Start by marking “What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety” as Want to Read:
What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety

What to Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming Anxiety

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  882 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
An interactive self-help book designed to guide 6-12 year olds and their parents through the cognitive-behavioral techniques most often used in the treatment of generalized anxiety. This book educates and motivates children to work towards change. It includes a note to parents by psychologist and author Dawn Huebner, PhD.
Published September 1st 2005 by Magination Press

To ask other readers questions about What to Do When You Worry Too Much, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Mary
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bow, self-improvement
I know I'm not a kid, but there was a lot of stuff in this book that seemed really helpful. The author does a great job of explaining things--like the concepts of containment, externialization, and competing demands--in language that makes sense and that sticks in your mind. Containment, for example is the idea that milk in a carton is not a big obstacle in your life, but a gallon of milk without a carton or something to hold it is a mess. She also explains how worries are like tomato plants -- ...more
Kris
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to my girls, ages 10, 8, and 6, who all struggle from anxiety to one degree or another. They seemed to find it helpful. I think at the very least, it made them realize that there are other kids out there who have similar problems. I liked that there were concrete techniques presented, and I am hoping they will be useful.
karenbee
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book for young kids, but I got a lot out of it. It's a friendly, easy-to-access explanation of a few CBT techniques for managing generalized anxiety.

I initially borrowed it thinking it might help me in the parenting department, since at least one of my children deals with some anxiety, and it surpassed my expectations. While I have more or less used these techniques myself, I've never given much thought to what I was doing, exactly, and have had a hard time putting them into words. Re
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Huebner has created a guide for children to overcome their anxiety through the usage of cognitive-behavioral techniques and explaining anxiety in a way that children can relate to. I love the suggestions of daily activities children can do to help them with anxiety, like talk time, worry time, and using logic. While the book is a guide for children, parents could use this book as a guide for children who are not able to read or for children who need the extra support.
Jessica
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I'm loving this series of books - cognitive-behavioral techniques in kid-friendly language. I'm hoping I can find a way to make use of them at school, but I'll certainly recommend them to any parents I know.
Gwen
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I never felt like I got my money's worth so quickly from a book I bought for work like this one! So simple, so practical. My child clients love it and so do I.
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
This is a great book. Good counseling steps to deal with worry. Nice comparison of growing worry to growing tomatoes. I'm excited to check out other books in the series. Definitely written for children, but I think it could be just as useful for adults.

How to Beat the Worries:
Use logic against worries.
Lock worries up in a strong box in your mind.
Make worries wait for worry time.
Tell worries to GET LOST!
Move your body to reset your system.
Relax with a favorite memory.
Stay strong in your body and
Rachel Fellows
A wonderful practical guide for helping kids deal with stress and anxiety. It frames anxiety and worry is a way that is tangible and gives excellent tips to help overcome worry, stress, and anxiety. Honestly, this is a good book for anxious adults, too!
The Stumps
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This workbook simplifies some basic cognitive behavioral theories for reducing anxiety. It talks about worry being normal, but the second half talks about how to get rid of the excess worry. Another good thing is that it also encourages parental involvement.
Megan
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really great resource for anyone with an anxious child.
Deanne
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
went through this book with my daughter and it was helpful to her. we will probably go through it again before the next school year starts.
Amy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My son went through the exercises in this book with a therapist when he was nine years old, back in 2013. He still remembered several of the ideas from it. But his anxieties came back with a vengeance in early January of this year, so we picked up this book and What to Do When Your Brain Gets Stuck: A Kid's Guide to Overcoming OCD to go through them again. We started having daily Worry Time, worked on breathing techniques, and started identifying "trash" thoughts that could be discarded.

It turne
Janhmmn
Feb 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I bought this book to read with ds11, who has some issues I think are at least partly anxiety. It was a good read, well laid out and easy to follow, with some good ideas. I think it is probably aimed at slightly younger children, but for something like this, it's probably better to make the material simpler than it has to be rather than too difficult. He didn't fill in any of the picture pages, that really isn't his style, but we've come back to some of the analogies eg the tomatoes, and found t ...more
Maureen McCann
Mar 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Need Help Talking to Your Kids About Worry?

