Start by marking “How to Mend a Broken Heart” as Want to Read:
How to Mend a Broken Heart

How to Mend a Broken Heart

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
A compelling, heartbreaking tale that will make you laugh, cry and believe in the kindness of strangers. Perfect for fans of Jojo Moyes, Lucy Dillon and Miranda Dickinson.

Life is good for nurse Kat. That is until the man she intended to marry legs it, she’s unexpectedly promoted to a position with too much responsibility, and a patient arrives on her ward under strange cir
Published March 1st 2017 by Bookouture

To ask other readers questions about How to Mend a Broken Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Mend a Broken Heart

Amy
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
All of my reviews can be found on www.novelgossip.com

This was an altogether different type of read than what I was expecting it to be. From the blurb/cover combination I assumed that it would be a lighthearted, chick lit type of read, but instead it was heavier, dealing with darker subject matter than I was expecting. It was a very emotional read, one that moved me and touched my heart.

There are three main players; Kat a nurse who has just been dumped by her boyfriend of several years who she sa
Λίνα Θωμάρεη
3,5 stars.

The book was good, the plot was interesting but I didn't like the end. I didn't like it because I thought other things would be done.
Anyway, the point is that I could empathise so much with one of the character (Kat) with a way that I could understand her a little better.
This story was a little sad but a lot hopeful. It talks about Kat, a nurse that although in work is ready to promoted to Ward Nurse in her personal life doesn't go so well ... her 5 years old relationship ends and that
Jules
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, romance
Firstly, I adore the cover of this book.

Although this book does include a couple of heavy subjects, the overall feel of the story is hopeful and uplifting.

I thought the characters were very likeable and I loved the way they were connected to each other. I thoroughly enjoyed this story as it unravelled and I found it hard to put down. I was there with each of the characters, feeling what they were feeling. This story definitely touched my heart.

If you’re wanting a very light chick lit read full
Liina
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
3,5 stars
The story follows three main characters Kat, Rhys and Susan. Kat works as a nurse and she was recently dumped by her long term boyfriend, Susan is a Kate's new patient, who refuses to speak to anybody. Rhys works as a plumber and he is the only contact they can connect with Susan. They are all dealing with their own problems and personal issues, but for a reason their lives intertwine. How are they connected and what does life hold out for them?

It was a story I did not expect, especiall
Hristina
I've been trying to figure out what to say about this book for a couple of days now (side effect of reading a lot of material in a short period of time, I think). I've been failing miserably, that's why this is going to be so vague.

How to Mend a Broken Heart is nothing like than what I thought it would be. I expected a typical chick-lit novel, but it's so much more. It's heartfelt and realistic. It's amazingly written and very intriguing.
I think this is a must read for anyone who ever had their
Ana

Originally posted on This Chick Reads

'How to Mend a Broken Heart' is Anna Mansell's debut and a book I was really excited to read. I have to say, like so many reviewers here, that I did expect something else. When you look at the cover you expect a fluffier and funnier chick lit. But on the contrary, this is one emotional women's fiction/drama that will have your heart wrenched and make you go through a roller coaster of emotions.

There aren't really much characters and the story is focused on th
Angie
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, netgalley
I have taken a week to try and decide what to write in my review of this book, and I'm still at a loss...I'll do my best...

To start with, the cover is deceptive. I was in the mood for a light, chick-lit type book and the cover seemed to suggest to me that this would fulfill my needs. Well, it is actually *nothing* like that. (I should have realized this by the name of the book, right?) It is a pretty heavy and deep book. Sad, but definitely well-written. There is a lot going on here, and none of
Karen Whittard
Jan 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A compelling and beautiful heartbreaking read. This book had me in floods of fear and left me with a massive smile across my face. It will make you believe that there is a chance for humanity if we can take the messages of kindness that this book is portraying and use them in our lives. It is a must read for all. It will make you believe in love and it will make you believe that things can get better no matter what happens. And that life is a lovely place full of lovely people who are kind and g ...more
Kate Avery
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
There’s a carriage clock on the mantelpiece. Its pendulum swings the seconds clockwise, then anti; a mirror reflects our faces. On noticing each other, we look away.

“How broken is someone who’d do this?” she whispers.

How broken are any of us, I think. And that’s when I have to close my eyes.

