Start by marking “Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life” as Want to Read:
Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life

Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  37,375 ratings  ·  3,364 reviews
Bring meaning and joy to all your days with the internationally bestselling guide to ikigai.

According to the Japanese, everyone has an ikigai – a reason for living. And according to the residents of the Japanese island of Okinawa – the world’s longest-living people – finding it is the key to a happier and longer life.

Inspiring and soothing, this book will bring you closer
Published September 7th 2017 by Penguin Random House (first published April 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Ikigai, please sign up.
Marcelo Galuppo This is not addressed by the authors, but I think you misunderstood their intention. They discuss how people from Okinawa achieve a very old age (abou…moreThis is not addressed by the authors, but I think you misunderstood their intention. They discuss how people from Okinawa achieve a very old age (about 90 years old) through alimentation, exercise and, sure, Ikigai (something that connects one`s mission, profession, vocation and activity). I think it is irrelevant that most suicides take place in Japan (Okinawa isn`t quite Japan). The question is why the most old people are from Okinawa.(less)

·  37,375 ratings  ·  3,364 reviews

Start your review of Ikigai: The Japanese secret to a long and happy life
Chris Chester
Sep 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I kind of feel bad panning this book, because I think helping people find their ikigai -- or their purpose in life -- is a worthwhile goal.

The problem is, I have to think that the author and his publisher know that this book doesn't come anywhere close to achieving that goal.

Instead, this book is a jumbled mess. It borrows heavily from the work of others, from Victor Frankl to the guys studying flow states, slaps on a thin veneer of received wisdom from Japanese octogenarians and attempts to pas
BookishDubai
This book has nothing to do with Ikigai. Honestly it should've been titled How to Live a Long Life like an Okinawan.

Gabriela
Oct 01, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could live with the fact that every idea about the Western approach to finding a purpose in life is taken from Frankl, Taleb and a few others. With no personal contribution from the authors. But to claim that you interviewed 100 people from Okinawa and to present your readers with no more than 5 pages of random (and in no way revealing, profound or even interesting) quotes from these interviews...that is just disrespectful. To the reader and to the interviewees.
Muhammad Abdullah
Bring meaning and joy to every day with ikigai.

IKIGAI is a distinguish read for me. I learn a lot of things from this book. This book is about the life and culture of the people living at Okinawa island in Japan. This island is famous for the longevity of its people. There are almost 22.55 people over the age of 100 for every 100,000 inhabitants—which is far more the the global average.

This book is categorized into NINE short chapters, each with its unique and profound nature. In these chapter
Bharath
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of things going for it - it is concise, packages best known & appreciated theories on a long life & happiness and provides examples from Japan on a fulfilling life.

Ikigai is the Japanese concept of a purposeful life where what you love, are good at intersects with what the world really needs and is willing to pay for making it a winning combination which you as an individual enjoy pursuing. The authors start with Logotherapy pioneered by Victor Frankl, who after a painful per
7jane
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
The book's title is a little misleading: while it does talk about ikigai, it also talks about what things are connected to it, and the main point is on having a long, happy, healthy(ish) life, as seen from the (mostly) Okinawan way of life. The authors traveled to Ogimi, which is in Okinawa, Japan, and spent time there interviewing and observing the oldest people, who all seemed to have this ikigai (the reason to get up in the morning), a joy of life and very active daily activities.

The chapters
Nadia King
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I literally inhaled this book. Ikigai is a beautiful book about Japanese culture and discusses the secret to a long and happy life. If you're interested in Japanese culture and self-development this gorgeous book is for you. Just reading this had a calm and centering effect on me. "Happiness is always determined by your heart." 💙 ...more
Jasmin Martin
May 23, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I expected more but this book disappoints. It doesnt seem to follow a clear thread but rather jumps randomly around from one fact to another (which the authors thought relevant) such as stress and what it does to the body, and then short profiles on some of the longest lived persons on the planet. These don't have much to do with the Ogimi folk of Okinawa that the researchers were going to visit and interview. I though they were going to write about them and their entire time spent with them, bu ...more
Aesaan
Sep 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Life is not a problem to be solved, just remember to have something that keeps you busy doing what you love while being surrounded by the people who love you."
Ikigai is a beautiful little read about the simple ways of life and the peace of mind. About happiness, appreciation and connecting with nature. If you are looking for some great revelation after reading this little book, then just know... it's not happening. It's only meant to slow you down, rethink, focus, and live a long ha
Helen
May 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh. It's really just a recap of The Blue Zones of Happiness with emphasis on the Okinawa aspect. The quote I find most disconcerting, after reading the entire book, is "There is no perfect strategy to connecting with our ikigai"....but (what we learn from the Okinawans) is "don't worry too much about finding it." But then, in the next and final page, they say, "if you don't know what your ikigai is yet, as Viktor Frankl says, your mission is to discover it."
So which is it? And aside from exerci
bookish.bulletin
The below review is as on https://thebookishbulletin.wordpress....

