Start by marking “Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings” as Want to Read:
Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings

Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings

Beloved by nearly half a million Tarot enthusiasts, Rachel Pollack's Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom forever transformed the study of Tarot. This much-anticipated follow-up to Pollack's classic guidebook will inspire Tarot aficionados and inform a new generation of Tarot students. Enhanced by the author's personal stories and insights gained over the past three decades, th ...more
Published November 8th 2008 by Llewellyn Publications (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Rachel Pollack's Tarot Wisdom, please sign up.
Tenisha I would recommend this one over 78 Degrees, though neither is my first choice for complete beginners. Especially not if you're only going to be buying…moreI would recommend this one over 78 Degrees, though neither is my first choice for complete beginners. Especially not if you're only going to be buying only one book on the tarot. (less)

Caro
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: complete beginners
Rachel Pollack seems to be a famous person in the world of Tarotists, and one of her books, 78 Degrees of Wisdom is hailed as the "bible of Tarot".
Tarot Wisdom is apparently the updated and altered follow up to 78, so I purchased a used copy of this book, hoping it would enlighten me as much as the so-called bible of Tarot would.
I was half-way disappointed. Rachel Pollack offers one thing that is special: a comparative approach. She presents all the cards in the Tarot, separating Majors from Mi
Maggie Gordon
May 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Damn, and here I thought 78 Degrees of Wisdom was the more in-depth book on tarot that I have read. Then Pollack comes along with a follow-up, showcasing all the things she's learned in the intervening years! For tarot practitioners, both books are well-worth a read as they showcase such interesting, but different takes on the cards. Not a fan of Pollack's deck though, but there's plenty of others for me to hoard :)
Rachel Reed
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favourite 'general' tarot book.
culley
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I can’t imagine a better book for any tarot deck. The author shows the card face for 3-4 decks, then there is a 3-10 page write up describing history and interpretations. This is a fantastic reference book for the Tarot. I now have a copy of Pollack’s Shining Tribe deck, and the book she includes for her personal deck is easier to reference because the deck is so unique. But Tarot Wisdom includes more information and puts her deck in context. Once I manage a more detailed relationship with her d ...more
Marius
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tarot
Pollack expands with this book on her previous book 78 degrees of Wisdom. This book covers: A brief introduction, the history of the tarot and references to other authors works. The major Arcana, 10-15 pages each, including Paul Husons historical interpretations (although I recommend buying Husons book - you may consider reading my review of "The Mystical Origins of the Tarot"), all cards are illustrated with 6 or more different decks in black and white, each chapter ends with questions of self- ...more
ABCme
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
At the time of writing this review Tarot Wisdom has been around for 10 years. It's the revised version of Ms. Pollack's immensely popular Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom and still highly recommended for all indepth information on the tarot. However, the wheel keeps turning and new insights enter the market. The reason I gave this book 4 stars is due to Ethony Dawn's upcoming book Your Tarot Court: Read Any Deck with Confidence which I had the pleasure to preview.
Where Ms. Pollack covers a disap
Blair
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book much more than 78 Degrees of Wisdom. It was a much more interesting read and I loved the layout of the book. Additionally, it had even more information on the cards without being boring. 78 Degrees is a classic, but if you are deciding between this book or that one, GET THIS ONE.
Sg Frindle
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
My favorite of Rachel Pollack's Books
Rachael Moss
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tarot
This is truly a specialized encyclopedia. Wonderful read. Clear historical connections. Beautiful, down-to-earth view of an esoteric tool.
John Marani
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Tarot Wisdom: Spiritual Teachings and Deeper Meanings
Rachel Pollack
Llewellyn, 2008
ISBN-13: 978-0-7387-1309-0
By John Marani, CPTR

Rachel Pollack’s Tarot Wisdom is a book that I was incredibly interested in reading as soon as I heard of its existence. One of Pollack’s earlier works, Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom, is a personal favorite of mine, and so I was excited to see this new work, but at the same time, I was afraid to read it.

