Start by marking “The Upside of Falling Down” as Want to Read:
The Upside of Falling Down

The Upside of Falling Down

For Clementine Haas, finding herself is more than a nice idea. Ever since she woke up in an Irish hospital with complete amnesia, self-discovery has become her mission.

They tell her she’s the lone survivor of a plane crash. They tell her she’s lucky to be alive. But she doesn’t feel lucky. She feels…lost.

With the relentless Irish press bearing down on her, and a father she
Published January 30th 2018 by Skyscape

To ask other readers questions about The Upside of Falling Down, please sign up.
Judi Fox I'm happy to spend several weeks every year in Ireland, and have done for decades, so am familiar with the changes Ireland has seen. The setting is mo…moreI'm happy to spend several weeks every year in Ireland, and have done for decades, so am familiar with the changes Ireland has seen. The setting is mostly Waterville, with a side trip to Inch, a visit to a hospital in Tralee, and an aerial tour of Dublin. The descriptions of each place are pretty accurate. There's mention of colorful buildings, green hills dotted with sheep, Dublin traffic, rain...the ocean looms large. But they're mentions.

So...yes, probably there are some romantic notions that someone needing a place to hide and heal could find it better in Ireland than in Cleveland, USA. But the story is really about the people. It could easily have been set anywhere. The cast of characters is small - maybe 6 important ones. A gay, male, Jewish nurse; a single young mother; a young man resisting a domineering father; a very kind and colorful free spirit...Modern reality enough, but steering clear of its harsher side. It's a romance.

If you read it, let me know if you agree?

(less)

Start your review of The Upside of Falling Down
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
„Its not the current that will drown you. It’s the exhaustion from fighting it.“

Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Clementine wakes up after surviving a horrible plane crash.
She is the only survivor.
But when she wakes up she has no memory of her old life before the crash.
Beginning to panic, she escapes the hospital and leaves to find her memory, adventures and a little bit of love ❤️.

Characters ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Even though I really liked the main character Clementine, i loved Kieran. He always supported her and let her
K. Elizabeth
Although this book starts on an interesting note with Clementine surviving a plane crash, the story unfortunately becomes cliche and predictable. It becomes your run of the mill YA romance: girl meets boy. Boy helps her find herself. He finds himself, too. There’s drama and jealousy. Yada yada. While this is fine, I personally was hoping for something more.

Am I becoming too old for YA? Maybe that’s the problem. I could see myself loving this five years ago. Now, it feels like a washed down vers
Theresa Alan
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fast, sweet, cute, light summer read. When Clementine wakes up in a hospital, she remembers nothing, but her wonderful nurse, Stephen, tells her name, that she’s 18-years-old, and she’s in Ireland, but is originally from Cleveland, Ohio, and, oh yeah, she’s the only survivor of a plane crash.

Clementine makes a hospital break with Kieran, except she lies to him about why she needs his help escaping. Miraculously, mysteriously, and improbably, her photo hasn’t made it into the news yet,
Malina Skrobosinski
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"What is the point of cheating death if a life doesn't exist when you wake up?"

I loved Rebekah Crane's The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland, so it's no surprise that I enjoyed this one just as much. Rebekah has such a knack for making you fall in love with even the most unconventional of characters. Her ability to mix witty banter with sensitive topics gives you that heartwarming feeling in the end.

In the Upside of Falling Down we are introduced to Clementine Haas, an 18 year old from Clevel
Mel (Epic Reading)
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-netgalley
Contemporary teen books and I are not usually friends. I still read them because when I like one it is often amazing. The Upside of Falling Down is an unusual situation as I didn't love it or hate it. It was okay. I find I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other.

Plot
Easily the best part of this book is the plot. Rebekah Crane takes us on a journey with our lead gal who has temporary amnesia. And while she has all the correct supports in place; she still runs away because in her mind
Giss Golabetoon
Mar 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well that took me by surprise. Well done Mrs. Crane.
Shealea
Sep 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Full review to follow!