Having read a good number of self-help books in the past and not being too inspired by any of them, I was kind of reluctant to pick this one up. But there was something so soothing and inviting about the cover-the depiction of Japanese cherry blossoms because of which I decided that maybe it was worth a shot. Believe me, I was not disappointed.

Ikigai is a treasure trove of life’s secrets. It posits a series of precise and workable
Saipriya
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm glad to complete my 2020 with such a great book. It didn't really make me feel like I was reading a self-help book it was more like I was reading about Japanese culture. And, now I want to visit Japan. Well, maybe after this COVID is done 😷

It's so inspiring how people in Japan and Okinawa's centenarians live their life. How they are so active both mentally and physically even after they have lived 100 years by following their ikigai. I liked all the chapters, especially "Masters of Longevity
Patrick Sherriff
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan
I just got my Japanese pension book in the mail today, but won't be able to use it for a good 20 years yet, so staying alive for a long time suddenly just became a bit more real for me: to get all my pension payments back I'll need to be around for a good 30 more years at least. And the advice presented here seems irrefutable: eat more fruit and veg; drink less alcohol; do a bit of exercise everyday; don't sweat the small stuff; don't sweat the big stuff; hang out with your loved ones everyday; ...more
Alex
Dec 17, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a great fan of non-fiction. But this book was an excellent read. It discusses how the inhabitants of Okinawa, Japan live. What is special about Okinawa? It's the place with the highest number of centenarians in the world. What is their secret to such a long life? This book also discusses the meaning of "ikigai" which kind of translate to 'a purpose to live or the reason why you want to wake up everyday'.

This book is not superficial and the topics discussed make sense and are easy to follow.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Actual rating: 1.5 stars. Because I'm in a good mood today.

Ink&Paper
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, 2021
“Once you discover your Ikigai, pursuing it every day will bring meaning to your life.”

This is my first review of the year 2021. I deliberately chose a book that was highly acclaimed to be something which will give a positive outlook on life. I am a really pessimistic person in general. I always see the negative side of things and tend to be anxious almost everyday. This has affected my confidence, belief and potential deeply. My sole aim for 2021 is to be more happy and positive, and I thi
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. I definitely like the concept of "ikigai" and looked forward to learning more about the concept based on the description this book gave. However, upon finishing this - I felt that some of the advice was helpful, but very generalized and unfocused in this book. You get tidbits of insight on Japanese culture here, but it's more in the eyes of the authors experiencing the culture than it is direct voicing from the culture itself. That's a problem when you're trying to ...more
Louise Garnier
Jan 10, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed. I thought this would be an amazing book but actually it's a mess. I could see what the authors were trying to do but they could have done it in 40 pages or less. There were some contradictory thoughts, not to mention the amount of times the same ideia was repeated over and over. Most of the times the graphics were completely unnecessary, as the text is super simple and easy to understand. Also, the amount of information about techniques and breathing exercises seemed as if t ...more
Siqahiqa
Mixed feelings while reading this book.
I believe the title and content is not matched. About 30% for the secret of Japanese people. The rest is all about other research findings. Nonetheless, this book makes me more understand and know about some concept even though it was not related to Japanese such as Logotherapy.

Should read Epilogue only then. Overhyped. Yes.
Michael
May 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A terrible generic self-help book that doesn’t even remotely touch on Ikigai and Japanese living. You get way more out of reading the back cover (the back blurb and diagram is really interesting) than wasting your time attempting this book.
Gergana
Oct 14, 2018 marked it as non-fiction  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Not bad, I also recently read: "The Little Book of Ikigai: The Essential Japanese Way to Find Your Purpose in Life". However, to be completely frank, I found neither of these two books to be that useful nor interesting. Yep...

