Start by marking “Traitor in Her Arms (The Scarlet Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Traitor in Her Arms (The Scarlet Chronicles, #2)

Traitor in Her Arms

(The Scarlet Chronicles #2)

Two morally compromised souls wage a battle of wits—and seduction—against the backdrop of the French Revolution in this thrilling romance from bestselling author Shana Galen.

After her late husband leaves her in debt to some dangerous people, Lady Gabrielle McCullough is forced to become a thief. In the intervening years, her skills have not gone unnoticed. After being
Published August 22nd 2017 by Loveswept

To ask other readers questions about Traitor in Her Arms, please sign up.
Shana Galen In the Sons of the Revolution series, the brothers are separated as children when their chateau is attacked by peasants during the revolution. They…moreIn the Sons of the Revolution series, the brothers are separated as children when their chateau is attacked by peasants during the revolution. They then scatter and eventually make their way to England.(less)
Shana Galen Freddie Dewhurst and Anthony Dewhurst, from Traitor in Her Arms, share a name completely by accident. Anthony Dewhurst was a member of the League of…moreFreddie Dewhurst and Anthony Dewhurst, from Traitor in Her Arms, share a name completely by accident. Anthony Dewhurst was a member of the League of the Scarlet Pimpernel in the books by Baroness Orczy. His name couldn't be changed. Who knows? Maybe the two men are cousins...(less)

Start your review of Traitor in Her Arms (The Scarlet Chronicles, #2)
Barbara Rogers
May 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Series: The Scarlet Chronicles #1
Publication Date: August 22, 2017

Galen’s captivating descriptions paint a picture of Paris during the French Revolution that just sucks you right into the time and place. Breath coming fast, heart pounding, blood racing – you won’t be able to put it down once you start reading.

I’d like to address one thing right from the start. I have read several reviews that complained that the romance wasn’t front and center in this book. I sort of thought s
Caz
3.5 stars/ C+

Traitor in Her Arms, the first book in Shana Galen’s new Scarlet Chronicles series, takes place in Revolutionary France and features two individuals who are sent to Paris to undertake two very different and dangerous missions in order to fulfil debts owed to a pair of less than scrupulous characters back in England. A novel set in France at a momentous time in history featuring spies, feats of derring-do, a central couple who are keeping secrets and the Scarlet Pimpernel himself sounded right up m/>Traitor
Janice Hougland
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story so much I was doubly glad that it was a long one because I could enjoy it for more reading hours. Two unlikely people, two thieves, are nonetheless drawn to each other despite their dire circumstances in life. From their first meeting at a ball where they are both attempting to steal jewelry, Ramsey and Gabrielle “play with fire” while dodging creditors and cutthroats in England and Reign of Terror gendarmes in Paris during their daring-do to rescue a couple of citizens from t ...more
Donna
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderfully complex, compelling book that will keep you up reading it. I will admit that I have always liked the Scarlet Pimpernel story so I enjoyed his appearance in this book. This story contains a wonderful romance, danger, blackmail and accurate history.

Lady Gabrielle McCullough has become a thief to pay her late husband’s debts to some unsavory creditors. Ramsey Barnes, Earl of Sedgwick, is living a lie and will do anything to protect his secret. Gabrielle’s late husband was Ram
Carol Cork *Young at Heart Oldie*
PRE-RELEASE REVIEW - Publication Date: 22 August 2017

I really enjoyed this first book in Shana Galen’s new The Scarlett Chronicles series. Set during the French Revolution, it combines a well-written, action-packed story, with intriguing, flawed characters and a passionate romance. I have always loved the idea that the Scarlet Pimpernel actually existed and the fact that Ms. Galen uses that premise in this new series, only enhanced my enjoyment of this book.

PRE-RELEASE REVIEW - Publication Date: 22 August 2017

Gabrielle is not a thief by choice but by necessity. Her late husband was a heavy gambler and left large gambling debts and his creditors are hounding her for payment. If he doesn’t receive payment, one particularly unsavoury creditor has threated to exact payment in another way. It is either stealing or end up in a brothel!

