Start by marking “What is Unschooling?: Living and Learning without School” as Want to Read:
What is Unschooling?: Living and Learning without School

What is Unschooling?: Living and Learning without School

Children are born curious, creative, and wired to learn--and we value those traits in adults! So why, as our children grow up, do we often insist they change to fit into the education system, where curiosity is replaced by curricula, creativity by conformity, and learning by memorizing?

If you'd rather nurture your children's curiosity, creativity, and love of learning, let
Published December 5th 2016 by Living Joyfully Enterprises

To ask other readers questions about What is Unschooling?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What is Unschooling?

Start your review of What is Unschooling?: Living and Learning without School
Denise Weldon-siviy
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Why and what, but not so big on How

First, I am a mother of four, including two homeschool graduates - all four homeschooled for at least part of their education. We used a modified unschooling approach, essentially following a well defined curricula for mathematics and foreign languages but a child-led approach to most everything else.

Pam does a great job here of explaining the underlying philosophy of unschooling. I loved her pointed comment that just because teaching is going on doesn't mean
Jessica Adams
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"What is Unschooling? Living and Learning without School" is a very interesting book. I am pretty new to homeschooling, and only just started due to a necessity for my two daughters after I broke my leg and could not work. So naturally I started to look for books on how to homeschool. I heard a lot about unschooling and at first thought it was just simply not doing school. That is not the case. This book explains the details about unschooling and how it can work for families. It's basically help ...more
Meredith Henning
Apr 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Unschooling

Good book overall on homeschooling as an unschooler, pretty general but specific and I appreciated her examples and situational observations
Whitney
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I felt the need to write a small review about this book, and wanted to attempt to rate it fairly. In terms of quality, it's a 3. In terms of helpfulness related to the subject, it's a three, regardless of my personal opinions.

If "Unschooling" is a concept you are interested in, this seems like a fine (but very short) primer on the idea of this vs. homeschooling or traditional schooling. With that being said, I don't necessarily agree with the ideals being shared in this book, as I personally th
Migdalia
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

I was looking for books about homeschooling/unschooling and I first came upon Pam's "The Unschooling Journey: A Field Guide" but I wasn't ready for it yet. THIS (What is Unschooling?) was the book I was looking for and I absolutely LOVED it!

It gives you ideas on how to start your unschooling journey, but it really talks about how your life changes completely (for the better) with unschooling. Everything in life is a learning experience, and I couldn't agree more. We are constantly learn
Melissa Grimes
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thinking about unschooling

I found this book very helpful and encouraging. I've known about unschooling for awhile, but was afraid to try it, because I didn't want to mess up my son. Now I feel I have the confidence to go forward and try it. :)
Crystal
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Hmmm

This was a good short informational book. I can see the value in learning through living, but I still see value in curriculum. It is definitely a good book to read if you don't know what unschooling is and you want information.
Rachel
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it
I suspect I still don't understand, or trust, unschooling. This book is an excellent "why to," but I still feel lost. I want a "how to," but I have a feeling that the how is different for everyone, and that's not helping me feel confident.
Abi Mcdowell
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great introduction

I read this as I'm considering unschooling my awesome autistic daughter. This book is very encouraging, and has answered many of my concerns. Definitely worth a read if your child struggles with mainstream school.
Padmanabhan Dev
Jan 21, 2020 rated it liked it
unschooling is really letting your child to go free in search of the inner knowledge base

the book gives a overview on unschooling, could have added certain detailed theories and other stuffs a parent and learner undergoes while unchooling.
Kayley Higgins
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended quick intro to unschooling!

Really enjoyed this quick intro to unschooling! It made me realize how simple unschooling is because it is simply an extension of our lives! I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking into unschooling.
Susan Oram
Mar 20, 2020 rated it liked it
I think it was a good overview of the idea of unschooling. Provided additional material to see if its something to pursue further. Overall, I liked the book, but it did not leave me running out for more information about unschooling.
Kimberly
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Informative

I wanted to learn more about unschooling as I'm going back and forth about whether I want to homeschool or unschool my child. Thanks for this informative read!
Liz Simbi
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great read if you are curious about unschooling.
Hayley Harman
Apr 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Victoria
Aug 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-education
A short but useful and insightful introduction to unschooling that dispels a lot of the misinformation around it.

Would recommended not only this book but also Pam’s podcast!
Tiffany Stadwick Holbrook
May 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Great beginner book on unschooling and deschooling.
Tina
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great advice

Great advice on family, learning and a positive relationship with your children. It answered quite a few questions I had on unschooling.
LM
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good book

Very helpful information and well organized. I recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn about unschooling. It explains unschooling very well.
Denise
May 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Let them be

The main take a way from this book is to let the unschooled child be. Things will fall in place. Live and learn
Rachel
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great little read

A good little introduction to unschooling with extra material. Love your kids; selflessly and wholly - I think that sums it up.
Diana
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Great introduction!

This is a wonderful quick glimpse into unschooling. I especially liked the "Why not yes?" discussion. Good advice for many areas of life! Having to learn to trust your children is probably the hardest part. But so very important.
Hannah Minton
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Brave Learner: Finding Everyday Magic in Homeschool, Learning, and Life
  • The Call of the Wild and Free: Reclaiming Wonder in Your Child's Education
  • How Children Learn
  • Unschooled: Raising Curious, Well-Educated Children Outside the Conventional Classroom
  • Easy Homeschooling Techniques: The Real How-To Guide
  • Ghosts and Garlands (Charmed & Dangerous #0.5)
  • Valentine's Day at the Café at the End of the Pier (Café at the End of the Pier #1)
  • Swept Away (The Larkford Series #1.5)
  • Lawn Boy
  • The Witches Are Coming
  • STEAM: STEM Activities for Christmas
  • Wild West
  • Black Widow: A Sad-Funny Journey Through Grief for People Who Normally Avoid Books with Words Like "Journey" in the Title
  • The Convenient Arrangement
  • The Respiratory System
  • 1984
  • The Haunted House: A True Ghost Story
  • Haunted In Alabama (Truly Paranormal Book 1)
Pam Laricchia is a long-time unschooling mom from Ontario, Canada whose three children left school mid-year back in 2002. She loves exploring unschooling and sharing the fascinating things she’s discovered along the way about learning and parenting.

Pam’s articles have been published in Toronto Life magazine, The Natural Parent Magazine, Life Learning Magazine, The Homeschooler, and the peer-review