Start by marking “The Dragon Wakes (The Land of Fire and Ash, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dragon Wakes (The Land of Fire and Ash, #1)

The Dragon Wakes

(The Land of Fire and Ash #1)

A world built on the tales of dragon kings. Powerful brothers at war. An orphan girl sold as a bride.

Long ago, the Kingdom of Estala was a place of dragons and sorcerers. Those with magical powers were more than human, they were Menti. But now Menti sorcery is outlawed by the capricious king, and those who wield it are hunted down by the fanatical Order of Insight to be
Published December 5th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Dragon Wakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dragon Wakes

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
The Dragon Wakes is the story of Reva, Luca, Stefan, and Davead. Reva & Luca, betrothed at a young age & separated just as quickly, are living much different lives than they imagined for themselves at age 13.

Stefan, misguided & cruel, will do whatever necessary to overcome his horrible reputation & secure his spot as next in line for the throne. King Davead lives in fear of a prophecy that promises his life will be taken by a Menti, sorcerers possessing powers all along the spec
Fiza
Jul 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I was looking for a book with dragons in it and I kind of found it in this one.

It's mainly about Prince Luca and Reva, as children they were in love and pretty much inseparable. They had always thought that they would end up married to each other, they even had Luca's father, King Davead's, blessing. Then the King makes a cruel decision and the two are separated.

After that you will still follow both of them, you'll see them go through many ordeals, you'll see them falter, fall and get up while
Lana
Sep 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sarah Dalton has written the first book to what has the potential to turn into one hell of an epic fantasy series. This book was such a great and gripping tale that at times i had to remind myself to breath, there is the usual court intrigue and jealousy among siblings and greed for power however there is also the Menti magic which the king and his son Stefan were doing their best to wipe out! There are the enlightened nuns and governors who also use their own methods to curb the sorcerers, the ...more
Michael Wood
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good Beginning of a Tale of Swords and Sorcery

Dalton has created an interesting world, with people who can manipulate fire, water and wind. Others can shift into various animal forms. But all are hunted by a king who fears these powers. Simple iron chains or manacles can chain the powers of these outlaws, known as Mentis.

This story is a good mix of dialog and action as the Mentis try to escape death or slavery at the hands of the King's forces or misguided murderous "religious " forces.
Michael Kane
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding Swords and Sorcery

The character development is first class and the action never stops. The author has employed a wonderful technique to allow each primary character to develop into a unique individual and yet maintain a fascinating cohesive story that is clearly worth every moment that I was able to make available to read this wonderful book. I am definitely looking forward to the next book in the series.
Robert Childs
Jul 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not only did I find this story exceptionally well written, but thoroughly engaging. I am admittedly more of a sword and sorcery kind of guy and while this tale was more sorcery and less sword I nevertheless found myself eager to pick it up again each evening before bed. The story built up through action and adventure, heartbreak and triumph, and betrayal and discovery. Thoroughly enjoyed this story.
Mary Enck
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this novel reminded me why I love fantasy. There is so much that is divorced from everyday, mundane life, where you can escape into a land and adventures with unique characters that have so many surprising abilities. I want to thank this author for the fulfillment of all those things. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, "The Dragon Wakes". I would love to read the next one that she says will soon be available.
Phthon
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Oh this was GOOD! The story follows three characters in their paths to find out who they really are. There is no surprise as who they end up being. Great character development in such a way that you find yourself rooting for them and feeling heartbroken with their failures...

I want more of the story!
M.K. Casperson
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Grabbed me from the start, and kept me intrigued almost to the very end. There were a lot of "Gasp! No! I can't believe that just happened!" moments while reading it, which was awesome. The plot advanced quickly.
Complaints? I was disappointed with the amount of language I encountered toward the middle of the book. Several usages of the "s" word. Also, the last chapter could have been shorter, because it was already clear what was going to happen, and so it seemed tedious.
May
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
The writing was a little choppy instead of flowing perfectly, but it was still ok. I feel like this book was just setting a lot of things up. It was kinda depressing to read because of everyone's bad situations, but there was a lot of character growth and I could see that everyone was starting to improve their bad situations. Sadly there was very little romance in the story.
Glenda Dykstra
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
it was a good book

I read it in two sittings but I will re-read it slowly to see if I had missed something. Each storyline was a great stand alone but to putt them together in once book was seen act of bravery. Frankly, Stephan scared me, Reva needed her spine sooner and Luca need to believe. We will see where it goes
Sheila Ryals
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
😻

Thank goodness for KU. This book was so good I don't want to wait to be able to read more. I needed a good fAntasy and this did the trick.
KELLY CONNOLLY
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly more than I expected!

