Start by marking “A Charm of Finches (Venery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Charm of Finches (Venery, #2)

A Charm of Finches (Venery #2)

4.82  ·  Rating details ·  425 Ratings  ·  211 Reviews
“I swear. Give me one more chance and I will make the most of it.”

Ex-hustler Javier Landes is asking for his third chance at love. The third time proves to be the charm when he meets a Manhattan art therapist named Steffen Finch. What starts as casual and curious deepens into a passionate, soulful relationship—everything Jav has ever wanted, and everything he fears losing.
Published November 1st 2017

Bibi
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Spoiler Alert**

There's no contending that Suanne Laqueur was born to write.

First off and undoubtedly, this is how you write M/M romance. Although for me, labelling A Charm of Finches as merely an LGBTI romance seems like a misnomer because what Laqueur has done, is to set the bar so high it makes other books in this sub-genre (with the exception of Captive Prince) seem sophomoric.

Secondly, this book has Jav as one of the main protagonists. Javier Landes aka Javier Gil deSoto. Oh em gee...I lo
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
******6 STARS******

Unfiltered thoughts here https://wp.me/p7ZSCH-465

I know the scale only goes to 5 STARS but this book is off the fucking charts so I'm going to 6 STARS!

Some stories are important to tell and this is one of them. After reading the first book in this duet I had zero interest in reading book two. I'm not a big fan of M/M books because I can't connect to the romance part of it. What I decided to do was take a step back and figure out why. I figured it out but that's beside the po
Judith
4.5 Stars.

Another powerful and moving story from this highly talented Author.I found this a lot darker than book one and I went through a range of emotions reading it-definitely not always pretty but a story told so well.

This subject matter is harrowing at times and I really commend the Author for not portraying some events in graphic detail and yet still leaving the reader in no doubt about what has happened.Is it better for a reader to visualize events in their own minds? For me,it definitely
Maddie
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Maddie by: Nazanin
Not for under 18!!!

Warning - Contains triggers for sensitive readers

Authors note: →

An Exaltation of Larks spoke of The Disappeared Ones of Chile.

A Charm of Finches speaks to a different group of disappeared. An invisible demographic who often suffer in misunderstood silence.

I have one song for this book:
The Black Eyed Peas - Where Is The Love?

************
“Do you believe everything happens for a reason?”
“I do,” Jav said. “But not everyone gets the p
Suanne Laqueur
Mar 13, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote

Jav woke in the middle of the night with the quiet dark pressing on his ears. The silhouette of Stef’s body like a mountain range, hulking and majestic. Turned away from Jav now. Sleeping. Quiet. So quiet.

Are you there?

His fingertips gently touched the center of Stef’s back, right where the centaur was inked between his shoulder blades. Even with a shirt covering them, Jav knew where every single inked design was. He could find them in the dark. He knew the terrain of Stef’s body as well as he k
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
It's LIVE!

Amazon

Review @ Vanilla & Spice Books

✮✮✮ ALL OF THE STARS ✮✮✮

“I think love is a big wisdom made up of small understandings."

So. This is it. I daresay that this will be my favorite book of 2017 because I can't see how you can top this story. Big words, I know and I'm already taking away the conclusion of my review but what the hell. Bear with me.

Apart from losing his mother at fifteen, Geno was a normal teenager. He has a deep connection with his brother Carlos that only twins hav
Emma Scott
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
NO ONE WRITES LIKE THIS.

I've been trying for a long time to come up with a better opener, or a some sort of all-encompassing statement about this book in particular, but the simple truth is...no one writes like this. I didn't highlight any specific parts of the Finches in order to provide an example because the entire book is quote-worthy. It's a CTR+A situation, but I'll just randomly open it to a page and grab something...

“No,” Jav said. “Why?”
“You’re sighing a lot.”
Stef turned sideways and
Jan
**** 4.5 Stars ****

So many feels to gather and emotions to get hold of... trying to make sense of it and put it into words is harder than I first thought. A Charm of Finches is complex and intense and I feel that reviewing this is way out of my league.

SL starts this story kicking a bucket and spilling some shitty disturbing dark stuff that I was so not expecting. Because of that I dare to say A Charm of Finches is not for all.

For those whom it may concern Jav gets his so well deserved Happy En
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
-Brutally realistic and so beautiful-

Whenever I read one of Mrs.Laqueur's book, I end up just like this...

And I forgive her for making me cry (again) because my god, it was so worth it. She's in my all time Top 5 authors list and can't wait to read more from her... :)

Ps. I highly recommend all books of hers. Trust me, you won't regret for reading it. <3

“You’re the last chapter,” Jav said. “I went from the prologue to you. I skipped everything in the middle and now I’m in love with you and I
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-for-review

A wonderful, wonderful story about friendship, hope, love, trust, fear, courage and so much more. 'A Charm of Finches,' is an exquisite example of storytelling in the field of contemporary fiction. It’s a complex story full of passion for life and love juxtaposed against traumatic thought provoking content. A story that has layers of intelligence, heartache and emotion all weaved into an evocative narrative that engaged my thoughts and convincingly took hold of my heart.

