Start by marking “You Asked for Perfect” as Want to Read:
You Asked for Perfect

You Asked for Perfect

Senior Ariel Stone is the perfect college applicant: first chair violin, dedicated community volunteer, and expected valedictorian. He works hard - really hard - to make his life look effortless. A failed Calculus quiz is not part of that plan. Not when he’s number one. Not when his peers can smell weakness like a freshman’s body spray.

Figuring a few all-nighters will pres
Published March 5th 2019 by Sourcebooks Fire

Start your review of You Asked for Perfect
Elle (TheBookishActress)
It was really, really, weird reading a book about the stress of applying to college your senior year only a month after getting into college... my senior year.
"I think of all my classmates, bent over textbooks, shoulders strained under heavy backpacks, eyes hooded from lack of sleep. We’re all in it together, whether we want to be or not."

You Asked For Perfect follows Ariel, a bisexual Jewish boy trying to become class valedictorian and later get into Harvard. BUT: his best friend S
elena
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it

You Asked for Perfect is . . . not perfect at all. But it doesn't aim for it to be it either.

We follow Ariel, our protagonist, who is a bisexual teenager in his senior year of high school. He feels ready for his upcoming Harvard interview, is expected to be valedictorian, remains as first chair violin, and is continuing to dedicate some of his time to the community, but things come
Cristina Monica
I could have used this book a year before applying to college. That year, and the one before actually, I was intensely focused on my studies and cancelled many plans with friends, so many that by the end of the school year, I barely had anyone to say goodbye, good luck to. And I only realized my mistake when I did get into university, went to a few classes and realized that it’s harder to make friends when the teacher lectures and there’s little time to discuss in or between classes. Unless you ...more
C.G. Drews
Look, forget thrillers: come read this book if you want to be stressed out of your entire brain. Seriously, I had to put it down at one point because I was about to start anxiety crying in sync with Ariel. It's such an intense story about the weight school puts on students, the point of making them ill. It reminded me of The Otherlife, although that focused more on mental illness. And I always say a sign of a good book is when you suffer with the narrators so 🤗I'm so glad I read this.

(I'm also g
Larry H
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Before I talk about the many reasons I loved this book, can we discuss that Laura Silverman shares her grandmother's matzo ball soup recipe at the end? I cannot wait to make it because matzo ball soup is one of my favorite things IN THE WORLD.

Okay, I'm done.

"When I signed up for classes freshman year, no one told me that straight As, volunteer hours, and time in the arts aren't enough. No one told me I'd have to know every answer to every test and also be a 'unique individual' followin
chan ☆
Nov 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
no, i asked to feel something

and sadly with this book i didn't feel much. what is it with me reading about guys with mental illness and no character development... i'm just a glutton for punishment.

this book was about ariel who is in his senior year of high school. he's criminally over invested in school and being the perfect student, that he isn't able to really be GOOD at any of it. his relationships with friends, boyfriend, family go up and down throughout the story has he tries to grapple wi
Lily ☁️
2 1/2 stars

From the very second I first laid my eyes on this book, I knew right away that it’s one I absolutely have to do everything in my power to read as soon as possible. Not only is its cover the exact right amount of artistic and emotive; in hindsight, it also perfectly captures the main characters’ inner turmoil, and all the little details that surround the character on the cover depict this book’s aesthetic so well.

What I really appreciated was how Laura Silverman so effortlessly creat
Hamad
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2019-reads
This review and other non-spoilery reviews can be found @The Book Prescription

“I’ve been so busy racing to the finish line, I haven’t thought much about what happens when I cross it.”