Her expertise as a thief has been noticed by the Scarlet Pimpernel who wants her to travel to Paris to rescue the wife and daughter of the compte de Tonnerre, a close friend of the King. I love Gabrielle’s courage and compassion in agreeing to do it.

How could she refuse this desperate man? How could she allow a woman to be murdered and her child orphaned in a cold, harsh prison?

Ramsey has a secret which, if revealed, would cost him his life and bring suffering to those he loves. Unfortunately, a certain Madame Fouchet has incriminating documents which she is using to blackmail him into doing her bidding. He hates being under her control but has no choice because he will do whatever it takes to protect his family and those who depend on him. His latest assignment is to discover the identity of the Scarlett Pimpernel.

There had once been an undeniable attraction between Gabrielle and Ramsey and, after they shared a passionate interlude together, Ramsey was on the verge of asking her to marry him. However, when he failed to declare his intentions, Gabrielle married his best friend, George. Now, events are about to throw them together again which only serves to reignite and intensify that attraction.

When Ramsey discovers both he and Gabrielle are both going to Paris, he persuades her that she needs his help but intends to use her to uncover the Scarlet Pimpernel’s identity. I enjoyed seeing Ramsey’s struggle with his conflicting emotions. He has never thought of himself as loyal, noble or honourable but he is. Time and again, he could leave Gabrielle but he can’t because she means too much to him.

At some point, protecting her had become more important than protecting himself.

Some reviewers have criticised the book for its lack of romance, but I can’t imagine anything more romantic than a man willing to give his life for the woman he loves.

By his own admission, Gabrielle should not trust Ramsey, but his actions are continually at odds with his words. He is always there to protect her when she needs him, and shows compassion for people in a Paris prison whom he has never met. I like how she realises that she had no right to pass judgement on Ramsey for stealing and lying, when she has been guilty of the same thing herself, and his motives were far nobler than her own.

Who was she to judge? And hadn’t his motives been much nobler than hers? She had only wanted to save herself. He had an entire family, an entire estate, to think of.

The sexual tension between these two is palpable…

He rose hastily, fists clenched and jaw tight, and she realized he was angry. “Neither are you. You practically attack me when we come in here, and when I resist, you stand naked before me.” He paced, speaking quick, clipped English. “And then when I capitulate, you tell me no. What the hell is this?”

…and the danger only intensifies their desire for each other culminating in some highly charged love scenes.

I like how Ms. Galen includes moments of humour in the story which help to provide a welcome counter-balance to the darker elements of the story. My favourite scene is where Ramsey becomes somewhat distracted by Gabrielle’s disguise.

“I thought it might make movement easier in case we need to leave quickly.”
You’re wearing breeches. He almost said it again before he realized he’d already pointed that out.
“Don’t you agree?” she asked.
“I . . .” You’re wearing breeches. He finally looked up. She was wearing a man’s shirt and coat as well. “Where are your…?” He gestured helplessly at her shirt.

The plot has plenty of suspense, action and danger, and there were times when I was literally holding my breath, wondering what would happen next. I felt Ms. Galen resolved the issue of Ramsey’s ‘secret’ in a believable way.

Ms. Galen brought the chilling horrors of the Reign of Terror vividly to life and I could feel the blood lust of the crowd as the tumbrels rolled past and share the despair and hopelessness of the poor prisoners.

Certain members of the Scarlet Pimpernel’s League are introduced including Alexandra Martin (Alex), Gabrielle and Ramsey’s contact in Paris, who plays an important role in the story and really impressed me as a very smart and brave woman, worthy of her own story.

Gabrielle couldn’t help but wonder to whom the Pimpernel’s note was addressed – my sentiments exactly!

MY VERDICT: If you are looking for a fast-paced adventure combined with a passionate romance, then you will enjoy TRAITOR IN HER ARMS.

