Start by marking “A Mind At Home With Itself: How Asking Four Questions Can Free Your Mind, Open Your Heart, and Turn Your World Around” as Want to Read:

‘Very illuminating…on the cutting edge of current biological research’ Jon Kabat-Zinn

In A Mind At Home With Itself (her first full-length book since 2007), Byron Katie explains that emotions such as sadness, anger and resentment come from believing our stressful thoughts. When we learn to question the thoughts, they lose their power. And when this happens, our minds are fr
Published September 16th 2017 by Harper Collins (first published September 7th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about A Mind At Home With Itself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mind At Home With Itself

Start your review of A Mind At Home With Itself: How Asking Four Questions Can Free Your Mind, Open Your Heart, and Turn Your World Around
William Arsenis
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, spiritual
This is one of the deepest books by Byron Katie.

She uses personal examples from her experiences, opening up like never before.

If you’re new to The Work (Katie’s technique—four questions and a turnaround), I wouldn’t necessarily recommend starting off with A MIND AT HOME WITH ITSELF.

As far as non-dual teachings go, Katie is about as radical as they come, with the exception, perhaps, of Tony Parsons.

What I love about Katie is that she provides more than some theoretical discussion on non-duality
Nancy
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Uuuuuu. This one didn't hold water for me, alas. Because Loving What Is turned my world inside out. Perhaps because that was the first time I'd given letting-something-be-itself some thoughtful attention. This, however, feels like an effort to keep her good name in print. I tried to find the Diamond Sutra relevant, but no dice big time. (The introductory chapters are almost an apology for the whole book and the irrelevance of the Diamond Sutra. heh.) Also: with her earlier books you always have ...more
Walter Weston
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I struggle with this one. On one hand, I disagree with the idea that nothing exists. I believe in universal truth-that things exist. But on the other hand, so much of reality is interpreted through the lense of our mind. The glass is either half full or half empty. The four questions seem like an extremely important way to determine what thoughts are stressing you out. I have used these questions a few times in my life since picking up this book and found it immensely helpful. So it’s odd but ev ...more
Jabberwocky
Jan 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Terrible book. A depressed, psychotic woman goes full-on dissociative fugue, and now suddenly she’s an enlightened Buddhist master? If she had a profound spiritual experience, then fine, tell me about your unique experience. But to pretend that she suddenly “awakened” to the hipster paradigm of eastern non-dualism, is just stupid. It’s cultural appropriation at its finest. You can disregard anything this author writes as one more piece in a long line of unoriginal, new age, pop-psych, faux-easte ...more
Judith Phillips
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve read a couple of Byron Katie’s books, and they made so much sense but not this one!
It felt a bit like the Emperors New Clothes, I was supposed to find great meaning, in fact I read it twice but most of it was incomprehensible and rambling.
Reading it for the second time it became clear to me that in her great distress in 1985 Byron Katie actually suffered such a huge breakdown she woke up with amnesia which explains why she didn’t know her husband and children and had no idea of her identi
Marilyn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Byron Katie shares with her readers her enlightenment and how four questions changed her life forever. It is so much more than just another book on mindfulness and I would just like to give the best compliment I could....the fact that so much of the writing was important enough for me to highlight.
She shows how we have to look at things and people in our lives from the perspective of the need to question things in our lives....that suffering comes either from being trapped in a painful past or a
John Bravo
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
The author may very well be “enlightened”, but I found that she spoke in circles in this book. Repeating “nothing exists”, “You and I are in fact one” does not allow the reader to actually experience this truth.

I know that many have found her teachings helpful. What it may amount to is personal preference.