🌟 Have you ever read an average book at the perfect time and you liked it very much for that?
That was me and this book. I read it during my last finals in med-school. I am not kidding you, I was like: Why isn’t there a book about the education system and all this stress we’re going through. The NEXT DAY I find th
julianna ➹
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people with anxiety!
me after looking at the cover: wow, amazing
me after looking at the synopsis: wow, amazing
me after reading this book: wow, amazing

I know you’ll be hearing this from every single review ever, but god this book was so freaking relatable. I constantly and always feel the pressure of academics and school and college; the difference is that I’m not succeeding as much as he is. *sighs in failure*

This made me feel so, so much anxiety about school that I honestly had to put it down for a couple of weeks
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always
Y'ALL SHOULD BE EXCITED ABOUT THIS HERE GEM. 💎
💘 It's so fucking relatable. I was (still am?) Ariel, and I empathized so hard with his academic and time-related struggles.
💘 This book wins at diversity. The characters are of different races, religions, and sexualities.
💘 AMIR IS THE SOFTEST LOVE INTEREST EVER CAN I HAVE HIM?
💘 The friend- and family- relationships went through so much development and I reveled in it all.
💘 There's a loooot of Harry Potter references if you're into that. 😉

Full review
Elke
Mar 07, 2018 marked it as to-read
As someone who dropped out of college to preserve my (mental) health and happiness I am so incredibly glad we'll get a book about perfectionism and academic pressure 😭💕

also OH MY GOD why have i never mentioned this cover before i am blown away. can we please? i just want to read this book already. please
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
3 Stars

“How do you know if a goal is worth it until you get it? We work hard for a lot of stuff. Should we not put in effort because the reward might not be what we thought?”

It’s been 84 years since I read this so take this mini-review with a grain of salt

Pros:

- A book that actually addresses the crazy pressure high-school kids are under and the big-decisions we ask them to make
-Own-voices, Jewish representation!
-The romance is cute and they are nerdssss
- There’s a great dynamic between MC
Emma
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it

4.25/5 stars

I loved this book so much. The story it tells is one that I think many students can relate to. This book deals with the pressure people feel to always do a good job in school and to always be the best. Ariel, the main character, is trying to juggle his life and the huge amount of workload the school is putting on him. Having lots of extracurricular activities and being in AP classes se
Karima chermiti
Wow, This book is the real deal, guys. A story that gives you all the feelings, a romance that warms the heart and characters you can connect with and relate to, How can I not love it with all my heart and soul. I only wish it was longer so I can immerse myself in it more and feel more and because I genuinely think the content of the book deserved more space to flourish and to have the emotional punch it could give has it been explored more.

The story revolves around Ariel Stone, a high school b
Fadwa (Word Wonders)
*I received a copy from the publisher in exchange of an honest review*

Actual rating: 4.5 stars

Original review posted on my blog : Word Wonders

Hello this is my love letter so Laura Silverman’s books and how their softness never disappoints. Way back when, I read Girl out of Water and absolutely fell in love with it and the author’s writing, and knew that no matter what she writes next I will gobble and love and I WAS RIGHT, You Asked for Perfect did not disappoint. This book made my heart so fu
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it

After thoroughly enjoying Laura Silverman’s debut, Girl Out of Water, and after chatting with her at a couple book events here in Atlanta, I knew I would pick up anything she published next. And, friends, I’m happy to report that You Asked for Perfect did not disappoint!

In You Asked for Perfect, we follow high school senior Ariel Stone, the golden boy at the top
Romie
a book that deals with academic pressure perfectly? a book that made me feel like being Jewish is totally normal? a book with a bisexual main character who falls for a Muslim boy? a book that shows that loving spending time with your family is completely acceptable? yeah, this book (4.75)
Natasha
Apr 06, 2019 marked it as dnf
This isn't a "this book is bad" dnf, this is more of a "oh hey I'm being reminded of how bad I did academically in high school and am getting actual anxiety". Tried pushing through but I can't handle books that really focus on that kind of stuff.
Vicky Again
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 stars

This book was so cathartic, especially because I just got out of applying and waiting for my college decisions in December! (I got into my first choice mid-December, so I’ve been cruising through senior year ever since!)

I intentionally waited till after decisions came out to read this because I was scared of jinxing things (so scared oh my), and reading this after really let me release some of those feelings I’ve been having about STRESS AND STRESS AND STRESS AND COLLEGE.

