Start by marking “A Charm of Finches (Venery, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Charm of Finches (Venery, #2)

A Charm of Finches

(Venery #2)

“I swear. Give me one more chance and I will make the most of it.”

Ex-hustler Javier Landes is asking for his third chance at love. The third time proves to be the charm when he meets a Manhattan art therapist named Steffen Finch. What starts as casual and curious deepens into a passionate, soulful relationship—everything Jav has ever wanted, and everything he fears losing.
Published November 1st 2017

Bibi
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
**Spoiler Alert**

There's no contending that Suanne Laqueur was born to write.

First off and undoubtedly, this is how you write M/M romance. Although for me, labelling A Charm of Finches as merely an LGBTI romance seems like a misnomer because what Laqueur has done, is to set the bar so high it makes other books in this sub-genre (with the exception of Captive Prince) seem sophomoric.

Secondly, this book has Jav as one of the main protagonists. Javier Landes aka Javier Gil deSoto. Oh em gee...I lo
Danielle ❤️ Pretty Mess Reading ❤️
******6 STARS******

Unfiltered thoughts here https://wp.me/p7ZSCH-465

I know the scale only goes to 5 STARS but this book is off the fucking charts so I'm going to 6 STARS!

Some stories are important to tell and this is one of them. After reading the first book in this duet I had zero interest in reading book two. I'm not a big fan of M/M books because I can't connect to the romance part of it. What I decided to do was take a step back and figure out why. I figured it out but that's beside the po
Judith
4.5 Stars.

Another powerful and moving story from this highly talented Author.I found this a lot darker than book one and I went through a range of emotions reading it-definitely not always pretty but a story told so well.

This subject matter is harrowing at times and I really commend the Author for not portraying some events in graphic detail and yet still leaving the reader in no doubt about what has happened.Is it better for a reader to visualize events in their own minds? For me,it definitely
Suanne Laqueur
Mar 13, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: wrote

He wanted more ink. Wanted to cover himself in wards and spells and magic. He didn’t mind the pain of being tattooed. It was the vulnerability in taking his shirt off and lying down while the artist worked, together with the intense discomfort. This combination of skin and pain kept him from going back to the tattoo parlor for a long time.

Through the fall, he worked with his trainer at the gym. As his strength built up, his skin got braver, and now he went nearly every weekend to get a new ch
Astrid - The Bookish Sweet Tooth
It's LIVE!

Amazon

Review @ Vanilla & Spice Books

✮✮✮ ALL OF THE STARS ✮✮✮

“I think love is a big wisdom made up of small understandings."

So. This is it. I daresay that this will be my favorite book of 2017 because I can't see how you can top this story. Big words, I know and I'm already taking away the conclusion of my review but what the hell. Bear with me.

Apart from losing his mother at fifteen, Geno was a normal teenager. He has a deep connection with his brother Carlos that only twins ha
Jan
****** 6 Stars ******

I wish English was my first language right now and I wish to have a way with the words.

Alice Archer said beautifully in her review what I couldn't say:

"I had to pause to swoon between doses. I gave every sentence a lingering backward glance, reluctant to move on, even as the story drew me forward with promises of vulnerability and healing, wounds and salve, detail and depth."

Original ramblings SEP/2017

So many feels to gather and emotions to get hold of... trying to make se
Shile
Man is a centaur,
a tangle of flesh and mind,
divine inspiration and dust.

Infinity Stars

description

“Just be prepared not to find love on the first try,” she said. “Love doesn’t always play nice. Love plays games you haven’t had to deal with before. Love is going to serve up a buffet of emotions you neatly avoided for decades.”
“I know,” Jav said. “And love isn’t going to leave me an envelope on the mantel for my troubles.”

Gloria is the best.

WARNING! Gushing I call review.

This is how it is done!!

Have you
Emma Scott
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
NO ONE WRITES LIKE THIS.

