Start by marking “4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace” as Want to Read:

4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace

Diagnosed with a rare form of meningitis, fourteen-year-old Aaron Greenburg is paralyzed from head to toe. Doctors believe he is essentially brain dead and unaware of his surroundings, but Aaron is very much aware—trapped in his own mind with no way to communicate.

To cope with his imprisonment, he retreats to an imaginary world called his Mind Palace, but the lines betwee
Published December 9th 2016

Jen Geigle Johnson
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won't add spoilers, so this review can be helpful to those who haven't read it yet, but wow am I happy I could experience some of the awesome surprises at the end. Sometimes reading a book is an experience in and of itself. This book was that for me. And I am a bit changed because of it. Mostly, from the beginning, the characters are what intrigued me. They are distinct and I feel like I know them. The nurse, she sticks with me. She's not a huge character, but wow she is powerful. The story st ...more
Adrienne
Dec 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The two main characters are totally love-able and fun! I loved the complexities of relationships shown throughout the book - it felt real and true.

This is a book I could see my children enjoying as well as my parents.
Erika Winterlia
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Having read the novel SIM 299 by the same author and really loved it, I was intrigued to see he had released another novel. I couldn’t wait to get started even though this was a bit different than the previous novel. In 4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace we follow Aaron, a young boy with a rare form of meningitis. He is paralyzed from head to toe and everyone thinks he’s unable to see or hear what goes on around him. His parents have sent him to be cared for in a sort of retirement home where he ...more
Steve
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'll start by saying that this isn't the typical genre I read. I'm more of a sci-fi/fantasy type. I didn't expect to enjoy the book anywhere near as much as I did.

I really enjoyed the way the interaction between the two main characters was handled, and the way we got to know both of them through that interaction. This book is all about character development, and does a great job of it.
Grady
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“You look like a fella who knows a bit about kindness, forgiveness, and love.”

Author Johan Twiss is a modern day abolitionist who supports the work of anti-human trafficking NGO's worldwide. He is passionate about curbing /stopping human trafficking, writing, speaking, and encouraging others to join in his mission. Of note he also owns the online toy, craft, and handbag store called Playfully Ever After.

The gift of writing a novel about a young lad with a severe brain disease, placed in a nursin
Grant Leishman
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
As a fairly prolific reviewer who reads almost exclusively Indie Authors, a lot of books cross my Kindle over a year. I can honestly say that many of them are the equal or better of the Legacy Authors' books, but every so often a book appears (often out of the blue) that absolutely speaks, as a reader, beyond my mind and touches my heart and even my soul. 4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace by Johan Twiss, is such a book. Unexpectedly, it took me by storm and transported me to a different world, a ...more
Ana C
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 years trapped in my mind palace

Is this amazing fiction story about a 12 years old boy named Aaron Greenberg. He was a regular adventurous kid that enjoy play with he's friends, until he got sick. Unfortunately to him he got this rare case of Cryptococcal Meningitis that got him paralyzed. His brain was full of activity and he couldn't tell anyone. For the doctors he was good as dead. So without options his parents put him in a Senior Care Center.

So after a while he gets a roommate, a senior m
Karen Porter
Apr 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was totally into this book

I really enjoyed this book. I worked as a nurse for 30+ years and have taken care of hundreds of patients in comas . I have also heard of locked in syndrome. I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like too live like that knowing no one knows you are in there. I read this thinking it was real.
Bob Morton
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone
I received a copy of this book of this book for review. What follows is an honest review.

All I can say is WOW!.

Johan Twiss has written a second book that has held me interested till the very end. There is no classification for this book. It has ,a little bit of sci-fi, a little bit of psychology, a little bit of fantasy, a little bit of a lot of things. But all that adds up to make a lot of good.

Our hero, Arron has a rare form of meningitis as a young teen, leaving him paralyzed, and unable t
Crimson
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good-books
This book was fun and entertaining, with a pleasant historical aspect that I hadn’t expected, and is appropriate for everyone. The story was pretty engrossing and all the characters were interesting – I finished it in a single day. Very mild spoilers ahead.