The Scarlet Chronicles series so far (click on the book covers for more details):

Traitor in Her Arms (The Scarlet Chronicles, #1) by Shana Galen

**I received a complimentary copy from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review. **

This review was first posted on my Rakes and Rascals Blog:

Phoenix77
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
In Shana Galen’s latest book Traitor in Her Arms the legendary Scarlett Pimpernel and his mission to save French nobles during the Revolution is the catalyst to many events in the story. I was surprised how little we see of the man himself but he still plays a very important role. Two secret quests, one to save an innocent woman’s life and the other to learn the Pimpernel’s true identity bring heroine and hero together under the best and worst of circumstances.

Lady Gabrielle McCullou
Jaci
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The first book in the new Scarlet Chronicles Series is an action packed adventure with heart stopping peril, steamy sex, and a truly wonderful love story. What would you have done if the Scarlet Pimpernel contacted you and asked you to go France during the revolution and steal a valuable piece of jewelry to bribe the warden to free a mother and her child? Gabrielle has had to learn how to survive to keep a roof over her head since her husband died and left her buried in debt. She is strong, stub ...more
Caitlyn Lynch
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fair warning; if a Regency novel also includes stories about the legendary Scarlet Pimpernel, I'm probably going to squee over it. If it's also written by Shana Galen, one of the finest writers in the Regency genre today, it's pretty much a sure-fire winner.

So when I saw Traitor In Her Arms available for review on NetGalley, I pounced to click and then crossed my fingers to be selected.

I was not disappointed. This is a fabulous Regency romp with plenty of drama and deeper themes underly
Lindsay
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
What I liked:

That Ramsey and Gabrielle had a history and backstory that made it plausible for them to have feelings for one another.

The plot was creative and not the formulaic HR I'm used to reading.

I found both MC's to be likeable.

I wanted to keep reading- I became invested, which has to say something.

It led me to look up a lot of information about the Reign of Terror, a period I really didn't know much about.

The writing is good- clear, descrip
Joanna Loves Reading
There are times when I wonder at my preferences in books. Visually the sight of blood and gore makes me queasy. I am not particularly fond of gore-filled movies, and often have to look away if it gets too much. Considering my preferences in these areas of life, why do I relish the romances set against a raw, gore-filled background? I honestly don't know, but I do. Historical romance stories set to the back drop of the French Revolution, the terror portion, have been some of my most enjoyable rea ...more
Tammy
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Got from NetGallery, for honest review.

I loved the story. I was pulled in and couldn't stop reading. The story made me feel like I was there watching the characters show the story. Loved the chemistry Ramsey and Gabrielle had together. The story it self was well written and had a nice steady pace to it. Also find myself wanting to read more from the author.

Thank you for letting me read your story.
Kristina Birch
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This was an edge of my seat read unlike any other historical romantic suspense I've read! Just when I thought everyone was safe, a new twist. But even with all the suspense the romance was not lost and in fact was absolutely wonderful and compelling. I cannot wait until the next in the series releases!
Norma
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When I read Historical Romance, I have things I MUST have and Shana Galen provides my prerequisites and then some. I loved this book and can't wait to read it again.

*Received a copy for my honest review.*
JoRead
First book in a new series by the author but just as great as any of her other series.
Widowed Gabrielle has no other choice but to resort to thievery to pay off her late husband’s gambling debts or she will have to face a fate much worse than jail. It’s not what she would have wanted to do with her life but at the time there was not much choice left for her. Lord Ramsey never thought Gabrielle would become the remarkable thief she seems to be, but then again they hadn’t talked to each other sin
Debra Martin
Mar 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Traitor in her Arms" is more suspense and intrigue than a straight romance. Usually the romance takes center-stage while the setting is secondary. Not so in this book. Gabrielle McCullough has been left in debt by her deceased gambling husband and is forced to thievery to raise cash. Ramsey Barnes has a secret that he will do anything to keep, including stealing a priceless necklace. When these two cross paths trying to steal the same item, their long-ago passion for each other sparks again. Wh ...more
AnnMarie
Aug 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Traitor in Her Arms is the first book in The Scarlet Chronicles series by Shana Galen.