I've been trying for a long time to come up with a better opener, or a some sort of all-encompassing statement about this book in particular, but the simple truth is...no one writes like this. I didn't highlight any specific parts of the Finches in order to provide an example because the entire book is quote-worthy. It's a CTR+A situation, but I'll just randomly open it to a page and grab something...

“No,” Jav said. “Why?”
“You’re sighing a lot.”
Stef turned sideways and
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
-Brutally realistic and so beautiful-

Whenever I read one of Mrs.Laqueur's book, I end up just like this...

And I forgive her for making me cry (again) because my god, it was so worth it. She's in my all time Top 5 authors list and can't wait to read more from her... :)

Ps. I highly recommend all books of hers. Trust me, you won't regret for reading it. <3

“You’re the last chapter,” Jav said. “I went from the prologue to you. I skipped everything in the middle and now I’m in love with you and I
James
If there were ever a review that I found difficult to write, it would be for a book written by Suanne Laqueur... simply because she is such a phenomenal writer, and I know I will never do it justice. A Charm of Finches is the second in the Venery series, and the second book I've read from the author to date. While nothing will ever surpass the first one, this comes very close. This is not a book for everyone. It addresses many topics which will be awkward, painful, invasive, and too raw for thos ...more
♥ Jx PinkLady Reviews ♥
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-for-review

A wonderful, wonderful story about friendship, hope, love, trust, fear, courage and so much more. 'A Charm of Finches,' is an exquisite example of storytelling in the field of contemporary fiction. It’s a complex story full of passion for life and love juxtaposed against traumatic thought provoking content. A story that has layers of intelligence, heartache and emotion all weaved into an evocative narrative that engaged my thoughts and convincingly took hold of my heart.

The narrative centres lar
warhawke
Genre: General Fiction/MM Romance
Type: Standalone Book 2 of Venery series
POV: Third Person
Rating:

Javier (Jav) Landes had an existential crisis. After being an escort for years, he was ready to move on and do something for himself. Lucky for him, opportunity came just at the right time.

Steffen (Stef) Finch directed lives on a daily basis. As a therapist, he helped his patients find connections and closure. But he never realized what his own life needed until he got a glimpse of how it could be.

G
SueBee★bring me an alpha!★
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO |

Per Author: “Trust me when I say Jav is being kept very busy in the sequel—he's getting spectacularly laid and meeting a lot of new people.”

Stand-alone, book 2.
LIVE! | AMZ US | AMZ UK | B&N | KOBO |
Blurb:
Geno Caan, an eighteen-year-old survivor of abuse, now heading toward to a future he’s not entirely sure he wants.
Steffen Finch, an art therapist guiding Geno through the destruction of love, while attempting to build a new relationship of his own.
J
Malene
I know that when I read a book by Suanne Laqueur, that I need to prepare myself for something unique and brilliant. This was also the case with A Charm Of Finches. Laqueur is truly a gifted writer and storyteller.
Already at 6% and my emotions were in turmoil. I quickly established a connection with her characters and then there was no way back. I immersed myself in them and their story they had to tell.

Every character I met were deep and complex. Laqueur peels layers off these people meticulous
Mo
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Weird. I literally just finished my review and Lyle Lovett comes on the radio ... I have not heard that song in years...

------------------------------

Not for the faint hearted. My heart broke many times reading this. I feel I have bombarded you enough with updates that my review should be short! Yeah, you heard that one before.

"Do you believe everything happens for a reason?"

I did not read ANY reviews prior to reading this so my review will be quite vag
Hollis
What was one more tragic scene in this story? You piled pain on top of pain and eventually it plateaued out.

