Start by marking “Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #1)

Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow

(Nevermoor #1)

4.40  ·  Rating details ·  15,863 ratings  ·  3,440 reviews
A breathtaking, enchanting new series by debut author Jessica Townsend, about a cursed girl who escapes death and finds herself in a magical world--but is then tested beyond her wildest imagination

Morrigan Crow is cursed. Having been born on Eventide, the unluckiest day for any child to be born, she's blamed for all local misfortunes, from hailstorms to heart attacks--and
Published October 10th 2017 by Hachette Australia

·  15,863 ratings  ·  3,440 reviews

Emma Giordano
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
This book is absolutely enchanting. Nevermoor is an exciting fantasy tale full of magic, mischief, and wonder. I cannot recommend it enough!

Nevermoor is by far the ONLY book I have read that comes close to bringing me the feelings I have while reading Harry Potter. It remains creative and unique while instilling the same emotions, excitement (and fear) of one of the greatest children’s novels of all time. That being said, Nevermoor truly stands on it’s own as a spectacular middle grade adventure
Zoë
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5/5
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Middle Grade is NOT my genre. I'm usually always disappointed but I keep trying just in case... and this book made it worth it! I mean... there's literally a giant talking cat!

I'll continue the series!
Mary Urban
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great. Now I have to wait with bated breath for my Hogwarts letter AND Wundrous Society invitation to arrive? One was hard enough, two is just unfair.
Melanie

Whenever people compare things to Harry Potter I immediately become wary of whatever they are comparing to it. I know this mostly comes from nostalgia, but still, I feel like saying something is “the next Harry Potter” is not only the highest praise, but also setting that thing up for the greatest fall. It took me a while to pick Nevermoor: The Trial
Riley
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
me: i don't really like middle grade

Nevermoor: hi

me: talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before
Lola
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars. This could be the beginning of a new series phenomenon. What do you say, Jessica Townsend? Are you ready for it?

Morrigan Crow was born to die on her eleventh birthday. She is cursed. But an invitation to the elusive Wundrous Society changes her destiny.

She needs to pass challenging trials that will determine if she has it in her to be part of something bigger than herself and join the elite group.

But everyone seems to have a talent, something that makes them… magical. Except her.
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Fanfreakingtastic!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️
Middle of the road middle grade.

That best describes this reading experience for me, which was a huge bummer.

Someone I follow gushed about this book and how "magical" it was...and it just didn't live up to those expectations for me, sadly.

In fact, this read like a book that was trying too hard to be the next big movie franchise. A lot of the elements of the book felt very choppy and very clearly borrowed from other huge blockbusters, i.e., Harry Potter (obviously), The Hunger Games, Mary Poppins
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was SO GOOD. It’s no surprise that I’m not much of a fantasy or middle grade reader but I still found this to be absolutely charming 💕
Ashley Nuckles
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This took me literally no time at all because this story is SO. GOOD. This world is the most unique thing I’ve read in a very long time, and the whole thing was filled with so many twists and turns and surprises I was left on the edge of my seat the ENTIRE. TIME. I need the next one NOW. NOOOWWWWW.
Heather
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
What a fun middle grade read!! I don’t read of this genre & I am kicking myself for not! This was so whimsical & just downright fun!!

I would highly recommend if your looking for a fun read!
My Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
 Li'l Owl ~ Incorrigible Reader
I loved this audiobook, narrated by Gemma Whelan so much the first time around! I had always planned to listen to it again and now seems like the perfect time to do so as the second book in this series, Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow is set to be released next month on November 13, 2018.

I will be writing a second review here.

I saved my first review below if you're interested in reading it.
(view spoiler)
Phrynne
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5000-books
The Trials of Morrigan Crow is one of those middle grade children's books which is still perfectly readable by adults who like fantasy. I loved it.

Jessica Townsend introduces her magical world by saying little but showing lots - just the way it should be done. There's a wonderful talking cat and a hotel which creates itself according to the resident's needs and desires. There are dragons and dragon riders. There are witches and people who can perform amazing tasks. And there is much more!

All of
Carolyn  K.
Nov 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
What in the world...

Jessica Townsend's Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow had garnered an exceeding amount of praise and recognition throughout news articles, catching my attention as well. From the film rights already sold to a 7-figure deal between major publishers and even being likened to Harry Potter (I mean no I didn't buy it of course, but c'mon don't we readers all get hopeful that the next big thing is finally here?) Nevermoor ignited so much buzz on the web that I had to see for m
Sara (sarawithoutanH)
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Ok, I'm gonna have to rethink my "I don't like middle grade" stance. This was beautiful and perfect and I need the next book ASAP. It's so creative and special and I just can't find enough nice things to say about it.
Helene Jeppesen
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful story that sends you on a journey, quite like Harry Potter. I think that if I had read this as a child, I would’ve given it 5 stars. But reading it as an adult was very much like reading the first Harry Potter book (and probably also other fantasy children’s books I can’t think of now), which made me able to clearly predict and guess the storyline before it played out.
That being said, this was a wonderful story that contains everything that a children’s book should contain:
Anne Goldschrift
Oh mein Gott, ich LIEBE dieses Buch!!! ❤❤❤
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Nope. The girl gets blamed for the most stupid things ever. This makes the premise completely unbelievable and the book not worth reading.

Why would the children be made to read this? In order to damage their potential for logical thinking or something?

