Start by marking “Sparkwood” as Want to Read:
Sparkwood

Sparkwood

Finn has never trusted faeries, so it's no surprise to him when his twin brother turns up dead, probably by magical means. What he doesn't expect is an invitation to the funeral—in the faery realm—and a chance to find out who killed him.

Investigating Luke's death is probably the stupidest thing Finn has ever done, and soon he's up to his neck in faery trouble. In the midst
ebook
Published February 15th 2017 by Less Than Three Press (first published February 13th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Sparkwood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sparkwood

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
*3.5 stars*

Surprisingly enjoyable book from new-to-me author, Daria Defore.

I'm a big paranormal and urban fantasy fan, and some of my favorite books are fairy/fae stories (The Fever Series: Darkfever, Bloodfever, Faefever, Dreamfever, Shadowfever). However, I don't have a great track record with trying new authors, and novella-length stories can be tricky business. I was really impressed with what Daria Defore did with this one.

Sparkwood combines a mystery, an enemies-to-lovers romance, and so
Karen
Apr 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is not a romance...

But it does have a touch of romance in it. 'Sparkwood' is more of a murder mystery/thriller with a very subtle romance developing in the background and I do mean subtle about halfway through this book I was questioning whether or not things couple possibly ever work out between the MCs. Their relationship seemed firmly ensconced in the love to hate category...as in they loved to hate each other but there was also a definite pull of attraction between them, so of course
Hannah
Jul 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books, lgbtq, romance
I've read a lot of heavy books lately. Sometimes to stay sane you need a nice fun palate cleanser. This is a straight-up fantasy romance full of tropes and I enjoyed each and every one of them.
☙ percy ❧
for some reason i thought this was YA and then suddenly there was a very steamy (and well-written!) sex scene in the middle, which was a pleasant surprise.

this was quite enjoyable; the main storyline was pretty good, the characters were alright, there was a good twist near the ending. however, i did feel that there was something missing - perhaps it was the lack of chemistry between finn and robin in the first three-quarters or so of the book.

although i usually enjoy brevity in fiction, i thoug
Chiara
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A murder mystery with fairies, a bi MC, magic, and a cute af ship? Perfection. Keen to read more from this author!
Adriana
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer-lit
3.5/5 Stars

A nice, interesting smorgasbord of tropes and genres. Overall an enjoyable read. Somewhat of a clumsy third act, but still a fun enemies-to-lovers romance set in a dark faerie world.
Gillian
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it

3/5 stars

I love PNR but I haven’t dipped my toes into the faery realm very often. But the pretty cover and the blurb piqued my interest, so I thought I would give Sparkwood shot. Unfortunately, it didn’t really live up to my expectations.

The story itself has lots of potential. In flashbacks, we see that Finn and his brother Luke grew up near a faery portal. While Finn only felt fear and loathing for the faeries, Luke was completely fascinated with them and
Rebecca Langham
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sparkwood promises magic, intrigue, and strong-willed bisexual men, and it definitely delivers on those promises. After a sluggish start, the book drew me in and demanded that I finish it.

THE POSITIVES

My favourite aspect of this novella was the setting. I didn't connect with the characters immediately (I did by the end!), but thanks to the initial description of the small town of Sparkwood, I started to really engage with the writing. I also loved how much the author managed to convey about the
Sharon
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Less Than Three Press and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Sparkwood. This is my honest opinion of the book.

Finn Bricket does not trust fairies, but ends up tangled up with them after his twin brother dies under mysterious circumstances. When an invitation to his brother's funeral in the fairy world gives Finn the opportunity to investigate, will he be able to figure out the real story and stay out of danger?

Sparkwood is a sleepy town in the foothills of the Cascade Mountains, th
Miriam Joy
I requested this from NetGalley because (a) fairies and (b) the protagonist's called Finn. For those who aren't aware, Finn's a nickname of mine (and I've been thinking a lot about changing my professional name lately, so it may end up being more than that). Although it was an enjoyable read, I felt aspects of it were a little bit weak and needed some more work before it could reach its full potential.

First of all, I liked the book's approach to queer characters. I found it in the LGBTQ section
Silas
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, everyone should go out and buy this book and/or The Trouble, because we want to encourage the author to write more books, please and thankyou.

Urban/paranormal fantasy isn't even usually my thing. I *usually* find it leaves me a bit cold, even when I can tell it's well done; maybe it's the uncanny valley feel of things, like the faery eyes in this book.

But. But. This book knew and understood and embraced the uncanny valley nature of its genre and *ran with it*, with excellent results. I t
Jeff Youngstrom
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Despite some first-novel pacing and editing issues, this is a fun urban fantasy/murder mystery/queer romance. The characters are realistically quirky and the setting is well drawn with a pleasing measure of Twin Peaks flavor well-suited to the location (I live in Issaquah and work in Snoqualmie, WA so the fictional Sparkwood is right in my backyard.)

I had heard the author talking about the book on a podcast and from what she said I was expecting way more sex. But what's here has that combination
Magnolia
Mar 19, 2017 rated it liked it
From Magnolia Reviews: Three Petals

I really liked the world building of the fairies in this story and the depth it provided, however I couldn't connect with any of the characters, which made it difficult to finish. I do recommend it because overall I did enjoy reading this book.