A CHARM OF FINCHES is hard to read. Horrific, even, at times. This is a sad, dark, wonderful book. But it's a sad, dark, wonderful book about an important and not-often addressed topic. Laqueur has served up a particular devastation you cannot imagine -- don't want to imagine -- until you dive in head first. She shows us some of the worst of humanity and what they can do to another human b
Robin Hill
I DID NOT WANT THIS BOOK TO END. Geno’s story—heartbreaking and tragic AF—is expertly woven into the perfection that is Stef and Jav. I was a huge Alex fan in An Exaltation of Larks, and I wasn’t sure if Stef could fill his swoony shoes. He did, and then some. Jav was the best version of himself. He grows into his skin, forgives his mistakes (as did I), and allows himself to be vulnerable while falling in love.

Paige
5 “More” Stars

There are not enough stars for this book.

Honestly, I don’t think any review I write will do it justice.

After having devoured the first book in this series, I was beyond excited for Javier continued story. And Ms. Laqueur didn’t disappoint. She actually blew me away in the best way possible. She gave more. Her stellar writing was filled with depth and hope and desire and heartbreak. It was passionate and lovely and tear-inducing. Stef was everything I hoped he’d be — more even. And
Nazanin
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, 2017
4 Stars

"Listen and learn it, learn to tell it, and tell it to teach it."

As Jav said, his relationship with Stef was so easy! I know the point was that but it was too easy! I wish in reality everything was like their relationship! God, someone here is jealous! Before I started the story I thought of it as a complicated one (like the first book and Jav’s relationship/friendship with those two others) but I was wrong! Jav and Stef was so sync with each other! Somehow they were complementary to each
Bookphenomena (Micky)
Deep, dark and beautiful.

A CHARM OF FINCHES has hit me so hard from venturing into the first pages to the last; there is a high emotional price to reading this book but it is worth it. This book has some of the most beautiful writing I’ve encountered in contemporary fiction. It’s not pretty-beautiful but ugly-beautiful and if none of what I say makes sense, then I’m sorry but I am unwilling to spoil a moment of this for potential readers.

This book is set around a context so foul and hideous that
Christelle
**5 +++ stars**
A roller coaster of emotions that deeply resonated for me : this very-well written and evocative life and romance story stirred so many feelings that it will stay in my mind for quite a long time.

Imo, this is not a standalone and An Exaltation of Larks should be read before (it’s also a beautiful life story including the journey of Jav who plays a huge part in this instalment).

Warnings : there are some topics that can be triggers : abduction and gangrape, child abuse, atrocities
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

‘I know you, he thought, wounded. I see you. I was born tangled with you. We started as one cell before becoming two.’

‘He felt nothing but conviction he was right. This was how it had to be. He knew no other way to survive what couldn’t be understood, other than to have it happen to someone else.’

A Charm of Finches by Suanne Laqueur was a masterpiece which we will never forget, our hearts may never recover but we wouldn’t want them to. We honestly have no words for how intensely overwhelmed we f
Moony Eliver
I’ve been sitting here with my fingers poised over my keyboard for a few minutes. Occasionally I’ve typed a word or two, then deleted. I don’t know how to review this, so I’m starting with that inaneness.

I often begin thinking of my review while I’m reading a book, especially toward the end, wondering what (if anything) I have to say. At 80% of Finches, I thought I wouldn’t write one at all. My thoughts just felt too incoherent, too impossible to put into words.

Then, during the last couple of ho
Dia
All the stars!!!

“Do you believe everything happens for a reason?” “I do,” Jav said. “But not everyone gets the privilege of liking the reason. Of feeling the reason was worth the ordeal or the experience.”

I've finished the first book in this series, An Exaltation of Larks, at 5 AM. I went to sleep thinking I will be able to go to work at 7. I wasn't. I called in sick and I am SO happy that I did, because I was able to dive right into this second book.

I've finished it in one sitting and it's
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰
This is what's known as the quintessential turtle vs. hare buddy read. Annery was the hare and her review is lovely and you should totally read it. I am the turtle who turtled out at 18% for close to two weeks.

Annery said to push through, that it would be alright, but I was skeptical and I needed a minute or a couple of weeks. Whichever.