This book is quite deceptive; the cover looks like something you would find on a light-hearted romance novel and the blurb made me think that it would have a comedic element to it. All I can say is I hav
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting debut novel, that should have been heart breaking in its emotion, but just didn't reach me the way I would have hoped or expected.

I think I am lacking in the correct sorts of empathy to truly realise the emotion in this story, but even without shedding a tear, I could see just what a great story it is.

We have on the surface three strangers, with one thing in common, they all have broken hearts and are dealing with them in different ways.

Kat is trying to come to terms with her long
Caron
This review can also be found on my blog at: https://diminishingthoughts.wordpress...

I received this book from the publisher on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

How to Mend a Broken Heart is a story that revolves around three people and how their lives are interwoven whether they see it or not. I felt that this story tell us that even a person who is a complete stranger can have an impact on your life. Not always for the better, but not necessarily for the worst either.

"We can store a
Nicky
Dec 28, 2016 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

First, let me point out one thing: HTMABH is not a chick lit as the cover might indicate, so if you are looking for an easy and funny romance novel, I'm sorry but this is not that kind of book. If you want something that catch your interest, that intrigues you and at the same time makes you care about three (if not more) different characters, then this is perfect.

I confess that the first thing that made me chose this book was mainly the cover, because it has the same style as those of m
Renita D'Silva
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This book is just so beautiful in every way. The author has such a wonderful way with words. I was crying, laughing and rooting for the characters while reading this lovely, emotional story. Susan, Rhys, Kat - all these fabulous characters burrowed into my heart in the course of this story and will stay with me for a long time, of that I am sure. I loved every word of this tale and am in awe of this author who incited so many emotions within me in the process of telling this story. So thril ...more
Kaisha (The Writing Garnet)
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All reviews can be found on my blog at https://thewritinggarnet.wordpress.com

I really do feel like a worn out record saying this, BUT, if you think the cover hints that the storyline is a candyfloss type of chic lit/romance novel where the ending signifies walking off into the sunset, stop right there. Now, I adore the cover as it’s simple, pretty, and very eye-catching in a very intriguing way. However, all you really need to focus on with the cover is the title and the author as this storyline
Kerry
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an emotional roller-coaster of a read!
How To Mend a Broken Heart has been on my Netgalley list for far too long so I thought it was about time I bumped it to the top of my list. I am amazed this is a debut novel! Having said that, I knew I was in for a treat as it is published by Bookouture. They have some of the most amazing authors after all.
Anna Mansell has created the most beautifully written, heart-wrenching story here and doesn't shy away from tackling some sensitive and difficu
Payton (Payton's Book Thoughts)
For the full review, please visit paytonsbookthoughts.wordpress.com

I must admit, I was a bit skeptical about even requesting this book. The title itself was enough to scare me because in my personal life I am still recovering from a bad relationship/break-up. I finally talked myself into requesting it and was approved. I will also admit, I had a ton of expectations for this book before I ever opened it as well.

That being said, I was pleased and disappointed all at the same time. I really enjoye
Jill
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first thing that grabbed my attention was the cover of this book. It is beautiful, and as I came to find out, sometimes you can judge a book by its cover, because the story told in the pages were also beautiful.

I must admit that I didn’t fully take in the synopsis before starting to read. I was expecting a light story of someone who has had a break up and has to get back on her feet. But what I found was far more than that. It was deeper, more heartfelt and compelling.

The blurb tells you w
Sammy Jackson
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely read
Kim
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, kindle, net-galley
I'm really pleased to be part of the Blog Tour for How to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Mansell.
The cover instantly drew me to this book- so pretty. This is a debut novel by Anna Mansell and I will definitely be keen to read more by this author.

We meet the three main characters early on and they have a tenuous connection and are all suffering some degree of heartbreak. Kat recently broke up with her long term boyfriend, Rhys lost his brother to suicide and Susan is in hospital refusing to speak .

W
Renee
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, read-2017
This is more women's fiction than chick lit. The subject matter much deeper than I first expected but with a positive outlook. I enjoyed the entwining stories of the main characters, the different types of love and the different types of broken hearts that needed to be healed.
Sky
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I was lucky enough to receive a ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review which I am more then happy to give.

How to mend a broken heart had me at the cover! I thought that this was going to be a fantastic Chick Lit read but got more then I bargained for and was pleasantly surprised..
I would compare this book to the likes of Dani Atkins and Jojo Moyes.