If you like the teaching style of Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, or Gangaji then this particular book may not be for you. If you like Krishnamurti then it might be.
Suzanne
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
Apparently the author experienced a breakdown resulting in her belief that she now has Buddha-like qualities to share with the multitudes. Co-author has transcribed her work with others, allowing her to reach even more people than she previously thought possible. This was not the book I thought I was reviewing; I was disappointed and did not finish.
jimstoic
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ultimate-reality
When I keep Byron Katie audio books on rotation in my car, I'm a happier person. They remind me of the joy inherent in embracing reality. Instead of muttering "Why is this #@%& person driving 55 in the left lane!?" I accept that it's time for me to slow down for a bit. I remember the times that I was the out-of-towner driving slower than others would like, and I feel affection for the person driving the car that's making me slow down.

This book consists of passages from the Diamond Sutra, read by
Shaun
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Terrible. The introductory chapters made me not even want to read the book. They are full of excuses from the coauthor and frankly make very little sense as to why they even exist???. I think that her 4 questions are great...but the nonsensical quotes and statements were too much of a turn off for this science-minded Buddha loving gal! It actually made me question the validity of Byron Katie’s experience. Maybe she just figured out a good way to tap into the right market at the right time...I fi ...more
Heather
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of "The work". I have loved Katie's previous books and have found her process of four questions and turn arounds to be an incredibly helpful tool for analyzing and disproving painful thoughts and feelings. This book however often left me scratching my head and wondering "what the heck was she just trying to say?"
Jodie Gale
I attended The Work weekend retreat many years ago and found the 4 questions quite useful in my personal and professional life. However, this is my first Byron Katie book and I really didn't enjoy it.
David
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
I enjoy reading books about mysterious happening, psychic phenomenon, and the unexplained. I don't necessarily believe these things (hey, I'm an engineer) but concede that somethings have to make you wonder. I thought that A Mind At Home With Itself: How Asking Four Questions Can Free Your Mind, Open Your Heart, and Turn Your World Around by Byron Katie would be an interesting addition to my readings but, sadly, I was disappointed. I'm not sure what occurred whether physical or mental breakdown ...more
Felicia Tripodi
Jul 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
I first heard about this woman from someone who attended her workshop last year. I was in the mist of my depression when I decided to order this book right around my birthday. I still cannot fathom the garbage that came out of this woman's mouth: A tiny little bug suddenly makes her depression go away. She turned into this new person who forgets everything around her, especially her husband and kids. She didn't understand what a soul was, which is something that an atheist would say rather than ...more
Linda
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get into it at all ---- concept was way above what my feeble brain could wrap itself around. Never finished it -- just took it back to the library.
Hansel
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Often we forget about reality and got caught up in dreams. The Work of Byron Katie helps us to relax and get back in touch with reality when we need it.
Jim Hussey
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved that Katie is going deeper into "enlightenment" and freedom. More good examples of The Work in action and also Katie's experience of Waking up in Barstow.

I will read this again, Or more likely, listed to the audio book again. Inspirational.
Paula
Guess it's the wrong time for this book for me. I forced myself to get 20% of the way through it, but it seemed she was saying the same things over and Over and OVER and it was going in one ear and out the other. It felt pretentious and overly philosophical in an - ahem - boring kind of way. The Work, I guess, is not for me at this time.
Kristine Rodriguez
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
I could not get past the first few chapters. Disjointed, simplistic--this book simply did not resonate or read well. And I'm disappointed, as it's my first Byron Katie book and I'd heard such good things about her writing.
Aly
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Incredible! Thank you, Byron Katie for sharing The Work with the world. I don't know what life would be like without it!
Heather Larcombe
Dec 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Directions on how to be a doormat disguised as Buddhist teachings.
Elizabeth
Some good ideas wrapped in insanity.
Errin Weisman
Mar 04, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it's just me but I couldn't even follow her train of thought even as the co-author is interpreting. Continually while reading, I'm thinking, "is she manic or schizoaffective?!?!" :/
Erin
Sep 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love 'the work' and the appendix is great. While I loved the examples of the work and some of the other concepts shared, I had a difficult time connecting with the broader book.
Daisy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book straight after reading "Loving What Is" and was still none the wiser as to some of my deeper questions, such as - when does common sense come in, where do we draw the line? She actually gave away her house to a near stranger - as if any of us could do that! And her husband signed the papers. She also refers to her ex husband a lot, and uses his 'work' as a feature quite a few times, but doesn't explain how he came to be an ex; this experience may have helped a lot of readers. Li ...more
Mindy
Jan 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is difficult to understand and grasp for the mind that identify things. I prefer her other book, “A Thousand Names for Joy: Living in Harmony with the Way Things are.”