The narrative centres lar
warhawke
Genre: General Fiction/MM Romance
Type: Standalone Book 2 of Venery series
POV: Third Person
Rating:

Javier (Jav) Landes had an existential crisis. After being an escort for years, he was ready to move on and do something for himself. Lucky for him, opportunity came just at the right time.

Steffen (Stef) Finch directed lives on a daily basis. As a therapist, he helped his patients find connections and closure. But he never realized what his own life needed until he got a glimpse of how it could be.

G
Malene_D *BadAndDirtyBooks*
I know that when I read a book by Suanne Laqueur, that I need to prepare myself for something unique and brilliant. This was also the case with A Charm Of Finches. Laqueur is truly a gifted writer and storyteller.
Already at 6% and my emotions were in turmoil. I quickly established a connection with her characters and then there was no way back. I immersed myself in them and their story they had to tell.

Every character I met were deep and complex. Laqueur peels layers off these people meticulous
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO |

Per Author: “Trust me when I say Jav is being kept very busy in the sequel—he's getting spectacularly laid and meeting a lot of new people.”

Stand-alone, book 2.
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO |
Blurb:
Geno Caan, an eighteen-year-old survivor of abuse, now heading toward to a future he’s not entirely sure he wants.
Steffen Finch, an art therapist guiding Geno through the destruction of love, while attempting to build a new relationship of his own.
J
Mo
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weird. I literally just finished my review and Lyle Lovett comes on the radio ... I have not heard that song in years...

------------------------------

Not for the faint hearted. My heart broke many times reading this. I feel I have bombarded you enough with updates that my review should be short! Yeah, you heard that one before.

"Do you believe everything happens for a reason?"

I did not read ANY reviews prior to reading this so my review will be quite vag
Hollis
What was one more tragic scene in this story? You piled pain on top of pain and eventually it plateaued out.

A CHARM OF FINCHES is hard to read. Horrific, even, at times. This is a sad, dark, wonderful book. But it's a sad, dark, wonderful book about an important and not-often addressed topic. Laqueur has served up a particular devastation you cannot imagine -- don't want to imagine -- until you dive in head first. She shows us some of the worst of humanity and what they can do to another human b
Robin Hill
I DID NOT WANT THIS BOOK TO END. Geno’s story—heartbreaking and tragic AF—is expertly woven into the perfection that is Stef and Jav. I was a huge Alex fan in An Exaltation of Larks, and I wasn’t sure if Stef could fill his swoony shoes. He did, and then some. Jav was the best version of himself. He grows into his skin, forgives his mistakes (as did I), and allows himself to be vulnerable while falling in love.

Paige
5 “More” Stars

There are not enough stars for this book.

Honestly, I don’t think any review I write will do it justice.

After having devoured the first book in this series, I was beyond excited for Javier continued story. And Ms. Laqueur didn’t disappoint. She actually blew me away in the best way possible. She gave more. Her stellar writing was filled with depth and hope and desire and heartbreak. It was passionate and lovely and tear-inducing. Stef was everything I hoped he’d be — more even. And
Nazanin
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, m-m-romance
4 Stars

"Listen and learn it, learn to tell it, and tell it to teach it."

As Jav said, his relationship with Stef was so easy! I know the point was that but it was too easy! I wish in reality everything was like their relationship! God, someone here is jealous! Before I started the story I thought of it as a complicated one (like the first book and Jav’s relationship/friendship with those two others) but I was wrong! Jav and Stef was so sync with each other! Somehow they were complementary to each
Kindling Micky
Deep, dark and beautiful.

A CHARM OF FINCHES has hit me so hard from venturing into the first pages to the last; there is a high emotional price to reading this book but it is worth it. This book has some of the most beautiful writing I’ve encountered in contemporary fiction. It’s not pretty-beautiful but ugly-beautiful and if none of what I say makes sense, then I’m sorry but I am unwilling to spoil a moment of this for potential readers.

This book is set around a context so foul and hideous that
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

‘I know you, he thought, wounded. I see you. I was born tangled with you. We started as one cell before becoming two.’

‘He felt nothing but conviction he was right. This was how it had to be. He knew no other way to survive what couldn’t be understood, other than to have it happen to someone else.’

A Charm of Finches by Suanne Laqueur was a masterpiece which we will never forget, our hearts may never recover but we wouldn’t want them to. We honestly have no words for how intensely overwhelmed we f
Christelle
**5 +++ stars**
A roller coaster of emotions that deeply resonated for me : this very-well written and evocative life and romance story stirred so many feelings that it will stay in my mind for quite a long time.

Imo, this is not a standalone and An Exaltation of Larks should be read before (it’s also a beautiful life story including the journey of Jav who plays a huge part in this instalment).

