Start by marking “Unlucky Day” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Unlucky Day

Everyone has to come out in the open eventually.

A mysterious sniper is killing random New York City citizens every day at the same time. Detective Joe Bannon and his partner Hannah Trimble follow the breadcrumb trail of clues down repeated blind alleys. With citizens fearing to venture outside, the streets of Manhattan have become nearly deserted.

When the sniper begins
Published December 9th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Unlucky Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unlucky Day

Tulay
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good read.

Captivated me from the start, especially walked on those streets and parks made it impossible to put it down. Author carefully observed and wrote about the how real New Yorkers, compared to tourists behave and walk. We know who the serial killer is, but hunt for him was really exciting. NYPD, Secret service and magician looking for him. Was not prepared to shocking ending.
NYC had 114 mayors, first one was Thomas Willett.
Trish R.
May 07, 2018 rated it liked it

Not quite 3 stars..

Ok, this just went on and on and on. One murder after another and Joe couldn’t catch a break. The killer managed to sneak away at every turn. It became monotonous and boring. This author could have ended this story at 70% and it would have been so much better. This did make the police look incompetent.

It was interesting, as long as you weren’t reading about Joe and Hannah screwing up every time they tried to close in on the killer. By the time it came to the 7th or 8th killing
Ashley Marie
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick Crime Read

I began reading this while on holiday in Mexico. It was a very quick read with a solid ending. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone looking for a quick page turner. 4/5 stars because I was expecting a little bit more of a twist at the end...
Bklynsouth
The premise of this book looked good, but as the old saying goes "never judge a book by it's...." It starts out fast and edgy than it quiets down in the middle and the banter is way too much between characters. Seriously one guy and 33,000 Police Officers get's by them, give me a break!!!

Fast read and good ending, bit of a twist.
Geoff. Lamb
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Unlucky Day is a propulsive, edge-of-the-seat ride. The best thriller I have read in the past 12 months. I hope to make detective Joe Bannon's acquaintance again!
January Gray
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Awesomeness! Amazon recommended this book to me. How did I not discover this Author sooner? Thrilling, solid plot and characters. Realistic. I finished it in a few hours. I could not put it down.
Ed Raner
The writer had you engaged until the very end. Then when he brought bicycles into the story, he reverted back to Mark Twain and A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Too bad he couldn't have come up with an ending that fit the rest of the story.

There are also a couple of scenarios that just don't make sense. One is that a guy with a bullet in his leg can ride a bicycle all over New York City and not feel any pain, but when he tries to walk on the same leg, the pain is his downfall.

This
Eugene L. Normand
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I accidently gave this 4****, but meant to give it 3***! Somewhat suspenseful, but too repetitive in his getaway actions. Inconceivable that the FBI would assign one agent to this type of carnage. I thought the ending should have started winding up about 50% into the book as it started getting boring! Gee, all of a sudden POTUS decides to get in the act and they pull off a magician's trick .. and it then seems the author tries to outdo Ian Fleming's miraculous James Bond type ridiculous bicycle ...more
Nenette
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very interesting and fast-paced thriller, it had all the elements of a story that was rightfully and artfully stretched out towards its ending. All throughout the novel, there was what seemed to be the never ending chase to put down the sniper killing random New Yorkers. Only one thing I did not like very much: how the lead detective was very much affected personally; he really should be given a good break in life. Case solved, but a sequel should be in order, if only for a happier ending for ...more
Jerry Mount
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced crime thriller. I really liked the pacing. It was a little unusual in that we don't get much of the antagonist's thinking and motivations. We only get that kind of second-hand from law enforcement profiling. There are a few VERY lucky police deductions and antagonist breaks. Also, a few weak plot points, if not holes. I'm pretty sure that the NYPD has pretty good contingency plans for dealing with a sniper. And I'm doubtful that there are many wannabe copycat snipers out in the worl ...more
Ryan Rauber
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
An interesting premise that sorts of bogs down at the end. A lone sniper terrorizes the streets of NYC, and a pair of detectives try to stop him. Aside from the fact that the FBI only assigns one agent to this case to assist, and I would think an entire task force would be assigned to hunt him, this is a rather enjoyable thriller. Just leave your brain at the start, and enjoy it for what it is.
Jeff Lamb
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Couldn’t put down

I was reading this and another book at the same time, one for business and one for pleasure, but as soon as I got about 1/4 of the way I couldn’t read the other one. This just kept going. Fast paced and new things in every chapter. Some good twists too. I really enjoyed it.
Judy A. Kuhl
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lucky day I.found this book!