Lady Gabrielle McCullough is a widow and her late husband has left her up to her ears in debt. His creditors are hounding her, one in particular who has threatened that if she doesn't pay up, he'll kidnap her sell her to a brothel. Her only option of repaying her debts is to become a thief, selling things she steals from the wealthy people whose balls she attends. She's very good at what she does, s
Evelyn
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed for www.buriedunderromance.com

Traitor in Her Arms, the first novel in the new Scarlet Chronicles series by best-selling author Shana Galen, is a delightful romp through London and Paris in search of the elusive Scarlet Pimpernel of historical infamy. Did he really exist? I’ll let you decide after reading this intriguing look into the French Revolution.
Widow Lady Gabrielle McCullough has to resort to thievery to pay the enormous debts left to her by her late husband. With one evil cred
eyes.2c
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Paris in the revolution!

The opening scenes are gritty and vivid, laced with a certain amount of gallows humour. Lady Gabrielle McCullough is in a tumbrel in Paris rumbling over cobblestones, having had her hair slashed off in readiness to meet Madame la Guillotine, and surrounded by crowds screaming for yet more beheadings. Yes! This new series has us smack in the middle of Paris at the time of the French Revolution. The scenes of gore and crowds howling for blood, the sansculotte, R
Monique
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TRAITOR IN HER ARMS is Shana Galen’s masterpiece!

Little did they know they would meet again when trying to steal a precious necklace. When her died while saddling her with his gambling debts, Lady Gabrielle McCullough had no choice but to become a thief or she would have to do whatever was needed to stay alive. When trying to get her hands on a valuable piece of jewelry, she comes face to face with the man she thought at one time would be her husband, but he never asked: Lord Ramsey Sedgwick, w
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*I received a copy from the author via NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.

I love a book that shows a different side of things and this is one of them. There are secrets and scandals surrounding both of them, but their hearts are in the right place with all of it. I loved that they have known each other for a long time, but thought they weren't supposed to be together for different reasons. I was so sucked in by the mystery of the Scarlet Pimpernel and how he brought them tog
Melanie
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If the above synopses doesn’t hook you into this story, here’s what I thought of it.

This is one of those stories that will stay with you well after you’ve read it and the reason for it are the complex characters that will touch your heart.

Shana Galen is one of those authors that can plot a story so well that you’ll be on the edge of your seat as you read. The pace, action and humor helps the dark moments of the story and makes it more real.

As I said it before
Jeri
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was so captivating set in the back drop of the French Revolution. Gabrielle must try and stave off creditors by deciding to elude them by going to France and help save people from the blade. She is summoned to this task by none other than the Scarlet Pimpernel. Lord Sedgewick is drawn into this journey with secrets of his own that may cost him more than he bargained. The plot was fast paced with intrigue and suspense. These two people are inexplicably drawn to each other, but can't se ...more
Kathy Bunbury
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story starts so very darkly I wasn't sure where it would take me, but oh what a ride! The author keeps you on tenterhooks throughout the story with few respites. You get the impression that nothing more can happen and then it does. This book gives a realistic look at the Reign of Terror with all the horror, desperation, despair, hunger, blood, gore, filth and odors there must have been. It also gives the reader an intriguing look into the lives of those few heroes and heroines that put thei ...more
Susan
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shana Galen never disappoints so I am always happy to read a new book from her. The story of Lady Gabrielle McCullough and the Earl of Sedgwick interwoven with the drama of the French Revolution and the Scarlet Pimpernel took me on a wild ride through that period in history. I learned so much about what was happening during that time. It was shocking but gripping to read what people lived through and I was left in suspense as to how the story would unfold. I look forward to more books in The Sca ...more
Molly
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First I want to say shana galen books are amazing and I will always preorder here books. I love Gabrielle, she was so brave to do what she did in the book. Sorry no spoilers. I can't wait for the sequel.
Erica Chilson
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this title to read and review for Wicked Reads

4 Stars.

I'm a sucker for Historical Romance, but what I enjoy the most is when an author writes outside of what is the norm for the genre. When a heroine has an unconventional career/backstory, versus being on the marriage mart, awaiting the perfect match, I always end up reading feverishly.