I realized soon after I opened Tarot Wisdom why I had been conc
Heather
Oct 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in Tarot
Recommended to Heather by: Ancient Mysteries (Austin, TX)
Relatively new to Tarot, I wanted something more informative than the not-so-helpful little booklets that come with most Tarot decks. The owner of a local shop recommended this book to me, and it definitely didn't disappoint. Pollack has years of Tarot experience under her belt, a very down-to-earth grasp of Tarot's history, and a wealth of Tarot information from many sources. She has a knack for engaging the reader; she constantly prompts the reader to meditate on and interpret symbolism for th ...more
Zoe
Mar 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stopped-reading

5/13/09 - Started reading this again in the past week. Now if only I can memorize the whole book...

8/28/09 - I decided to take this off my list for now. I'll probably use it as a reference book. It is a helpful book for comparing several tarot decks side-by-side and for thinking about systems of numerology.

1/29/12 - Picked this up again and am really getting into it. I find it to be my best reference book on tarot to date.
Rachel Strayer
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A more comprehensive and multi-faceted view of the tarot than I knew existed. It reveals the psychological, astrological, mystical, and mythical themes in the tarot that I've explored on my own, with startling concurrence. One of my favorite moments in the text is when Pollack explores archetypes in the court cards by attributing them to superhero symbology. An absolute must read for anybody interested/practicing the tarot, it has cemented Pollack in my mind as -the- tarot authority!
Deborah Welch
Apr 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Pollack's description of Major Arcana 0, The Fool, is one of the best I've ever read. That said, I 'foolishly' bought the book inthat I'm over-saturated with Tarot. In such spirit, I'm moving ahead, but slowly as I cannot capture the same sense of 'aha' with descriptions of the remainder of Major Arcana.
Lori Saul
This is a terrific book for those who want a more in-depth understanding of each card. The Minor and Major arcana are given detailed description and many possible meanings for interpretation. Take your time on each card and you'll understand your personal spreads (or for others) much better!
Julie
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have been reading this book out of order. I use it to enhance readings I perform on myself and close friends. Constantly jumping from one card to the next, trying to get a bigger and better picture of their meanings.
Nov 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tarot, owned, non-fiction
One of the better books of its type. I enjoy Pollack's writing style, and I admit, I continue to keep this book at the ready, for looking things up, rather than putting it back on the shelf with my other tarot books. I recommend it both to beginning tarot readers as well as more seasoned readers.
Princessjay
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A very interesting look at the numerology and kabbalah aspects of the tarot. An invaluable reference.
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, witchery, 2019
An even more fascinating read than it was the first time!
Alejandro
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I will say much of this went over my head, but I think it's a very thorough take on the tarot.

I will refer to it in my readings from now on.
Ellen Gilbert
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tarot
Nobody writes better and with more insight on the Tarot than Pollack. Indispensable for any reader but just as insightful for anyone on a spiritual path.
Jaina Bee
Dec 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tarot
I've been using this book in my daily readings, which is how I study tarot books. Plenty of good information and Rachel's unusual and insightful observations.
Denise

• Tarot Spreads: Layouts & Techniques to Empower Your Readings
  • Tarot 101: Mastering the Art of Reading the Cards
  • Around the Tarot in 78 Days: A Personal Journey Through the Cards
  • The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination
  • Power Tarot: More Than 100 Spreads That Give Specific Answers to Your Most Important Question
  • The Qabalistic Tarot: A Textbook of Mystical Philosophy
  • Tarot Plain and Simple
  • Tarot for Writers
  • Shadowscapes Tarot
  • A Magical Course in Tarot: Reading the Cards in a Whole New Way
  • Jung and Tarot: An Archetypal Journey
  • Learning the Tarot: A Tarot Book for Beginners
  • Holistic Tarot: An Integrative Approach to Using Tarot for Personal Growth
  • Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot: An Authoritative Examination of the World's Most Fascinating and Magical Tarot Cards
  • The Druid Craft Tarot
  • Complete Book of Tarot Spreads
  • The Essential Lenormand: Your Guide to Precise & Practical Fortunetelling
Rachel Pollack is an American science fiction author, comic book writer, and expert on divinatory tarot. Pollack has been a great influence on the women's spirituality movement.