DNF.
Umut Reviews
I enjoyed this book. I liked Morrigan as a character, she’s very charming. As always, there’s a villain and the good, and there are many messages while she’s going through the trials. The writing was quite good. Townsend made the story very exciting, very action packed. The world is described in detail that was very enjoyable to read. The side characters were even very well thought through.
If you’re going to pick up a middle grade book to enjoy your time and get lost in a magical world with a cu
Brenda
Born as a cursed girl destined to die on the night of her eleventh birthday, Morrigan Crow was resigned to the fact that it was her fault whenever things went wrong. But as the hours crept toward midnight, Morrigan was rescued – whisked away in an unusual vehicle by a total stranger. Jupiter North was her saviour, and patron, and their arrival in Nevermoor, a magical place which had Morrigan enthralled, felt like a dream.

Hotel Deucalion was to be her home; it was where Jupiter lived – in fact he
Kaitlin
Oct 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, this was brilliantly fun. I see why it's so often compared to Harry Potter, but it's unique in its own right and I really found it a fun story!

This follows Morrigan Crow, a young girl who is cursed and blamed for all of the problems that occur in her town. However, although Morrigan's life up until now hasn't been the best, she is trying to make the most of it because within a year Eventide is due to come and start a new Age and that means she's due to die.

Morrigan was a character I liked
Romie
I don't know why, but this book made me feel extremely nostalgic, and somehow I loved it. I cannot wait to get to the second book so I can be back in this world with all these amazing characters! (4.25)
p.s. I loved the way this book dealt with immigration, it absolutely broke my heart, but I think it's important to talk about the way immigrants are treated, and this book did that brilliantly

“Fasten your seat belt, Morrigan Crow. And whatever you do, don’t close your eyes.”
“What happens if I clos
Ian
There is more than just a little of Harry Potter in this book and I still don't quite know what I think about that.

I love the world the author is creating, but those similarities make me uncomfortable. Having said that, The Trials of Morrigan Crow is a debut and I guess debut novels often reflect the author's influences.

And the story really is magical. I believe 20th Century Fox have snapped up the movie rights to it already after only one book.
Sarah Swann
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOOOOOOW!!!! I loved this so much! This one gave me all of the same feelings I had when I read Harry Potter. It was magical and whimsical. It was incredibly creative and the way it was written made it so easy to imagine. I could picture every detail so clearly. I loved every word of this book and I’m so excited for this new series!
Tanja Voosen
Kurzmeinung

Das Buch war nicht komplett perfekt und es gab 2-3 Dinge, die ich nicht so gerne mochte, aber insgesamt eines der besten Kinderbücher, das ich gelesen habe. So eine Mischung aus Harry Potter, die Chroniken vom Anbeginn und Anastasia McCrumpet - also verrückt, originell, witzig, mit viel Herz und abenteuerlichen Elementen. Ich hab das Lesen sehr genossen und freue mich riesig auf den zweiten Band! Die Geschichte solltet ihr definitiv im Auge behalten, wenn ihr sie noch nicht kennt!

Komp
Iulia
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
I absolutely loved Nevermoor, but I can't help wishing I was a kid, so I could enjoy it even more.
Schizanthus
Warning: Unpopular Opinion Ahead

I was so excited about this book but unfortunately I’m in the minority here and couldn’t make it past 36%. There were too many obvious nods to other books so I ended up feeling like I was reading a list of the author’s favourite things. Amongst others, it was as if I were rereading Roald Dahl, Harry Potter, Mary Poppins, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, and possibly rewatching a Gilmore Girls episode, but all mashed up and distorted.

I keep going back to i
Monica
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-loved
Oh man this was so charming and so much fun! I loved the world, the characters, and all the twists and turns. Definitely a new favorite series.
Bianca Visagie
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read the full review at www.yourwordsmyink.com

I wish my 11-year-old-self had read this book. It is fantastic and magical and wonderful and a delight to read. Townsend paints such a vivid picture and creates such a stunningly realistic, yet magical world, I wish I could live in Nevermoor. This book feels like Harry Potter, Narnia, Dr Seuss and all the best memories of your childhood rolled into one. The plot is as unique as the world Townsend created and I honestly cannot wait to read more.

This b
  • Tilly and the Bookwanderers (Pages & Co., #1)
  • The Extremely Inconvenient Adventures of Bronte Mettlestone (Kingdoms & Empires, #1)
  • Withering-By-Sea (A Stella Montgomery Intrigue, #1)
  • Begone the Raggedy Witches (The Wild Magic Trilogy #1)
  • Wed Wabbit
  • The Adventurers Guild (The Adventurers Guild #1)
  • Podkin One-Ear (The Five Realms #1)
  • The Train to Impossible Places: A Cursed Delivery
  • The Way Past Winter
  • The Bookshop Girl
  • The Apprentice Witch (The Apprentice Witch, #1)
  • Dragon's Green (Worldquake Sequence, #1)
  • The Creature of the Pines (The Unicorn Rescue Society, #1)
  • Amelia Fang and the Barbaric Ball
  • Because of You
  • The Ones That Disappeared
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Serpent's Secret (Kiranmala and the Kingdom Beyond, #1)

Nevermoor (2 books)
  • Wundersmith: The Calling of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #2)
“The point is—as far as the Society is concerned—if you are not honest, and determined, and brave, then it doesn’t matter how talented you are.” 40 likes
“Fenestra was silent for a while, and Morrigan thought she’d fallen asleep standing up. Then she felt something warm, wet, and sandpapery lick the entire right side of her face. She sniffled again, and Fen’s big gray head rubbed her shoulder affectionately. “Thanks, Fen,” Morrigan said quietly. She heard Fenestra padding softly to the door. “Fen?” “Mmm?” “Your saliva smells like sardines.” “Yeah, well. I’m a cat.” “Now my face smells like sardines.” “I don’t care. I’m a cat.” “Night, Fen.” 24 likes