Start by marking “The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only” as Want to Read:

Have you noticed-the greater a man's skill, the more he achieves with less? And the skill of strength is no exception. From the ancient days of Greek wrestling, to the jealously guarded secrets of Chinese Kung Fu masters, to the hard men of modern spec ops, warriors and allied strongmen have developed an amazing array of skills for generating inhuman strength.But these ski ...more
Published January 1st 2010 by Dragon Door Publications (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Naked Warrior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Naked Warrior

Daniel H.
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: exercise
This book filled in the gaps of progression of convict conditioning. This book does have a lot of fluff to it but aside from that and repetitive bold "quotes" from that very page the book is pretty golden. The book sets its goal straight off the bat strength training as if you were naked with two exercises that will train your whole body. I feel that the book really deliver on this as well as techniques on how to progress to being able to get to the point of doing it. There is a lot of other inf ...more
Daniel
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Generally when this book comes up, people talk about the one-arm pushup and the one-leg squat (pistol), but the real meat of this book applies to any movement you do:

1. Greasing the Groove
2. Tension Development
3. Power Breathing in Compression

Everything else in the book is just gravy. Nice, but not needed for the book to be spectacular.

Considering the scope and quality (ranging from genius to fluff) of Pavel's work over the years, to say that this is one of his best is really saying something.
John Wiltshire
Nov 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Starting this one today. I'm leaner and fitter now than I was when I left the army as I actually work at it rather than have it just handed to me on a plate as it was then. But I'm always up for a challenge and this looks...well, challenging.
I also want to do my bit to challenge the increasingly vocal minority of people who think that fat is okay, that you can have health at any size. I don't deny that some thin people are unhealthy. Patently they are. I know some. But there are no healthy fat
Strateia8
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Strateia8 by: strateia8@hotmail.com
For anyone interested in strength training, this is a must-read. The principles learned through Pavel's program here really do work; they can be applied beyond the two exercises he covers.

That's right: he covers only two exercises here (one-arm pushups and one-leg squats), but he's chosen those moves carefully. And the benefits are manifold. You will come away appreciating those moves far more, and - even better - you'll be able to get more out of any other move in your strength training reperto
Doc Octagon
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of the premier body weight training guides. This book teaches the correct principles to actually get stronger using body weight exercises. Far superior to this publisher's other book Convict Conditioning. You'll get far stronger doing the one arm push-up/pistol+ pull-ups alongside the principles in this book than you will doing a hundred lower tension movements found in other programs.
Alex Devero
Mar 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health, training
Simplicity and common sense. This is probably the best way to summarize this book, written by a former trainer of Russian special forces Spetsnaz and expert on strength training Pavel Tsatsouline. One of the things I like on this book is that Pavel is not trying to fill it with overly complex routines and training programs. Instead, he shares his 3 main principles for strength training in a very simple and easy to understand way. The same is true about the way Pavel communicates. Don't expect so ...more
Max
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
A-. Overall this book has given me a few gems that have really helped me progress in my strength training, both bodyweight and barbell.

Positives:

As mentioned above. There are a few gems or strength principles that are found in this book that can be applied to both bodyweight training and barbell training. They will improve your strength game and are enough to make this book totally worthwhile. I almost look at this book as theory that should be learned but then applied to a different more effect
Seb T.
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this book years ago, when I was going through a calisthenics craze period of my life.

This book did for my bodyweight strength what Power to the People did for my barbell strength. Increased it dramatically.

Buy this book for the techniques, principles and insights into recruiting strength from your body, and then layer that onto a progressive model like Convict Conditioning.

Naked Warrior + Convict Conditioning paired together will take you far in the calisthenics world.

People complain
Justin
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: exercise
There aren't many body exercises here and the book is not concise. I haven't followed through his suggestions but if he is right it isn't because of his general well rounded brilliance. For example, he speaks badly of slow speed lifting by saying that it is done in gyms with pink weights playing boy band music. While I probably hate boy bands more than he does this is pretty poor argumentation. He should be citing studies or at least trials he's done comparing the two (to be fair he does cite tr ...more
John Scott
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Before I read the book, a one arm one leg push-up was just a push-up, and a single leg squat, just a squat.
After I understood & learned the contents of the book and attended Pavel's Naked Warrior Bodyweight Strength Certification, a push-up was no longer a push-up, a single leg squat, no longer a squat.
Now that I understand the art, a one leg one arm pushup is just a pushup and a single leg squat is just a squat."
-- John Scott Stevens, SFGII, RKC II, CKFMS, SBS
Awisemantoldme
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book. The meticulous principles and techniques written here are golden and I'm sure such technical details will make a big difference in my progress, strenght and health. Although the fact that it only focuses on two major excercices: the one handed pushup and the pistol (one legged squat) is a big dissapointment for me because I personally think there are more essential bodyweight excercices such as: the one handed pullup, the one handed handstand pushup, leg raises and above all, the bri ...more
Tomas
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pavel has been around for ages as a no-nonsense voice of reason in the veritable jungle of modern fitness advice that often focuses on purely esthetic reasons for training.

Although this book has a few years on it, it is still one I come back to over and over again, as I constantly fall into the "latest hotness" in training, only to circle back to the fundamental basics.

