Start by marking “A Mind At Home With Itself: How Asking Four Questions Can Free Your Mind, Open Your Heart, and Turn Your World Around” as Want to Read:

‘Very illuminating…on the cutting edge of current biological research’ Jon Kabat-Zinn

In A Mind At Home With Itself (her first full-length book since 2007), Byron Katie explains that emotions such as sadness, anger and resentment come from believing our stressful thoughts. When we learn to question the thoughts, they lose their power. And when this happens, our minds are fr
Published September 16th 2017 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about A Mind At Home With Itself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Mind At Home With Itself

Sarah Lighthipe
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I would give this book ten stars if I could. The Work of Byron Katie saved my life in 2014 (I mean I did) and I've been unraveling ever since. I would consider this an "advanced" Katie book. Probably not the best to start with, but for die-hards like myself it's just the meat that we've been craving. This book inspired me to go further in my journey to explore life until I can barely recognize it. I won't pull back just because it's rare that people really "go there"- to that place of complete u ...more
William Arsenis
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, spiritual
This is one of the deepest books by Byron Katie.

She uses personal examples from her experiences, opening up like never before.

If you’re new to The Work (Katie’s technique—four questions and a turnaround), I wouldn’t necessarily recommend starting off with A MIND AT HOME WITH ITSELF.

As far as non-dual teachings go, Katie is about as radical as they come, with the exception, perhaps, of Tony Parsons.

What I love about Katie is that she provides more than some theoretical discussion on non-duality
Nancy
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Uuuuuu. This one didn't hold water for me, alas. Because Loving What Is turned my world inside out. Perhaps because that was the first time I'd given letting-something-be-itself some thoughtful attention. This, however, feels like an effort to keep her good name in print. I tried to find the Diamond Sutra relevant, but no dice big time. (The introductory chapters are almost an apology for the whole book and the irrelevance of the Diamond Sutra. heh.) Also: with her earlier books you always have ...more
Marilyn
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Byron Katie shares with her readers her enlightenment and how four questions changed her life forever. It is so much more than just another book on mindfulness and I would just like to give the best compliment I could....the fact that so much of the writing was important enough for me to highlight.
She shows how we have to look at things and people in our lives from the perspective of the need to question things in our lives....that suffering comes either from being trapped in a painful past or a
Walter Weston
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I struggle with this one. On one hand, I disagree with the idea that nothing exists. I believe in universal truth-that things exist. But on the other hand, so much of reality is interpreted through the lense of our mind. The glass is either half full or half empty. The four questions seem like an extremely important way to determine what thoughts are stressing you out. I have used these questions a few times in my life since picking up this book and found it immensely helpful. So it’s odd but ev ...more
jimstoic
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ultimate-reality
When I keep Byron Katie audio books on rotation in my car, I'm a happier person. They remind me of the joy inherent in embracing reality. Instead of muttering "Why is this #@%& person driving 55 in the left lane!?" I accept that it's time for me to slow down for a bit. I remember the times that I was the out-of-towner driving slower than others would like, and I feel affection for the person driving the car that's making me slow down.

This book consists of passages from the Diamond Sutra, rea
John Bravo
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
The author may very well be “enlightened”, but I found that she spoke in circles in this book. Repeating “nothing exists”, “You and I are in fact one” does not allow the reader to actually experience this truth.

I know that many have found her teachings helpful. What it may amount to is personal preference.

If you like the teaching style of Eckhart Tolle, Adyashanti, or Gangaji then this particular book may not be for you. If you like Krishnamurti then it might be.
Heather
Feb 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a big fan of "The work". I have loved Katie's previous books and have found her process of four questions and turn arounds to be an incredibly helpful tool for analyzing and disproving painful thoughts and feelings. This book however often left me scratching my head and wondering "what the heck was she just trying to say?"
Suzanne
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir
Apparently the author experienced a breakdown resulting in her belief that she now has Buddha-like qualities to share with the multitudes. Co-author has transcribed her work with others, allowing her to reach even more people than she previously thought possible. This was not the book I thought I was reviewing; I was disappointed and did not finish.
Judith Phillips
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
I’ve read a couple of Byron Katie’s books, and they made so much sense but not this one!
It felt a bit like the Emperors New Clothes, I was supposed to find great meaning, in fact I read it twice but most of it was incomprehensible and rambling.
Reading it for the second time it became clear to me that in her great distress in 1985 Byron Katie actually suffered such a huge breakdown she woke up with amnesia which explains why she didn’t know her husband and children and had no idea of her identi
Jim Hussey
Oct 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved that Katie is going deeper into "enlightenment" and freedom. More good examples of The Work in action and also Katie's experience of Waking up in Barstow.