Did your parents ever talk to you about your worries? How did that conversation start? Was it uncomfortable or did the conversation flow?

In her 2006 book What to Do When You WORRY Too Much, A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Anxiety author Dawn Huebner, Ph.D. begins to tell a story of a tomato plant that continues to grow and grow. It grows so much that tomatoes start to make their way into every family meal. What do you think about tomato ice cream and tomato
Jennifer Rayment
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: want-to-buy
Jake's Review: This is a really great book to help kids like me get over their worries. The author put everything into words I could understand. She never made me feel weird about having all these worries. The ways in which she suggests that I can get rid of my worries make sense and I hope they will work (Mom's note: please, please, please let them work) I like the pictures, they are really funny and the way the author explains things makes sense. I liked the activity pages, they were fun and t ...more
Crystal
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My son (9.5 years old) was diagnosed with Anxiety Disorder and Autism Spectrum Disorder today. On our way home from the evaluation we stopped by the bookstore and bought this book based on reviews on Amazon (the amazon price check app for iPhone is fantastic for this purpose). Tonight at bedtime we snuggled in bed and read the book from front to back. Sometimes he read, sometimes I read, sometimes he would shout out "that's just like me!" during parts. We talked a little about what we read, trie ...more
Jane
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Since I recently learned that anxiety is one of the most common issues facing young kids, I figured someone I know might benefit from this review. If you have an anxious child, I can't recommend this book enough. In just one week of reading this with my son (we do a chapter or two a night and sometimes re-read), I've already noticed a difference. While he hasn't conquered his anxiety by a long shot, the tools this book has given him to put his anxieties into words have been invaluable. The book ...more
Ryan Gray
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read for children who suffer from anxiety issues. My little brother who is 10 years old has long had bad anxiety. I first came across this book when my mother bought it for my little brother Andrew at age 7. The story is fun and not to straight forward in addressing the Childs issues. This book will teach not only your child about dealing with anxiety but you tools in which you can use to help them as well. This book was written by a psychologist and is truly a very powerful book. ...more
Heather
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2013
There are a number of excellent reviews here and on Amazon to help readers determine if this book will help their son or daughter overcome anxiety. It is a quick read even for a 10-year-old, but it is meant to be used as a workbook, not just read straight through. Other than one section on visualizing worries as little monsters sitting on one's shoulders, which could make things much, much worse, this book had a lot of useful tips - I would just caution parents to read the book first and skip ov ...more
Yasamin Rezaei
Nov 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites
"آیا می دانستید نگرانی ها هم مثل گوجه فرنگی ها هستند؟نه نمی توانید آنها را بخورید ولی می توانید آنها را پرورش دهید.خیلی ساده با توجه کردن به آنها باعث رشدشان می شوید.اگر نگرانی های تان آنقدر بزرگ شده اند که تقریبا هر روز ناراحتتان می کنند پس این کتاب مناسب شماست"
"وقتی شما خیلی درباره ی نگرانی ها فکر کنید و مدام درباره ی آنها صحبت کنید به نگرانی ها هم کمک می کنید تا رشد کنند"
"خودتان را چنین بچه ای تصور کنید.تصور کنید آنقدر قوی هستید که به نکرانی ها بگویید بروند.تصور کنید که نگرانی ها واقعا در ح
Monika
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
See on 6-12 aastastele lugejatele mõeldud eneseabiraamat, milles õpetakse lastele võtteid ärevusest ja hirmust ülesaamiseks. Näiteks:
- kasuta murede vastu loogikat,
- käsi muredel minema kaduda,
- meenuta mõnda ilusat mälestust,
- ole vaimult ja kehalt tugev,
- lukusta mured kindlasse kujutletavasse kasti ja ära lase neil sealt välja tulla,
- kehtesta kindel 15 minutiline "muretsemise aeg", mil sa istud vanemaga maha ja räägid oma muredest, muul ajal ära neile asjadele mõtte.
Hea ja arusaadavalt kirj
sparkypink
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This has been a wonderful book for my seven year old daughter. I originally checked it out from the library, and planned on reading a chapter a day with her. She saw the book and wanted to read the entire thing immediately. It was like a weight was lifted off her shoulders and she said, "you mean there are other people that worry as much as I do?" The next day I bought her very own copy to have. She has benefited from the practical applications and several months later, will pull it out when she ...more