Quick thoughts:
- Well, this was dreadfully boring and underwhelming.
- Hard-to-follow, hard-to-believe character motivations.
- Weakly written, cartoonish characters with angst-y backstories that made me roll my eyes.
- Lackluster writing style interspersed with generic, feel-good motivational crap (e.g. letting go, finding who you are, making changes).
- Annoying, hypocritical protagonist who hardly thought or acted logically? Jesus.
- Token diversity (i.e. a side character th
rachel ☾
The Upside of Falling Down had a promising premise but it didn’t deliver the story I expected. I was all here for magical realism and Ireland but the uncomfortable romance that replaced it was not my cup of tea. Maybe if miscommunication and lying were not one of my biggest turnoffs in romance, it wouldn’t have been so bad. I just struggle to see how people can ship two characters whose entire relationship is based on false impressions and straight up manipulation… which is why Clementine and Ki ...more
Camila Roy ••RoyIsReading••
RATING: 3.5/5

*Thanks NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this*

This is a story about new beginnings. Clementine/Jane is a young girl trying to figure out who she is after going through a traumatic event. Deep down she remains the same girl but some things have changed. She has the opportunity to start over and be someone else.

I enjoyed this book, the plot is original and I appreciate that in YA. There is some character development by the time it wraps up, which is one of its best aspect
Sanne ♔ (Sanne and the Books)
I received a free ARC by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Ireland. I fell in love with Ireland as soon as they defeated Bulgaria in the Quidditch World Cup final of 1994. So I really, really want to visit Ireland. Right now. So when I read the synopsis I was like: yasss, girl. But oh boy was I wrong.

➵ PLOT
Clementine Haas wakes up with amnesia. She’s in a hospital and has no clue where she is, or who she is. All her memories are gone. It turns out she was in a plane cr
Whitney
May 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: giveaways, terrible
Predictable and tropey, but beyond that I spent the entire book just furious that she was so selfish and thoughtless to her dad. Am I just too old for YA? I don’t mind characters being unlikable as long as I feel that the author is aware of it, but this girl’s terrible behavior (leaving her father to be worried senseless in Ireland for three weeks, snooping through other people’s things) is all excused by the fact that the poor baby has amnesia. It wasn’t fantastic enough for me to set aside my ...more
Flor
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I recieved this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exhange for an honest review. Thank you.

"She may not know it, but she is a walking story. And me... I´m full of scars with no stories." A great combination of a cute love story and a self discovery story.

We follow the story of Clementine an American girl in Ireland who just happens to be the only survivor of a terrible plane crash who has lost her memory as a result of this accident. She no longer knows who she is, she feels alone and wit
✶Rachelle✶
Nov 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, contemporary, ya, 2018

I received a free eARC copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

I was raised in the Buckeye state, so whenever I hear about a book that takes place in Ohio, or where the main characters are from Ohio, I'm all over it. Cause let's be real here, hardly any books take place in Ohio. There's really nothing there, and it's pretty boring. I mean, Cedar Point is awesome, and there's the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland and the Football Hall of Fame in Canton, but otherwise ye
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Ohioan Clementine, the sole survivor of a plane crash in Ireland, suffers from retrograde amnesia and remembers nothing. Hoping to find herself, Clementine meets Kieran, who helps her flee from the hospital, thinking her name is Jane. Over the next weeks Jane won’t remember details, but she will discover who she wants to be. Can a possible romance be built on a lie? And what is Kieran hiding from Jane?

THE UPSIDE OF FALLING DOWN is a story about finding ourselves amongst the expectations of other
Hristina
(guess who's behind on the reviews they were supposed to write, yet again)

As it turns out, all one needs to do to get me interested in a book is mention Ireland somewhere in the summary.

Actual rating: 3.5
This is a solid book in my favorite genre, it's no surprise that I enjoyed it. It's well thought out and well executed. I liked the characters best of all, and the plot was very intriguing. The only thing that doesn't sit well with me is the ending, it felt rushed and it didn't seem believable.

Kayleigh Osborne
May 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018
The title is the best part of the book.
 Megan • Reading Books Like a Boss (book blog)
A girl whose memories are lost after a plane crash and the boy trying to find his own purpose fall in love amidst the charming Irish setting in Rebekah Crane’s THE UPSIDE OF FALLING DOWN.

Clementine Haas wakes in an Irish hospital to find that she’s the only survivor in a plane crash with no recollection of who she is. On impulse she convinces a sweet Irish guy, who she told her name was Jane, she met in the courtyard at the hospital to help her escape, by telling him that she was mugged and want
Samantha (WLABB)
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5 Stars

I was lucky to stumble upon Crane's last book, The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland, last year, and enjoyed it immensely. Therefore, when I saw The Upside of Falling Down, I knew right away, that I had to read it, and you know what? It was utterly delightful!
"It's the upside of falling down," Kieran says. "It's why you jump in the first place...for that moment."