I will read this again, Or more likely, listed to the audio book again. Inspirational.
Linda
Feb 20, 2018 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get into it at all ---- concept was way above what my feeble brain could wrap itself around. Never finished it -- just took it back to the library.
Daisy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this book straight after reading "Loving What Is" and was still none the wiser as to some of my deeper questions, such as - when does common sense come in, where do we draw the line? She actually gave away her house to a near stranger - as if any of us could do that! And her husband signed the papers. She also refers to her ex husband a lot, and uses his 'work' as a feature quite a few times, but doesn't explain how he came to be an ex; this experience may have helped a lot of readers. Li ...more
Renee
This is a review of the audio edition: Narrated perfectly by the author with assistance from a male and female reader who help play the roll of students, asking and responding to questions. I’ll be honest, some parts of the work I’m not mature enough to grasp yet but I meditate on the meanings often. What’s real for example... I have glimpses of the truth but suppose I am too invested in the lies we apply to non existent (even though you can see touch smell them) things that I can’t hold the tru ...more
Shaun
Jul 14, 2018 rated it did not like it
Terrible. The introductory chapters made me not even want to read the book. They are full of excuses from the coauthor and frankly make very little sense as to why they even exist???. I think that her 4 questions are great...but the nonsensical quotes and statements were too much of a turn off for this science-minded Buddha loving gal! It actually made me question the validity of Byron Katie’s experience. Maybe she just figured out a good way to tap into the right market at the right time...I fi ...more
Sue Hartman
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious adventure with Byron Katie, the Buddha, everyones' mind, and Katie's peach-of-a-husband, Stephen Mitchell. Get the audio copy!!!! Katie tells stories of her experiences waking up and learning to communicate to the rest of us still caught in the 'scam' run on this planet. You know, the scam that says that the moon is the moon, and then believes it. Kudos to Stephen who, 'wheedled' these stories out of Katie.
A Mind at Home with Itself, is also a precious guild to doing The Work of Byron
Stephanie
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business-books
Great book that would really help anyone who has anxiety or struggles with life and sees themselves as someone who suffers due to other people. It’s quite deep and I think people should start with a more basic Byron Katie book or the tools on her website. Also the last chapter of the book where the basic use and concepts of “the work” is explained should have been at the start of the book - again for those who may be new to the concepts.
It’s a super straightforward but very effective way to cha
S'hi
Including a new interpretation of the Diamond Sutra, Byron Katie and third husband Stephen Mitchell The Work together in this volume that arose from her sudden realisation of story running her life, and the teaching of the Buddha which parallels her experience. Includes Worksheet and instructions for examining your own situations to unburden your Mind and your Life from stress. Chapters entitled Doing The Work provide insights through the experience of others Katie has helped. Similar cases are ...more
Colette McNeil
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beyond reality but insightful

I find the global philosophy of Byron Katie to be beyond my appreciation. Her explanations of everything is nothing, there is no I or You, nothing exists, and everything is the same nothingness are a bit too esoteric for my liking.
And, I absolutely love her do the Work process to help reduce the stress we are putting on ourselves and live a more peaceful life within our own minds which thereby helps us to relate better to others. Wonderful!
Paula
Guess it's the wrong time for this book for me. I forced myself to get 20% of the way through it, but it seemed she was saying the same things over and Over and OVER and it was going in one ear and out the other. It felt pretentious and overly philosophical in an - ahem - boring kind of way. The Work, I guess, is not for me at this time.
Tracy
I struggled with this book and am still contemplating & digesting the message. Parts of it resonated and parts were just beyond my grasp. I will say that it has helped me reframe my notion of what is “true” about myself and others. I’ll continue to listen to Katie’s podcast and may try more of her books in the future.
Christina Wooff
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book.