(view spoiler)
Misty
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace by Johan Twiss is a psychological fantasy science fiction novel. 4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace by Johan Twiss follows a fourteen-year-old boy, named Aaron Greenburg, who is diagnosed with a form of meningitis. The rare form of meningitis has left Aaron Greenburg fully paralyzed. The doctors who attend him believe that he is brain dead, but poor Aaron in quite awake, but he is trapped inside his own mind with no way to tell the Doctors. In order to keep his s ...more
Terry Deighton
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved how the author wove the modern experiences with Solomon's past. The premise is compelling, and the execution of the plot brings the reader along without confusion. It was always clear when and where the action was taking place, and in this kind of book, that is no little thing. I loved the banter between Solomon and Aaron and how their relationship developed. The story is a wonderful blend of a coming of age story and historical fiction. The timeline of the dream/flashbacks covered my pa ...more
Romuald Dzemo
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace by Johan Twiss is a mind-blowing story featuring a powerful storyline and compelling characters. It’s the kind of book to put in the same shelf with Before I Go to Sleepby S. J. Watson. This is a story with great psychological depths, one that explores a great conflict lived within the mind. Trapped in his own mind, everyone, including experts in the medical field things that Aaron is brain dead, that he knows nothing happening around him. But they are way far f ...more
Goth Gone Grey
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an enchantingly lovely tale that drew me in entirely. (See also: reasons why not to start reading a book on Sunday night with any expectation of a reasonable amount of sleep before work Monday morning.)

A mix of yesterday and today, old and new, set primarily in a nursing home, this tells the story of a teenager (Aaron) trapped in a coma but aware of his surroundings, and an older man (Solomon) with some signs of dementia who can hear and understand the teen. Aaron dream travels with Solo
Deborah Andreasen
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Breathtaking

Words cannot describe this epic novel. It was fascinating. After the first 5 pages I was already telling people about it, saying, "it's gonna be good, I can tell!" I love being right.

There were so many questions of why and how that just didn't even matter. These characters crawled into my heart and made a themselves at home. I don't want to give them up.

I can't recommend this book enough. It was a clean read, definitely appropriate for mature readers. Not because of explicit content
Rahaf
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't think five stars are enough for this book. It deserves like 1004884653092661001 stars. It's just that magnificent. I have just finished it so I'm still too emotional to actually write are review, but I couldn't not say this, if you're considering reading this book and not sure if you'll like it, just read it, pick it up and read it. I admit the reason I actually picked it was because of the cover and I'm soooooo glad I did. I wish I were famous so I can tell everybody to read. Guys it go ...more
Nati
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow what an amazing story. I'm afraid I can give this book only I've stars because it's one of the best books I've read in a long time. It's the story of Aaron, a fourteen years old, in coma for the last two years and Solomon, a seventy two years old man suffering from dementia. This book is about friendship, family and love and how all of this can help overcome a very difficult situation. You must definitely read it.
Joyce McPherson
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing story for all ages! Twiss spins the story of Aaron, who is paralyzed from a rare form of meningitis but can magically communicate with his new roommate, Solomon, a retired jazz musician in the early stages of dementia. Their journey together touched my heart and made more vivid the history Solomon witnessed over hi s life. This is an encouraging book that reminds us to appreciate the little things in life.
dmay
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read!

I'll admit, I wasn't sure I'd actually be interested in this book since I'm not big on Science Fiction, but it was clean (& free) so I figured, why not?
This was, in fact, a GOODREAD! Solomon and Aaron are a great pair - I found myself thinking about them even while doing housework! The way the storyline weaves drama, history, comedy and Jazz was intriguing and kept me wanting more. I loved it! Thanks Johan- please give us more!!
Emma
Feb 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book as I am interested in ideas around consciousness and the interconnectedness of 'souls' or minds. It could be described as 'heartwarming' except that that suggests something a little too staid for this humorous page turner. The book gives a different take on time traveling and some interesting key moments of the history of the twentieth century.
Kent
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read this twice as a beta reader and loved it. It is a very creative engagement between a paralyzed boy and an elderly man and his granddaughter that is warm, at times exciting (in the flashback's to the man's younger years that the boy is drawn into) and with a surprising and intriguing ending. The author is new but shows great promise with this unique story.
Shannon
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Really a great read. The ebook version needs a tiny bit more editing but not enough to be distracting, just noticeable. Loved the friendship, loved the history. Super engaging from page one to the last word.
Elsbeth
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
5 stars is not enough... Wow, this is really an amazing story! With great characters, time traveling adventures, love, friendship, and lots more. I couldn't put it down.
A story that really touches you in your heart! At least that is what it did to me...
I received a copy and chose to review it.
Cyndy Walker
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Better than I expected