Debbie
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What a great book for anxious kids! I have read it and have been going through it with our kids. We have one (our youngest) that worries about everything and everyone! We are hoping to see some results for the mental health of everyone in our family. It also resonates with the other 2 and seems helpful for their occasional anxieties! If they can put it in perspective at a young age, I am hoping it will help them later in life.
Christine Turner
Subject: Worry in children -- Juvenile literature.
Anxiety in children -- Juvenile literature.
Missus B's  Picture Book Reviews
I highly recommend this book as a support tool for children who are anxious/worried. The book is clear, practical and suggests a variety of ways in which a child can learn to regulate their emotions and overcome anxiety. Read more of my review on my blogpost here: http://missusbspicturebookreviews.blo...
Leslie
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I can hardly believe I never reviewed this book beforw. I found it to be the most usefull tool in dealing with my little boy's anxieties. Heck, it was helpfull for me too. We are both worriers. The docs wanted to prescribe an arsenal of meds but we just went with one minor one and this book. It is awesome for kids and adults!
Tania
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
We got this book for my son at the recommendation of his therapist. We read it together in two nights and we've already seen a change in his affect and he's tried out several of the techniques. He likes the workbook pages and how he gets to draw and write things out. I recommend it to anyone who has a child that has a tendency towards worrying and anxiety.
Paula
"Teaches school-age children cognitive-behavioral techniques to reduce and overcome anxiety, fears, and worry, through writing and drawing activities and self-help exercises and strategies. Includes introduction for parents"--Provided by publisher.
Although cataloged as E nonfiction, might be a better fit for older children
Michelle Tempted By Books
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am really grateful for this book. The way it reads is for children and is extremely well said as to be understandable for a child with anxiety. I read this to my son and we did the activities. I think it really helped thanks to the activities. I would definitely recommend this book to any parent who is having some anxiety issues with their child.
Leslie
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
When my son Brian was dealing with some anxiety issues, a friend recommended this book and both of us found the exercises very helpful. We read this book together when Brian was in 1st grade, and now he's in 3rd grade and able to deal with his worries very well. They still come out when he's tired and wound up, but he responds when I do the exercises with him. Great help.
Meghan Morrissey - What To Do When You Worry Too Much - #1 1 1 May 27, 2017 05:05PM
  • Freeing Your Child from Anxiety
  • How to Take the Grrrr Out of Anger
  • Wilma Jean the Worry Machine
  • You've Got Dragons
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • The Elephant in the Playroom: Ordinary Parents Write Intimately and Honestly About the Extraordinary Highs and Heartbreaking Lows of Raising Kids with Special Needs
  • My Anxious Mind: A Teen's Guide To Managing Anxiety And Panic
  • What You Must Think of Me: A Firsthand Account of One Teenager's Experience with Social Anxiety Disorder
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • Stick Up for Yourself!: Every Kid's Guide to Personal Power and Positive Self-Esteem
  • I Believe in You
  • I'm Gonna Like Me: Letting Off a Little Self-Esteem
  • The Anxiety Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Anxiety and Worry
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • Asperger Syndrome and Difficult Moments: Practical Solutions for Tantrums, Rage, and Meltdowns
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder
  • Maybe Days: A Book for Children in Foster Care
Dawn Huebner, PhD, wrote most of her first book (What to Do When You Worry Too Much) on walks to and from her office in downtown Exeter, NH. The rest of her series was similarly conceived, although she eventually set up a computer (and designated a writing day) in a spare room at home.

A clinical psychologist in private practice, Dr. Huebner recognized the need for lively, easy-to-read take-home ma
More about Dawn Huebner...