Warnings : there are some topics that can be triggers : abduction and gangrape, child abuse, atrocities
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
5 “Amor”Stars

The Art of Storytelling......Suanne Laqueur has the magic touch. Telling the story of characters and how they weave into each other’s life is done with the greatest of ease at her fingertips. Multiple characters, multiple storylines that all eventually intersect with beauty and grace. Love, Sexuality, Fears, Secrets, Lies, Hope, Sadness, Unthinkable Horrors, and Unimaginable Connections.....this book, this storytelling within storytelling penetrates deep within your emotions to full
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
1000 stars just because I can

‘Third time’s the charm, right?’ And he said, ‘A group of finches is called a charm.’”

Well it really is my third attempt at writing this review so this quote could not be more appropriate!

This book was like being hit by an enormous emotional wave!

The story began on a huge “bang!” and I was panting, heart galloping like a wild horse inside my rib cage. I was having a panic attack. I WAS Geronimo and I wanted someone anyone to come save me. It was the worse
CC
4.5 Stars!

description

As we reconnect with Javier “Jav” Landes, he’s at a point in his life where he wants to experience a real relationship. Based on his previous attempts, Jav is intimidated and feels a bit naïve but he’s ready when a certain man’s coordinates converge with his own.

“Give me this chance. Please. Let me love to find out who I really am.”

Steffan “Stef” Finch is an art therapist to abused males of all ages. His job is emotionally demanding but Stef has an earnest quality that nurtures an
Jen
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
6+ STARS!

ABSOLUTELY ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS I’VE EVER READ! Suanne Laqueur just has a way with words, killing the average guy. This is the second book in her Venery series and while I highly recommend reading An Exaltation of Larks, this book could be read as a standalone.

“Love is a great wisdom made up of small understandings.”

After reading An Exaltation of Larks I wanted more. Then I heard about A Charm of Finches and could not wait. I fell for Javier Landes in the first book and really wanted
Elsa Bravante
MY HEART HURTS

Hay ocasiones en las que mientras leo no puedo evitar pensar: aquí hay un agujero en el plot, esto está mal expresado, este personaje es plano, esta escena no es coherente con el resto de la historia, etc... Con este libro, desde la página 1, todos esos análisis me resultaron imposibles porque estaba demasiado ocupada en sentir, y qué manera de sentir.

Hay dos arcos argumentales que se se separan y se interrelacionan a lo largo del libro. Primero tenemos a Geno, no quiero desvelar n
♥Sharon♥
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just Wow. Another wonderfully written story.

This story is so much more than just the continuation of Jav’s story.

There is pain.

There is love.

There is cruelty.

There is compassion.

As life roads intersect between Jav, Stef and Geno we see each character lean on the other. For Jav and Stef is was a matter of finding out what was missing in their lives. For Geno it was finding his way back from a horrifying ordeal and a deception he was certain would leave him a damaged and unworthy young man.
Jessica  (Angie & Jessica's Dreamy Reads)
If I could give this book all the STARS in Nos, it still wouldn't be enough. If I'm a circle and this book is a circle, the place where we overlap is where I live now.

Such beautiful words, such horrific things... those are the thoughts that repeated on a loop as I turned each page of this book. A Charm of Finches is absolutely devastating. I was devastated by the course of events that destroyed Geno's world, by the questions that would never be answered, by the loss that can never be reclaimed.
TeriLyn
**A Charm of Finches generously provided in exchange for an honest review.**

5+++ ”Let me live to find out who I really am.” Stars

This freaking book. This profound and necessary book. This beautifully tragic, painfully uplifting story brought to glorious life by the accomplished pen of Suanne Laqueur.

A Charm of Finches represents a host of juxtapositions enabling readers the want to need everyone to understand, appreciate, and VALUE the importance of human empathy and compassion: good v. evil, h
Ellen ✦ Book Bellas ✦
"I swear. Give me one more chance and I will make the most of it."

Reading this book made me a better person. I can't find the right words to describe this magnificent story! I'm not eloquent enough. I want to be Suanne Laquer's best friend. Read this book. It will change your life. Very few authors have a way with words like Suanne Laquer. She reaches in and grabs your heart and doesn't let go.

“I think love is a big wisdom made up of small understandings."

This book tells the interwoven tale
Charmed, I'm sure. 1 24 Dec 09, 2016 12:30PM
A former professional dancer and teacher, Suanne Laqueur went from choreographing music to choreographing words. Her work has been described as "Therapy Fiction," "Emotionally Intelligent Romance" and "Contemporary Train Wreck."

Laqueur's novel An Exaltation of Larks was the Grand Prize winner in the 2017 Writer's Digest Awards. Her debut novel The Man I Love won a gold medal in the 2015 Readers' F
More about Suanne Laqueur

Venery (4 books)
  • An Exaltation of Larks (Venery, #1)
  • Tales from Cushman Row (Venery)
  • A Scarcity of Condors (Venery, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be