly humorous, books: the sound test. Five stars if it made me laugh out loud; four stars if it made me chuckle; three stars if it made me smile; two stars if it just made light up inside; a star if I found it funny without any change in me, or if it wasn't funny at all.

In his
Jenny
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-with-dad
I love Mark Twain, but this is probably my least favorite book of his. There are parts with beautiful descriptions and parts that made me chuckle, but the stories and legends were annoying and felt out of place. My dad and I just wanted it to be over. He kept saying, "I miss Madeleine," referring to L'Engle, whose books we read together just before starting A Tramp Abroad.
I only recommend this if you're a staunch Twain fan. I'm sure there are other humorous "travel" books out there much more
Jesse
Mar 29, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Travellers
This is by far my favorite of Twain's works. When you go to Europe you need this book. "Paris and Venice are the two greatest lies ever told." Brilliant. Cause they are. When you read this you must realize that Twain is a sarcastic American debunking all the European myth and glory. Most of what you know about Europe has been sold as a marketing campaign. Twain realizes that reality lays not in a travel brochure but in the real travel and observation of that place. Excellent.
Patty Simpson
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd give it 3 and 1/2 stars if that was possible.
Barbara
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating, fraught and hilarious. I'm pretty much besotted by that part of the world anyway and I enjoyed travelling back in time. This is the book which contains the famous essay "The Awful German Language" - read it for that alone - and it relates an episode which will put you off forever from attempting to scale the Matterhorn.
Patrick Hadley
Sep 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Twain is absolutely hilarious. His satire is always firmly focused on pretension, and it never misfires. I was laughing out loud throughout the entire book. When there was nobody to humble and no pretension to mock, he could in turn give wonderful descriptions of scenery, peoples, and customs. As imaginative and bitingly hilarious as Swift, but with one foot always firmly on the ground.
M Huv
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Mark Twain's travels through Europe and his sharp commentary on society and culture and relevant AND funny over a century later. My fave book. I lurrved it.
Pam
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Haven’t read a book this humorous in quite a while. Highly enjoyable. Twain probably was a bit of an asshole.
Illiterate
Good fun, but lacking the exuberant sparkle of his earlier travel books.
Eric
Mar 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Mark Twain is considered one of the great American writers of the 19th century, yah yah, you’ve heard it all before. While most people know him from the tales of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, Twain also wrote non-fiction. In “A Tramp Abroad”, Twain writes about his experience travelling through Europe in the 1880s. It’s actually his second trip, the first trip he wrote about in “Innocents Abroad”.

Then an innocent, now a tramp. Nice.

It didn’t take me long to make up my mind, Twain is dope. His
Ryan Milbrath
When I think of Mark Twain I think of my sophomore year English class in High School. We read Huckleberry Finn. In eighth grade I remember reading Tom Sawyer. In both cases I remember the teacher engaging us in lengthy discussions of youth, naiveté, racism, American culture during the 1800’s, and Samuel Clemens own tramp-like background. Ever since those “teachable moments” in literature I wanted to meet this Mr. Twain. He seemed like my kind of person: witty, tongue-in-cheek, mischievous, ...more
Caitlin
Aug 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an enjoyable read but scattered in its organization. Mark Twain is proud of his own wit and sprinkles it all over his descriptions of European culture and landscapes. This book was particularly meaningful for me because I am living in Germany and have had similar experiences as he did well over one-hundred years ago. For example, his descriptions of Heidelberg and its castle ruin are just like my experiences there: the rolling, forested hills above the Necker river; the castle on the ...more
Rob
Aug 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very interesting reading this on the heels of "The Dharma Bums' by Jack Kerouac. There is a key phrase from "A Tramp Abroad", "comparisons are odious" which has always struck me. It appears notably in both of these books. "A Tramp Abroad" is really interesting as a travelogue, a glimpse into 19th century Europe from a sharp and acute observer. Twain's descriptions of villages, hotel's, hotel customs, restaurant fare, mountains and mountain climbing, art and artists, architecture are joys to ...more
Hall's Bookshop
Apr 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: james
For Mark Twain, humour was best served dry - so dry that sometimes it's hard to tell where one joke end and the next begins. Indeed, I was actually under the impression that this book was 'The Innocents Abroad' when I started reading it, so Twain gets one more jab in post mortem. Germans, Swiss, Americans and the English are all equally laid waste, along with Rhine wine and mountain climbing. And of course, this being the story of an epic journey across Europe on foot, Twain and his companion ...more
Madhushi Bandara
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another legendary story. Learned a lot about Europe culture, attractions and language. The annex about German language was mind blowing. I don't know how much of this was true but enjoyed the reading. Sometimes the tiny details may bore the reader but those are essential for the story. I savoured his sarcasm towards tourists, opera etc.
Bookista
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Uneven in parts but oh so good. It's his travels through Europe "on foot." Some of the best bits: failure to see the sunrise in Switzerland, meeting other American tourists abroad, his friend Harris' Protestant dislike of Catholic glaciers.
Connie
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm only on page 20 but blown away by similarities in Twain's observations of the beer-drinking hijinks of university students in His day in Heidleberg and my own observations of modern day university students and their quest of the same sorts of drunken prowess.
Dwayne
Oct 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, classic
Meh, 's'a'right...interesting use of language, but somewhat dated by same. Still, worth reading for this very reason (some of us LIKE writing in an old fashioned style.)
Erin
Twain is indeed a funny man- something I never fully believed until reading this work!
Daniel
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow in spots but in other places hilarious, Twain recounts his travels through (mostly) Germany and Switzerland. Don't miss his essay on the German language in the appendix.
Cameron
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book, it is hilarious. I love the way he describes things and is critical of things. One quote I like was about the German Language, "I can understand German about as well as the maniac that invented it but I speak it best through an interpreter". His experiencing duels, getting lost in his own room with the lights off while trying not to wake up his roommate, and many more.