Without reading the official description of Ikigai, what I understood from both of these books is that you need to find a purpose in your life, you need to eat like a Japanese person, exercise, be grateful, be content with what you have and find happiness in every minor t
Neha More
DNF @ 35%
Chris
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life

Ikigai is a Japanese concept that means "a reason for being." It is similar to the French phrase Raison d'être. Everyone, according to Japanese culture, has an ikigai. Finding it requires a deep and often lengthy search of self. Such a search is important to the cultural belief that discovering one's ikigai brings satisfaction and meaning to life. Examples include work, hobbies and raising children.
The term ikigai compounds two Japanese words:
Chintan Panchamia
I'm opposed to reading non-fiction for the reason that I find it often to be without any artistic significance. It to me does not speak of extraordinarily hard work for some straightforward reasons like, they just had to write about their own experiences & (usually) achievements they are unapologetically proud of. I can find the same lessons in world history, where the world was not so divisive and fractional, thus making the learning and the moral of the story much more evident than a book abou ...more
Nanya Srivastava
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ikigai: the sweet spot where passion meets profession meets mission meets vocation.

This book isn't about how you can find your ikigai , even though it does offer a few tips on finding your "flow" and maintaining it. This book is primarily about longevity, and contributing factors. So, do not pick it up if you think it will help you discover meaning in life.

The district of Okinawa in Japan has the highest life expectancy in the world. Apart from diet and exercise (both of which have a chapter de
Ankit Garg
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life is a self-help book that focuses on increasing the life span of an individual by suggesting us to find our life's purpose, or Ikigai, as the Japanese call it. The book does not really guide us on the ways to achieve the same, and this is where I think it lacks in the subject matter.

Other than that, it focuses on the people of Okinawa and their daily rituals which guides them towards longevity, and presents the same in easy to understand-and-fo
Rajarshi Chatterjee
Sep 17, 2020 rated it liked it
This book is not Ikigai but foundations on which Ikigai is pillared. For a nascent reader like me, I caught up with very many ideas. From Mihaly's 'flow' to Victor E. Frankl's 'logotherapy' to the Buddhist mantra of 'om mani padme hum' to Taleb's 'antifragility' to eventually thinking how to find my personal Ikigai. In the present world of isolation and self-loathing this book is a worthy food for self-reflection.

Ikigai is actually the intersection of a person's passion-profession-vocation-miss
SSC
Oct 03, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a short book with a mismash of ideas starting about finding one's purpose and how keeping active, having a social life within a community and having light work is the secret to longevity. However there was nothing new or insightful here, and towards the second half of the book there was just a description of different exercise forms e.g. tai chi, yoga; a weird section on NNT's book and concept Antifragile, and some quotes from centegerians on their secret to success.

There are better boo
Farhan Khalid
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, japan, self-help
Okinawa holds first place among the world’s Blue Zones

Okinawa is an island, South of mainland Japan, containing some of the world’s longest-living humans

Okinawa is known for its slow paced life

They are relaxed and enjoy all that they do. They celebrate all the time, even little things

In Japanese, ikigai is written by combining the symbols that mean life with to be worthwhile

Translates roughly as the happiness of always being busy

Simply put it means the Reason for Being

Everyone wants to b
Goodreads Librari...: Book description 3 14 Feb 02, 2021 07:37AM

• The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • The 5 AM Club: Own Your Morning. Elevate Your Life
  • Think Like a Monk: Train Your Mind for Peace and Purpose Every Day
  • The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari: A Fable About Fulfilling Your Dreams and Reaching Your Destiny
  • Atomic Habits: An Easy & Proven Way to Build Good Habits & Break Bad Ones
  • The Secret (The Secret, #1)
  • The Alchemist
  • The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
  • The Little Book of Hygge: The Danish Way to Live Well
  • Siddhartha
  • The Art of Happiness
  • Wabi Sabi: Japanese Wisdom for a Perfectly Imperfect Life
See top shelves…
I'm the author of several Japanese culture books: The Magic of Japan, Ikigai the Japanese Secret for a Long and Happy Life, The Book of Ichigo Ichie, Shinrinyoku, The Ikigai Journey and A Geek in Japan.

I LOVE reading and writing.

Autor de los libros sobre cultura japonesa: La Magia de Japón, Ikigai, Ichigo Ichie, Shinrinyoku, Un Geek en Japón.

News & Interviews

We all want to spend more time lost in the pages of great books. That's the idea behind our annual 2021 Goodreads Reading Challenge! It's...
“essentials to happiness in this life are something to do, something to love, and something to hope for.” 34 likes
“Walk slowly and you’ll go far.” 23 likes