Start by marking “Castle in the Stars: The Space Race of 1869 (Castle in the Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Castle in the Stars: The Space Race of 1869 (Castle in the Stars, #1)

Castle in the Stars: The Space Race of 1869

(Le Château des Etoiles ALBUMS #1)

“This one is Jules Verne meets Miyazaki. It’s the space race in 1869 in a kind of alternate past. … When you see the book itself, it’s this big, oversized object with this incredible watercolor comics style, and it’s this really big, epic, sweeping story of a boy following in his mother’s discovery and then opening up the solar system, but in the age of the 1800s. It’s got ...more
Published September 12th 2017 by First Second (first published September 24th 2014)

Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
3.5 🌟🌟🌟

This graphic novel will appeal to all the ages. The title The Castle In The Stars, actually refers to the German "Neuschwanstein" castle in Bavaria.  And this is where the true space race of 1869 takes place.

The secret lies in the Aether, a substance that is well known, but hard to come by. Seraphin's mother, a fearless entrepreneur, prepares for a hot air balloon ascend of the highest measure in history, in 1868. Unfortunately, things don't go so well, and her logbook was found a year l
Calista
I really enjoyed this story. There is a substance called Aether which can power ships like a modern ship. They are taking balloons into space basically. It's set in 1869. So, not based on any science. This is for the middle grade set. It takes place at the Bavarian castle in Germany. I enjoy how they bring elements together from the time to make this new story.

Great art. It has a very romantic style to it. A boy named Seraphin is at the heart of the story. His mother disappeared searching for Ae
First Second Books
Sep 12, 2017 marked it as first-second-publications
What if man journeyed into space in 1869, not 1969? In beautiful , steampunk graphic novelCastle in the Stars: The Space Race of 1869, we follow Séraphin and his father who build a fantastical ethership to explore the skies. We summon you to pick up this book and take to the skies along them for a fantastical ride!
Mir
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice art, good adventure, interesting setting. The characters are a bit generic so far, but that may change as we spend more time with them. This is definitely a "beginning" book with the main adventure barely underway at the end.

Sesana
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Jules Verne meets Miyazaki, indeed. It's an incredibly apt description, one that I had in mind as I was reading it, before seeing the exact same thing on the blurb here at Goodreads. This is the first of three books, and it's a bit heavy on the exposition, a bit slow. But I found mix of aethernautics and espionage quite interesting enough to keep me reading, and the art is just gorgeous. King Ludwig (you know, the Mad, with the castles?) plays an important role, one that looks to be bigger in co ...more
Skip
A steampunk, graphic novel? YES!! Well described as a cross between Japanese manga and Jules Verne, this book has been translated from French to English. At the heart of the story is the mysterious element of aether, which is thought to be usable to power ships for interplanetary travel. Young Seraphin and his engineer father are reeling from the loss of their intrepid mother/wife, whose aether experiment went too high in the atmosphere. They are invited to Germany to retrieve her journal, and t ...more
Twig
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this was fantastic.
I saw this beautiful Graphic Novel last year for the first time and fell immediately in love with the stunning artwork.. Now a few month later I finally own this beauty and am still in love. The story is unique and fun , it`s a bit funny that its set in german areas.. I like the characters and the idea of emperor Ludwid II having a Steampunk like flying machine to find the aether..

Noémie
Dec 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Génial!!!!
Roger Royer
While I wish that I had discovered this series sooner than I have I am so glad that I have read this book now.

The amazing art is bright and colorful while complimenting an old story with a new twist that has an amazing look as well as some beautiful characters.

I never thought I would find the "Knights of Aether " so completely satisfying in this first book. An amazing read.

Ilu. eh
Josiphine/Tessa
A graphic novel I actually enjoyed. This is pretty fun. Recommended for steampunk fans.
Karissa
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I saw this graphic novel at our library and it immediately grabbed my attention. This was a very well done graphic novel and is appropriate for middle grade and older readers.

The artwork is done in a watercolor style and is absolutely amazing; incredibly detailed and easy to follow.

This is a steampunk story full of adventure and intrigue. The story is exciting, magical, and has great characters throughout.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot and plan on continuing with the series. My 11 year old s
Chelsey
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautiful art and an intriguing plot make this a win for steampunk fans. I wish it wasn't formatted so large, because that makes it a harder sell for my teens.
Tasha
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Translated from the original French, this graphic novel explores an alternative history where the mysterious element of aether is being quested for in the heights of the atmosphere by going up in balloons. Seraphin’s mother was lost after such a quest. Now Seraphin and his father are invited to build a gigantic balloon vessel to continue her search. Told in beautiful watercolor images with fine details and nods to Japanese manga, this large graphic novel invites readers into a new world. With a ...more
Flo
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, sf, 2015
One of the most beautiful comics I have ever laid my hands on. Starts with the wonderful cover and continues with every page. And the story doesnt fall short behind the artwork either. Just an extraordinary beauty of a printed book (eat dust ebook you cant replicate the haptic of the cover artwork!).

