Start by marking “Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)” as Want to Read:
Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes, #2)

Murder on Capitol Hill (Capital Crimes #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  943 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
ISBN: 3442115892
ISBN 13: 9783442115891

US-Senator Cale Caldwell wird auf einer Party erstochen. Die Polizei von Washington und ein Untersuchungsausschuß präsentieren schnell den Täter: Der älteste Sohn des Senators, das schwarze Schaf der Familie, gesteht den Mord. Aber ist er wirklich der Gesuchte? Lydia James, Anwältin und Freundin des Hauses Caldwell, zweifelt und stellt
Published December 31st 1981 by William Morrow & Company (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Murder on Capitol Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder on Capitol Hill

Leslie
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, mysteries
I have read a few other of Margaret Truman's mysteries but this second entry in the series had somehow escaped me until now. Well done and now I can cross Washington D.C. off my Read-the-USA mystery challenge :)
Julie
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-shelf
The review on the back cover said," A good old fashioned mystery." I can't add anything to that. A+
iamnotabookworm
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paperbacks
I found this book at a second hand bookstore in a mall here in Cebu. I have read books of Margaret Truman before and they were similar to this one. They were all about politicians in DC. I think these kind of stories are Margaret Truman's specialty. By the way, Margaret Truman is the daughter of former US President Harry S. Truman. Just so you know. :)

What is in this story?
A dead senator. A lot of suspects. A shady religious cult who is accused of brainwashing its members to keep them. A female
Kelly
Nov 08, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007, mystery
"Jason DeFlaunce"? SERIOUSLY???
(view spoiler)
Why did I do this to myself. Seriously, that's about 2 hours of my life I'll never get back. I could have spent that time staring at the back of the bus seats, it would have been better for me. This book, which was worse even than Murder
Dany
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Another decent political mystery from Margaret Truman, who certainly used her White House knowledge to portray a gritty Washington reality. It reads like a thriller, with plenty of twists and turns. While the murderer was pretty obvious from the get go, the motive kept me guessing right until the end.
Tulay
Aug 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book.

Will be reading all the books written by Margaret Truman. Even forty years ago our elected officials didn't work for the people, murders, brain washing and family dynamics.
Nicole
Aug 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved all of the different angles that kept appearing in this novel. The mystery would seem clear cut, then it would run off in a different direction. Eventually it all xame back together. My only criticism would be that there were a few loose ends left, but that is true in life.
Conni Harness
Apr 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK, I'm hooked. Good series. Good author.
Danielle Gonzalez
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book in the Margaret Truman mystery series; however, I use the word "series" loosely. It appears that they are stand alone books, so I don't think you need to read them in order. This particular book starts with a senator being killed at a party to honor him. We also find out that his niece, who his family raised, was murdered two years previously, and the murder has gone unsolved. The senator's wife asks an attorney friend of hers, Lydia, to head the senate investigation comm ...more
Rachel Burke
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent read

I enjoy politics and have an interest in cults. Combine the two with a mystery and you have Murder on Capitol Hill. It's well put together,,and the mystery itself is quite well thought out. It's not quite the page-turner Murder in the White House is, but it's still a great read.
QueenTut72
Jul 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: margaret-truman
This book was definitely better than the first book in the series. A little more going on to hold your interest. The pace moved a little faster and it was, for me, more exciting than Murder in the White House.
Beverly Orr
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good read, I could not put it down. Again Miss Truman hands done . A great job with her writing. m . Truman as a. Author is great.

I have read other books that she has written. I have e joyed all the books of hers that I have read

gwen graves
Great story

This the second one I've read of Margaret Truman's stories and the keep getting better. I loved the story line and the characters were really well written. I plan on reading all her other ones, because she writes such good stories.
Dharia Scarab
Jul 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not for me. Too many POVs
Cindy Green
Enjoyed it. Recommend it.
Christopher Ramsay
An interesting story about a powerful political family and their downfall. Lies and deceit seem to be the normal way to deal with their problems and eventually it destroys them.
John
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: truman
Too convoluted ending. Opens with murder of a senator which is investigated by a senate committee headed by a lawyer chosen by the senators wife because the wife feels wrongly that she can control the investigation.
Brian
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fiction
I enjoyed the story and found it to be a fast-paced, quick read. One of the attractions of this series is Ms. Truman's familiarity with the inner workings of Washinton, D.C., which she puts to good use in this novel. With one or two exceptions, the characters are well-drawn. The books in this series are "genteel mysteries" -- the opposite of "hard-boiled." One aspect of the author's style that is occasionally irritating: she sometimes pauses the action while the protagonist shares a long interna ...more
RuthG
Dec 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I read all of the earlier books in this series when they first came out and just re-read this one. The mystery itself was interesting and complex enough to keep me guessing but Lydia and Ginger seemed entirely too trusting for women who live in a large city with a fair amount of crime as well as intrigue. I kept wanting to get their attention and ask, "Do you not see the danger you are in?" Whether I re-read older titles or read newer ones in this series for the first time remains to be seen.
Phillis
Jun 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the storyline. Truman knows how to write a mystery. The twists, turn and false starts are good for keeping the readers on their toes. The endings to these books are good old fashion tension, no shoot'em ups or crazy car chases. In the end you get down to the important players and find out who did it. Because Margaret Truman lived and worked in DC she has a good reference to the workings on Capitol Hill and she is very firmiliar with the area in and around DC. Next up; Murder in the Supre ...more
Lisa
Dec 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really impressed with this book. It had too many subplots that were supposed to weave together into the main storyline but never really did. When the murder was resolved at the end, it left me feeling flat. And the author never really explains adequately why the murders happened in the first place. Maybe it was because this was written in 1981 and was culturally dated, but I felt the characters were not well developed and the story was not very satisfying. I doubt if I will read any mor ...more
Sharyn Hutchens
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-crafted mystery

