Start by marking “Battering the Stem” as Want to Read:
Battering the Stem

Battering the Stem

It's going to be a long, hellish day on Utica Ave. The employees of Brooklyn's seediest soul food joint, Clayvon's King Prawn Chicken N' Biscuit, have a mysterious new patron: Edgerin. Called a “vagrant” and a “beggar”, he’s got a thing or two to learn them in the delicate art of begging…

Within twenty four tense, bloody hours, all the filthy secrets buried under the nail
Published December 5th 2016 by JournalStone - Bizarro Pulp Press

To ask other readers questions about Battering the Stem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battering the Stem

David Bridges
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a wild card read for me. Sometimes I like to pick an author I have never heard of before and give it a shot. This is the case for Battering The Stem by Bob Freville. Admittedly, it wasn't too much of a risk since the book is being published by Journalstone/Bizarro Pulp Press.

Battering The Stem is one of those books you can't really categorize. It is definitely literary. Freville plays with language and creates some truly bizarre characters, The whole story goes down in a soul food resta
Zaffy
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brutally violent. Brutally real. A hard hitting vicious book thats hard hitting politically, a hardened accurate socio-political urban crime drama- with added perversity and bizarre undertones.
Its unique in vision, prose wise its a wholly new take on using phonetic writing to capture - race- stereotypes-characters.

Its hard in so many ways and can be misconstrued and interpreted. So if easily offended or up for a debate on the authors "biased" nature, his perspective and handling on subject matt
The Grim Reader
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Battering the Stem' is a hard-boiled novella the likes of which I haven't read in some time. Though perhaps not my usual read, I do enjoy dark, crime fiction as a change from my usual diet of horror. Bob Freville is a new author to me but one that I will be keen on reading more from in the future.

A little word of warning: I was quite taken back by the narrative style initially. It's very in-your-face and can seem quite confronting but it's entirely necessary I believe for the type of gritty, vi
Zakary McGaha
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one has a ton of great things going on. Funny at parts; crazy at, well, most of it; always keeps you sucked into its gritty world. The characters, setting...everything is pretty much cool. It made me think of one of those good B-movies that's insane, yes, but also serious, considering the stakes are high and the characters are more than just jokes.
Dylan
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It's dirty, grim, confrontational and leaves you feeling like you've accumulated 9 layers of grease from a fast food fryer.

The writing takes a little bit of getting used to. No real hard point of view. It's more like the events are being narrated by an outside looking in, rather than from the characters themselves. And while I did enjoy the story, which somewhat reminded me Killing Them Softly, it's kinda hindered by... I don't know, too much prose? The prose often feels overwritten commentary o
Sasha Russell
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book a bit slow at the start but totally worth sticking to the end! It is crazy, funny, creepy, and grotesque with a little romance thrown in. All the discovered secrets seem to bring a couple characters closer during the story. Honestly it reminded me a little of working at a Bojangles off an interstate as my first job (minus all the insanity and gore). Great novel for a little taste of something....different.
Christian
Mar 01, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Tag line: bad people have a bad day
I loved the news on the radio as a backdrop for the story. It set the tone for what was "normal" in the world.

I struggled with the accents (largely because I'm unfamiliar with them).
Donald Armfield
Take the movie Clerks and throw it behind a restaurant counter ask 'em what kind of condiments they would like in your best urban street talk and you kinda have "Battering the Stem" in a nutshell.

Urban crime over the counter of a restaurant taste so good until all it's secrets are revealed. Freville's book is packed with dark comic, raw street dialect and an ending that sneaks right out the backdoor. Get your order in before all hell breaks loose.
Jessica