Start by marking “Trying To Live With The Dead (The Veil Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Trying To Live With The Dead (The Veil Diaries, #1)

Trying To Live With The Dead

(The Veil Diaries #1)

Hi, I’m Alexis Delaney. I’m your average 17-year-old girl. Except I can see the dead. And talk to the dead. And push them away and, well, help them move on. So..okay, I’m not your average 17-year-old girl. For years I’ve been struggling to survive the souls still roaming around. The shitheads always seem to find me. Moving from town to town every few months never helped ...more
Published December 6th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Trying To Live With The Dead, please sign up.
Brittany Rauch I think it's going to be released (pending any natural disasters such as flu and such for the author) late Jan. - early Feb. That's what the author…moreI think it's going to be released (pending any natural disasters such as flu and such for the author) late Jan. - early Feb. That's what the author posted on a few facebook groups centered around these types of books. GOD I HOPE THAT'S CORRECT BECAUSE I CAN'T WAIT FOR IT TO COME OUT. (less)

Start your review of Trying To Live With The Dead (The Veil Diaries, #1)
Helen 2.0
2.5 stars. I had quite a few issues with this book but the series may have potential overall.

The plot follows Lexie, who admittedly is not the most original heroine of a YA paranormal romance. She has a tough past, an abusive parent, a supernatural power she hates, and of course most if not all the gossip in her high school revolves around her. So the whole nine yards.
Lexie gets several boys for her harem, who are all childhood friends at the school she begins to attend. Their eventual romance
Marguerite (M)
July 2019 edit: it's been almost a year, I believe it is time for a re-read.

Rating BOOK 1: 3.5 stars
Rating SERIES: 99 stars

I never really reviewed any of The Veil Diaries books because I feel like I won't necessary bring anything to any potential readers. TVD already has an amazing fan base with amazing people that talk about the books everywhere.

How could they not?

At first, The Veil Diaries might come as a bit messy and without any real goal. The first three books are slice of life when the
GimmeAllTheWerdssss
Dec 19, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 good start stars.

Good overall story. I enjoyed the supernatural/paranormal aspect but there were many editing errors and the language was a little offensive for high school kids (the f bomb was dropped frequently). Also, considering this is an RH I didn't like how all the guys, except Miles, were attempting to date/hook up with OW and they were pushing OM on the heroine.

I'll be reading the next book but in order for me to continue past that the OM and OW need to go!
Kayla
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-favrouites
This book was everything, I loved the boys and I loved the strong MC!
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
barely 3 stars

I really liked the pnr and magic aspects. If the book had more of this, I would rate higher. However, I just didn't relate to the high school aspect and that 5 guys would want to hang with 1 girl and let her in - this wasn't shifters, etc., so she wasn't part of a pack. Plus, her protective uncle letting her have slumber parties with 5 guys, even though he met them before, is so unbelievable - even for PNR. After a while, I skimmed until I got to the parts with her battling or
MaggieDerosa
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's difficult to find reverse harems so when I do come across one, I get excited and read it no matter what. Unfortunately, quite a few are disappointing in that they are either extremely amateurish or not true reverse harem stories.

Color me surprised to find a gem in the rough with Trying to Live with the Dead.

Pro: This novel (which is satisfyingly lengthy at 300-ish pages) has all the hallmarks of a true reverse harem. 1) A large group of young guys (five in this story) who, 2) are
Alaina
lmaao this book was so good when I listened to it in JUNE and I wanted to dive into book 2 right away.. but alas it's still sitting in my audible app unlisten(ed?) to. So, long story short - I SUCK.

Trying To Live With the Dead was a pretty entertaining book that I can sort of remember. Mostly because I am a sucky reader and never dove into the rest of the series (yet). I swear on my dog's life (yes only one of them because both of them would be too much swearing) that I will get through this
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
3.5
It's a reverse harem. I think it needs no other explanation
JadeShea
This book starts with Lexie moving in with her Uncle Rory. Things haven't been going so well for her lately, and she's ready to make a new start on life. But, she has a few secrets she's trying to keep, and when new friends start popping up it gets harder and harder to keep them secret.