As the widow of a gambler husband, Gabrielle struggles to survive as creditors want her to pay the debt with her flesh. She ends up becoming a
Glittergirl
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, arc, bn
This is a well written, passionate, sometimes difficult to read story set during the Paris Reign of Terror of the French Revolution. It's an interesting take on the Scarlet Pimpernel, the "Robin Hood" of rescuing nobility out of Paris from under the judgment of the guillotine.

Viscountess Gabrielle McCullough, widow of Ramsey's best friend George, and Lord Ramsey Barnes, Earl of Sedgwick, meet once again in the most unexpected place, the bedroom of a duchess during a ball. Both thieves after the
Eileen Dandashi
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Even though I’d read only one of Galen’s books, Sapphires are an Earl’s Best Friend, I knew I was in for a treat.

I know a book has been successful in teaching me something when I highlight certain terms and later look them up. Author Shana Galen has done her homework about the Reign of Terror. She paints an accurate and bleak picture of the life of its nobility, or perhaps better said, the destruction of it.

The guillotine was a despicable killing machine. In Paris alone,
Sarah Wayne
Traitor in Her Arms by Shana Galen is a jewel thief book. I didn't realize that the entire book would be surrounded by this plot. I much prefer a romance book to place the romance first and other plot objectives secondary and therefore this book was just not for me, but luckily many readers prefer the opposite and if you are one of those, then you'll absolutely love this story. I wanted to like it more than I did. Thanks to Netgalley and Loveswept for the ARC in exchange for a honest review.
Erin Kelly
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Previously having read and enjoyed a Regency historical by Galen, I was looking forward to this one, especially when I noticed that it was set during the French Revolution. I was not disappointed, but this was not the light-hearted romp that I am accustomed to in historical romance.

The Story-
After her husband's death, Gabrielle is left with all of his gambling debt and no way to pay it back. She has taken to stealing expensive artifacts from the rich in order to keep her head a
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• No Other Love (Lost Heirs, #3)
  • The Widow Vanishes (Heart of Enquiry, #0.5)
  • The Duke Meets His Match
  • For the Duke's Eyes Only (School for Dukes, #2)
  • The Princess Wore Plaid (The Oxenburg Princes, #2.5)
  • Relentless (Vampires in America, #11.5)
  • The Duke I Once Knew (Unlikely Duchesses, #1)
  • A Fallow Heart (Tommy Creek, #2)
  • No Mistress Of Mine (An American Heiress in London, #4)
  • One Wild Winter's Eve (Honeycote, #4)
  • Twice as Wicked (Wicked Secrets, #1)
  • The Scottish Duke
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 10 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #10)
  • The Lady in Red (Season for Scandal, #3.5)
  • When a Girl Loves an Earl (Rescued from Ruin, #5)
  • When Tempting a Rogue (Victorian Soap Opera, #3)
  • The Illegitimate Duke (Diamonds in the Rough, #3)
  • Duke of Secrets (Moonlight Square, #2)
Shana Galen is three-time Rita award nominee and the bestselling author of fast-paced, witty, and adventurous Regency romances. Kirkus says of her books, "The road to happily-ever-after is intense, conflicted, suspenseful and fun," and RT Bookreviews calls her books “lighthearted yet poignant, humorous yet touching." She taught English at the middle and high school level off and on for eleven year ...more

The Scarlet Chronicles (4 books)
  • To Ruin a Gentleman (The Scarlet Chronicles, #1)
  • Taken by the Rake (The Scarlet Chronicles, #3)
  • To Tempt a Rebel (The Scarlet Chronicles, #4)
“He really did want to leave her alone. Forever. Every time they crossed paths he became more and more entangled. He didn't know why. It wasn't as though she was charming or pleasant. But she was beautiful and seductive as hell. Damn it!" Chapter 7” 1 likes