This book is so amazing and written so well. The characters are so deep and for real, believable! I love how history is blended with recent health issues. And the flow of this story went so well. Thank you Johan
Will
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-white-room
Four More Years, Days, Pages

“Sometimes I just wished life could be different”
4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace

From the get-go, this is way more than four, five stars all the way and normally I don’t start with a rating but this is truly an awesome read. Now I’ve read Johan Twiss’s work before and to be honest I felt somewhat pressured to rank him somewhat high but with this work, I would give the guy more stars if I could, talk about having only seen the tip of the iceberg and I wish more book
Tim Gordon
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I read. Quite a bit. But after a fairly amusing tiff between Larry Correia (voted most likely to be assassinated by the Hugo Award committee) and one of those random bloggers on Huffington Post, I realized that I've seriously overlooked Self Published book. This isn't due to any intentional shunning on my part, just that few Self Pub books pop up on my Scribd subscription.

I've decided to correct the error of my ways and, at least for the next few months, steer my content consumption towards the
Connie Huddleston
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes the name of a book or the cover will make me put off reading it - or even refusing. This happened with 4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace. Yet, once I began reading, I was captured by the story. Of course it couldn’t happen, yet I believe in this case it did - it’s fantasy in the real world. Ethan’s story is so real, so believable, yet Solomon’s is as well. Two magnificent characters interacting and taking you to real events and places. Being a history lover, I found the trips into Solo ...more
Dale
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Though this book falls outside of the genres I typically read -- spy novels, police procedurals, mysteries -- I genuinely enjoyed it. I get tired of reading books with flat characters -- a common occurrence in the fiction I read. In contrast, Twiss's book does not suffer from that malady. The author has created two unique protagonists with real depth: Aaron and Solomon. I enjoyed watching their relationship develop. As a college history teacher, I also quite liked the flashbacks into Simon's pas ...more
Judith Blinn Oliver
a brilliantly told story of a timeless friendship. it was hard to reach the end of this story of two men whose friendship covered decades and seeming debility.
Deana Anderberg
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful story. It's heartwarming, tender, and entertaining. I especially enjoyed the juxtaposition of the young boy beginning his life and the elderly man coming to its end, the young boy entombed in a paralyzed body, the older gentleman trapped in a diminishing intellect. Their friendship is enchanting. The little bits of history sprinkled in were done exceptionally well and added to the reader's understanding of the fascinating life of Salomon, the elderly gentleman.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Around the Year i...: 4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace, by Johan Twiss 1 7 Apr 27, 2018 12:24PM
Thank you for the reviews 1 4 Jan 16, 2017 06:57AM

• Past the Size of Dreaming (Red Heart of Memories, #2)
  • The Truth About Fragile Things
  • The Continent of Lies
  • Nothing Matters
  • Cheers to Eternity: Lessons We've Learned on Dating and Marriage
  • Beneath London (Narbondo, #9)
  • Here Comes the Bride: Women, Weddings, and the Marriage Mystique
  • Stuff I Forgot to Tell My Daughter
  • Argos
  • Oceans: The Anthology (Frontiers of Speculative Fiction, #2)
  • Teach Me How to Die
  • Napoleon Xylophone
  • Aries
  • Not Hiding (Parker Siblings, #3)
  • This Above All
  • I Was Told There'd Be Sexbots: Travels through the Future
  • Chopstick (Forever Friends #1)
  • Never Sleep Alone
Dear Brilliant Reader,

Thank you for your interest in my books. I am passionate about writing clean science fiction and fantasy stories that are not only exciting, but suitable for tweens, teens and adults alike.

Have a question? Complaint? Want to send me a gift card to the Cheesecake Factory? Simply reach out to me at my website at www.johantwiss.com/contact

(I can also tell your future at no extra
“Not only was she the most beautiful woman in any room, but she was the kindest, smartest, most talented, and toughest person I ever knew. And I’m a better man for it.” 0 likes
“But, Vietnam is different than my war. We were fighting for freedom back then. This, this war now, I don’t know what we are fighting for. I don’t know what we are sending our kids to die for” 0 likes