•Pro: The whole theme of the book is fabulous! It's about new beginnings and possibilities. Clementine's amnesia freed h
T. Rosado
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars!

After having loved the book Aspen by this author, I've been meaning to read more of her stories. The Upside of Falling Down was the perfect book to follow with. I would like to note that although this is classified as Young Adult, due to the some of the content and age of the characters, I feel the story leans more towards New Adult.

The story opens with Clementine in the hospital. She's suffering from injuries due to a plane crash; retrograde amnesia being the most prominent. That ope
Stephanie Gillespie
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a free eARC copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

When I saw this book on Netgalley I thought the cover was really cute. This book turned out to be such a cute fun read. I flew through it in just two sittings, I couldn't put it down. The book is set in ireland which gave this story bonus points from me. I love reading about foreign countries, there not a setting used as often as it should be.

The main character Clementine, it was interesting to be inside her head, as she
Paula
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was very underwhelming. Skimmed a lot. Disliked the main character. It was not for me. Full review to follow
Scrill
Jan 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, romance, contemporary
"Just when you think your life is over, a new story line falls from the sky and lands right in your lap."

When Clementine wakes up in an Irish hospital without her memories she decides she needs to rediscover herself in order for them to return. The only thing she knows is she is a lone survivor of a plane crash, her name is Clementine, she’s from Cleveland, Ohio and she’s not ready to face the father that came all the way to get her because she can’t let the man down knowing that she doesn’t
Caitlin Christensen
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea what to expect going into this one (I didn't even read the synopsis) and boy was I pleasantly surprised. If you're looking for a fantastic contemporary to get you out of a reading rut, this book is just the thing you need!

"The memories mean nothing to me if I can't recall them. Except for the small fact that... they mean everything. No matter what people want to believe, life is locked in the past. It's all we are -- a timeline of events that make up a person."

Clementine Haas wak
Daphnee (daphneereads)
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
The Upside of Falling Down by Rebekah Crane was such a cute contemporary! Might I also mention that it takes place in Ireland? I mean, how can you beat that? Thank you NetGalley for the free ebook copy.
belle ☆ミ (mybookcastle)
actual rating: 4.5

I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

I’ll never be able to fathom the feeling of waking up without memory of your past. Not a single bit of my childhood, no memories of my life, no memories of my family. That’s horrifying and extremely unnerving. It's precisely what had happened to Clementine.

I really liked Clementine. After surviving a horrible plane crash, she wakes up not remembering anything from the past. She has no recoll
MichellemyBelle
Jan 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: teen-and-ya, arc
***ARC provided by Skyscape and Two Lions publishers in exchange for an honest review.***

Clementine Hass is the sole survivor of a plane crash which has left her with amnesia. Waking up in a hospital she has no idea who she is, or where she is from. This is the perfect depiction of finding out who you are without the distracting influences of your past. Clementine isn't entirely sure her lost memories are relevant or useful and embarks on a reinvention of sorts to discover who this striped down
Kim Bongiorno
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
The sole survivor of a plane that crashed in Ireland from America wakes up with amnesia. Her lovely nurse is gentle and kind with her, and lets her have a quick moment to prepare herself for meeting her father once he arrives at the hospital to collect her.

She believes he's her dad--and seems nice enough from what she can tell while peeking around the corner at him--but she can't look this stranger in the eye and cause him more hurt with her lack of emotional ties with him. So she takes off, tal
Savannah Owens
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this!! Finished in one day. Such a cute story!
Reading Teen
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This was a fun read and I really enjoyed the bits about Ireland. I had a little trouble with the main character, which you can seen in my updates, but liked it overall.
Jess Anne
Oct 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audible
Oh my goodness, I loved this book so much! This book was light hearted, romantic, and a quick read. Perfect to get you out of any reading slump!

Clementine wakes up in a hospital bed, and doesn’t remember what happened, or why she’s here. Stephen her nurse, informs her that she’s in Ireland, and she’s the only survivor of a plane crash.

While at the hospital Clementine meets Kieran and somehow convinces him to help her escape the hospital. Clementine wants to get away, and try and figure out who s

• Trophy Life
  • The Survivor's Guide to Family Happiness
  • The Bette Davis Club
  • All the Good Parts
  • The Other Family
Rebekah Crane is the author of The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland and other young-adult novels. She found a passion for this genre while studying secondary English education at Ohio University. She is a former high school English teacher, a yoga instructor, and the mother of two girls. After living and teaching in six different cities, Rebekah finally settled in the foothills of the Rocky Mountai ...more