Read the full review on Maggie's website: http://magnoliareviews.weebly.com/rev...
Anne Crow
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Neat mystery, liked the characters and the way the world was set up. The relationship went from "I hate you" to "I love you" awfully fast - understandable under the circumstances but a little more resting in Finn and Robin's thoughts about it would have been nice. Will certainly read more by her.
Saoirse
Jul 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-tbr
This is a murder mystery about a closeted bi guy whose brother was taken by the fair folk. He fake dates a grumpy faerie investigator. It'd be hard to make a book more specifically catered to my taste than this. I hope Defore has more stories set in this world up her sleeve!
Sally
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bisexual, romance, fantasy
Initially, I was prepared not to like this, since Finn was so unlikable for the first half, but I loved the concept and enjoyed the faery world, so I stuck with it. I'm glad I did, because it developed quite nicely in the second half.
Andrea
Sep 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Enjoyed but wasn't overwhelmed.
Nicole Field
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
NetGalley Review

Due to my interest in fairies, picking this one up was a no brainer. The main character has a brother who was killed in fairy and, despite having no detective experience, embarks on a mission to find out his brother's killer.

And in so doing, almost commits himself to 14 years of servitude to a fairy who had an indirect hand in his brother's death.

So it went very well, then.

The plot of this book was solid. The only part that let it down, for me, was that I didn't really get the romance between
Dana
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
Good story. I wish there had been more world development but it was good enough. I'm not usually a huge fan of mystery but this one had the right balance. Just one love scene near the end, so it's not too graphic.
Lisa
Mar 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I received an e-copy of this book on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book is a mix of murder mystery and fantasy story. Luke has been murdered by faeries, and Finn, his twin brother, wants to investigate his death, which means he has to enter the faery realm, which might be the worst decision he ever made.

I was intrigued by this book as I like stories about faeries and the cover is lovely (there isn't actually a lot of foresty stuff going on which is sad bc I love des
Aunt Meanie
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Sparkwood by Daria Defore

I enjoyed the book, although it was an unusual book for me to read. I chose the book based on cover art and description that included murder mystery and fairies. The fact that it also included gay/queer/bi-sexual characters was more a curiosity factor for me. As in; how does a murder mystery involving gay/bi-sexual characters differ from a murder mystery with heterosexual characters? Umm – not that much, LOL.

Set in Sparkwood, WA – a small rural town on the edge of great forests, and the “mirror
Katrin Davidson
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, m-m, fantasy
My feelings having read this novel is a mixed bag. The imagination in this novel is really strong, Daria Defore knows her magic, fairies, legends and fables. I just found it lacked that added *wow* factor. Finn is very angry for a large part of the novel, so whilst it's very imaginative and amazing what's happening to him (view spoiler) it's seen through quite a bitter lens one that I felt slightly tainted it. We also had L ...more
Ere
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very fun book that was way too brief! I'm a sucker for faeries, and especially pleased to find queer romance involving them. The characters felt very real, the mystery and suspense was incredibly fun, and who doesn't like some good ol' enemies-to-lovers fake dating plot?

It felt like the world and the plot could have been given more beef, and the characters spending more time together, but otherwise a very fun book indeed.
Merrik
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
When I've read the premise I become wildly interested. I love stories about fae and I love crime. When I've read a book - I wasn't disappointed. I liked the main characters, and the plot overall was good. Yet, I have a problem with "main evil" character - it was very predictable and the character itself was build in a way you needed to hate/dislike him. It would be better if he had at least one positive trait.

Overall: pretty good. I spent an afternoon with it and I don't regret it.
Chelon
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, sci-fi, fae-elf, arc
I found this book to be very well written and complex, it was story filled with mystery, humor, fear, friendship, love, and finally acceptance. There was an equal balance of everything and was not overwhelmed by the mystical nature of the fairies. I have always avoided M/M stories and this was my first M/M only romance and I found the sexual orientation and nature not relevant to how I viewed the characters, due to the authors ability create well developed characters. Worth a read.

I was given a
Alexis Nalley
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Every time I read a Daria Defore book I devour it in one sitting. It helped that I was on vacation last year when I read it, but I probably would have read it all at once even if I wasn’t. This book really just hit all of my favorite things. Bisexual representation, enemies- to-lovers, fairies, I love them all. Add in the fake dating? I’m done for and the book will be a total winner. Sparkwood was no exception. I loved Robin. This awkward fairy is a total badass and he was freaking awesome. To b ...more
A.M.
Zack
Aug 24, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Paperback edition missing cover 2 12 Feb 17, 2018 04:31PM
Less Than Three P...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Giveaway - Sparkwood by Daria Defore - CLOSED 19 34 Feb 21, 2017 07:36AM
Daria Defore has been writing ever since she was a kid, and vividly remembers that her first story was about getting a pet dinosaur from Santa Claus. Now she writes filthy romance instead.

Daria's books are about losers doing the best they can. Her style is conversational and funny, and her writing inspirations range from Agatha Christie to Ernest Hemingway. She brings a love of place to her storie