PS. Just prey that someday there will be an english edition of the same quality for more peoples delight.
Anna Smithberger
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a delightful book! Alternate history/steampunk in the vein of Jules Verne, loaded with information while also being purely fanciful. And a great joke about the ubiquity of pretzels in Germany.
Wendy MacKnight
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
The first in a series, this book imagines the pace race taking place in the mid nineteenth century. Gorgeous artwork and a solid storyline though I wish it hadn’t ended on such a cliffhanger.
Erin
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Slim, fast, pretty, confusing at times. Like my 10th grade crush.
Kelsey
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The best part of this graphic novel is the GORGEOUS art, but the steampunk intrigue is fun too!
Jasmine
MUM HAD BETTER BE FINE IN THE NEXT BOOK LET ME TELL YOU, I AM NOT HERE FOR DEAD EXPLORER MUMS.
Matthew Hunter
Castle in the Stars: The Space Race of 1869 is one beautiful book with an awesome cliffhanger ending. Our 8-year-old daughter pointed out that some of Alice’s characters don’t quite look the same from frame to frame, making the story more difficult to follow at times. A legitimate criticism! Still, a solid effort by Alice.
Ken Yuen
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sooo pretty. Loved the art in this. It's very fitting to have read The Castle in the Sky artbook before this. This has the same timeless European late 1800s early 1900s post-industrialization aesthetic. Everything has a water color look to it. Gotta love spunky kids just exploring and trying to solve a mystery.

I kind of don't know where the story is going. It kind of sounds like the world of this story is a bit more fantastical than ours. So the next volume could be very interesting indeed.
Teya
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steampunk, comic
Stunning artwork, lovely story and just light and dreamy enough so I wanted to start a new year with it. go, read it, fall in love with it ;)
asmaa(•ㅅ•🌻)

Looove the art!
Lauren
Apr 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: for-blog
In search of the fifth element, aether, Claire Dulac flew to the very edge of the stratosphere. She promised her son and her husband that she would return. But she never did, her hot air balloon disappeared leaving no trace of her behind. A year passed. Her husband, Archibald, was certain she was lost forever, going on with his life as an engineer as best he could. Her son though, Seraphin is certain that there’s still hope. A letter summoning them to Bavaria offers hope, someone’s found her log ...more
Lisa Kizer
May 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
An interesting mix of rewritten history and fantasy. Mad King Ludwig of Bavaria wants to build a ship that will take him away from his duties. P.M. Otto Bismark wants to unite all of German speaking principalities under one king- the Kaiser. And Seraphin wants to find his mother.
Andrew
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This 19th-century steampunk adventure feels like a Jules Verne-meets-Hayao Miyazaki tale for teens. The art has a beautiful, watercolor feel to it, and the story is fast-paced, compelling, and full of mystery. I'm really looking forward to the second volume!
Lindsay
In search of the mysterious element known as aether, Claire Dulac flew her hot air balloon toward the edge of our stratosphere-and never returned. Her husband, genius engineer Archibald Dulac, is certain that she is forever lost. Her son, Seraphin, still holds out hope. One year after her disappearance, Seraphin and his father are delivered a tantalizing clue: a letter from an unknown sender who claims to have Claire's lost logbook. The letter summons them to a Bavarian castle, where an ambitiou ...more
Claudia Sanchez
Oct 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Feel in love with the art but the story felt mostly like a set-up for what will come next instead of a story that could lead to something else.
The narrative itself was a bit choppy but charming and interesting, nonetheless. I think the most interesting thing about this book is the potential of the premise because even with all its flaws I am still entirely too excited to see where the story goes.
Sharon Tyler
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Castle in the Stars: The Space Race of 1869 by Alex Alice is a graphic novel currently scheduled for release on September 12 2017. It was originally published in 2014 in French. In search of the mysterious element known as aether, Claire Dulac flew her hot air balloon toward the edge of our stratosphere—and never returned. Her husband, genius engineer Archibald Dulac, is certain that she is forever lost. Her son, Seraphin, still holds out hope. One year after her disappearance, Seraphin and his ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Baylie Larson's Review 3 1 2 Feb 22, 2019 12:19PM
Cameron Cooper Review #3 1 1 Feb 22, 2019 12:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong place in a series 2 11 Jan 13, 2018 03:11PM

• Shangri-La
  • The Sand Warrior (5 Worlds, #1)
  • The Time Museum (Time Museum, #1)
  • The Stone Heart (The Nameless City, #2)
  • Compass South (Four Points #1)
  • The Iron Hand
  • Mighty Jack and the Goblin King (Mighty Jack, #2)
  • The Dam Keeper (Dam Keeper, #1)
  • Le Grand Méchant Renard
  • Over the Wall
  • NewsPrints (NewsPrints, #1)
  • One Trick Pony
  • The Road to Epoli (Rickety Stitch and the Gelatinous Goo #1)
  • Star Scouts
  • Trish Trash #1: Rollergirl of Mars
  • Shattered Warrior
  • Les murailles de Samaris (Les Cités obscures, #1)
  • Le zoo pétrifié (Les carnets de Cerise, #1)
Diplômé d'une école de commerce, Alex Alice est un dessinateur et scénariste français de bande-dessinés, connu principalement pour sa série "Le Troisième Testament".
Cette série de quatre albums est un thriller ésotérique largement inspiré des œuvres d'Umberto Eco.
Passionné par les opéras de Wagner, Alex Alice travaille actuellement sur une trilogie basée sur le mythique "Der Ring des Nibelungen"

Le Château des Etoiles ALBUMS (4 books)
  • La Conquête de l'espace (Le Château des Etoiles 1869, #2)
  • Les chevaliers de Mars (Le Château des Etoiles 1869 #3)
  • Le Château des étoiles 1869 : Un Français sur Mars - Vol.4 (Le Château des Etoiles #4)