If you care about strength, pure strength, and keeping it barebone and simple in the process, then this book is for you. If you
Joe Koennecke
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth reading but not buying. Some of his other books are better but the style is the same. A lot of quotes and forum inserts next to full and half page pictures. The actual meat of the book needs to be maybe 50 pages long with pictures but anyone with some background in strength training could get most of the great points out of 10 pages or less I think.
Thomas Hermanek
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Straight to the Point

Like all of his books, Pavel goes right to the heart of the matter. My advice: sit back, relax and take it all in like a good novel. You’ll come away with plenty of life long knowledge for a happier and more satisfying training experience.
Lucas Assezat
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My strength definitely improved a lot thanks to these tips.
Claudio Noguera
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
reading it is the easy part
Kai
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sports
Writing style is not great and repetitive BUT solid ideas. 3.5 stars. Book could be half its length.
Stefan Bruun
Apr 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: health
Well explained guide through key exercises. The book had a great combination of practice and theory.
Craig
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, health
Clear and concise
Leonel
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a great book overall. I think it could certainly be considered a must-read for both strength training enthusiasts and martial artists alike.
Jared
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the second time that I have read Pavel’s The Naked Warrior, I remember the first time reading it and being blown away, but never actually applying the lessons to my life. I was younger then and more concerned with my size, and of a mindset that more training equaled more strength, that might be true in some cases but it also means more injuries.

I am now almost 30, and I find rereading this book and some of the other Pavel books to just be pure gold, the lessons make more sense to me now,
Vhalros
This book is essentially about how to construct an effective strength regimen with no equipment, using two exercises and their variations: the one legged squat (a pistol), and the one armed push-up. Since most people won't be able to do those right away, he covers a progression that will get you there.

The problem is that this is really not enough material to fill out a book, so he has to pad it with less than useful information and extremely large fonts. For example he some how managed to spend
Lance
Sep 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is deceptively simple. There's a tendency these days to think that complicated means better. In my experience the opposite is usually true. One of Pavel's great talents is really understanding fitness and strength training at a deep level. To newbies, his advice may seem overly simple, but if you're advanced or you've been training for a considerable amount of time you'll recognize the pure gold in most of his books.

Before reading this book I could hit 70-80 push-ups but I could never
Otávio Albano
May 23, 2016 rated it did not like it
Maybe (I said maybe) the technique is good (I have yet to try it, but I'll stick to Convict Conditioning workouts for now), but the book is as bad as it gets. Lots of "mini chapters" with no cohesion at all, it feels like a bunch of blog posts put together to justify the ridiculous 40-dollar price (I got the terrible Kindle version from Amazon for $7.99 and even so I felt robbed). Don't waste your time with it: search for Pavel's GTG technique online. It's possible to summ it up in 2 pages, tops ...more
Armand
Jan 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Only two exercises are introduced, but they are dissected and explained to perfection. With the use of graphics and stories, The Naked Warrior hits home on pure strength training technique and explanation. However, I was under the impression that this book would be a some-what glossary of body weight exercises. If you're looking for that, this isn't the book for you.

I gave this book a high rating because it was written well and enjoyable. If the rating was based on content vs. price, I would say
Joe
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
A very interesting book, although I think it could have been written more clearly.

The final chapter seemed to cram a bit too much in and was totally different to the rest of the book.
I think it may be useful for someone at a more advanced level.

It is interesting that is recommends doing particularly exercises almost every day, but not to failure in order to build strength and does not focus on progressive resistance.
Huy
Aug 22, 2016 rated it liked it
The whole book centered around only 2 exercises: one-legged squat and one-hand pushup. The idea is to practice exercises with total tension of the whole body, multiple times a day, without exhausting your muscle in any instance. I like the approach of splitting exercises into low-rep sets throughout the day, and making a habit out of it.
Cannot justify the length of book though, and the "Comrade" thingy feels uncomfortable.
Zeke Fortune
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I picked this up along with Convict Conditioning initially because I was cheap and too shy to go to the gym (yeah, shut up). But after a month and a half of training (using both systems) I wasn't too "big" but I was lifting and throwing things around at work that were making people go "wtf?". The simplicity of the exercises gave off the impression of being limited in their effectiveness, but don't let that fool you. You don't need to go to the gym in order to get stronger
Ahmed
May 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
It contains new informations for me. But these information are not backed up by empirical evidence or references and citations. Author style is boring and repetitive time. He used whatever chance he has to endorse his product which seems a little bit cheesy after a while.

This book can be summarized into 10pages max, but with no doubt these papers are gold. My advice is you have to skim throughout the book. These information worth it.
Josh
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great explanation of different strength goals (max, endurance, power), technique for strength exercise generally, and detailed descriptions for one leg exercise (pistol squat, and variations) and one arm pushing exercise (one-arm and one-arm & one-leg push-up, and variations). Strategies are given for building up to and adding/reducing the challenge of every exercise.
  • Convict Conditioning 2: Advanced Prison Training Tactics for Muscle Gain, Fat Loss, and Bulletproof Joints
  • The New Rules of Lifting: Six Basic Moves for Maximum Muscle
  • Raising The Bar: The Definitive Guide to Pull-Up bar Calisthenics
  • Ready to Run: Unlocking Your Potential to Run Naturally
  • Psych
  • The Warrior Diet
  • The Purposeful Primitive: From Fat and Flaccid to Lean and Powerful: Using Primordial Laws of Fitness to Trigger Inevitable, Lasting and Dramatic Physical Change
  • Supertraining
“Take a close look at a squat, barbell, or bodyweight—it makes no difference. Both the quadriceps and the hamstrings are working toward the common goal of standing up. The quads are extending the knees, and the hammies are extending the hips.” 2 likes
“Everything in your body is interrelated and isolation is a myth.” 2 likes