Start by marking “Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World” as Want to Read:
Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World

Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World

Anxiety is at an all time high, but there's a prescription for dealing with it. Max Lucado invites readers into a study of Philippians 4:6-7 where the Apostle Paul admonishes the followers of Christ, "Do not be anxious about anything . . ."

Philippians 4:6 encourages the believer to "be anxious for nothing." As Lucado states, the apostle Paul seems to leave little leeway he
Published September 12th 2017 by Thomas Nelson (first published 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Anxious for Nothing, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Patricia Fuller Based on Philippians 4:4-8. “Do Not Be Anxious about Anything.” Pastor Lucado, helps us in this ‘anxious’ world how not worry, fear, anger, feel lost…moreBased on Philippians 4:4-8. “Do Not Be Anxious about Anything.” Pastor Lucado, helps us in this ‘anxious’ world how not worry, fear, anger, feel lost (basically all emotions of anxiety). Worried about tomorrow? What good does that do? Yesterday is gone. Our God is in control; He will take care of everything if you just ask. Pastor Lucado gives us the tools, referring bible verses, to live peacefully, without anxiety. I will refer to this book probably many times when I begin to ‘worry’ about anything. (less)

Ellen Gail
I think it's time I admit that I'm not going to finish this.

I'm not finding it meaningful or interesting, and I'm tired of it sitting on my nightstand and judging me for not reading it.
Kelly Hodgkins
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a message worth hearing whether you are stressed out and need to calm down or as a reminder to remain living a calm life.

Max Lucado keeps a sense of humor alongside the wisdom, I love his anecdotes which make the truths easier to remember and the overall tone is one of hope. I love the way each line of the key verse is broken into practical, tangible ways to live it out and counter anxiety. The acronym C.A.L.M. sums it up beautifully.

I am inspired by the premise of the book, those
Rachel A.  Dawson
I flew through this one quickly during a lunch break before we recorded a podcast where one of our team members interviewed Lucado about anxiety -- it's a good read, a quick read, and nothing mind-blowing. There were some helpful, meaningful nuggets here, but it felt more like a "Hey, Max Lucado, you're a popular author, write about this hot topic!" kind of situation than a truly heartfelt book about anxiety. Not a winner for me personally, but one I think will really be helpful for a lot of peo ...more
Shannon (leaninglights)
A good quick read and reminder to stop and give it over to God.
Leslie M.
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve read a number of Lucado’s books, and I’ve yet to be disappointed. This book was a bit shorter than I expected (and I would’ve loved it to have been longer!), but there is so much information to be gained in it that I took my time reading it.

The overall message of this book is based on what Paul said in Philippians 4:6: “Be anxious for nothing.” And if someone had a reason to be anxious, it was Paul! Yet, he was able to live in joy. If he can do it, anyone can. Lucado offers tips and encoura
Meg
Nov 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Is there a zero star option?
I was unfamiliar with this author and picked up the book as a person of faith who found the title appealing.

Let me sum up and save you the trouble: Lucado uses the Bible to shame and man-splain to you why your clinical anxiety disorder is invalid. Abandoned at 70% through during a diatribe about how God tells us how to avoid anxiety, and if you’re still anxious, you just aren’t listening closely enough.

**Bonus!** Includes a telling of the Unjust Judge parable that I T
Rob McFarren
Jul 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Eh. It's popcorn reading with a total misunderstanding of anxiety as worry. Every example given is regarding propping up belief by staying committed to that belief no matter what. Sound simple? Sure, if all you are doing is worrying about external circumstances and it's impact on you... without going to the deep places.

This book does not even come close to addressing existential anxiety or angst. It missed all clinical and psychological aspects other than in passing glances to point back to beli
Kym McNabney
When I see the name MAX LUCADO my interest is captured. When I ran across ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING: FINDING CALM IN A CHAOTIC WORLD, I ordered it immediately. I have run across many in my life that struggle with anxiety. I think if we were honest, most of us do in one form or another, at different times in our lives.

ANXIOUS FOR NOTHING goes beyond what the title may first bring to mind. Anxious comes in many levels. We all have feared, worried, wanted to know what is going to happen ahead of time. W
Angie
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I suffer from anxiety... ughhh it's awful. I'm always looking for advice and a fix for it. I've read a lot of books on it but this was the first book I've read that was about God and anxiety. Trust me.. I pray about it, but this book gives some specific scriptures to read and an entire section in the back of the book with a bible study on it. The study even includes meditations to read. I recently discovered a large online bible study called Proverbs 31 Ministries online bible study and have enj ...more
Brittany
If you want to read/listen to a sermon about anxiety than you will enjoy this book, but I was wanting somehting more. I have never read a Max Lucado book, so maybe that is just his style. it wasn't bad, but I am not an overly religious person and didn't get what I was looking for in this one.
Mindy Clark
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was excellent. I listened to the audio version and the reader was perfect as well. Very enlightening!
Sarah Marie
5 stars. I really needed this. It was light, but hitting a lot of great points. Review to come.
Varina Denman
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I probably should read this book once a month. 😳
Jerry
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Max Lucado hits it out of the park once again!
Jammin Jenny
I found this audiobook on dealing with anxiety very uplifting. It comes at the problem from a very Christian perspective, saying that a lot of the time our anxiety is brought on by things beyond our control, and we basically need to focus on God. If you believe in a higher power, and have anxiety issues, you might find this book helpful.
Danielle
I grabbed Anxious for Nothing on a whim when I saw the lovely cover at my library. I expected a moving self-help book to help with my anxiety, instead I got a repetitious, mediocre story.

