Start by marking “The Clerk” as Want to Read:
The Clerk

The Clerk

Thomas Copeland has just turned forty years old, but unlike some men his age, he's not going to have a midlife crisis. Sure, he works at a small grocery store on the North Carolina coast, he doesn't have many friends, and he's unmarried and childless, but he's content with his simple life.

Others, however, are not so content, and they want to make sure Thomas knows it. Betw
Published December 5th 2016

To ask other readers questions about The Clerk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Clerk

Kevin Berg
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Thomas has the life many dream of at forty. It isn't fame and fortune, or publicity and insecurity masked by charity. No, there is a simplicity and overall satisfaction with his life that many envy, or should seek to emulate. Take away the stress that everything brings in a status and product-driven society, then just live each moment as it comes. Sounds good to me.

This is Cowper's debut, and overall I enjoyed the story and his writing very much. The dialogue is entertaining and snappy, the sett
Michael Lantrip
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this story in exchange for an honest review.
I felt like I knew these characters, since I lived in North Carolina where the story takes place.
Cowper has drawn his characters very well.
It is the story of a 40-year-old man, and it begins on his birthday, when everyone is expecting him to reflect on his life and go through a self-examination, evaluating where he is and where he is going.
But the character, Thomas, has never had a Master Plan, or even a Master To-Do List.
He is com
Heather Murray
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Matt Cowper’s novel about a forty-year-old grocery clerk first attracted my interest because of its brave focus on the uneventful life of one person. I wondered whether and how an author could sustain readers’ curiosity over a full-length work. Sometimes a fascinating character can carry a book; however, Thomas Copeland, the clerk in question, is not a complex guy. Neither does he change much, although there is some development in his understanding of the people around him.

The Clerk’s supermark
Cherie'
Nov 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
Was all over the place, read up to 55% and just couldn't finish.
James George
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
“The Clerk” is a short novel by Matt Cowper. It describes the life and times of Thomas Copeland, a 40-year-old single man working in a grocery store in Atlantic Beach, North Carolina. Here are some likes, dislikes, and general observations about the novel:
1. The author is very witty. The writing is crisp and his sarcastic sense of humor shines through in every chapter. He effectively utilizes plenty of similes and metaphors, and he loves using parenthesis (so do I). Here is one of my favorite pa
Shelby
Jan 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
THE CLERK, a debut novel by Matt Cowper, begins with the main character’s fortieth birthday. Thomas walks on the beach, contemplating his life and the “midlife crisis he is not having.”
The author conveys a mood of mellow contentment when he describes Thomas’s birthday surroundings:

“Golden late-afternoon light shone on the dunes and beach houses. Willets scurried about, pecking at the white sand. To the west, the beach houses, the pier, and the tall Scotch Bonnet Hotel were smoky silhouettes.”
Ju Ephraime
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Clerk is told through the eyes and private thoughts of Thomas, the hero in this story. From the very beginning of the book, the reader gets the impression that Thomas is not really living life, he’s just coasting. Nothing is earth-shatteringly important; except, maybe, the steak he’s looking forward to grilling on his fortieth birthday. Although he acknowledges it's a milestone and should be celebrated in some way, he just doesn’t know how. So, other than taking the day off and answering his ...more
David F Hildebrandt
Nov 26, 2017
Kay Mack
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good, simple story

While not the most action-packed or complex novel, I enjoyed THE CLERK. Thomas is a good, uncomplicated man whose life mirrors "every man" reminding us of the universal challenges we all deal with on a daily basis.
Juliann
Amy Linquist
Vickie
Annie Baker
Aug 11, 2017
Unbranded author trying to write sentences that read good.

I'm also a beta reader. Check out my website for more info: mattcowper.com