I recommend the audiobook as it feels more like he is telling you the stories and it is fun to listen to.
Will
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
"A man accustomed to American food and American domestic cookery would not starve to death suddenly in Europe; but I think he would gradually waste away, and eventually die.

He would have to do without his accustomed morning meal. That is too formidable a change altogether; he would necessarily suffer from it. He could get the shadow, the sham, the base counterfeit of that meal; but it would do him no good, and money would not buy the reality.

To particularize: the average American's simplest and
Jason
Jan 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Twain fans
Recommended to Jason by: Twain's bibliography
Shelves: mark-twain, 2015, humor
Well, it looks like all of Twain's travel books might be getting three stars from me. So far we're three for three at three, but I definitely have a ranking. Roughing It is my favorite of the ones I've read so far because it had more anecdotal asides than the others, and those make the book. Plus I'm an American, and that one takes place in America, so I'm more familiar with the territory. In fact, Roughing It would've been a four star book if it weren't for the last section on Hawaii which was ...more
Nicholas During
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mark Twain's voice does seem the quintessential American voice. I haven't read The Innocents Abroad: or, The New Pilgrims' Progress, so I'm not sure if there is much difference, but I loved this book.

First is the voice, which is a strange, and hilarious, melange of the real Twain (I guess...), his protagonist (a fool), vivid descriptions of the sights, events, and people meet and seen on the way, and opinions that veer between complete humor and ironical common sense. And it is not just the
S.P. Moss
May 18, 2014 rated it liked it
THE ALTERNATIVE BAEDEKER?
Published in 1880, 'A Tramp Abroad' is a mix of autobiography and fiction covering the author's travels in Southern Germany, the Swiss Alps and Italy.

The title sets the tone for the book in that "tramp" - in either sense of the word - is a deliberate misnomer, as Mr Twain/Clemens rarely travels by foot, taking advantage of the transport available at the time - trains, rafts, carriages, steamers, mules - and the services of that all-important courier.

This is a very long
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • He Who Dies Last (Dr. Hoffmann series)
  • Kulturgeschichte der Neuzeit: Die Krisis der europäischen Seele von der schwarzen Pest bis zum Ersten Weltkrieg
  • Waarom cola duurder is dan melk
  • Crimson Moon
  • The Indian Bride (Konrad Sejer, #5)
  • Divorce Turkish Style
  • Naughty Puppies
  • The Book of Five Rings
  • The Mueller Report: Report on the Investigation into Russian Interference in the 2016 Presidential Election
  • Conjure Wife
  • The Story of Baden-Powell: 'The Wolf That Never Sleeps'
  • Star Trek: TNG: Mirror Broken #0
  • Gargantua and Pantagruel
  • The Boy Scouts Book Of Campfire Stories
  • Secret Empires: How the American Political Class Hides Corruption and Enriches Family and Friends
  • Apollo 13
  • Give the Devil His Due (Rowland Sinclair #7)
Samuel Langhorne Clemens, better known by his pen name Mark Twain, was an American author and humorist. He is noted for his novels Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1885), called "the Great American Novel", and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876).

Twain grew up in Hannibal, Missouri, which would later provide the setting for Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer. He apprenticed with a printer. He also
“That's the difference between governments and individuals. Governments don't care, individuals do.” 37 likes
“Every noun has a gender, and there is no sense or system in the distribution; so the gender of each must be learned separately and by heart. There is no other way. To do this one has to have a memory like a memorandum-book. In German, a young lady has no sex, while a turnip has. Think what overwrought reverence that shows for the turnip, and what callous disrespect for the girl. See how it looks in print -- I translate this from a conversation in one of the best of the German Sunday-school books:

Gretchen: "Wilhelm, where is the turnip?"

Wilhelm: "She has gone to the kitchen."

Gretchen: "Where is the accomplished and beautiful English maiden?"

Wilhelm. "It has gone to the opera.”
7 likes