At first, I didn't know where Katie was coming from. I was very confused. As I read the book more, I understood what the writing meant. I understood that I am not who I truly am on this plane of existence. My thoughts are not who I really am. That is what I got our if reading this.
Robert
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm a fan of Byron Katie and enjoy hearing all the ways she relates her experiences. In this case, she uses a summary of the Buddha's Diamond Sutra as her muse, describing each piece from her own perspective. Along the way, she reiterates her timeless statements related to loving what is, not arguing with reality, and enjoying the ride.

Highly recommend.
Shelli
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Katie's work always brings me healing. The four questions and the turnarounds help me let go of unhealthy and unloving thoughts. I went to a book-signing she did here in Oregon, and the light, peace, and clarity she carries with her is palpable. She's a remarkable soul.
Massanutten Regional Library
Eve, Elkton patron, July 2018, 4 stars:

Katie brings her heartfelt spiritual wisdom into a discussion of the Diamond Sutra in a book co-written with her husband. Thoughtful, insightful, and lots of takeaways for how live a more connected, loving and compassionate life.
Tomas
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is an eye opener. Some of the material can seem a bit esoteric and not so easy to grasp. The main contents of the book - The work - with explanations are very useful and can help sorting thoughts.
Overall - I liked this book.
Kristine Rodriguez
Apr 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
I could not get past the first few chapters. Disjointed, simplistic--this book simply did not resonate or read well. And I'm disappointed, as it's my first Byron Katie book and I'd heard such good things about her writing.
Jodie Gale
I attended The Work weekend retreat many years ago and found the 4 questions quite useful in my personal and professional life. However, this is my first Byron Katie book and I really didn't enjoy it. I found myself questioning her back story.
Janyelle Huff
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Insightful !

This is a many times read. Slow and steady. Love the insight and alignment it brings to my life. Thank you.
Elizabeth
Some good ideas wrapped in insanity.
  • The Secret Door to Success
  • Be What You Wish
  • Aging as a Spiritual Practice: A Contemplative Guide to Growing Older and Wiser
  • The Overcoming Life
  • Inside the Now: Meditations on Time
  • Secular Buddhism: Imagining the Dharma in an Uncertain World
  • The Buddhist Path to Simplicity: Spiritual Practice in Everyday Life
  • Mindful Aging: Embracing Your Life After 50 to Find Fulfillment, Purpose, and Joy
  • The Force of Kindness: Change Your Life with Love & Compassion
  • Love Hurts: Buddhist Advice for the Heartbroken
  • The Smell of Rain on Dust: Grief and Praise
  • The Path To Awakening: How Buddhism's Seven Points of Mind Training Can Lead You to a Life of Enlightenment and Happiness
  • The 12-Step Buddhist: Enhance Recovery from Any Addiction
  • From Plagues to Miracles: The Transformational Journey of Exodus, from the Slavery of Ego to the Promised Land of Spirit
  • Freedom Is Your Nature: A Practical Guide to Inner Transformation
  • Spontaneous Awakening
  • The Unbelievable Happiness of What Is: Beyond Belief to Love, Fulfillment, and Spiritual Awakening
  • 365 Science of Mind: A Year of Daily Wisdom From Ernest Holmes
Byron Kathleen Mitchell, better known as Byron Katie, is an American speaker, writer, and founder of a method of self-inquiry called The Work of Byron Katie or simply The Work.

Katie became severely depressed in her early thirties. She was a businesswoman and mother who lived in Barstow, a small town in the high desert of southern California. For nearly a decade she spiraled down into paranoia, rag
“I already please everyone, and I already have everyone’s approval, though I don’t expect them to realize it yet.” 2 likes
“Hurt feelings or discomfort of any kind cannot be caused by another person. No one outside you can hurt you. That’s not possible. Only when you believe a story about them can you be hurt. So you’re the one who’s hurting yourself. This is very good news, because it means that you don’t have to get someone else to stop hurting you or to change in any way. You’re the one who can stop hurting you. You’re the only one.” 1 likes