Lexie will do everything she can to keep her secret, and to stay safe as well. However, her new friends might object to keeping secrets, but they are all about her safety.

This book blew me away. Seriously, I
Talltree
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: b-rh
From what I understand this book is RH. But so far 4 of the 5 (hetero) guys are interested in other girls while the h likes some random guy. I didn't even mind though. The h had been through so much, she deserved such staunch friends like these guys who never let her down. In return the h was loyal, paid attention to the guys and in general made their life better and more fun! Their banter was witty and fun though the predictable high school mean girls vs. new girl subplot was a bit of a ...more
Kelly
Dec 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rh-read
I've binge-read the entire series (or at least all seven books) in a week and I can't remember for sure which ones I loved more and which ones I loved a bit less. I'll probably rate all of them 4 or 5 stars. Can't wait for the eight book to come out!
Maraya21 (The Reading Dragon)
Auxiliary Challenge (2018) Winner for April (Theme: Reverse Harem)

This book is lucky to be a double read with the RHR Cult as well #eatallthecake

3.5 Stars
Sunseeker☀️
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: rerverse-harem
BleuBelle
DNF 30% Spoilers ahead, from the other books in this series too

I really love the genre "reverse-harem". That's why I was really excited to read this book.

The beginning was awesome. I was hooked. The story was intriguing, the heroine strong, sassy and confident and the guys were adorable and delicious. I loved that the heroine could defend herself. I liked reading about the guys and how friendly and protective they were of her. From the first moment on, they were a close knit group.

The beginning
Secretly Adorkable Readers
If you like C.L. Stone, Jane Washington, Lane Whitt series, then you will enjoy this as well! I love a good paranormal with a twist especially with several gorgeous guys involved!

Trying to Live With the Dead is the first part of a trilogy for The Veil series by B.L. Brunnemer! Here is my review and I demand you get this book today! The next book in the series is not too far behind releasing!
Alexis Delaney comes from an abusive situation and ends up moving in with her Uncle Rory and cousin
Sakina Carter
Apr 02, 2018 rated it liked it
A solid 3.5.

I tried reading this last year and DNF around 34% but I did a Buddy read with Reverse Harem Revolutions and it forced me to read the whole book and I am glad that I did.

This book reads as it is a very interesting slow burn YA RH. Once I got into the mindset that this was a slow burn YA, I was able to enjoy it more.

What makes this stand out for me is the Lexie's no nonsense attitude. I could have done without the teenage drama but it is expected of a YA.
-S♡
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 Stars! ...more
taveena kade
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites

Self note:
Reread 1/15
Taken in by her uncle, Rory, after her mom beat her senseless, Alexis has learned to keep people at a distance, especially given her "gift" of being able to see ghosts. She expects to be a loner at her new school but instead finds herself becoming friends with a group of fun/nice guys. She figures they will bolt as soon as they learn of her affliction, which is inevitable given a particularly nasty ghost that resides at school. Of course, they don't. Instead, they support her as she tries to ...more
Princess J. Antoinette
Okay... so I'm really liking this series so far... this reverse harm thing with these characters aren't necessarily what I'm use to when I read other books of such types but the author is still holding my interest so I will continue onto book 2!

Overall rating:
4*~A Good Read
Sea Hag
Jan 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
I am conflicted because I feel like there is oodles of promise here. There's a decent story progression, the heroine has some good things going for her despite a pretty aggressive Mary Sue situation that I hope does not get worse, and I'm intrigued enough to keep reading. I do not, however, believe the relationships that much, and there is a weird obsession with talking about "triggers," but I can get around that enough to stay interested.

THAT SAID. If I had not had a gift card balance I would
Vicki
This book has an excellent plot, highly interesting characters and I love, love, love the slow build reverse harem. Unfortunately, the editing is the worst I have ever seen in a published work - normally I would have stopped reading before the 10 percent mark in a book with even a tenth of the errors and it is a testament to the positives (see first sentence of review) that I continued on.