Without giving away too many spoilers this book follows the stories of three main characters Kat, Rhys and Susan and how their lives beco
Steph Lawrence
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was expecting a chick-lit, light-hearted read despite the title.
It’s definitely not.
What I found was a wonderful, deep story taking in some very serious topics.
Relationship break-ups, adoption, suicide. All tackled perfectly by the author.
Some very thought provoking situations.

I liked the pace of the story and the chapters told from the perspective of each of the main characters, and during a busy week I was able to pick it up and not lose my way.

The characters were really likeable and had goo
Emma Star Crossed Reviews
This review was originally posted on Star Crossed Reviews Firstly I would like to thank Bookouture for providing me with a copy of this book via Netgalley. This is the first book by Anna but the premise and cover intrigued me. This book is written from 3 perspectives Rhys, Susan and Kat.

I have to be honest, I found the pace of this book very slow and I found it quite difficult to connect with Rhys at the beginning. I found him to be quite selfish. I wanted him to be happy for his mum and think a
Faouzia
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I would like to thank NetGalley, the Publisher and Author for this copy.

This was an intense, touching and at some point heart-breaking story about 3 strangers, 3 broken lives, finding each other under unexpected circumstances.

Kat, the nurse, had just come out from a devastating relationship. Rhys was still trying, after more than 6 months, to survive the pain caused by his brother's death. And Susan, a patient who came to Kat's hospital after she had an accident, or was it really an accident?
Amo
Karen Barber
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
An unexpected pleasure, that had more of an emotional impact on me than I dreamed possible.
In this debut Mansell focuses on three individuals - Kat, Rhys and Susan - and explores how each of them manages to deal with their own broken heart.
I expected a frothy romance, but this was far more than that. Yes, there's talk of relationships but the novel focuses also on dealing with grief, abandonment and simply learning to love yourself enough to face what life throws at you.
Chick lit with real heart
Kelly
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book - written with a clear, easy-to-read style, but with great emotional depth to the plot. Anna Mansell explores difficult emotions with care and sensitivity, and uses gently endearing characters to suck the reader into the story. This is the perfect book to pick up if you're in the mood for a cathartic cry and searching for a brave, uplifting read.
Angel Hatfield
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kat was a nurse and had just been dumper by her boyfriend of five years that she thought she would marry. Kat is also acting as acting Ward Sister. Kat was also dealing with the break up and has to find her way and place in life not that she is single again after so long. Then Kat gets Susan as a patient and she won’t say a word. Susan had been hit by a motorcycle and ended up in the hospital and as Kat’s patient. There was some question if Susan had been attempted suicide, Susan was a broken lo ...more
Stephanie
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
How to mend a Broken Heart is a tale based around three complete strangers, Kat, Rhys and Susan who all come into each others lives at the strangest of times. Kat is the recently promoted to ward sister and is finding her feet after she is newly single and her life seems to be falling apart in front of her. A mystery arises when Susan is admitted to hospital after an accident she has no contact with anybody, refuses to speak and the only thing that can be found to link her to anybody is a phone ...more
Annette Jones
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don’t want to say too much about this book as I don’t want to spoil the experience for anyone. I began reading this without having any information about it whatsoever, as I wanted to start reading it with an open mind. I didn't read the kindle edition I prefer real pages.

It jumps from three very different characters and tells their story from their point of view. If you are like me you will warm to the characters very quickly and more than likely pick a favourite.

Even though some of the topics
Tara
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My first thought after finishing Anna Mansell’s debut novel, How To Mend A Broken Heart, was “wow” – it is, quite simply, stunning.

I am in awe of the way this compelling story comes together, especially as certain elements keep you guessing right to the end.

The main characters, Kat, Susan and Rhys, are exceptionally well written and stick with you long after the last page has been turned.

On the surface it would seem like they have nothing in common but, as the story developed, I realised that on
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Anna had a brush with 'fame' as a magician’s assistant back in 1977. She later decided that being sawn in half by her father, at barely 6 months old, was too submissive a role, vowing to channel the trauma in to something much more pro-actively creative. Having failed at acting, singing and professional murder mystery parties (she was ALWAYs the one to die!), she fell to something much more solita ...more
More about Anna Mansell

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Bend in the Road
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Flame and the Flower (Birmingham)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be