Yeah. Fun times.
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: bi Jewish mc, gay Muslim li, Korean-American lesbian side character, Indian-American side character

listen, my own high school experience didn't stress me out as badly as this book did. i'm Exhausted™. i need like a week long nap now.

also, ariel is a disaster bi and i love him with my whole heart

Blog | Twitter | Instagram | Bloglovin | Reads Rainbow
Tiffany (Read By Tiffany)
FULL REVIEW: https://readbytiffany.wordpress.com/2...

Even though we’re only in the second month of 2019, You Asked For Perfect has already made my list of favorite books of the year. I honestly don’t think this review could’ve come at a better timing for me too because I recently just finished what I anticipate to have been the hardest academic week of my semester. I had multiple exams and essays due, and I was constantly studying during my free time. You Asked For Perfect follows Ariel Stone, a
kav (xreadingsolacex)
Disclaimer: I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

hey so who gave Laura Silverman the right to write about all of our lives???

You Asked for Perfect by Laura Silverman is a young-adult contemporary novel that follows the story of Ariel Stone, our Jewish, bisexual protagonist, who feels immense pressure to be the best because the best is what will give him access to the future he wants. While trying to balance the unimaginable workload he has taken upon himself, Ariel is also tryi
Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd)

You Asked For Perfect is an impactful story about stress, anxiety, and self care. It’s easily one of my favorite books I’ve read so far this year. It captivated me with such raw emotion and honesty that I fell head over heels in love.

I basically loved everything about the story . I thought Ariel was so relatable, because I was the same studious AP/Honors student nerd. He goes thro
Marie
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
New favorite book alert. Everything was relatable and I loved these characters so much and that adorable romance and I teared up and I LOVED EVERYTHING ABOUT IT OKAY.

Read my review of You Asked For Perfect on the blog.

Thank you to Sourcebooks Fire for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter - Bloglovin'
Finitha Jose
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
I started reading this hoping for a light-hearted m/m romance and ended up agonising over the slipping grades and lack of time along with Ariel. Oof! So much for a laid back read. The powerful language will suck you into the story within no time and my tension was so apparent that my poor kindle must have reached a breaking point, thanks to the strenuous handgrip.
Romance plays just a subplot here, so I won't advise you to take this for a cute little love story. But this is a must read for all t
nova ryder ☼
this book was pretty good. very enjoyable, a quick read, and painfully relatable (as the cover says). unfortunately, it fell flat in the beginning and parts in the middle. there was a lot of telling and not enough showing. and while it was a cute read, i just had a hard time feeling anything. i wanted it to be more. i wanted to see ariel falling for amir, and not just "oh he likes him now even though they've known each other like their whole lives okay then" we're just supposed to go along with ...more
Eva
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This review comes from the perspective of an overachieving teen Jew. So, as you might expect, I was very excited to have a chance at reading a book that I can see myself so clearly in. For this opportunity, I have to thank the wonderful Vicky Who Reads who provided me the ARC of this lovely novel.

Overall vibes: very spot on. I love contemporary novels, but they universally tend to vastly underestimate the work load of high schoolers. It was refreshing to have a book where we saw the characters d
Sahitya
It’s mostly a 3.5.

I have been excited to read this book for a long time because it seemed so adorable and the kind of YA book I would enjoy. And this was definitely what I was hoping for.

The story is completely told through Ariel’s POV, so we see everything thats going on in his head and that’s not comfortable at all. He is constantly struggling with keeping up his grades and extracurriculars in preparation for his Harvard application and just doesn’t have enough time in the day for managing eve
↠ dan ↞
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
You Asked for Perfect is a (beautiful) book for the stressed, overachieving kids at school who haven't slept in a week and would cry if they got less than perfect grades. And since I'm one of those crazy kids, this book really got to my heart.

Apart from the main character being a bisexual disaster and having breakdowns over one failed test, the book has the cutest relationships: soft boyfriends, supportive families and strong friendships that melted my heart. AND it's got Jewish rep, literall
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
ARC kindly provided by Sourcebooks Fire in exchange for an honest review.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I WENT 18 YEARS WITHOUT READING A BOOK LIKE THIS

• The Gravity of Us
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • The Infinite Noise (The Bright Sessions #1)
  • This Is Kind of an Epic Love Story