Lucado repeated the same scripture while making the same point throughout the book. As I began each chapter, I expected something new and refreshing, but I didn't find it. I did enjoy how quickly it went by.

On a side note, as a Catholic I caught on to some bitter, negativity towards our beliefs.

For those still w
David Eiffert
Feb 19, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is classic Max Lucado. I mean that in a good way. It's warm, heartfelt, and comforting for an anxious guy like me. Nothing mind-blowing or paradigm-shifting, just good reminders about trusting God. This is pure comfort food.
Ciara Wilkie
This book is more for people who haven't discovered Christianity or are very new to it. I didn't think it helped me other than saying we shouldn't worry because Jesus. Christians can have anxiety and it's more practical to tell us ways to deal versus not to worry.
Haley Arzt
A++ I will definitely read this again and probably give it to 5 or 6 people for Christmas gifts.
Noel
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calm, peace-filled, and full of truth. ❤ ...more
Madeline
This was a gift from a friend.

Some old but good information.
~☆~Autumn♥♥
I believe that GABA works best for anxiety because it worked for me. I believe that anxiety is a biochemical problem which may be genetic or due to diet.

I don't like Paul much so that didn't help since he quotes The Apostle Paul constantly. I have always felt that Paul hated women. I developed this feeling at a very young age and have never been able to get over it.
Amber Weinberg
Dec 26, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Thought this was a real book on anxiety, instead it reduces a disease to some mumbo-jumbo Christian BS. If someone had cancer or diabetes would these same people tell you all you need is prayer? Doubtful 👎🏻
Melissa
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Be Anxious for Nothing
Philippians 4:6

Max Lucado is one of my favorite authors and Pastor's. When I see any book by Max Lucado I must pick it up and read it.
Anxiety is one of fastest growing disorders everyone at some point in their life has or have suffered from Anxiety. Some suffer daily others every once in awhile. Anxiety can take over our lives making us sick. Our body's go numb, our head spins, our chest tightens and hurts making us feel as though we are having a heart attack.
Why do we l
Sep 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful.

The title "Anxious For Nothing" isn't a gentle scold on being anxious for no reason. The book acknowledges that there are many things in life that cause us anxiety. Rather, the book is about trusting God in such a way that gives Him control over our anxieties and leaves us exactly that...anxious for nothing. "Because the Lord is near, we can be anxious for nothing."

This is my first Max Lucado book, so I was a bit surprised at its actual brevity; only 152 pages of narrative
Jen Johnson
Nov 19, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My mom’s group decided to read this together, and that is the only reason I finished this. This book speaks to Christians (which is fine, that’s who it’s written for), but really only takes 11 chapters to basically say “take your worries to God in prayer.” Which is good advice to a point, but it never really address clinical anxiety or depression, other to vaguely mention that therapy is good. It’s very repetitive and bland, and all the examples seem to suggest that if you give your anxiety to G ...more
Rose Crawley
Feb 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember when I was first diagnosed with an anxiety disorder (which also was not long ago) I was angry with God. I knew people suffered from it but, I automatically due to the severity of it blamed God and thought “what did I do to deserve this!” Now looking back, that was a normal reaction. I am glad I picked up this book because now after not being angry anymore, although sometimes I still get waves of anger, I can trust God more. We should always give our problems and anxieties to God and n ...more
Meg Cahill
Jan 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. Sometimes Christians can be very hard on Christians that struggle with anxiety. Saying things such as, just pray more, or trust God more. This book is written from a perspective of understanding of those who struggle and key ways to overcome them by changing your thoughts and also meditating on Gods word.
Linda
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, nonfiction
When you find the right book at exactly the right time. I so needed this today! So inspiring. I could and should listen to it every day. I feel like the author wrote it just for me. I worry about most of the things he mentioned. Very helpful and highly recommended for anyone who worries a lot or suffers from anxiety! I might have to buy it!
Becky
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
FANTASTIC! I really needed this right now - my friend, who suggested it to me must have known that! The exact words I needed for the moment. Lucado is a master of taking the ordinary and making it Heavenly - challenging us to look upward and see the One who has it all under control.

• Finding I AM: How Jesus Fully Satisfies the Cry of Your Heart
  • Let God Fight Your Battles: Being Peaceful in the Storm
  • What Your Heart Needs for the Hard Days: 52 Encouraging Truths to Hold on to
  • A Confident Heart Devotional: 60 Days to Stop Doubting Yourself
  • Unexpected: Leave Fear Behind, Move Forward in Faith, Embrace the Adventure
  • Love Life Again: Finding Joy When Life Is Hard
  • The Women of Easter: Encounter the Savior with Mary of Bethany, Mary of Nazareth, and Mary Magdalene
  • Listen, Love, Repeat: Other-Centered Living in a Self-Centered World
  • Gideon: Your weakness. God's strength: Member Book
  • She's Still There: Rescuing the Girl in You
  • Taming the To-Do List
  • The Mended Heart: God's Healing for Your Broken Places
With more than 130 million products in print and several NYT bestsellers, Max Lucado is America's bestselling inspirational author. He serves the Oak Hills Church in San Antonio, Texas, where he lives with his wife, Denalyn, and their mischievous mutt, Andy. His next book is publishing August 2018 and is titled Unshakable Hope.

https:/
“Be careful what you think, because your thoughts run your life” (Prov. 4:23 NCV). Do you want to be happy tomorrow? Then” 3 likes
“We rest in him, find our nourishment in him. His roof of grace protects us from storms of guilt. His walls of providence secure us from destructive winds. His fireplace warms us during the lonely winters of life. We linger in the abode of Christ and never leave.” 2 likes