I love well written suspense novels. This is certainly a well written novel with interesting characters and a well developed plot. I had a hard time putting this book down. It was especially weird to be reading this book when the crazy guy shot so many in Las Vegas at a concert. I need to read more books by J.R. McLean.
Kevin
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gets going right from the beginning and never stops. I say this because I usually become impatient around the 3/4 mark of any book I am reading. The story was exciting and gives a good visual imagery as the author describes the various attacks in New York City. Wondering about the killer's next move will keep your interest piqued. Although it doesn't take long to get to the next part. It has been a while since I've been that involved in reading fiction.
Mark Pritchard
Nov 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly good weekend read. I found the villain's internal dialog a bit too smug and irritating, but the rest of the characters moved right along. A couple good twists, and one solid "didn't see that coming", and a clean ending. Sometimes you just want a good story without all the drama and exposition. This fit the bill.
Randy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I almost gave this 4 stars... Probably like 3.5 starts. It was an engaging book, but the nemesis was almost too perfect. How does a hunter become an expert marksman shooting from a mile away? Does this really happen outside of expert training? But overall the book was engaging and had good pace and was worth the read.
Walt Mccluskey
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Unlucky day

Written almost entirely in the minds of the protagonists this tale was exquisite in its telling and layout. It kept moving almost too fast in parts and offered a totally unexpected ending with the interplay between the detectives. Well done and worth a look at other of McLeay's work in the future.
sylvia
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good book

This story will stop and make you think twice about what people will do. A good read it will make you think twice about what people will do. You will enjoy reading this book.
Jonathan Shipperley
Good story

Enjoyed this book. Good flavor of NYC, and a great protagonist and antagonist. Ended up really rooting for the good guy. And a really good twist towards the end. No typos or grammar errors that I could see, just a good read.
jo cicale
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great thriller with a bang and fireworks ending. New author for me but looking forward to more. The storyline and characters mark this author as a wonderful writer. As a New “Yawker” I appreciated his authentic capture of my beloved city.
Nancye
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read

I really enjoyed yourbook. Everything was moving so good and then the handgrenede popped up. Not plausible. Not on a bike with one hand, wounded, using a gun and weaving.
Betty Adams
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A true thriller!
Carole Beasley
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
That Sniper

Thought he could do it all. However once again the troops became one and the race was on. Especially a very good book to read. So what does Joe do next?
Wilbersfam
Okay, book. Seemed a little drap. Also like the writer wrote himself into a corner for the ending
Vanessa Kenny
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Riveting!

Riveting and suspenseful! From start to finish this book will keep you enthralled! Action packed with twists and turns to keep you reading more. Definite must read book!
MERRITT CLARK
Aug 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating premise with enough intrigue to keep you turning the pages. I enjoyed this book. Very intricate. Characters are tremendous.
Carole
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
My OK list of books is getting long. This book had too many murders in it. Every day this guy killed someone usually from a distance of 1 mile. I finished but. . . . I don't recommend it.
Patricia Charlow
Unlucky Day

Edge of your seat and not too difficult to follow plot. Also, author's grammar was good. . . . .
Robbie
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Suspenseful, but inherently unbelievable. Also, the plot becomes completely repetitive, and I found it difficult to find the motivation to finish.
James
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found it hard to put down. A real page turner.
  • Social Code
  • Mac Walker's Betrayal: The Collection
  • Endangered Species, Book 1: "Diary of an Eco-Warrior"
  • Scam Man (Dev Haskell - Private Investigator Book 13)
  • The Dying Dance (Detective Byone Book 1)
  • Play Him Again
  • Winner Lose All
  • Doing Bizness
  • Taken (Stranded, #2)
  • The Family (Men in the Shadows #1)
  • 6 Hours 42 Minutes (Vigilante, #5)
  • Colorado Hitch (Colorado Heart, #5)
  • Mushroom in the Sand
  • Licensed to Thrill Sampler
  • Closet (Todd Mills Mystery #1)
  • Steel Breach
  • Calvin's Head
  • Together Again (Never Too Late, #5)
J. R. McLeay is an Amazon top 100 author who writes standalone stories across multiple genres.

His first novel, The Cicada Prophecy, was a quarterfinalist for the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award and was selected as the best science fiction book of 2015 by the review site Books, Books, and More Books.

His second novel, the crime thriller Unlucky Day, was picked up by Kindle Press within a few month
“Cops target minorities or anyone who doesn’t blindly submit to their authority.” 0 likes
“second. The first seven digits measured the time since the previous midnight,” 0 likes