I feel that the 5 and even 4 star reviews for this book are doing a disservice to the author, who has a
Jessica *The Lovely Books*
Update
Definitely investing ALLLLLL MY MONEY!
One word for this book: BADASS!

******
Trying to decide if I want to invest my time(and money) on this series. I’ve heard there are going to be 14 books, possibly 14 more after that (the second half being NA instead of YA?). Decisions, decisions.
Daisy Delfin
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This is the first book I read, which deals with helping the souls of dead cross the veil. I liked the story and especially the main charakters: Lexie, Issac, Ethan, Miles, Asher and Zeke. In this book there is a good balance of the paranormal stuff and the new relations Lexie is building after moving in with her Uncle Rory. Since I could not put the book down, I rated it with 5 stars.
Jessica
Okay, okay... I have some issues with this book (mainly with the MC, but other things too). I actually tried to read this before ad DNF'd it, it seemed juvenile. Thanks to the lovely ladies at Reverse Harem Revolution, I've been assured this gets better. I trust them. I will continue.
Megan
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
This is maybe my 3rd time reading this book.. and I still think I would rate it 2 stars.. maybe 2.5?
C
Nov 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Ghost magnet

What an almost original story. I didn't think I would like it, but I so. Too bad only the first is on KU.

The guys were really sweet, but the only ones I remember are Zeke and Cookie Monster and I literally just finished the book. I guess they probably stand out more as the series progresses.

The FMC is pretty cool, can stand up for herself, and has a nifty ability. She also cries a lot but I guess that's a real thing.

I would probably read the next book if it was on KU.
Coco.V
Nov 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: freebie
FREE on Amazon today (11/24/2018)!
Shannon
Mar 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm a puddle of feelings. I don't know what to feel with that ending. I want to slap the boys across the face. They made a rule not to date Lexie !?!?

Arghhh so much frustration. Lexie is amazing- so strong and funny and she's just been through so much she deserves a happy ending.

I love how the boys have such distinct and different personalities. I've read other books where the personalities start off different and then merge somewhere and it's hard sometimes to distinguish between them. Not with
Dominique
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paranormal

• The Vixen's Lead (Kit Davenport, #1)
  • Charcoal Tears (Seraph Black, #1)
  • Four Psychos (The Dark Side #1)
  • Three Trials (The Dark Side, #2)
  • The Dragon's Wing (Kit Davenport, #2)
  • Watercolour Smile (Seraph Black, #2)
  • Bound Spirit (The Bound Spirit, #1)
  • Signs of Cupidity (Heart Hassle #1)
  • Finding My Pack (My Pack, #1)
  • Phoenix (The Stardust Series, #1)
  • Free Spirit (The Bound Spirit, #2)
  • Gypsy Blood (All The Pretty Monsters, #1)
  • The Tiger’s Ambush (Kit Davenport, #3)
  • Lead Heart (Seraph Black, #3)
  • Two Kingdoms (The Dark Side #3)
  • Academy of Assassins (Academy of Assassins, #1)
  • Void
  • Groupie (Rock-Hard Beautiful, #1)
B.L.Brunnemer has been a devoted reader since she was young. As a child, she was instantly attracted to horror stories. The plot, the suspense, the action. She loved it all. Which, as she grew, branched out into several other genres. But a strong female character always caught her eye. Through the years romance became a big part of her reading. Then she found the Young Adult/New Adult genre. But ...more

The Veil Diaries (7 books)
  • When the Dead Come A Knockin' (The Veil Diaries, #2)
  • When To Fear The Living (The Veil Diaries, #3)
  • Whispers from the Dead (The Veil Diaries, #4)
  • When Evil Comes To Play (The Veil Diaries, #5)
  • Secrets From the Grave (The Veil Diaries, #6)
  • When The Dead Have It Easy (The Veil Diaries #7)
“Beautiful is sick, so we’re here to smother her back to health.” 43 likes
“Pull something out and show me.” I said thoughtlessly. Isaac started snickering, Ethan joined in. Asher was holding back a laugh, his cheeks turning pink. I thought about what I said and started laughing. There are just some things you can’t say in a room full of guys.” 27 likes