This is a suspenseful murder mystery with all the right elements. Only two things kept me from giving it five stars. I had trouble keeping the characters straight; there were just too many of them. And a phone call made by Christa's friend Amy towards the end seemed contrived. The reason she gave for making the call just didn't jibe and it seemed more a convenience for the author, who needed to get someone from Washington to New York. Other than those two things, an excellen
Maggie
I'm not a fan of predictability. I'm especially not a fan of the protagonist being blind to things that should be obvious to her, so that she looks like she's stupid. In this book we had all of that plus the protagonist essentially blaming one of the victims (who was victimized first by her father/lover and then by the murderer) for having acted so badly as to deserve her own murder. Really??? I'm definitely done with this series and very glad I could get the two I read from Kindle Unlimited, th ...more
Keli Wright
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book.. I think I liked it even more because of where I live. :) The only thing that I did not like was how they depictied a senator from Utah as being a drinking, smoking womanizer..because I am not sure someone like that could get elected in Utah.. I don't like when people do lots of research about other places then get things wrong about Utah or my religion. other than that. I liked the book I liked the pace and the suspense..
Nancy
Dec 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, Not My Favorite

Convoluted plot with a lot of possible bad guys. Funny to read an older book when there were no cell phones, internet, etc. It bugged me that the older brother, Mark Adam, was called a boy. He had to be close to thirty. The relationship of Lydia and Clarence felt contrived, not very deep. Surprisingly, there a few grammatical errors, too.
Ellen Moore
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book--one I didn't want to put down! It had lots of action and some twists and turns. Truman writes well about the Washington she knew as daughter of a President. This book had interesting characters, an arty group, political figures, wealthy and powerful persons, journalists, and a cult. It was a gripping story and well done.
Deb
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun!

As a resident of greater Washington DC and a bit of a political junkie, this was just fun to read. Not the best book I have ever read and the complications of this plot were daunting,but I have eaten at some of the restaurants and the sense of place rings true. I will likely read another-it would make a good airplane book.
Denise Spicer
May 21, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mediocre mystery with not very believable plot, mostly unappealing characters, and gratuitously sordid environment. Are all politicians really that horrible? Also included in the implausible plot is plenty of opportunity for author to show his/her political views and to rail against crazy religious people. Not recommended!
Kay
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
A Senator is killed with an ice pick at a party thrown in his own honor. Throw in 200 suspects that attended the party and a religious cult and you have a murder to solve.

This book wasn't as interesting as her later books. But that is to be understood that an author usually grows as they publish more.
Emirine Joy
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: still-life
The mystery of death of Senator Caldwell leads into revelation of the secrets of Caldwell family. From that Capitol Hill Art Center, The Cult involved & the power that need to maintain. In reality, politicians & the government in every nations have different secrets. One thing is that this story slight related to what really happened to Capitol Hill Massacre year 2006.
  • Monument to Murder (Capital Crimes, #25)
  • Murder in the Lincoln Bedroom (Eleanor Roosevelt, #19)
  • Gift Collection: D is for Deadbeat / E is for Evidence / F is for Fugitive
  • My Just Desire: The Life of Bess Raleigh, Wife to Sir Walter
  • The Eye of Horus
  • Never Give Up: My Stroke, My Recovery & My Return to the NFL
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast, #18)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • How to be a Ghost (Libby Grace Mystery #1)
  • The Case of the Killer Divorce (Jamie Quinn Mystery #2)
  • Tattered Legacy
  • Love Thy Sister (Mina's Adventures, #1)
  • Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3)
Mary Margaret Truman-Daniel, widely known throughout her life as "Margaret Truman", (February 17, 1924 — January 29, 2008) was an American singer who later became a successful writer. She was the only child of Harry S. Truman (33rd President of the United States) and his wife Bess.

Born in Independence, Missouri, she was christened Mary Margaret Truman (for her aunt Mary Jane Truman and her materna
More about Margaret Truman...

Capital Crimes (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Murder in the White House (Capital Crimes, #1)
  • Murder In The Supreme Court (Capital Crimes, #3)
  • Murder in the Smithsonian (Capital Crimes, #4)
  • Murder on Embassy Row (Capital Crimes, #5)
  • Murder at the FBI (Capital Crimes, #6)
  • Murder in Georgetown (Capital Crimes, #7)
  • Murder in the CIA (Capital Crimes, #8)
  • Murder at the Kennedy Center (Capital Crimes, #9)
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
  • Murder at the Pentagon (Capital Crimes, #11)