It is good to know about Byron Katie’s view and interpretation of the Diamond Sutra.

I believe the next time I read this book, I would see and understand more.

The cause of our suffering is believing our thoughts, our stories. Thoughts are the cause. Emotions are the effects.

To sum it up, we don’t see things and people for
Tin Mayer
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Renee
This is a review of the audio edition: Narrated perfectly by the author with assistance from a male and female reader who help play the roll of students, asking and responding to questions. I’ll be honest, some parts of the work I’m not mature enough to grasp yet but I meditate on the meanings often. What’s real for example... I have glimpses of the truth but suppose I am too invested in the lies we apply to non existent (even though you can see touch smell them) things that I can’t hold the tru ...more
Simone Pedroso
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this book very slowly, enchanted with the messages. Every time a bell rang inside me and the feeling of “that’s it” wrapped me like a warm blanket, I closed the book and turned to sleep. I slept soundly ever since reading one chapter every night.

Katie has a special super-power: she speaks to your soul, bypassing all mind, intellect and memory layers. It goes deep. What she says is more than the sutra itself and yet, less than complicated explanations for information that is already within
Sue Hartman
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious adventure with Byron Katie, the Buddha, everyones' mind, and Katie's peach-of-a-husband, Stephen Mitchell. Get the audio copy!!!! Katie tells stories of her experiences waking up and learning to communicate to the rest of us still caught in the 'scam' run on this planet. You know, the scam that says that the moon is the moon, and then believes it. Kudos to Stephen who, 'wheedled' these stories out of Katie.
A Mind at Home with Itself, is also a precious guild to doing The Work of Byron
« previous 1 3 next »

• Abundance Now: Amplify Your Life and Achieve Prosperity
  • The Decision: Overcoming Today's BS for Tomorrow's Success
  • Living A Course in Miracles: An Essential Guide to the Classic Text
  • The Surrender Experiment: My Journey into Life's Perfection
  • A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose
  • Mary Magdalene Revealed: The First Apostle, Her Feminist Gospel & the Christianity We Haven't Tried Yet
  • Chakra Healing: A Beginner's Guide to Self-Healing Techniques that Balance the Chakras
  • Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World with the Practice of RAIN
  • Judgment Detox: Release the Beliefs That Hold You Back from Living A Better Life
  • A Walk in the Wood: Meditations on Mindfulness with a Bear Named Pooh
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • The Five Side Effects of Kindness: This Book Will Make You Feel Better, Be Happier  Live Longer
  • Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor
  • The Power Is Within You
  • It's Not Your Money: How to Live Fully from Divine Abundance
  • The Light Between Us: Stories From Heaven, Lessons for the Living
  • Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
Byron Kathleen Mitchell, better known as Byron Katie, is an American speaker, writer, and founder of a method of self-inquiry called The Work of Byron Katie or simply The Work.

Katie became severely depressed in her early thirties. She was a businesswoman and mother who lived in Barstow, a small town in the high desert of southern California. For nearly a decade she spiraled down into paranoia, rag

News & Interviews

“I already please everyone, and I already have everyone’s approval, though I don’t expect them to realize it yet.” 2 likes
“Hurt feelings or discomfort of any kind cannot be caused by another person. No one outside you can hurt you. That’s not possible. Only when you believe a story about them can you be hurt. So you’re the one who’s hurting yourself. This is very good news, because it means that you don’t have to get someone else to stop hurting you or to change in any way. You’re the one who can stop hurting you. You’re the only one.” 1 likes