"Do you believe everything happens for a reason?"

"I do," Have said. "But not everyone gets the privilege of liking the reason. Of feeling the reason was worth t
Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️
5 “Amor”Stars

The Art of Storytelling......Suanne Laqueur has the magic touch. Telling the story of characters and how they weave into each other’s life is done with the greatest of ease at her fingertips. Multiple characters, multiple storylines that all eventually intersect with beauty and grace. Love, Sexuality, Fears, Secrets, Lies, Hope, Sadness, Unthinkable Horrors, and Unimaginable Connections.....this book, this storytelling within storytelling penetrates deep within your emotions to full
Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"
1000 stars just because I can

‘Third time’s the charm, right?’ And he said, ‘A group of finches is called a charm.’”

Well it really is my third attempt at writing this review so this quote could not be more appropriate!

This book was like being hit by an enormous emotional wave!

The story began on a huge “bang!” and I was panting, heart galloping like a wild horse inside my rib cage. I was having a panic attack. I WAS Geronimo and I wanted someone anyone to come save me. It was the wors
Holly
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-read, fiction

Well, this book ripped my heart out, stomped on it, and then put it back into my chest. This book is emotionally exhausting. I highly recommend it. You do have to read the first book in this series though (which I also recommend and although it is pretty much nothing like this book, it is also wonderful). This book absolutely deserves it's current 4.78 avg rating, and I went ahead and put this series on my 'favorite series' shelf. I'll definitely be re-reading in the future.

Oh and this
Ariana
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ariana by: Jan
*5 stars +++*

Sometimes a book is so good I flow over with words and writing about it comes easily.
But sometimes a book is so good it just leaves me stunned and completely ‘speechless’. ‘A Charm of Finches’ is one of the second variety.

So I slept on it. But tbh, it’s not any better today. I still feel massively overwhelmed. I really loved book 1, but this one just knocked me off my seat and left me emotionally drained – to put it mildly.

@ It’s all the layers and different stories that come tog
CC
4.5 Stars!

description

As we reconnect with Javier “Jav” Landes, he’s at a point in his life where he wants to experience a real relationship. Based on his previous attempts, Jav is intimidated and feels a bit naïve but he’s ready when a certain man’s coordinates converge with his own.

“Give me this chance. Please. Let me love to find out who I really am.”

Steffan “Stef” Finch is an art therapist to abused males of all ages. His job is emotionally demanding but Stef has an earnest quality that nurtures an
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Charmed, I'm sure. 1 25 Dec 09, 2016 12:30PM

• The Alpha Heir (Kingdom of Askara, #2)
  • Triumph (Bellator Saga, #6)
  • In the Requiem (Metahuman Files, #5)
  • Enemy Within (The Executive Office #3)
  • Edge of Forever
  • This is me... (I Am Her..., #2)
  • Junkyard Heart (Porthkennack, #7)
  • Still (Grip, #2)
  • The Silver Cord (The Silver Cage, #2)
  • Misguided Truths: Part One (Misjudged, #3)
  • Point of Contact
  • Nova Praetorian
  • Legacy (The Freaks MC, #3)
  • The Wolf at Bay (Big Bad Wolf, #2)
  • Loverboy (Dartmoor, #5)
  • One Week (One Week Series, #1)
  • Michael's Wings (The Original Sinners, #6.3)
A former professional dancer and teacher, Suanne Laqueur went from choreographing music to choreographing words. Her work has been described as "Therapy Fiction," "Emotionally Intelligent Romance" and "Contemporary Train Wreck."

Laqueur's novel An Exaltation of Larks was the Grand Prize winner in the 2017 Writer's Digest Awards. Her debut novel The Man I Love won a gold medal in the 2015 Readers' F

Venery (3 books)
  • An Exaltation of Larks (Venery, #1)
  • A Scarcity of Condors (Venery, #3)
“Keep his heart and eyes open, loving and seeing what happened.” 0 likes