A real page-turner, I couldn't wait to see what would happen next. I will recommend this book to my friends and loved ones!
Carrie K  Hayes
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an adventure!

I loved every word! I feel like I went through it all with each of the characters. My only disappointment was that it ended way too soon!
Ash Starling
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
so excited for the next one. 5 out of 5.
May
Aug 31, 2019 added it
Shelves: 2019-reads
i read this book because... well, dragons. and it was an interesting enough story. i had my problems with some plot points but now i'm intigued enough. will continue the series.
Amanda Montoya
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really goid i love it

I like how all the stories fulfill one by one been tide together at the sane time very impresive and good action!!
Pamela A Cline
Aug 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another good read

I'm enjoying these books. Always entertaining. Always new ways of writing new ideas. Can't wait to get the next book.
Hannah Conway
Apr 30, 2018 rated it liked it
meh. Some parts of the story were dark. The plot mosied along at a slow but steady pace.
Stephen
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a different kind of read, which is a good thing in this case. A good story and well developed characters, will keep you reading. Good reading everyone!!!!!!!!!!
MRS C MARSHALL
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dragon wakes

Excellent book enjoyed very much
A twist in the tale which was a surprise
Hoow you enjoy as much as I did
Crystal Collier
Dec 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I grew up on fantasy. For the first 20 years of my reading life, it was what I gravitated to, and what I thrived on. Now, many years later and having branched out to other genres, I find I'm less patient with the genres tropes, but regardless of my bias, I enjoyed this book.

We follow 4 separate perspectives, telling three different stories. While they all start at the same place, one of them never connects back with the others. Not in this book. The characters are sympathetic and well drawn, but
Julie Powell
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A brilliant beginning to another fantasy series, this time the focus is upon the Menti, their powers and struggles, and those who wish them dead.

The rulers despise the Menti, religious fanatics, too. Yet hypocrisy is rife and the 'adventure' begins.

Fabulous characters and development, a great plot and storytelling make this a compelling read - I was hooked from beginning to end.

Looking forward to more.
william  Goodrow
Feb 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Dragon Wakes

Well done, an author I've never tried before. I enjoyed her writing very much , kept entertained throughout the book. Highly recommended by me.
Linda Turpin
Jun 09, 2017
connie bolich
Jun 25, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Much of Madness (Conexus Chronicles, #1)
  • The Blue Woods (Twin Willows, #3)
  • No Fears, No Excuses: What You Need to Do to Have a Great Career
  • The Chase (The Witch Hunter, #1.5)
  • Curses and Ash (The Siren Chronicles #2)
  • The Wooden Prince (Out of Abaton #1)
  • From Under the Mountain (Trident Chronicles, #1)
  • Untitled (Gates of Thread and Stone, #3)
  • The Untimely Deaths of Alex Wayfare (Alex Wayfare, #2)
  • Fall of Thrones and Thorns (Threats of Sky and Sea, #3)
  • Bloodtraitor (The Maeve’ra, #3)
  • Circle of Jinn (Becoming Jinn, #2)
  • Rebellion (The Elysium Chronicles, #3)
  • The Celtic Warrior Princess
  • Pyromantic (Firebug, #2)
  • More of Me
  • Behold the Bones (Beware the Wild, #2)
  • Lover of Thorns and Holy Gods (Wraith Kings; Master of Crows, #1.1, #1.7)
Sarah grew up in the middle of nowhere in the countryside of Derbyshire and as a result has an over-active imagination. She has been an avid reader for most of her life, taking inspiration from the stories she read as a child, and the novels she devoured as an adult.

Sarah mainly writes speculative fiction for a Young Adult audience and has had pieces of short fiction published in the Medulla Liter

The Land of Fire and Ash (2 books)
  • The Dragon Storm (The Land of Fire and Ash, #2)